• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attn: Falco Mains

Sliq

Smash Master
Use more mindgames. This is something I see less and less of. Falco's going on auto-pilot with pillaring and shl'ing. It is very easy to do this, but you have to refrain. If you want to push your game, you need to play smarter. Being extremely technical is the only real way to place well without having good mindgames, because otherwise you are going to get shield grabbed, and you are going to get tech chased, and your recovery will get froed.

I don't main Falco anymore, but I still play as him during certain tournament matches. Trust me. This is good advice.

Edit: I'm not trying to come off sounding arrogant, so if I did, my mistake.

Sliq

Smash Master
I was sort of hoping for more of a discussion as opposed to...well...that.

Jem.

Smash Master
What else can I really say? Not like I'm going to flame you back.
All falcos aren't all technical. I rely on a weird style gameplay/combos/mindgames to make up since I'm not as technical as I wish I can be (Multishining)

Sliq

Smash Master
What else can I really say? Not like I'm going to flame you back.
All falcos aren't all technical. I rely on a weird style gameplay/combos/mindgames to make up since I'm not as technical as I wish I can be (Multishining)

Miharu

Smash Hero
Camp more.

Camping equates to free damage in the form of lasers, and tends to make the opponent to make stupid mistakes. Slowing down your play also helps.

wakka444

Smash Ace
eh i can see what hes saying, i find myself go on autopilot plenty with the shl and pillar since most players cant seem to get around it=/ but playing smart is definitely needed for an A game

Sliq

Smash Master
You should always L-cancel your aerials.

So what nubby falco beat you to make this thread? LOLL :p
What? No one. I secondary Falco.

And you can get shield grabbed if you hit the top of their shield when you pillar, so you can't l-cancel.

I'm making an observation about mediocre Falco players, as well making an observation about my own Falco.

Velox

Smash Ace
Would about Azen's Falco?

I C what ur saying though. Falcos more so than any other character have many a mindless player.

Why?

2 reasons.

1.) Bad Falcos think just running up with the laser approach is safe (it's not, nothing is in this game if done mindlessly).

2.) They think pillaring also is a safe strategy that won't get punished (it sorta is, but there are other options that will give you a better chance of hitting, pillaring rarely works on anyone good).

Velox

Smash Ace
i'm not certain shl will chain into shb

i thought it was the other way around

maybe i'm wrong i dunno

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I myself had to climb to the top of a mountain and knife fight Mathos, PC, and Forward while blindfolded before becoming accepted into training. It is my strategy, and there are few who can master it

Seriously, laser spam>>>>>>>>>>mindgames. If you can mix them, all the better, but if you don't want to then just laser spam.

Hostility

Smash Ace
sorry but falco's with tech skill do not get shield grabbed.

otherwise yes, we're ******** as hell.
Yea pillar pretty much makes it near impossible to shield grab because the shine comes out faster than the grab. Falco doesn't really need all that many mind games as long as you camp and have good tech skill. This doesn't mean that no falco has mindgames, but I don't see many falco players using them.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Yea pillar pretty much makes it near impossible to shield grab because the shine comes out faster than the grab. Falco doesn't really need all that many mind games as long as you camp and have good tech skill. This doesn't mean that no falco has mindgames, but I don't see many falco players using them.
Mindgames is a garbage term. I hate using it, but in some situations, I must.

Camping in itself equates to using superior "mindgames" than those of your opponent, thus leading to your outsmarting them.

Sliq

Smash Master
YES YOU CAN GET SHIELD GRABBED. Jesus Christ. If you hit the top of their shield or dair early in your sffl'd shield pressuring pillar, the shield stun ends way before you even hit the ground, and you will get grabbed before you can shine.

Holy ****. You can't l-cancel your dair if the moment you hit the ground you are grabbed.

Sliq

Smash Master
Then don't do it.
In that case, don't get hit. I'm sure everyone here plays perfectly all of the time, so I suppose my argument is moot.

If you d-air too late they just grab you right out of the air, before you start your attack.

th0rn

Smash Lord
Yeah, but he was saying people with "good" tech skill. You're talking about "bad" tech skill. He was just pointing out people with good tech skill get grabbed far less, not literally saying it NEVER happens. You could easily keep pointing out mistakes that could get you grabbed. With any character for that matter.

btw, you can get grabbed by standing still while doing nothing.

A-Laon

Smash Master
We could make this another perfect pillaring vs. shieldgrabbing argument or we can actually get to the very good point here.

Many, many Falco players let the character's overwhelming technical ability go to waste because they utilize it unwisely. Seeing as Falco has the best approaching and retreating projectile in the game and also the most impressive offensive ability, Falco can effortlessly keep opponents away, approach them safely, and destroy them with little chance of retaliation; however, many Falco players let this potential go to waste by stupidly throwing themselves into gimps and death combos because they don't anticipate what the opponent is capable of doing to counter-act their blind aggression.

Moral of the story, Falco can control the offensive game arguably better than almost any other character, but blatantly abusing it with no attention to tactics and mental play is just letting your opponent get the kills.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Hey guess what... unless you are multishining between dairs, then it is possible to get shield grabbed. Scotu looked up the frame data, so if u pillar the same way everytime, they can predict that u will do it again and pillar in the same way. Read this: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=108512&page=3
Scotu's post gives descriptions for different types of pillaring. A grab takes 7 frames, so it is possible to get shield grabbed. And if any of you have read g-regulates thread on mindgames (which is insanely old) you will realize that lasering is out smarting your opponent and can be a mindgame, because as you laser they will most likely make a mistake, you will find an opening, and you will take advantage of it. When you tech chase, you are manipulating where they will go by running towards them. If you run towards them, most people will sub-consciencely want to tech behind you, so if u wavedash backwards you have created a mindgame. And as some people say the best offense is a good defense, well the best defense can be a good offense. If you are so aggressive without making mistakes, then they wont be able to even hit you, creating a good "defense". And have you not seen pc's falco?!!?!?

Sliq

Smash Master
We could make this another perfect pillaring vs. shieldgrabbing argument or we can actually get to the very good point here.

Many, many Falco players let the character's overwhelming technical ability go to waste because they utilize it unwisely. Seeing as Falco has the best approaching and retreating projectile in the game and also the most impressive offensive ability, Falco can effortlessly keep opponents away, approach them safely, and destroy them with little chance of retaliation; however, many Falco players let this potential go to waste by stupidly throwing themselves into gimps and death combos because they don't anticipate what the opponent is capable of doing to counter-act their blind aggression.

Moral of the story, Falco can control the offensive game arguably better than almost any other character, but blatantly abusing it with no attention to tactics and mental play is just letting your opponent get the kills.
Hey, look at that! Someone interpreted the meaning of this thread correctly instead of getting personally offended! This can't be the internet I know.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
nice post aloan.

@drugged fox: i see your point, but let's not cite the "if i could play perfectly argument" b/c in that scenario everyone should/would play fox

Top Bottom