• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Auckland Smash Recap: April and May

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Auckland Smash: Recap for May

From the start of this year Smash has experienced a resurgence in Auckland, and I believe in NZ in general. The Smash Brothers documentary has played a huge part in getting a number of people, including myself, excited for a more competitive form of smash. Since January the NZ Smash group has grown by 40 and we’re currently growing with a couple of new people every week.

In the months of April and May we’ve had 2 full Double Elim melee tournaments, 2 PM tournaments and 2 smash fests. Things are expected to quiet down over June as everyone goes through their semester one exams, but there will be more smash fests in the works for July. There’s even talk of hosting a National in September at the same time we have international visitors in the form of German smashers Phex and Pasi.

A brief tournament recap:

The April tournament was organised through a fortunate interaction with the University of Auckland video game club who happened to be hosting a Console day. The smash crew turned up in force with CRT’s and Wii's in tow and ended up being the largest contingent there. The melee tournament had 13 entrants and was taken by Dz with stiff competition from Jason8. Bracket and results can be found here: Results

Kelots kept the buzz going with a smash fest/practise session at his house which saw a good turn out and much hype in a series of off the cuff teams matches.

The May tournament was hosted once again through the UAV console day and once again smashers were the largest party. This time we had some interested new comers joining in for the Melee and PM tournaments. We had 14 for Melee and 13 for a PM single Elim with Dz taking both. Once again Jason8 was vying for the melee title and OninO took second for PM. Bracket and results here: http://challonge.com/LiHMelee and http://challonge.com/LostinHogwarts_PM

The month of May ended with a smash fest hosted by myself to get people excited about PM. The turnout was great and resulted in an impromptu double elim tournament with 14 entrants and a number of spectators. Dz took the tournament with competition from Pino and Mexican new comer to the local scene, CarlosMX. Bracket and results here: http://challonge.com/PMftP

Other things on the go:

There are a couple of guys here with streaming equipment but we’ve yet to figure out a good system for getting matches recorded and uploaded. Hopefully we can get a vid production facility going soon and get some matches uploaded.

PM uptake has been pretty good with most people willing to give it a go. Melee is definitely still the dominant force in the scene though.

All in all, exciting times, if you find this post by googling NZ smash, head on over to the facebook page linked above and come join us for some games!

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
thanks for posting this man
really exciting to hear our next door neighbours are picking things up too.
Would be great to see some vids. Do any of you use Netplay for P:M or Melee?

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I've played a little netplay with a guy in Melbourne, it was playable but definitely a different sort of game with the latency effect. I'm still keen to give it a go though!

Hopefully we can get some vids up soon, I'd really like to start recording my practise sessions but I don't have any streaming hardware :(.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Would really love to have you guys come down for shadowloo! Let us know if you need housing/accomodation/details <3

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
This is so good to hear! If you can make it you should definitely come to Shadowloo Showdown.

Also, keen to watch some NZ Melee vids!

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Hey guys! We're all really keen on going to Shadowloo and so far have got around 4/5 people confirmed. Any chance of housing and stuff would be greatly appreciated :)

Splice

Smash Hero
Finals from our most recent melee tourney @ University of Auckland:
>recorded by holding a cellphone, boo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js0RXen_Q4U
Watched this video. Sick Bowser and Mewtwo! It's Dz, right?

One tip for you is just to work on your Uair spacing with Bowser. A couple of times you missed him coming down from above you. Think about ShortHop and FullHopping it, Fastfalled, Non-Fastfalled, and Fast falling before you use it as different options for it and just work on spacing it. You can get a lot more out of it than you did.
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j431/SeikenSSBM/uairgif2.gif
It doesn't have much of a disjoint as you see (the red hitbox isnt that far from Bowsers yellow hurtbox) so it's not the greatest for outranging things, it really takes good spacing to make it work.
Other than that your Bowser is definitely more fluent than mine!
I'm not telling you to spam it btw, just how to use it better when you go for it

With Mewtwo, I see a lot of familiar things. Accidentally using SideB when you're trying to UpB to the right? Yep, been there.
The main things you should consider though:
You often go offstage to edgeguard. Mewtwo has great tools to edgeguard without leaving the ground, he can cover everything except for Marth sweet spotting UpB. If you go offstage every time, this is easy to get past. If you threaten going offstage with empty jumps or by going off a couple of times, you can manipulate the Marth's movement allowing you to Dsmash/Fsmash/Dtilt/ShadowBall from the edge which is way more reliable.
You can Short Hop Uncharged Shadowballs as you move towards the opponent to make them shield, and then grab. You have to mix this up though because it gets predictable. Using shadowballs to stay safe, either defensively or offensively is good. You can rely on it and spam it a lot more than you do, but that's just playstyle. What you're doing is generally working fine.
Don't ever Bair if you don't have to. The Marth could have Fair'd through it every time you used it for free. If you're really going to use it, space being below them anyway. But the move has pretty bad properties all around. You can't combo after it and you get way more off of a Fair if it connects at pretty much all %'s (better for combos, better for killing). Obviously you can't always use Fair but one time you actually purposely turned around to use Bair which I thought was kind of weird.
Also Dash Dance and Wavedash out of Dashes more. :)

hope it helps and comes across as constructive suggestions.
Your Mewtwo is ****ing awesome, the way you take his 3rd stock from between 8:00 and 8:20 in that video is basically perfect.

Last edited:

kelots

Smash Cadet
Ya its dz, He played low tier to give us a chance... it didn't go so well

Splice

Smash Hero
Who does he actually main? He should main Bowser and Mewtwo because that is where the hype is at

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
He mains Falcon, but he can really play whatever he feels like on the day. Seen the Pichu come out in tournaments on a few occasions.

He's still not sure if he can come to Shadowloo due to work, but he's trying to make it happen. Really hoping he does so we can rep NZ with the best :D

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
Mewtwo downsmash does not work against most sweet spotted recoveries pls. It even can miss falcon that's how bad it is
I think you can up from on stage to the ledge as bowser so you can maximise abuse of his ledge attack

Last edited:
Top Bottom