• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assassin's Creed

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Well, I got the game today, and have played through the first assassination, taking as much time as I felt like taking.

My overall impression of the game so far is that it's fun and entertaining, and does a lot of things really well. It's tons of fun, but I have to admit that is somewhat repetitive. The little side missions are all almost exactly the same so far, so that's a negative. However, it's not much of a negative, compared to the enjoyment I get from just climbing around the city, avoiding guards (or killing them). The one big assassination I've completed so far was quite fun, although I feel like the developers could have done a bit more to make it stand out from the rest of the game.

My main complaint is the secondary storyline that's present in the game. To talk about it, I'm going to be spoilering something that's revealed within the first few minutes of the game, so if that bothers you, skip it and go to the end.
Anyway, the second storyline has you playing as Altair's (the main character's) ancestor. It turns out that you're actually playing the whole game as this guy, experiencing Altair's life through your genetic memory. The two sections of this part of the game I've played so far are bland and absolutely boring. You just walk around stupidly and interact with a few things/people who help flesh out this sidestory that I don't have the least interest in. It's not fun in terms of gameplay or in terms of story. It's just dead weight.

Thankfully, these parts are fairly short.

As of right now, I'd rate the game about an 8.5 out of 10. It's good, but not excellent. However, I haven't finished playing it, so I can't make any final judgments. Also, I'd say that it's worth playing, just because it does things that no other games have really done before, or at least they haven't been put together in the way this game does.

Right now, I'd recommend buying it, or at least renting it. It's been quite enjoyable so far.

EDIT: I don't think I mentioned this in my summary, so I ought to say that all the elements of the main game work quite well. The crowd is generally responsive and realistic, although they're a little more tolerant of you climbing up buildings than perhaps they should be. Speaking of climbing buildings, that's really tons of fun. The cities are huge, and really impressive to look at. Lastly, the combat is pretty fun. It's all about timing, which isn't a bad thing. If you've got good timing, you can pretty much kill as many guards as you want, at least at the point I'm at. I've encountered a few harder enemies though, and I suspect more of them will show up later.

Weed

Smash Lord
Rented it today, not bad.

These beggars kept harassing me at one point so I just stabbed them, felt bad after ._.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Rented it today, not bad.

These beggars kept harassing me at one point so I just stabbed them, felt bad after ._.
I did that too. Didn't feel bad, but I did attract unwanted attention.

Actually, I think that you can just throw them to get them away from you. I haven't tried it yet, but I noticed one of the achievements you can get was for throwing 20 beggars.

God, it sounds really weird to talk about throwing beggars.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I am fighting the urge to just buy it outright. My local movie store said that are getting it after lunch, so I will try and get it then.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Score! Rented it. Time to play for a few hours and give my opinions.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
If I get the PS3 for Christmas, this is defiantly one of the first games I'm getting, hopefully it will be on sale by then, probably not though.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, repetition is a STRONG point of this game. Well, repetition is a STRONG point of this game. Well, repetition is a STRONG point of this game. Well, repetition is a STRONG point of this game. Well, repetition is a STRONG point of this game.

I finished the first assassination around 9, so and I've been playing since 4 (except I never really turned it off when I left) I completed everything you could do in Damascus (all view points, civilian saves, everything). The game is a blast to play, but I can't help but feel a lot of the game is searching for stuff. I really hate the fact that the flags are in the game and there are so many that that alone kills a lot of my enjoyment.

Let me finish another two assassinations and I'll discuss the game in more detail.

Finished assassination number 2 of 9. I really can't see this game as anything more than a "fun rental". The second assassination (Jerusalem) had only a slight variation, a chase, but other than that, it was the exact same as before. Assassinations themselves are no longer anything special as it's all pretty much the same thing. The game really suffers from total lack of polish really and it seems no time was spent testing the game (plenty reported glitches) and just an overall boring gameplay mechanics when repeated.

I cannot see how anyone can honestly yield 40 hours of gameplay from this one. Each assassination requires a minimum of 2 investigations, which can be completed extremely easily by simply visiting two View Points per town. You can however do all 6 for an easier time locating the target, I am guessing. I did all 6 the first assassination and 2 on the second, and I found them both the same difficulty.

