• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATL SOUTH Sports Thread

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Ok, I am making this thread because I just noticed no one even commented about my thread about the tide v. the tigers........ many were calling it in the match-up of the decade and they're both ATL south teams so, I'm just surprised there wasn't much interest. But, there's gotta be some college ball(football/basketball) fans out there. Where you at?

Keeping this discussion ATL south team only because I'm fishing for interest...

GA Tech v. VA Tech, This will be a game. The yellow jackets coming right out of just beasting clemson, who are so well-rounded / ****. It's crazy how they were able to take control of this game without a REAL quarterback(they rely heavily on their running game). VA tech imo < Clemson, despite rankings, but without a doubt they have a similar over-all advantage v. GA Tech(more play makers, far better passing game, etc.). So I guess we'll see. I'll decide later on who I'm going with... it's tough.

Clemson v. Wake Forest.. Well Clemson are the obvious favorites here, but here is where both of these teams are coming from; Wake fresh off a loss to notre dame and their worst loss of the season so far to UNC. But hey, they beat FSU and only lost to both syracuse/notre dame by one TD. And their loss to VA Tech was by a less margin to UNC. So like UNC they're a little unpredictable/inconsistent....except not as good. Clemson as you know just got mommicked by GA Tech and are no longer undefeated. I have a feeling that both teams are going to come out hungry, especially Clemson. So I'm picking the obvious favorite, but also saying that it'll probably be a decent game to watch.

I'll discuss Miami @ FSU as well here when I get some more time at work.

Feel free to discuss all sports here college/pro, I particularly keep up w/ college fball/bball.

Speaking of which, I can't wait for this season!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...arolina-tar-heels-no-1-preseason-coaches-poll

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I tell you wut...lets see hur..

va tech v. ga tech is tonight at 8pm est, by the way. (why does VA tech play on thursdays more than any other team???) Last season Hokies won by 1 TD, and they have won 3/4 the last times they've met the yellow jackets........fyi

So the seminoles and the canes, FSU / Miami....rivalry game / somewhat of a history behind these two teams facing off(rivalry used to be more intense between the two, I believe). Random fact: about 25% of games in the past 20 years between them have been decided by a missed kick on florida state, but I mean this truly as random being that FSU has an awesome kicker this season. This should be a close game too, and just off my general viewing / peeping how these two teams have been doing... It seems like a classic style clash; Miami's running game v. FSU's run defense(see the noles' run defense v. oklahoma). Other than that, I like the noles' QB a lot more, and they're 18th in the nation for passing yards and a more rounded team.

So yeah, going with FSU. normally i'd say 14+, but since it's a "rivalry game" I'll guess 7+. Miami could pull an upset though, just my predictions.

This va tech v. ga tech game still has me stumped though.

DC

Smash Cadet
Smash players neither watch nor play sports

Have you ****ing seen seibrik?

:phone:

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
well, it's never too late to start appreciating some football or basketball, EVEN for seibrik..

First prelim college b-ball game of the year is tonight at 7pm, UNC v. MSU, playing on the 2011 championship court reconstructed on the air craft carrier that threw Bin Laden overboard.... Even obama will be there(hopefully they can toss him over at about 1000 fathoms as well ;>).

So epic, and very appreciated on veterans day... check out the jerseys

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I am not pretending that people who like sports are in the majority around here.., but being the ATL south(not referring to the smash comm.) lives and breaths college football, and NC is THE state for college basketball, I thought there was no harm in making the thread. I almost made a "hunting/fishing/outdoors thread", but I thought that thread would hear more crickets than me on my last hunting trip.

Anyway, i'll be rambling about sports on this thread. I take no offense by your lack of interest. Imo the Veterans Day game / it being the first game played on a boat is something cool to be appreciated even if you don't like b-ball.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
REALLY ****ing pissed that I'm not gonna be able to watch AU vs. GA because I'm going to be at a smash tournament in Tuscaloosa of all places. But I'm not pissed enough to stay home.

