• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Back Room Tier List Opinions

Dingus

Smash Cadet
i wonder why tiers keep on being discussed for ever and ever? what are exactly the benefits of knwoing the perfect tier list, i dont know.
So when your friend keeps blaming his losses on his ****ty character, you can in fact show him that kirby is high tier.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Why is Battlecow always the one who posts the responses I expect *rolls eyes*

The difference is that we still play Smash 64, while pretty much nobody plays RBY competitively anymore as far as I know, except maybe occasionally for the lolz. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
If a guy who knows what he's talking about says it's old, then odds are it's outdated in some way, i.e. the tier list has changed and yours is wrong. "It's an old game" is not an acceptable response to that.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
RBY is pretty dead, but there are still a lot of players that know their stuff. I run a community for competitive RBY and it's pretty active, though a small group (~15 regulars).

And the metagame has been set in stone for eons, but Smogon focuses on the current generation and is a lot more general.

The Star King

Smash Hero
OK I guess. I thought it was mostly dead but I can't say I'm sure.

Edit: Ninja'd. So the metagame has been set in stone, yet you still feel that tier list is outdated?

t3h Icy

Smash Master
We explore everything in the game instead of just the standard stuff, and there are very slight rule variations (we ban Wrapping moves and we don't do single game sets). We also made tiers so each tier is playable itself, instead of just using BL (Borderline) as a ban tier for UU (Underused). The average player at Smogon isn't as fluent with RBY, but they're the main place for what's current and for general stuff.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
Psychic is the best type defensively and decent offensively, but really normal has a better pool of pokemon and better STAB moves. That sounds more like kirby to me. Normal is the kirby of pokemon. Or maybe it would be the pikachu of pokemon? But pikachu's already electric... I guess psychic could be fox then?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Psychic types are the Kirby of RBY right?

I feel like I knew this even when I played it as a kid.
Don't think Kirby is a good analogy, but yeah Psychic types are OP. One weakness that had no good attacks and only resisted by itself, lol wut were they thinking

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Psychic being the best offensive type is kind of exaggerated, but it's still a great type. The main thing is both of the Uber Pokemon (Mewtwo and Mew) are Psychic. Psychic is also only resisted by one type (Psychic, lol) and the main Psychic move (Psychic, LOL) lowers Special 30% of the time, so the damage piles up.

Is Psychic the best offensive type? Psychic Pokemon are some of the best, but Ice, Rock, Ground, Flying, etc are much better since they're effective against more types. Psychic is also only super-effective against Fighting and Poison, and in OU, the only Pokemon of those two types that is really viable is Gengar. Ice on the other hand is super-effective against Flying, Dragon, Grass and Ground, and only resisted by Water and Ice. It's a much better offensive type.

Defensively, again Psychic Pokemon happen to be some of the best, but Psychic type itself kind of bites. It resists other Psychics, Fighting (lol), immunity to Lick, and that's it. Sure, it doesn't really have any weaknesses, but Psychics don't really resist anything either. A much better defensive type is Ghost which has two immunities, one resistance and only one basically non-existent weakness, but unfortunately, the Ghosts are all Poison. Water is also great having three resistances and only two weaknesses

Is Psychic type the Kirby of RBY? I'd say so; that's a really good analogy. Extremely user-friendly, low-risk, high-reward, but you need a combination of types to do well and an all or mostly Psychic team is super easy to stall against. My main team consists of three Psychics and three Normals.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic, haha, but if any of you are interested, I have a 200-page Advanced Battling guide on GameFAQs all about it. Or if anyone wants to PM me any questions, I'll be happy to answer! :D

how about lvl 255?
It's impossible to have a Mewtwo at Level 255 due to his experience growth type. The max is 237.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Don't think Kirby is a good analogy, but yeah Psychic types are OP. One weakness that had no good attacks and only resisted by itself, lol wut were they thinking
I was thinking in the sense that even noobs can tell Psychic is overpowered.

Psychic being the best offensive type is kind of exaggerated, but it's still a great type. The main thing is both of the Uber Pokemon (Mewtwo and Mew) are Psychic. Psychic is also only resisted by one type (Psychic, lol) and the main Psychic move (Psychic, LOL) lowers Special 30% of the time, so the damage piles up.

