• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Smash Discussion

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Originally posted by Cubed64
To put our videos on smashboards we will have to start up a small website over angelfire or something. Getting the videos from the VHS to the computer seems to be the hardest step, anyone got any ideas?
actually, you don't need any sites. just get the dc++ client (there's a thread somewhere in melee discussion about it, with the address for the hub and everything.) and toss those vids into your shared folder. they'll spread from there and you don't have to worry about paying for a site's bandwidth or having it fail from too much d/ling or anything like that.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Thanks a heap for the ideas CORY, rmusgrave and SabreAnt. I don't like the idea of taping on a VCR because there is no audio for the people playing. I would like to use the video recorder so we can get the people talking and stuff.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Why not do both? Tape the matches, via VHS and tape the audio on the camera. It shouldn't be too hard to switch the sound around if you have any type of video editing stuff.
And the Ant has survived the latest voting?

BTW, in the east, do you guys have the Broadband addapters for the GC?

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by Mic_128:
Why not do both? Tape the matches, via VHS and tape the audio on the camera.
Well, that just means more work that i cant be bothered doing. If we cant find a way to digitise the video camera tapes we will just have to tape them on VHS with no audio.

kupo

Smash Lord
eh...leave me out of the recording matches. I'm just not *cough*cough* "good enough" says the person who edited my post few days back. Yeah, you did say it. ;)

Cubed64: Taping both matches and talking at the same time doesn't fit. I mean, we're here to SEE the matches, are we not? Unless, we bag the crap out of each other, I don't see the point in taping both. LOL, I can do my *WOOOOARH* (Shaz and Jon ;)).
Uh...if you meant something else...then...uh...

*runs*

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by Kupo:
Unless, we bag the crap out of each other, I don't see the point in taping both.
Well what else would you expect us to do. We would only ever complement each other if we pull off a really pro move. We have to have us talking so people on the boards can see just what Aussie smashers are like. Anyway, its more fun with us talking to each other but with 16 people in the room the conversation might be a bit hard to decipher.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
I'm only concerned with getting the visuals on the net. I could care less about the audio. My brother owns webspace, I'll put them up there. Although I am interested in getting Emily's warcry on tape ;)

kupo

Smash Lord
We have to have us talking so people on the boards can see just what Aussie smashers are like
Nobody cares.
Now that I think about it, I find it stupid recording both. Since when do people record matches while talking?
Compliment on doing pro moves? HA HA HA...*whatever*:rolleyes:

Jon: Or record it on its own...;). *~* Btw, FFx2 is awesome. I agree w/ you about Paine :).*~*

Mic: *Whips out a chainsaw*

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
You hacks, stop wasting space. I'd prefer it if my voice wasn't on the net anyway. I hate my voice on recordings! btw if any of you remember when I talked about how I was cleaning my room and fews pages back, well the news on that front is: I'M NEARLY DONE! Ha, see I'm allowed to waste space too!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Originally posted by SabreAnt
I'd prefer it if my voice wasn't on the net anyway. I hate my voice on recordings!
I heartily agree. I don't particuarly like my voice. It's sounds diferent than it sounds from behind the mouth. Does that sound right?

Anyway, Do you guys in the east have the Broadband adapter over there yet?

And Em-*whips out pistol*

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Yay, now i have the internet at home, no more school computers!, no more hiding the page when a teacher walks by!, no more censorship from videos! Yay, Yay!

Anyway, does anyone know when the broadband adapter is coming out in australia? Heres a question for you: If they release melee again with internet connection, would you buy it, even if it was really expensive or would you wait?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hopefully Melee 2 for the N5 is net capable. And thatt I have net then. Sigh.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
I read that the project name for the next Nintendo system is Nexus. Supposedly Nintendo is going to release its next system sometime next year around September/November but how true these reports are is still to be seen.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
My mistake. Hopefully my remark about an early release for the next console is true. If it is, it seems that the PS3 and XBOX 2 will be on its way soon as well.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
erk 2nd page again

Well I have nothing valueable to contribute, this is a bump post. however I would like to say that if N5 (whatever) comes out in 2005, it would be much the same pleasurable year as was 2002 with the GC and SWII released consecutively. 2005 would mark N5 and SWIII!!! :D

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Pretty close to the 2nd page

It was rather enjoyable that the GC and SWII were released together. If the trend follows, the N5 will have alot of open options for game designs and sequels to games on the cube.
And last but not least : Does anyone know the release date for the following games- Metroid Prime 2 and Starcraft Ghost

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Theres a Metroid topic in the Lighthouse, you could check there for a possible release date.

Going to record some matches at Cronos house some time soon, kupo may come but she works too often and may miss out. It'll all be a matter of time before the vids reach the net after that.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
May huh? Cant wait.

Originally by SabreAnt:
Going to record some matches at Cronos house some time soon, kupo may come but she works too often and may miss out. It'll all be a matter of time before the vids reach the net after that.
Excellent. It will be good to see them. Ive seen most of the vids on the boards and any new ones would be interesting.

kupo

Smash Lord
I may miss out? Geez, you never call...but meh, work's cool at the moment, and I'm enjoying it heaps.

Anyways, yeah, don't expect anything special when you see how Jon and shaz play. kekeke.

FinalAtomicBustr

Smash Rookie
Possible Tournys in AU

Hi

I'm currently kinda (i say that cos I'm more in the bg of things atm) running an Australian Street Fighter site. Although our main focus is CvS2, MvC2 and SF3:3rd Strike we also support the SFEX series, SF2 series and KOF. The main thing we do is tournaments. We run them about bi-monthly mainly in Sydney and Melbourne. We've got players all around the country (the main bulk in Sydney and Melbourne) who even travel interstate to compete. We've run a few "national" sized events in the past and are going hold another one mid year incorporating 3D fighters into the mix.

Anyway, I think that's enough background with my site and what we do - now to how I offer to help.

I was hoping to incorporate SSBM into our next national tourny. I can't give the url of the site away here, but if you PM/email me, I'll send you the link and you can check us out for yourselves.

What I need to know is the interest in it. I'm probably going to include SSBM anyway (as half of the tournament will be on console and span a weekend); but if interest in it is not serious, I won't bother with making a proper tournament for it. It will be there (cos I want to play it and get some SF players into it), just not in a fully fledged tournament capacity.

Send me a PM or email. Hope to hear from some people soon.

Justin
Final Atomic Buster

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Ok this sounds very interesting. I could care less about Street Fighter but SSBM is on the cards so I'll rock up to anywhere in VIC. I'll also drive my fellow smashers Cronos_Rainbow, his woman, Kupo and a thing I like to call Dale. :)

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
We've run a few "national" sized events in the past and are going hold another one mid year incorporating 3D fighters into the mix.
Does that include WA. Oh please say yes. If you do i know many people that will be more than happy to turn up to wherever this will be held and play but only if SSBM is in the playlist. All the others are irrelivent.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Yeah. SSB. I havent played that in years. Just the memory of Blastoise makes me wince in pain. Not to mention every other cardboard cut-out graphic that is in that game. However it wouldnt be too bad to play it again just for historys sake.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey, If you guys aren't doing anything next weekend, would you guys like to come over? We've moved, set up everything, nothing has fallen off or apart for the last 2 weeks, I've settled in to Tafe life (zzzzzzzzzzzzz lunch break zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) and now that I've got a bigger games room....... If so, let me know, I'll give you guys directions if needed. Ooh, and I'll PM you guys my new number too.

kupo

Smash Lord
I could care less about Street Fighter
*thinks back*...Because you lost to the comp. on your first go? C'mon, I'll take you on SnK. We can do bets...kekeke.
All the others are irrelivent.
You've got to try out the others, Cubed :).

If only they could throw in a Virtual On tourney.

Now that's Irrelevant! :p

Say Jonk...are your vids EVER gonna be out? Seems to be all talk so far...*grins*
I'll wait...

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
I have yet to find a convenient time to record them as Shaz and I both need a large space of time where neither of us has to do anything and I am able to unhook my VCR and take it to his house, and set it up there. My mum likes to record things often you see. Shaz is poor so he doesn't have VCR of his own. That makes things 100% more difficult as you can imagine.

Re: Street Fighter. Yes I'm not very good at them but with all games I can say that I have never lost to the cp on my first shot. Never. Aside from that, SF's are basically all the same. Played one, played em all. I have played lots of them too, so its not as though I do not speak from experience.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Originally by Mic_128:
Hey, If you guys aren't doing anything next weekend, would you guys like to come over?
OMG. You cannot br serious! Gee let me think, i have a 2000 word essay to finish, 2 phyiscs tests coming up, 2 History assignments due and apllicable maths is killing me. I dont think we will be able to play untill either the weekend before the holidays or on the holidays. Untill then myself, Quetza and The Stichface will be far too busy. Sorry:( :(

Originally by Kupo:
You've got to try out the others, Cubed
Fine. Ill play the others.

FinalAtomicBustr

Smash Rookie
more on tourny

Cool, thanks for showing some interest in this guys. :)

First up, I should probably clarify some things about this event so no one gets the wrong idea.

The tournament will be run on the w/e of July 24-25 (most likely, if not very close to that); the Saturday event will be held at Playtime Arcade in Sydney on George St, and the Sunday event will be in a hall of some sort housing around 10 or so consoles running every fighting game we can possibly think of. The reason for the split venue is to keep our patrons all happy; no one denies that playing on consoles all night is total fun, but most SF players prefer the arcade over a console evironment/controls for tournament purposes.

I'm not here to get into a debate over whether SF is better than SSBM, so I'll leave the mark of "all the same" alone ;). If you're Australian, shoot me a PM (do we have PMs here?) or email and I'll give you our URL and you can see what there is to offer.

BTW, its actually thanks to Shoryuken.com (possibly worlds largest SF community) and their massive EVO tournament that we're even considering SSBM. They're decided to include it in this year's EVO and the footage that will be obtained from that should be awesome to watch.

While I'm on that, has anyone visited shoryuken.com? They have quite a large community (as I said) but I've just noticed that there's a whole heap of SSBM talk and how there's a chance that the turnout for that game alone could match the total turnout of the other games combined!! O_o I wasn't aware that this game was that big... then again, I'm kinda skimming over posts here, so many I'm reading it wrong.

Anyway, back to our country.

If interest in SSBM doesn't compare to our regular games (we get at least 35 people for each game, some overlapping. All up, we're expecting about 60 odd for the whole tournament in all games) then I won't be able to run a proper tournament for it.

However, this doesn't mean that this game won't be included at all. I'm a big SSBM fan and will have it there on the Sunday anyway cos I want to play it and get others into it. If you guys are interested in just coming for that day, then that's fine too.

That's all I can think of for now that I wanted to say. There was more I think, but I can't remember it now ;). Let me know if there's anything that needs more clarification.

Justin
Final Atomic Buster

P.S. Virtual On could be included if you don't mind playing on DC pads, or if you can provide the sticks. I'll likely bring Gotcha Force and Custom Robo anyway tho :). The more games, the merrier ;).

Top Bottom