• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[AT] The Bombslide is Back.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
That's right. All of Link's bombslide tech from Brawl is back. Here's how you guys can perform it yourselves. Dash>A>A with inputted direction. The problem with this though is that you can't bombslide at the normal speed of the game fast enough with the 3DS' controls. Go to training mode and cut the speed down to 1/4th. Even at this speed, you need to perform the inputs as fast as you can or Link will just throw his bombs normally.

So what do you guys think? Are you glad bombsliding is back? This is another reason why I'm hyped for the Wii U version of Sm4sh.​

FSK

Smash Ace
I can only get two of them working. The upwards throw and the forward throw with upwards fakeout. I can also do the last one in 1/1 time, but not consistently. Have you gotten any other directions working?

nevermind got it working :)

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Nice!I'll try later going to class.Vid please if someone can.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Thanks for confirming this. I've been asking for someone to confirm whether the boost toss is in this game.
Anyway, I've taken the liberty of assuming that we'll be using the same jargon to describe all the different kinds of bomb slides and I've added them all to the smash dictionary. Please check them out and let me know if you'd make any changes and especially let me know if any of the variations aren't in smash 4. All of the names were taken from my old brawl AT thread and at the time I had made sure that they were all correct, but one more double check wouldn't hurt.
Also if you're new to Link and you want to know what all the bomb slide jargon is about, then you should definitely check out the dictionary or even the old AT thread ('secrets of the seven sages'). Knowing all the bomb slides will be necessary knowledge, so go on and read up.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
This seems like a very difficult AT to master. I've never seriously mained Link in Brawl, so I don't know how helpful this was in Brawl or how helpful it will be in SmashWiiU.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
It's not that difficult from memory. It will also be immensely easier on a GC controller. (btw I made a mistake in my write up of the bomb slide techs that is now fixed; I had 'dash attack' when it clearly should have been 'dash throw'. Whoever named the tech DACIT instead of a DTCIT -that's who I blame.)

Last edited:

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Yeah, Thanks FSK and Dark Deity, I would never have been able to pull it off in normal speed and record it nonetheless.
I do however remember mentioning Link still had this when I played the Best Buy demo last year. Good to hear this is still in though, it could've just as easily been removed, so thanks guys. With this and a high likelihood of getting our Z-airdrop tech back, Link is only getting better for me buy the seconds. Part of my problem thus far in the game is feeling limited on approach options cuz I love me some tricky bomb mixups, hell they were half of my matches in brawl, just ******* around with bombs till the opponent gets hit. Since bombs lead to free hits in this game, my playstyle is gonna wreck fools left and right.

I hope you're out there Legan, I'm totally ripping your style man. ;)

Edit: wow, can't say d/i/c/k huh?

Last edited:

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Wait! What do you mean this will only be able to be done in the Wii U version? Aren't both versions suppose to constructed with the same game coding? Why can't this be done with the 3DS controller?

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
If Nintendo let us configure the 3ds controls just like in brawl (I had "attack" to both A and Z) then doing bombsliding in 3ds would be easier.

Right now you can change the actions to any given button but can't have 2 attack buttons, I want to trade 1 "jump" for another "attack" but ohh well... Maybe the new 3ds let us do this with the new buttons added.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
This seems like a very difficult AT to master. I've never seriously mained Link in Brawl, so I don't know how helpful this was in Brawl or how helpful it will be in SmashWiiU.
At least for me it was very helpful in brawl and can see how it's gonna be helpful in sm4sh.

Don't mind the video too much, it's really old (around brawl launch), but you can see lots of bombsliding there:
http://youtu.be/7eWveN0z60w

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
Wait! What do you mean this will only be able to be done in the Wii U version? Aren't both versions suppose to constructed with the same game coding? Why can't this be done with the 3DS controller?
It is doable in the 3DS version, FSK has a video of him doing it in slow motion because the input timing needed to perform a bombslide on the 3DS controls is ludicrous. It'll be much more usable on the Wii-u version when you have access to a C-stick. In Brawl, bombslides were doable on every control scheme, but the absurdity of trying to use it in a tournament situation when it's soooo difficult to do without a c-stick makes using it completely unwarranted.

:4link:'s full potential will not be seen until Sm4sh Wii-U, same with::4marth:,:4lucina:,:4megaman:,:4olimar:,:4ganondorf:,:4zelda:,:4robinm:,:4myfriends::4falco:,:4metaknight:,:4samus:,:4shulk:, and :4falcon:. Characters like :4littlemac: will improve slightly with the ability to pivot smash easier, but by in large the game is still in it's infancy.