Is Psychic the best offensive type? Psychic Pokemon are some of the best, but Ice, Rock, Ground, Flying, etc are much better since they're effective against more types. Psychic is also only super-effective against Fighting and Poison, and in OU, the only Pokemon of those two types that is really viable is Gengar. Ice on the other hand is super-effective against Flying, Dragon, Grass and Ground, and only resisted by Water and Ice. It's a much better offensive type.

Defensively, again Psychic Pokemon happen to be some of the best, but Psychic type itself kind of bites. It resists other Psychics, Fighting (lol), immunity to Lick, and that's it. Sure, it doesn't really have any weaknesses, but Psychics don't really resist anything either. A much better defensive type is Ghost which has two immunities, one resistance and only one basically non-existent weakness, but unfortunately, the Ghosts are all Poison. Water is also great having three resistances and only two weaknesses

Is Psychic type the Kirby of RBY? I'd say so; that's a really good analogy. Extremely user-friendly, low-risk, high-reward, but you need a combination of types to do well and an all or mostly Psychic team is super easy to stall against. My main team consists of three Psychics and three Normals.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic, haha, but if any of you are interested, I have a 200-page Advanced Battling guide on GameFAQs all about it. Or if anyone wants to PM me any questions, I'll be happy to answer! :D

It's impossible to have a Mewtwo at Level 255 due to his experience growth type. The max is 237.
interesting info. and yeah I prefer the cliff notes rather than reading a 200 pg document about a game I don't play any more haha

asianaussie

Smash Hero
They are tied. Link got more meaningful deviance imo (10ths and 9ths), but Luigi had the 7th that pushed his ranking (and SD) up.

SD means nothing here though.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Dont worry too much about it. Its not like the few people that voted is the only real answer. If do a real process im sure we find out who of link and luigi that is the best.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
after playing in the low tier tourney i agree with nintendude's vote that DK should be 10th

okisme

Smash Cadet
ness can do the samething with down air which is why some think ness is good, both are awful in my opinion

Seems mostly accurate. I believe Link should have a higher place due to his heavy weight, disjointed hitbox and great projectile game. But not that much higher, just a tiny bit, enough to rank over Luigi instead of a tie. Luigi only has one projectile attack (fireball) which is definitely beaten by Link's boomerang alone. Link has a disjointed hitbox and heavy weight, better projectiles, and good range when attacking. I believe Luigi's recovery wins because of how powerful it is when used as a regular move. Overall, in my opinion, Link wins over Luigi. Other than that, I believe %100 in the list. Good job. I've seen Ness listed as "S-Rank" along with Fox and Pikachu on other sites and thought "WTF". I've never thought of Ness as THAT great a character, more of a C-tier fighter. Fox is good but not as good as Pikachu.

Pikachu is nothing short of amazing: recovery distance, projectile with special properties (travels along ground, moves as a ball at a 45 degree southeast/southwest angle from the air until it hits ground and starts ground path, at least as memory serves, fast attacks, great damage dealer, thunder's properties in certain situations) I haven't played N64 smash in a while, just a few short sessions in the last few days. I forgot about Pikachu whom I mained when the game first came out, like if their projectile travels along the edge and under the stage like melee... ugh, I was 7 or 8 when I last played, now 17 and hoping to get back into it. Playing it on my computer at home is upsetting me due to odd graphics and the weird feel of using a keyboard instead of a controller.

Looking to trade for N64 smash and hopefully an N64 controller. Message me if interested. I have PS2 games, and GBA games. PS2 in normal disc form with cases and GBA games in cartridge form, no cases. I will mail my stuff first. If you do not mail back/steal from me, I will take legal action. I will trade two games for Smash that I own and another game of mine for an N64 controller.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
If you do not mail back/steal from me, I will take legal action. I will trade two games for Smash that I own and another game of mine for an N64 controller.
Lol really? Why would you ever put your self in that situation in the first place :p

You'll end up getting ripped off and your legal aid probably wont do too much.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I personally put Link above Luigi, I think Luigi basically can't approach and suffers from what Samus has issues with (especially at high levels due to smash DI.)

Top Bottom