Guess I'm bringing a radio.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
So, UNC lost a close, weird game to VA tech(following a 2 TD win for VA tech > GA tech)...

score was 24-21.. this one call particularly pissed me off 50 secs before the first half:

We made a beautiful 50 yard pass that put is about... 3 from goal. He caught it and went out of bounds shortly after barely making this catch. First ruling, the pass is good by the ref right there... then like, 15 secs later the head ref overrules and says it's incomplete..so UNC of course challenges it. The rule in college ball is that really has to be sufficient data for them to overturn an original ruling(which pisses me off, because the original call was in OUR favor lol).. We watched it from every angle on espn.. The announcer is like "Clearly his foot was down, so this is a complete pass, etc." Then all of the sudden, they declare that there "wasn't sufficient evidence to overturn it".. the announcer couldn't even figure out what the insufficient data was.."did they not have a good view of him in possession of the ball while out of bounds?".......which he of course caught it. So that was 6/7 points that we were just about robbed of. The bad call was referenced all night afterward.. Well I guess I should be thankful that's this is the only game we've been blatantly ****ed this season;

This was from a VA Hokie blogger describing the 3rd quarter:

Hokies have taken control of this game with more than a little help from the officials. Tech leads UNC 24-7 as we head to the fourth. A clearly uncatchable pass was called pass interference, and an apparent fumble by Wilson was called down by contact. You could also make the argument that an offensive pass interference call on the Tar Heels was unwarranted.

Somehow we brought it back in the 4th quarter for a less embarrassing score, though.

edit: also... Tebow won it for the Bronco's last night.. wasn't paying too close attention, but I saw that winning TD run with 50 secs left, it was nice..no matter how annoying the guy is. Tough break for the Jets.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Double post, just because it's game day(sorry)... Here's the gist of college football today in the atl souf:

The most decent match-up in the south today is probably going to be FSU v. Virginia, 7:30pm @ Florida. NCstate is going to be tiger bait today(clemson walking over them at 2pm). Ole miss will be trying their best to slow LSU down at 7pm. GA Tech is going to mop the floor with duke, time does not matter, but if you really want to see a very physical team power through a team of band geeks 12:30pm. Wake Forest likely > MD today @ 3pm. Georgia will probably beat kentucky today @ 12:21pm , meaning they'll face LSU in the SEC tourney.. will be an interesting match-up. Georgia Southern v. #3 Alabama, and #6 Arkansas are playing mississippi state. Oh, and UCF v. ECU!

Awesome day for football in the ATL SOUTH.

Barely outside our area, Oklahoma v. Baylor should be a good game. And if you're into yankee joke teams you can always tune into Penn State v. Ohio State(I wouldn't.. the game will probably be gayer than Sandusky).

Anyway.. I'll be grilling out today(beautiful day today, great football weather) then watching a few of these games over some cold ones.

Moses.

Smash Journeyman
NCstate is going to be tiger bait today(clemson walking over them at 2pm).
Holy **** NC State is DESTROYING Clemson right now. WTF?

Also, LOL at the Gators stumbling against Furman (I go to UF). I just hope UF doesn't screw it up too badly next week against FSU. We need to win in order to be bowl eligible. If we lose, it will be the first time since 1990 that we didn't participate in the post-season.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
WTF indeed, lol. I don't even know what to say... I flipped to it during the 3rd quarter and my jaw dropped. 6th sack for state, lmao.

yeah I didn't see much D from either team the little I saw FL furman. ahh.. unc is eligible barely even with 1 game left, but I don't think they planned to go to any bowls to begin with after all the ncaa allegations / having an interim coach and stuff.

FSU's D might cause ya'll some problems, it'll be a good game.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
(another double post for game day)

1 LSU v. 3 Arkansas...

arKANSAS is 3 from all the upsets that occurred last week, but they're still a really good team. From all those upsets(OK state, oklahoma, clemson, and oregon ALL lost and were all in the top 7 in the nation at the time)... So other teams of this level were put in a much better position, arkansas one of them. So Arkansas has a great opportunity to make a statement right before bowl time... and I think they might do it. No matter what, it's going to be a great game and lsu is a great team.......we'll have to see. but I'm going w/ the razorbacks.

