• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Brawl Tier List Discussion Thread(?)

Bjay

Smash Lord
Tier lists are for pansies..

A good player will make their character work.. Imo tier lists are used as excuses for characters being 'better' than others because they seem more powerful off the bat or for people who can;t choose their own character and instead choose the 'op' one in an attempt to be a better player..

Brawl has a new style of play, new engine and is alot more balanced to an extent than melee was.. So rather then debate over which character is better, why not just go play the game and choose a character you enjoy and play them FFS..

BLAH..!
No. Tier lists, are tier lists.

Whether you are serious or not, whether you care or not, whether it is important, or relevant, tiers will always exist. It's pretty much normal for a hierarchy of some sort to always exist.

Yes, there will always be exceptions of those who can play a 'bottom tier' character really well, but regardless, no matter how much you try to ignore that X is top tier and Y is bottom tier, it will always be there.

You can balance characters, you can nerf characters, you can completely buff them, but any of them, and each one of them, will contribute to new changes in the game.

Just because something is new, doesn't mean it will balance. As it is new, it will open up (and it has already begun) a lot of new things, such as this and that being broken, playstyles, etc etc, I don't think I need to elaborate on that, otherwise I might get a bit carried away and become pedantic.

But, I do believe this game is more balanced. Of course when I say that though, I don't mean perfectly balanced. I just mean more balanced than Melee. But of course, you'll always have your characters that are much superior than others. After all:

Mic_128 said -

Low tier is the new Mid tier
^ that sorta sums it up for me.

Cause yeah, you will have many characters who weren't as good, who are much better. But nonetheless, you'll still have your characters who just exceed beyond the rest.

Players all and will always have their own reasons for liking/enjoying certain characters of the game, no matter how good, absurd, ridiculous, or farfetch'd their reason is.

I myself, am neutral and just play the game and it's pretty much 'anything goes' for me...yeah I don't know why I brought that up. I just did ^_^

But yes, the game is new, and already, many things are being discovered.

Whether things will change (much) in the future, who knows, I personally don't mind either way.

But yeah, just play the game and enjoy yourself. A tier list ain't coming out for a while anyway...you should just ignore it too. But naturally, that won't happen. :(

--

On a side-note:

And yay for those 5 characters.

I'll be the marth! Eg noob.
Dedu's quote is win, lol.

----

This post was typed with a nice happy grin on my face whilst remaining calm without any hostility, or flaming in mind at all, just the intention of a lovely discussion.

Kowbrainz

Smash Cadet
Something that tends to be forgotten (especially with a lot of new players) is that tier lists are only relevant to players competing at the topmost level of play who are relatively equal in skill level- tiers aren't going to mean squat when people are playing at any level under that. In melee, a Pichu mainer can easily defeat a Fox if the players are either playing at a level under that of top players or if their skill levels are not equal; however, if you attended a grand final of a major tournament, if the players were equally knowledgable in regard to their respective characters, the Pichu would lose practically all of the time.

I hate when people say things like 'you only won because you were maining a high tier character' or when newbies pick up a certain character just because they're regarded as higher on the tier list - because unless you're playing at top level, it isn't going to make much of a difference at all as it's implied in the tier lists. :/

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
dedede is top tier in redcatland
*nods*
along with olimar
*nods*
and pony
*nods*

i like redcatland, win grows on trees here

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Tier lists are for pansies..

A good player will make their character work.. Imo tier lists are used as excuses for characters being 'better' than others because they seem more powerful off the bat or for people who can;t choose their own character and instead choose the 'op' one in an attempt to be a better player..

Brawl has a new style of play, new engine and is alot more balanced to an extent than melee was.. So rather then debate over which character is better, why not just go play the game and choose a character you enjoy and play them FFS..

BLAH..!
That's just your excuse for playing all the OP characters :bee:

But on a more serious note, I think it just needs to be given more time before we could establish a definite tier list, if we were to create one now I wouldn't be surprised if it had to be completely mixed up in a month or two. As said above, if you want to know who's the best in the early stages of the game you're probably best off having a look at tournament results.

Sloth

Smash Ace
WTF. This thread was a joke thread to begin with and never closed. My head hurts.
Anyways, atm for Brawl Aus tier list is simple
1. Metaknight

2. GG you just lost to metaknight so who actually cares.

Bjay

Smash Lord
I thought it just began as a joke and then the topic discussion just changed into about the tiers lol.

JELLYHEAD

Smash Cadet
... Lol to Zac. XD

I don't think Australia itself should have it's own Tier List.
Well, I mean it can...
But if it's for Australia and it's PAL wouldn't it apply to other countries as well?
So would you, ultimately, be making a 'new' PAL tier list?

... Have fun with explanations and reasonings and all that. <3

Top Tier always =
Fox, Marth, Falco, Sheik, Peach, Samus, Falcon, ICs.

