• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AT / Mechanics Compilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
For what its worth, I tried that with Link rather early on and at the very least, I could never get it to work.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Any idea why only sheik and captain falcon? They're pretty distant from each other when it comes to weight, and other characters match their general profile

Also, I love how those were done by 9B

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They might just have the stats to be just perfect for this.

I do wonder how reliable and if possible they can escape this.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Characters have hit lag animations as well as hit stun animations; they're different on shielding opponents too. Falcon and Sheik may just get bopped by it, haha.

"DANGLING LEGS" the pain and suffering.

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
9B apparently said that there are probably other characters this works on but its too cumbersome to test on too many. He suspects Ganon may also be affected by this. It hasn't been thoroughly tested yet it seems.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I heard about this from a Rosalina main over the weekend. We tested it on Bowser and luckily it doesn't work on him. :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That shulk thing might... actually make him viable.

Also that Lucario thing applies to Sheik as well; she can down+b and it climbs the wall, wall cling jump, double jump, wall cling jump, up+b.

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Oh holy crap. I practically gave up on Shulk but maybe I should revisit him. Although his best aerial is probably still his Nair which is lagless so I'm not sure just how much better he'll get.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Shulk with customs can work well. Decisive Monado red + d-throw = early kill o_O

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Shulk with customs can work well. Decisive Monado red + d-throw = early kill o_O
Despite advocating customs I have rarely ever used them. Too time consuming to unlock and I don't have anyone I can play with on-demand so I only use For Glory between weekly tournaments.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Playing through single player with the character takes about 10 minutes at most, typically less -- you can equip equipment, so I just equip a homerun bat. :3

You can also do trophy rush. It guarantees a custom part drop in the first drop, so set your timer to 30 to 40 seconds and you get an easy drop. Gets harder to guarantee a custom move the more you have though.

Neo Zero

That Shulk tech isn't that good. You gotta keep in mind how activating a monado art actually works.

Lets use the fastest possible scenario. You jump and press B, landing on jump. Immediately after you Bair. You land and as you do, Jump activates, cancelling the lag. This takes about a second to do. But what if jump is on cooldown? You have to cycle to the next art instead, Speed, which means setting it up takes even more time. What if you're actually in an art? You have to cancel it by double tapping B, then tapping it again to select the art, then wait for it to activate. Its tech that, while nice, isn't a huge deal. You get one lagless aerial, while possibly ending up in the wrong mode at the wrong time, or having to cancel the mode you do want early.

Speaking of the activation btw, the very first frames of when the Art activates (as in, the "flash" happens and Shulk does w/e pose) is completely invincible. Attacks, projectiles and I believe even grabs phase through him, allowing him to punish, basically a completely safe dragon punch. It still has the issues I mentioned above, but its a passive benefit you can enjoy rather than have to plan out.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I did it yesterday online, was most useful when switching to Red. Fall with fair, red activation, d-throw for KO. Was also useful to simply spam "dash away" after landing.

Neo Zero

For what its worth, I noticed it seemed to only work if the pose actually comes out. If you're in the middle of say, a Fsmash and it activates, I believe you can still get bodied at any time.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Yeah no Shulk is still bad. Wii U controls will help him, but I don't see him winning any tournaments ever in his current iteration.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah no Shulk is still bad. Wii U controls will help him, but I don't see him winning any tournaments ever in his current iteration.
We should play online, Shulk is pretty amazing when played correctly. Grab, u-throw, u-tiltx3, walk, u-tilt, purple, grab, u-throw, u-tilts, red, d-throw -> dead.

He's got some crazy potential.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
We should play online, Shulk is pretty amazing when played correctly. Grab, u-throw, u-tiltx3, walk, u-tilt, purple, grab, u-throw, u-tilts, red, d-throw -> dead.

He's got some crazy potential.
I'd like to believe that but IIRC I can jump out after a single uptilt with some characters and up vectoring, and getting a grab with Shulk is easier said than done unless you're blue IMO.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Ally plays him, so I imagine we'll see some good Shulk videos once Wii U hits.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
On paper Shulk seems like he has a lot of potential, especially with that snazzy tech Hylian dropped. I still need to play a great Shulk, though--I know Ally and Trela are doing really well online.

And that Lucario tech...sheesh, he seems REALLY good in this game.

D

Deleted member 245254

I don't particularly like the walled FD's at all. They feel like they hurt off stage play a lot.
Mostly because under-stage bounce gimps are so hype when they happen, and wall FD stages obviously eliminate these from being possible.

I recently got my hands on my shiny new 3DS LL (already 2 tiny scratches on the back frame :(!), so I'll be attempting some c-stick nonsense over the next couple of days and let you guys know if I come across anything notable.