Who here would like to see a bama v. lsu rematch? Not too many do, but I would.....I mean they're the 2 best teams in the nation... yeah the game was very defensive and neither team got in the end zone(6-9) but, it was a great game. Just good SEC football. None of that PAC horse ****.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
I hate the idea of rematch championships, and I really don't wanna play Bama again, but it looks inevitable. I mean, Stanford has a chance, and I guess Okie St, but only if the voters don't want to see a rematch either (which I'm guessing they don't, just like in 06). Problem is, Bama has a free ride to the ship, and we have to play to get in.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
haha ya'll ended up creaming the razorbacks.. after that early 14-0 my prediction was looking decent, but ya can never sleep on the tigers.

Well.. from my pov, i wouldn't want to see a re- of lsu/bama if I knew it was going to be the same exact type of game as last time, although it was good defensive football. But, I guess I think it's going to be a little different...maybe I'm more hopeful for both team's offense? Idk, I'm hopeful that a re- would be a much better game I guess.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Wanna hear some crazy ****? Say we beat Georgia and Okie St beats Okie. We'll probably play Bama but might play Okie St. Makes sense right?
Alright, say we lose to UGA. We'll probably play Bama anyway, but if the voters don't want to see a rematch, we'll go to the Cotton Bowl, Bama will play Okie St, and 2 loss UGA would go to the damn Sugar Bowl.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Well, that's all assuming that losing to UGA will drop you guys 2 spots to #3, right? I mean tbh.. after a lose to UGA, i hope they wouldn't drop ya'll to #3. That would be lame as hell... imo should stay #1 even after the loss although i'd understand #2.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's all assuming that losing to UGA will drop you guys 2 spots to #3, right? I mean tbh.. after a lose to UGA, i hope they wouldn't drop ya'll to #3. That would be lame as hell... imo should stay #1 even after the loss although i'd understand #2.
Or we just won't lose to Georgia. Bama better be pulling hard for Okie.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Oh yeah, I think ya'll have it, def. just hypothetical talk. Georgia would have to play their best game and you guys not quite up to your potential. Not a huge chance for that, but I bet we'll see a good game.

okie v. okie will be huge for sure

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I have $36 dollars riding on the jets beating the redskins by more than 3 on Sunday. I stand to win $34. If I win i'll be betting the 70 on a game after that lol

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
prob. a safe bet Dave.

Today is pretty good day for sporting events...... These are the 3 i'll be peeping probably.. in between friends, food, fishing, ice cold cans of liquid, etc...

UNC v. Kentucky, basketball, at 12:00pm est

When you think of college b-ball over the decades, you think of unc, duke, kentucky, and UCLA. Historically, it's a big match-up. Currently, these are also the two best teams in the NCAA most would say. Those who like the NBA, this game could possibly have more future NBA prospects than any other in the past 15 years... it also could be an early preview of the NCAA championship. It'll be a good game.

LSU v. Georgia, 4pm east

SEC championship..... is LSU ready? well...... Yes. No doubt. After facing arKANSAS who started to shake them with that early 14-0, they showed that they can completely turn a game around against a good team despite the momentous turn-overs / mistakes in the 1st quarter, which were uncharacteristic of the tigers...i think the final score was what, 41 - 21? Which brings me to Georgia... I actually think the dogs are going to be strong, and likely do better than arKANSAS. I also think that LSU is even more ready for this game... I think this will be somewhat of an offensive game, and the key factor will be LSU's D v. Georgia's offense. (Meaning LSU has the advantage, but that is the defining part of it). LSU >... I'll be pulling for Georgia though.

VA Tech v. Clemson 8pm east

ACC championship, VA Tech ranked at 5th in the nation(lol). This team is...... over-rated. Period. Just like Clemson was.............but.............Clemson is better. I am hoping that they actually show that they are better in today's game(I am pretty salty over than va tech UNC game still.........being that there were 3 clear-cut examples of the Refs prob. robbing us of the win. I mean the game ended them +1TD and us with possession even with all of it). Clemson is coming from that massive lost to state a few weeks ago, and a loss to the game*****, their rival. The loss to USC was typical I guess, USC is better and they barely out played them almost the whole game, and the score showed it. Anyway.. I'm saying clemson>. I think this will be a largely offensive game as well(not in the same way lsu georgia will be, though... some of it this time i'd say will come from a lack of D)

pesticide

Smash Lord
UNC vs Kentucky was suuuuuuch a good/close game. hopefully theres a lot of games like that in march madness