Two more issues which cannot be ignored. Story, which is part of games, seems to take over almost completely with at least 6 of the first 10 hours being dialogue and conversation and 2 of those being travel. This mechanism really hurts the gameplay rather than helps and gets old rather fast as the story, though intriguing for sure, really lacks that draw you in ability with it's ambiguity. The
modern levels offer nothing, but needless questions to a seemingly tacked on side story, Medicore pointed out.
The next issue the game really hurts from is it's controls. The controls try to disguise itself as something new and innovative by saying each button corresponds to a different part of the body (Head, Hands, Legs, Weapon) Sadly, it's the exact same thing as having a look button, grab button, run button, and attack button, the names do nothing for the gameplay. Another odd issue was randomly attacking the wrong person. I went to go for a stealth kill at a guard and it missed and I assaulted a civilian. This would be fine if it happened every once in a while but it's happened quite a few times already with no mess ups on my fault. It seemed that I was targeting the guard and once I initiated the attack, a civilian got in the way and was the victim.

There are some positive aspects to the game, however. What little story is able to be understood is quite interesting for sure and leaves a lot for the player to immerse himself in. The free running is also a blast. If you are a scavenger hunt fanatic, you will love the search side objectives. I personally plan to kill every last Templar (60) but the flags are just annoying. Some of the animations ARE really amazing; some not so much. I love the fact that if you push someone, they react. If you are pushed on a wall, you push off it to come back, etc. It's really cool that we finally have next gen animations and physics on consoles, finally. I love how to climb something you have to actually grab parts that are grabbable in real life.

Combat is an area I wish to address all on it's own. Essentially once you unlock counters, you are unbeatable. Hold block, learn to counter, game over. None of my deaths since learning how to properly counter have been the result of me blocking and taking damage. The most common way I die is when I press a button to grab, and it reports it as a jump and I jump off a high ledge, dying.

All in all, the game IS fun, despite my mostly negative review, but there are so many spots throughout just the first two assassinations that feel "been there, done that." For example, Assassination number one requires you to travel 10 minutes (real time) to Damascus. You complete your investigations, you kill the main person, you return home. The next one requires you to go to either some place with an A or Jerusalem. You travel to the cities, complete investigations, kill the pain person. So on and so forth. Would I recommend this as a buy? Not for all, but I will say anyone with a 360 or PS3 should rent this now.

I give the game, Assassin's Creed for PS3, 4 tentacles out of 5. Cthulu is disappointed.

PS: sorry for any erratic thoughts, poor spellings, or grammar, it's 1:30 and I am quite tired.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to people that posted their opinions, gathered reviews and the like. With the flaws that have been reported, it's a good thing gamecrazy was out of stock yesterday. I almost bought it while I was there. I'll still rent the game as it's definately worth playing, but I'm starting to not buy 1-player games anymore due to cost of games these days and all that.

But if I can more or less see all the game has to offer in a rental, not much point in buying it.

And for those running into high rental rates, check gamefly's website (think it's USA only, though). I'm pondering it myself (though with Brawl around the corner it's not like I'll play too many other games, heh). It's basically a flat, monthly fee (higher if you want to rent more games at once) to rent games with no late fee. Not as cheap as a single rental (I think $16 a month for one game at a time, $23 for two), but it might be a decent alternative if there's lots of games you wanna play without having to pay full retail and could work well if a game is too long to beat in a normal rental, but doesn't have enough replay to make you wanna pay full price to buy it.

I dunno, it's another option out there. Still looking forward to playing Assassin's Creed, though.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Rent it. The game is FUN, but it depends on your interests really to see if you want to spend $60 on it.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
That still seems like a good score.
It's a good store for a good game. It's lots of fun to play, and I certainly don't regret buying it, but it simply doesn't live up to the hype.

I've now completed five assassinations, and my impressions of the game remain pretty much the same.

