• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"AT" : Needles Pivot

Blad01

Smash Lord
First of all : This is not a gamebreaking "AT". Not at all. It's not even a true AT. It's a little trick, useful, but situationnal. Let's begin.

You probably know what is a "B-Reversed" Move : You press B, and input backwards direction immediatly after. This technique gives you a little movement boost. (Think to Lucas' B-Reversed PK Fire).

Sheik can use these with her Needles.

I. Needles Pivot

It's basically a Pivot, stopping your dash.

> How to perform it ?

0] Charge your needles.
1] Dash
2] Press B
3] Input backwards direction

This result in Sheik stopping her dash, pivotting and throwing Needles.

I find this useful as a surprise move, as a mindgame : You run away, and when your opponent is off-guard / chasing you, you throw him your fully charged needles. Bam ! 21 free percents ! :)

II. Needles Pivot Cancel

This is simply the same thing, but without charging your needles, then cancel the charge :

0] Don't charge your needles.
1] Dash
2] Press B
3] Input backwards direction
4] Press L to cancel

So you're now facing the other direction, out of a dash. You can follow with a Jab, FTilt, Grab... What you want. :)

But pressing shield is maybe faster. The Needles Pivot Cancel (NPC) takes 15 frames, where the Shield Dash takes 9 frames (according to Ankoku's frame data). The advantage of NPC over the Shield Dash is that when it finishes, you are facing the other way.

That's all ^^ I hope this trick will become helpful, and most of all not already known ^_^

[EDIT : Oh, and by the way : From now, call this the "Blad's Pivot", thanks :laugh:]

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I is cool

II is flashy but i guess it can work

running away and shooting needles = very useful

Blad01

Smash Lord
I is cool

II is flashy but i guess it can work

running away and shooting needles = very useful
I find too ^^

I'm doing some test for the NPC*, but it doesn't seem very useful. Maybe with a Side Smash ? It's pretty slow....

Jab, FTilt are cool though, but don't have a good range. You can't punish a Marth chasing you with that, i mean ^^

*Sorry, Blad's Pivot Cancel (BPC) :p (It would be so cool to have something with my pseudo lol '_')

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I can't see how this is an AT. Turning around and using needles. Isn't that kind of obvious?

Edit:

To one up, you can do this on the ledge. Reversed B-boosting. This lets you shoot the needles underneath the stage. Essentially this is the same thing, only done at the edge of the stage.

It's already in the sheik guide anyway.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I can't see how this is an AT. Turning around and using needles. Isn't that kind of obvious?
That's why i said "trick". I only used the terme AT with "", and in the title.

And no, that's not obvious :) (And even if this was, have you already noticed it ? And i didn't see it in the videos i've watched neither...)

Edit:

To one up, you can do this on the ledge. Reversed B-boosting. This lets you shoot the needles underneath the stage. Essentially this is the same thing, only done at the edge of the stage.

It's already in the sheik guide anyway.
I know this is the same thing, thanks. You summed up the trick i described. And no, this is not in sheik guide.

(and wow, shooting the needles underneath the stage, so useful)

Squidster

Smash Ace
For edgeguarding... b boost reverse needle cancel Bair... momentum boost going away from the stage with your back to them.

And this doesn't need a name... sorry... find something game changing and start impressing people with it in tourney play and maybe you can get something named after you. Otherwise just turn around and shoot needles...

Blad01

Smash Lord
For edgeguarding... b boost reverse needle cancel Bair... momentum boost going away from the stage with your back to them.
Yes i know, THAT is useful. But throwing needles underneath the stage... yeah... To punish tether use maybe... :/

And this doesn't need a name... sorry... find something game changing and start impressing people with it in tourney play and maybe you can get something named after you. Otherwise just turn around and shoot needles...
I named it juste for part II, because it could be interesting. But after some tests, i found that it's not really fast enough... :(

(Oh and the blad's thing was a joke, i hope you understood that O_O ;p)

*Continues testing*

PS : Yes, i'm waiting for the next french tournament... But it's pretty rare here :p One tourney every 2 months.

Blad01

Smash Lord
just sounded tacky...
lol that was kind of hope, but not really serious ^^

Anyway, i don't want to flood, so yes, i personnally find this trick useful :) And intead of bashing people who try to develop Sheik's game, you could try to help *_*

By example, would you see an application for the II : "Needles Pivot Cancel" as i named it. (but if you want to call it "turning around needles while running, then cancel", you also can)

Tristan_win

Not dead.
huh...I just got done playing with it a bit and I can actually see this being useful, (not for online though, the timing might be too harsh to make up for the reward) not for much though but a use is a use.

Good find blad01, and thank you for advancing sheik meta game just a little bit more ^__^

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
That's why i said "trick". I only used the terme AT with "", and in the title.

And no, that's not obvious :) (And even if this was, have you already noticed it ? And i didn't see it in the videos i've watched neither...)

I know this is the same thing, thanks. You summed up the trick i described. And no, this is not in sheik guide.

I foolishly made the assumption that you would realize what it meant to be able to shoot needles underneath the stage. Though it has it's uses for certain recoveries and situations, you can cancel the charge. Again, obvious. Like it says in the guide already, you can cancel the charge (reverse b-boost) and then b-air, which is extremely useful for edgeguarding.

Whatever. I'm not going to waste my time. If you're really that desperate to get something named after you, at least make it worth while.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lmao leon is 2 good

hey as long as i'm alive u can believe in the sheik boards

hey wtf change ur main back to sheik u noob dont main random >:|

Top Bottom