Last edited:

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
It is doable in the 3DS version, FSK has a video of him doing it in slow motion because the input timing needed to perform a bombslide on the 3DS controls is ludicrous. It'll be much more usable on the Wii-u version when you have access to a C-stick. In Brawl, bombslides were doable on every control scheme, but the absurdity of trying to use it in a tournament situation when it's soooo difficult to do without a c-stick makes using it completely unwarranted.
That seems fair. But will it be possible to do it on the New Nintendo 3DS? If the C-Stick is the problem, than this should be more than a good solution for the 3DS version. I don't have a Wii U, and I'll probably be getting one until Christmas. So it makes me feel a bit limited knowing that the games holds some lacks.

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
So now that "nice pants" is back, is the jump canceled throw going to be obsolete? I guess what I'm asking is - is there ever a situation where a JCT would be the better choice?

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
So now that "nice pants" is back, is the jump canceled throw going to be obsolete? I guess what I'm asking is - is there ever a situation where a JCT would be the better choice?
Spacing. It depends where you want Link to be after throwing the bomb.

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'm new. When would bombsliding be advantageous? Is it just a way to control Link's movement while in the process of tossing bombs?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Hi, I'm new. When would bombsliding be advantageous? Is it just a way to control Link's movement while in the process of tossing bombs?
Yeah that pretty much sums things up. However, you can also mindgame with the "fakeout" variations where Link throws the bomb in a direction and does his throw animation in a different direction.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
IT'S BACK? It's about to ger reeaaaaalllll fancy in here.
About time. I'm really waiting to see what you do with Link this time around Kirin, specially since he's actually decent now.

Rep red Link with honor!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You can't do it on the 3ds, only on the Wii U due to the lack of a click.

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I have actually managed to do it w/o slowing it down. It's incredibly difficult because you have to really have good reflexes and tap speed to do it. Video to come later.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Without slowing it down? That's massive. We need a video of it and start practicing it. Though Wii U is coming and the 3DS might die off slowly since most of us will be maining the Wii U.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
It's not as practical as you think. It requires some adjusted finger placements and REALLY fast reflexes. Try to imagine it like this:
My right middle finger is on A since it's my tapping finger. I take the bomb out, dash (holding the joystick slightly diagonal), and I double tap A by "vibrating" my tapping finger. As soon as I do this, I flick the joystick up. Boom, bomb slide. It's hard to picture it and understand, so I will make a video later tonight.

TheCrimsonChin

Smash Rookie
Hello Smash 4 community! Long time reader and first time contributor...

Just a piece of info for fellow 3DS Links out there - if you use the grab button to throw the bomb, the bombslide is much easier to perform. It takes a bit of adjustment, but it's much more feasible at 1x speed. Dash => R => A (with inputted direction).

Seannu

Smash Rookie
NNID
ixSheng
How is this done? I see the videos of you guys doing it however what exactly are the commands?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Hello Smash 4 community! Long time reader and first time contributor...

Just a piece of info for fellow 3DS Links out there - if you use the grab button to throw the bomb, the bombslide is much easier to perform. It takes a bit of adjustment, but it's much more feasible at 1x speed. Dash => R => A (with inputted direction).
That actually sounds a lot like a JC (Jump Cancel throw), only that using grab instead of Jump.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
For the newer guys, here's an old vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nq9_CQNTYs
There was another vid, this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdQY5SOqEE, and for the longest time I had always explained bombslides according to this later vid (i.e. the difference in variations comes from 'charging'), but I have now come to the conclusion that the later vid is wrong. The dictionary has been updated according to the first vid. Feel free to watch both (as there is still useful information in the second vid and there is valuable insight that comes from experience), but I am now certain that the difference in variations is from a minor difference in timing and not because of 'charging' as you would the up-smash in a dacus. This is misinformation that I would like to end here.

Last edited:

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
So you can only do Bombsliding with the C stick, setting it as Attack, only for the Wii U version? I can't seem to replicate with any other configurations. I'm asking this because I don't want to lose the ability to do quick smash attacks. (I have trouble buffering fsmashes for some reason.)

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Not sure if flicking the c stick works for bomb sliding honestly. I've tried it multiple times and I couldn't get it at all.
I really don't want to replace my smash attack. But bombsliding can be pretty damn useful. I might just give it a try sometime.

FEaR.7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FEaR.7
You can also do it with grab+attack if you want to keep c-stick to smashes. However it's more difficult this way.

Top Bottom