One thing I would mention is that, once you get the throwing knives, even the roof guards are so easy to kill that they're not fun anymore. I used to climb up in ways so that they couldn't see me, get up on their level and quickly stab them before they could react to my presence. With the throwing knives, I can just kill them from really far away, before there's any chance of them noticing me. For this reason, I've almost stopped using the throwing knives. I find it much more entertaining to kill them with the hidden blade.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That still seems like a good score.
I bought my PS3 for this game (back when it was thought to be an exclusive). I expected this to be a 100% awesome game, and in some areas it is lacking. A 4 is a good score in my book, but only because 3 is way too low for this game. I think if it was on a scale of one to ten, the game would have a 7, just because I don't like decimals.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Assassin's Creed is amazing. I haven't read any posts above this for fear of spoilers, but will when I finish the game. I'm about 5 hours in, and it's astounding. Even just from a visual standpoint. I find one of my major motivations is just to find the highest peak I can and look around. Beautiful.

It reminds me of the first time I played OoT. I look off into the horizon and see a castle or mountain and think "can I travel to there"? And you can. Such a great sense of exploration.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Sadly the only way I'll play this is a PC port, which will probably be disappointing, or the DS game, which will also probably be disappointing. I'm disappointed.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Finished the game. Don't read if you haven't seen the credits yet:

Has anyone translated some of the writing that was on the walls at the very end and stuff? It looks like Japanese, I dunno. Honestly, I'm surprised that there aren;t a bunch of radical christain groups trying to get this game banned, lol! Saying that Jesus and all the biblical figures weren't divine, but just had some artifact of illusion.

I think THAT was the twist that was in the game. Not the fact that there's a modern component which you discover within 2 minutes. I really liked how they tied in some history, with the Kights Templar and the Masons.

The game was somewhat repetitive, and at first I thought the story was kind of stupid, but it really picks up. The good outweighs the bad, overall. Great game.

For the record, it took me around 20 hours I think. That involved a bit of milling about and exploring.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Rented the game and beat it in roughly 10-15 hours or so. Storyline was interesting enough to mostly make up for all the repetive gameplay. The reviews are right. The sidemissions before the main assassination do not change at all. Pickpocket and "Interrogate" are 100% the same. The "go stealth kill these guys with a time limit" adds a few more people to kill the later you go in the game, but otherwise what you play in the first assassination is what you play for the rest of the game. Each assassination is a little varied, though, which is nice.

Moving through the world is a lot of fun. The gameworld itself is very well designed. Lots of stuff to climb and run on (and more than just the rooftops), and Altair is smart enough to jump toward a ledge rather than miss it for 4 inches. Also, it's amusing that with all of Altair's athletic abilities, he swims like a brick.

Game is fun, but rent it. I don't envy gamerscore hunters. Hundreds of flags (that only give g-score, I believe).

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
The flags are handy in case you need to save in a hurry. Like, if you're being chased and are probably about to die (but haven't had a save in a while) If you find a flag, it will save and let you restart from that point.

...I just realized that it might be possible to manually save through the game's menus... I sure would feel silly if you can.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Anyone did horizontal wall runs or rebounds? I thought that it would be like PoP, but instead all the free running stuff has to be done manually. Once, I could find it again, I was able to run up a wall, rebound to another wall and rebound to a ledge above the original wall. It was a pretty cool, but I couldn't replicate it since... :(

COD3PWNER

Smash Cadet
I agree with Mediocre...This game didn't live up to its potential. After killing the first 3 dudes, it got boring. The layout of the game:
1. Go through the 30 minute training
2. Go to Demascus
3. Get an assassination target
4. Find out where the assassination target is
5. Kill the assassination target
6. Get more weapons
7. Repeat steps 2 through 6 billions of times until you beat the game.

Oh and you can also find some flags and some eagle points or whatever there called. But really, I was very dissapointed by this game. Repetition is crazy. I'm glad I rented this game, b/c this was a huge letdown.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Just bought the game, and it's pretty decent.

Repetitive, but then again I love the "kill them all" type games. (Dynasty Warriors being the King of repetitive)

If you like to kill things, I suggest picking it up.

Top Bottom