Nothing else really matters. =]
Our games are no different from America's in gameplay, so why do we need a tier list? The one we have is international.
That's not entirely true... take Samus for example: In the PAL version she's actually lost a bit of power; bomb grappling and super grapple don't work in the PAL version and just as a random aside her grapple can't get stuck to mario's cape and I'm pretty sure the saturn staircase doesn't work either, so that's just one example of changed gameplay right there - you would have to take that into account when doing an Australian tier list and as such Samus would probably place lower than she does in an American tier list since she isn't quite as powerful.

kupo

Smash Lord
That's not entirely true... take Samus for example: In the PAL version she's actually lost a bit of power; bomb grappling and super grapple don't work in the PAL version and just as a random aside her grapple can't get stuck to mario's cape and I'm pretty sure the saturn staircase doesn't work either, so that's just one example of changed gameplay right there.
That's like...game breaking stuff right thar. That's like saying Samus is sh*t for not being able to do the homing grapple beam grab.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
closest thing to game changing stuff was fox shine difference, difference in spikes, and lack of sheik cg
but it didn't suddenly change everything, we played the same in general as the americans

Sloth

Smash Ace
Fox shine difference? lol. Only change which really effected us was sheik's cg.
Sheik was put ontop when it came to PAL tierlist anyways.

lol@Samus comparsion. I assume you didn't play much tournament melee :)
Why isn't this thread locked? Unless we actually want to make a BRAWL tierlist.

Bjay

Smash Lord
I thought this was a joke, which then turned into a discussion of an independent melee tier list, and now it's a Brawl list?

Awesome! ^_^

It's been a nice read so far xD

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
the fox shine difference as in certain people don't fall over, i felt it changed a decent bit from what i played, even though i wasn't exactly the best player around, it still changed a bit of how fox v marth went

but yeh i got brawl tier list

top tier: dedede
winner tier: olimar
sexy tier: redact
???? tier: rest
loser tier: dekar and atticus fused into one being
god tier: forte
yay tier: pony

kupo

Smash Lord
Redact as always is wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG!

..about the Tier list anyways. :p

Get offa my stage!

On a serious note Fox's shine wasn't that much of a huge difference. Although his upsmash was stronger and firefox has larger range in NTSC. I think he was also heavier too. So he was close to being top tier next to Sheik.

Anyways, melee is so last year. Go go brawl!

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Foxy shine was different? What the?? Considering I literally played Fox the world over (excludin Europe who use gay men to host xD) and I never realised this it's either non-existent, nothing dramatic at all or just that you guys mean the way some characters will fall from it or not - which wasn't a change to reflector itself.
The things Em said were the major changes to Fox, and were the things commented on by many Fox experienced players between versions like Helios, CJ and of course yours truly.

Roy was god tier in Brawl so they removed him :)

Ike is current god tier

Snake, Metahax and Falco are the cheat characters :D

Falcon is holding back most of his power.

Bjay

Smash Lord
omg Falcon sandbags :(

---

My question doesn't exactly relate to tiers, but it relates to a list of some sort!

I've always been curious, do they have a Weights list yet, (i.e. heaviest to lowest)

I'm very curious :) I'll assume Jiggs/Game and Watch are at the bottom, featherweight.

...yeah, so yeah, list anyone?

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Haha M2k - he's the number one guy that comes to mind in the stats > strats camp xD.
Snake is a homo - so much so as to actually go against Sakurais claim that Gdorf is the heaviest human :)

Devil.

Smash Journeyman
Only a character as manly as snake can wear leopard print camo thats this smooth...

Zaidou

Smash Journeyman
Redact as always is wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG!

..about the Tier list anyways. :p

Get offa my stage!

On a serious note Fox's shine wasn't that much of a huge difference. Although his upsmash was stronger and firefox has larger range in NTSC. I think he was also heavier too. So he was close to being top tier next to Sheik.

Anyways, melee is so last year. Go go brawl!
What She said.

Zaidou

Smash Journeyman
Those arguments are so weak. I acknowldge MetaKnight is nigh on Godly but I'm going to find My OWN Ways to get around Him.

Sloth

Smash Ace
Clearly I'd be sexy tier list. Agree?

I think if we actually want to develop an Australian tier list based on tournament results + opinions, we should really start a new thread. As this one has progressed into painful child-like discussions and it lowers my IQ everytime I read it.

kupo

Smash Lord
Clearly I'd be sexy tier list. Agree?
At ddr...yessss =3. Still waiting on your recording of Pluto Relinquish :p.

Tier's aren't based on popularity of the characters. If that was the case, the tier list for brawl should have been out by now.

It's based on character advantages over another. Sheik in melee for example has the advantage over majority of the characters except for some high-mid high tiers...I guess they're sorta even. Easy to use, chain grab (oh wait lol), fast devasting tilts, ***** slap that kills, lolneedles and so on.

Hmm...Biased opinions = lol we'll never reach an agreement. Let's just wait for the official thing. =)

Sloth

Smash Ace
I think the contrast of popularity contest is divided between tournament popularity and just casual noobs who think ike is hot.

If you consider that in a tournament setting the majority of players will choose characters with the least amount of bad matchups, it therefore turns into a popularity contest of some-sort(As most ppl will use the same characters), mixed in with the logical mind-set of wanting to win. In the end more people choose the better characters, better characters turn up on top. So more people therefore choose the better characters. A never ending circle.

So therefore it is an equation of each. ^^ Simple.
Does Australia have any decent snake players yet??

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
To the haters of MK and Snake sellout sluts (i.e. 99% of Sydney), all is not lost

C3, Maryland results
1: M2K (DDD)
2: Azen Zagenite (Lucario, Ike, Toon Link, MK)
3: Forte (MK)
4: Meep! (Marth)
5: Omni (MK)
5: Velocity (GAW)
7: Candy (Wolf/Snake)
7: Karn (ROB/DK)
9: Plank (MK)
9: The One (Neo? Marth?)
9: Chinesahh (Wolf)
9: Tope (Toon Link)

Top Bottom