UGA was up 10-0 vs LSU.....

then LSU got serious lol. 42-10 **** mode

and I'm 10-2 in my yahoo.com NFL fantasy league so far. picking cam newton last round of the draft = such a steal :D

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
UNC Kentucky was definitely a close one. Hard for me to complain, Kentucky has a sick team, and I enjoyed the game. Both team's offense could have put up more numbers, but the D from both teams was looking good. Glad I didn't call UNC on that one lol, was already too close to call as it was. Both of those 2 teams have the edge kind of over everyone imo including duke, with ohio state beiing a ?(we'll have to see).

Wouldn't ya know it, UGA takes over the 1st half and is seemingly shaking the tigers / doing better than arKANSAS did for the most part... they prob. should have had more than that 10 even. But boy was LSU even more ready for pressure situations against UGA. Just like I thought, kinda, although the 42-0 run was particularly devastating.

I'm glad clemson v. va tech went to how I thought it would, although I admit that was kind of lucky considering how unpredictable these 2 teams have been. Anyway, Clemson is better and ran the game offensively largely due to a lack of D from the hokies. But how about DJ Coles from the hokies though? The guy is 1st string 3 positions... punter, s.t. receiver, and w. receiver... he was gaining excellent field position with his punts, and got va tech their first TD off a 45 yd pass. Receiving s.t. he wasn't doing too bad either... don't see that too often, he actually just picked up the other duties a week ago apparently.

and lmao @ okie state just dominating okie. I turned on the start of the 4th quarter last night and they were going into it 42 - 3 lol! As of yesterday, it was looking a little more certain of a bama lsu rematch....but, will the severe margin of okie state v. okie sway the decision? I still lean towards no, but it could possibly be enough to tip the scales.

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
That's what every voter in the country is saying right now. Bama is the 2nd best and should get in, buuuuuut Okie St v LSU would be a good game. The coach planted that seed. BCS selection show about to start. Get ready.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Jets ***** at the last second so I scored my $34 and went all in ($70) on the saints beating Detroit by 10 or more. Lol *****

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
You have nothing to worry about if you're better than us.

Also, that's like saying tournies shouldn't have a losers bracket >_>

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
Well, LSU is *barely* better than bama going off their one match, as well as the season... but that barely part basically means that bama are the only ones they have to worry about. The one thing that comes to mind with why I think LSU>bama barely, is comparing what bama's offense would be minus their heisman RB to with him. I mean, having great individual talent like that does great things for a team, but he plays a BIG role.

anyway, i'll be pulling for the tide

iceman48

Smash Journeyman
Lol. That is not like saying tournies shouldn't have losers brackets at all.
First off, if this were a tourny and y'all were in the loser's bracket, y'all would have to beat us twice in the GFs (as most loser's bracket tournies go). As it stands now, if y'all win, y'all are champs even though we're 1-1 in the season.
Secondly, if this were a tourny, y'all would have to play Okie St. in the loser's. This is the BCS, we don't have that. Y'all bypassed the matchup and went straight to the rematch.
Finally, if college football were to have a playoff system, there wouldn't be a loser's bracket. There isn't enough time or money, and injuries would abound. What y'all have is a free rematch, which is unprecedented no matter what you believe it to be.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
tigers have more of an edge w/ special teams as well I forgot to mention.

if bama wins, then ya'll are 1-1, lsu still having a better season. but I mean if they win, then they deserve to win the "championship of the bcs bowl", imo. i'm not complaining with why they got the spot because i'd rather see them play(i think jokie st's coach has been hitting the crack pipe if he thinks he'll give ya'll a better game than bama).

anyway... unc's bowl game v. mizzou...

actually i will comment about that later haha

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
you play luigi? haha.. he's fun in all 3 games, probably the ONLY char I can say that about.

as for unc... well, it's hard for me to say much when I don't know which unc will come out to play on the field, sadly lmao. We're a better team and have been making progress the past year or 2, but in terms of consistency, I bet mizzou would be less likely to throw a game away like we do on occasion. so, unc> but I'm not sooo confident haha.

Top Bottom