The first thing I thought worth mentioning is that the smash initiates on the the release of the stick (in order to accommodate charging) which would mean that smash attacks have the potential to not be as quick or frame exact every single time in the circumstance where you desire the quickest possible smash attack from the c-stick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Smash attacks worked on release of the c-stick at BB demo as well, for Wii U version. Does it charge smash attacks?

D

Deleted member 245254

Smash attacks worked on release of the c-stick at BB demo as well, for Wii U version. Does it charge smash attacks?
Yeah that's what I said, it releases the attack when you let go of the stick, in order to accommodate charging. So in order to charge an attack on the c-stick you simply press and hold a direction. You let go if you desire to release the attack earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you are in a roll and you press and hold the c-stick, when you are out of the roll and let go does it do anything at all?

Also does it move you around whne hit by a smart bomb?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Purple reduces hitstun, so the weak uthrow into utilt doesn't work as they can just jump out. Shulk will be way better on the GC, can't imagine any doing well on the 3ds lol, he requires too much precision.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Shulk's forward-air also has a really cool backwards hit towards the end; so far I've only seen it work against other shulks....

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Purple reduces hitstun, so the weak uthrow into utilt doesn't work as they can just jump out. Shulk will be way better on the GC, can't imagine any doing well on the 3ds lol, he requires too much precision.
http://smashboards.com/threads/gfc-1-houston-tx-10-17-2014.373887/

;)

OK so it's only 30 people but still, I'd bet money this is the first time Shulk has taken a tournament so far. I definitively haven't even seen a Shulk in the top 5 yet.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
"This is the first event to where lots of our previous top players from brawl decided to go. Trela (Best brawl Lucario) "

Eh I won't put too much stock into this tournament.

I mean, I still play Shulk a lot. He's the character I thought I would main going into the game. Its just that he feels so underwhelming a lot of the time. I roflstomp people with Sonic who I struggled against with Shulk (then again I have like 100 more games on Sonic lol). Nothing OS posts really works well for me so I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong or what. I'll keep playing him, I just don't think I'd find a situation to use him over Sonic or the other characters I'm looking at now.

Neo Zero

This one I actually didn't do myself, but I saw the computer do it in All Star mode lol. Iirc (I could be wrong on this) this tech was in Brawl called Glide Walking or something. Basically, walk and constantly do a pivot (@ Shaya Shaya probably knows what I'm talking about being a Marth main). No idea if it still has the boosted momentum, I can't get it to work on the 3DS circle pad, I just saw it done exactly as I remember seeing it in Brawl.

CPU was actually Marth for clarity

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Originally called doop walking, based off of the guy's name.
Only ever used by Mikehaze in tournament, so people called it haze walking.

On closer inspection back in the day, it's basically just an "automatic" dash true pivot while maintaining walking momentum. I came to prefer to call it Pivot Walking.

It was done in Brawl by holding :GCA:, while moving forward :GCL: and continually c sticking upwards diagonally :GCCUR: in the opposite direction of you where you're moving.
In theory, yeah, you could do it without one, and to an extent, I guess it does actually happen a little bit if you are buffering things.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Talking about glitches that I don't know how to replicate.

I was doing a write up of toon link and felt I should go over his custom specials again, and I got to time bomb and I was like
"wow, so you can only have one time bomb out at once, and if you pull another, the first one automatically explodes, that's so NEAT, does it work like that on regular bombs?"
*change to regular bombs*
"so it doesn't work like that in this case, wow, time bombs could actually be really really amazing and game changing for toon link"
*switch it back to take a look at it again*
... ...
I can pull two time bombs again, and they're on set timers.
... ...

I don't know/understand how I had that occur, but I'm in the 90% sure region that I did in fact have a scenario in which time bombs would automatically explode from pulling another bomb (I was sitting there tinkering with it for minutes and minutes before double checking the default ;\).
Unfortunately no recording or the like, but I'm really weirded out by it.

It could just be some weird properties/buggyness of that training room. I had boomerangs not be reusable for over 6 seconds when they're not seen on screen before he could access them again, definitely not something that happens to that extreme in real matches.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

As a Link enthusiast, ill look into this occurance tonight, see if I can produce similar results. To be clear, the double time bomb was on the practice lobby stage right? What about the normal occurrences?

Edit: Properly read the glitch now lol. Anyway, I could never replicate it, but I can try again later. For what its worth, if you just throw them instantly using Down B over and over you get Bomb>Bomb>Nothing (1st explosion is about here)>Bomb (2nd explosion)>Bomb>Nothing etc;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom