• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Assassin's Creed

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Title: Assassin's Creed
Box Art:
Standard Edition:

Limited Edition:

Genre: Action
ERSB Rating: Mature
Platform: PS3, XBox 360, PC
Published by: Ubisoft
Developed by: Ubisoft Montreal
Number of Players: 1
Release Date:
US: November 13, 2007
Europe: November 16, 2007
Australia: November 2007
MSRP:
Standard Edition: $59.99
Limited Edition: $69.99

Honestly, I think this game looks amazing. I'm looking forward to it more than any of the other next-gen games I've see so far.

You play the game as Altair, an Assassin during the Third Crusade in the Middle Ages. The game is completely free-roaming like Grand Theft Auto, but with many of the acrobatic and movement elements of the Prince of Persia games. In fact, it's being developed by Ubisoft Montreal, the developer responsible for the new Prince of Persia as well as the Splinter Cell games.

Of course, your main objectives throughout the game will be assassinations. This part of the game makes use of a number of unique features, one of which is something that Ubisoft has termed "social stealth." In essence, your character will not approach targets by sneaking from shadow to shadow. Instead, he'll blend into the crowd, making no unusual moves so that the gaurds won't notice his presense. Or, if he's made the right friends, he could fall in with a group of monks and use them to get close to the target.

Once he's gone and killed his target, it gets harder blend back in. Instead, he can make use of another ability to make his escape. In the game, Altair is able climb walls, leap from building to building and go just about anywhere he can find something to grab hold of (and he can grab hold of anything that sticks out two inches or more). This ability parrallels a real life sport called Parkour, or free running.

The game world features multiple cities, with layout and architecture culled from records from the time period the game is based on. For travel, Altair has a horse to ride on.

There are a number of other exciting elements in the game, including the realistic movement and reactions of the crowd, and the combat which centers around quickly subduing your opponent and escaping, rather than bulldozing your way through waves of enemies, but I'm tired of writing.

You can find an extremely impressive live XBox 360 demo of Assassin's Creed here, as well as other videos scattered across the internet. Screenshots are down below.

Altair Looking down on the square.

Altair blending in with a group of monks (he's the one with the red sash hanging from his waist).

Altair stabbing a gaurd through the chest on a rooftop.

Altair riding his horse between cities.

Altair jumping from building to building.

An impressive overhead view of a port located in a large city.

By the way, you can find some amazing videos of free running here, although I should probably warn you that the music's horrible and the first minute or so is relatively unimpressive.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
I really love how this game is looking. Between Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, and Red Steel, Ubisoft seems to be climbing the ranks in top video game developers. I've been saving money for a 360 ever since I saw this game and Gears of War. Looks very impressive.

F8X

Smash Ace
This game looks pretty sweet, too bad this and Brothers in Arms were both pushed back :(. The one thing that caught me about this game was the crowd AI. This art direction in this game is suburb, it really separates itself from the rest of the field. Also as you mention the Free roaming in Assassin's Creed looks sweet.

You should add some more trailers in your post

X06 Trailer HD
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13564&type=wmv&pl=game

The Same trailer you have posted above but in HD :) (Below)

The X06 Onstage Demonstration Cam HD( a must watch):bluejump: :bluejump: :colorful: :colorful: :estatic: :estatic:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13658&type=wmv&pl=game

Developer Diary
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=13648&type=wmv&pl=game

E3 2K6 Trailer HD
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10406&type=wmv&pl=game

Pre-E3 2K6 Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=10294&type=wmv&pl=game

And some interviews for the game can be seen on this page
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2581

EDIT:

Mediocre said:
Of course, once he's gone and killed his target, he can't simply blend back in.
Not true, As seen in the E3 2k6 Trailer above , he can blend into his surroundings (the scene with the monks). So you may have two options in this game run away, or disappear within a crowd.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Not true, As seen in the E3 2k6 Trailer above , he can blend into his surroundings (the scene with the monks). So you may have two options in this game run away, or disappear within a crowd.
Corrected.

I'll watch those videos sometime and maybe add a few of them.

The one I linked was the most impressive gameplay video I'd seen, so I linked to that first.

D.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5257-9865-7609
I've seen that as well, which is weird, because in some parts he has a quiver on his back, and the rest of the monks don't...

But still, it is pretty cool.

Artistry

Smash Apprentice
I've seen that as well, which is weird, because in some parts he has a quiver on his back, and the rest of the monks don't...
In the bustle of people, though, you probably wouldn't be able to tell unless you were actually looking for the quiver. To the average person they would just see a group of monks. I mean it's not like he intends to stay with the monks for lunch; he just wants to blend in for about 5-10 minutes max.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Hey, I'm bumping this thread in hopes that more than three people will actually post in it this time.

Seriously, this game looks fricking awesome, and with Ubisoft's track record it should be.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I am deciding whether to pre-order this one or Mercenaries 2 as my PS3 game. Mercenaries 2 may get the nod for now, but I did read that his is the start of a new franchise.

Quite interesting and exciting to me to see something original and new out already as a franchise.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Anyone buying this straight away? Rumors are abound that in clocks in around 6 hours, which is way too short for me to spend $60 on right now. It looks spectacular though.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Gawd, six freaking hours? Strangehold was by far the shortest game I've played so far this generation, taking barely over four hours to complete on Normal. Six hours is great compared to four, but still, games used to be at least thirty hours. :C

As I said in the PS3 topic, I'm gonna rent it, not buy it. With it only being six hours on top of looking like it'll have no replay value, I can't justify the $60 purchase.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Anyone buying this straight away? Rumors are abound that in clocks in around 6 hours, which is way too short for me to spend $60 on right now. It looks spectacular though.
I'm not sure where you got the six hours thing from.

I searched around a bit, and the playtime that I heard most frequently was eight and a half hours, for a straight speed run, absolutely essential stuff only. From most people, I heard somewhere around twenty-something for a more relaxed experience. I'm not sure exactly where they got those numbers from, but those seemed to be the most popular speculations about the playtime.

On the other hand, Ubisoft people are saying this:

Ubisoft Person said:
"In each [of the three cities] there's three main guys to assassinate, plus about 30 investigation missions and several more side missions. There's also the asssassin's stronghold ... and a huge huge countryside that connects all of this."
"The game, if you're just playing the minimum -- like let's say out of the six investigations, you only do the minimum two, you don't do any free missions you really just do a straight path -- it's around 18 hours. If you do all of that stuff, it's probably about 40 hours."
Now, I understand that developers tend to pad their playtime a bit, but not to the extent of adding 34 hours onto a six hour game.

I don't really know how long it's going to be, but I bet it'll last me longer than six hours.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I think it was just forum speculation following some article that leaked. I'll see if I can find it.

Regardless, I'll rent the game before I pay $60.

I did a quick search and a preview of the game said: 8 hours if you rush, 20 if you take your time. I really want to know if the game has replayability now before I buy it.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Well, we've got a few reviews in now. So far, almost all the scores are above nine, although there are few enough reviews that I'm not completely confident of the game's quality.

One thing that I am reassured about, however, is the game's playtime. It's never mentioned as a negative in any of the four reviews currently online, and the one review that does mention it says, "you can plow through the main storyline in under 20 hours." That suggests to me that the main storyline is near 20 hours long, even if you go through completing the bare minimum of side missions. That means that for people like me, who like to complete a large portion of the side missions they encounter, the game should last quite a while.

I'm looking forward to this now more than I have for months, because now my biggest fears have been put to rest. I definitely plan to buy this one.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
hopefully i get an xbox 360 for christmas. for halo and this game. the things you can do in it is amazing. Its like another P.O.P.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Not really. I thought it looked amazing and I am buying it pretty much based on that.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
Your thoughts about the scifi elements this game has? It doesn't seem to be a big deal, but they say you'll double check whether you bought the right game during the intro cinematics.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Well, the IGN review was less than positive, to put in nicely. They gave the game 7.7 for the 360 version and 7.5 for the PS3 version. Not so great.

I'm hoping that they're just off with this review (because the other reviews thus far have been significantly more positive), but I'm afraid that the majority of their criticisms seem reasonable and totally justified.

I'll wait for some more reviews to come out before deciding how much money I want to put into this game (I'll definitely rent it, at least), but at this point I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, the IGN review was less than positive, to put in nicely. They gave the game 9.7 for the 360 version and 9.5 for the PS3 version. Not so great.

I'm hoping that they're just off with this review (because the other reviews thus far have been significantly more positive), but I'm afraid that the majority of their criticisms seem reasonable and totally justified.

I'll wait for some more reviews to come out before deciding how much money I want to put into this game (I'll definitely rent it, at least), but at this point I'm prepared to be disappointed.
They gave it a 9.7 and that's a bad review? I'm confused.

TMS

Smash Journeyman
Well, the IGN review was less than positive, to put in nicely. They gave the game 7.7 for the 360 version and 7.5 for the PS3 version. Not so great.
Fixed.

10char.

EDIT: Crap, beaten.

I'm dissapointed at this game. It looked so great, but I fear that everyhthing in IGNs review is, in fact, true.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Words of advice, ignore reviews and play it yourself.

There are tons of games I loved that got horrible reviews. It's just opinion based. But, rent it.

What were their complaints?

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
Majority of the reviews are still positive, averaging about a 9.0/10 overall. I think its just IGN and 1up that gave it something in the 7s. Main complaints seem to be squandering a great plot twist, "halo 2" ending (cliffhanger), and all the missions playing out almost exactly the same way.

EDIT: *Googles*

....No.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Ubisoft ripped off Namco dammit!
Look at this!

Google Zasalamel. He's a Soul Calibur character, and he looks exactly like the dude from assassin's creed.
Altair is a Hassassin which was a sect that actually existed and the garb is probably based off that.

voittaa711

Smash Journeyman
Chicagoland area---1v1 no items AIM- Voittaa711
My friend went to gamestop when it was about to close and asked if he could still reserve it and the guy was like "you know what? do you just want to buy it right now?" and he did.

From what I've seen (i was only there for 15 minutes) this game looks amazing, but the controls were a bit weird.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Not known thing about Gamestop: If you go late, the day before and they have copies, you get it.

ChronosMagnum

Smash Apprentice
It seems fairly mixed in a 70-100% range. The major complaints:
1up- The fault of Creed's game structure isn't what you do -- gathering intel and conducting hits is actually pretty sweet. The repetition of these actions, however, is severely bitter. I kept waiting for a changeup of the objectives, and, well, that never happened. From the first hit to the last, you go through the same motions over and over and over...find the viewpoints, do the investigation missions, and take out the final target. It got to the point where I only did the minimum amount of investigation tasks needed to perform each kill. To make things worse, despite Ubisoft's faithfulness to history, the three cities of Acre, Damascus, and Jerusalem are practically the same.
IGN-But this is a title that delivers on too little of its potential. There are some baffling design decisions. Though you play as an assassin, the final hour of gameplay devolves into a series of combat exercises. There is no way to be stealthy and no opportunity to run along the rooftops in these final missions. You fight and fight and fight until you reach the end boss at which time the game becomes Prince of Persia. Many won't make it that far. Assassin's Creed is too slow and too repetitive. It's a shame, because there are many great things in Assassin's Creed. There just happens to be an equal number of bad things.
In a word, repetitive.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Well, the reviews on this game are largely positive, so I'm probably going to buy it. Even if the game is flawed, I'll definitely enjoy the free roaming elements of it, so I'll still have a lot of fun.

Does the PC version launch with the console versions? (Probably not). So has the PC release date been announced?
You know, Google is an amazing tool for this sort of thing.

Anyway, Wikipedia says early 2008, Gamespot says February 2008, and IGN doesn't say anything.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Penny Arcade had a really good attack on all the negative reviews that've gone up, and even showed why they didn't like it. I trust them over people who have a job to do so, so I'm going for this game whenever it comes for PC.

Though I do have to agree, from a youtube video that shows the first 10 minutes, that they
give the twist in the first ****ing two minutes, which is terrible (Twist is that you're not actually Altair, but a guy in the future who was kindaped by a corporation who is forcefully using your DNA to recapture the memories of Altair

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Umm played the game at my friend's house earlier...........not that hot. But I wish the up coming spider man games could learn something from this, though.
Anyone ever played the old school spider man series for the gameboy colors? Those games were pretty hot, I wish we could enjoy a great new 2D spider man game these days.....I pity the kids sometimes, they rarely get the real stuff.

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
I'd love to rent it for my 360, but blockbuster charges something stupid like 10 dollars. That's ****ing ridiculous. About a year ago I rented a game and was stunned by the price. In the good old days, when my mom rented NES games for me, I think it was like 2.50. Considering the cartridges were like 40 bucks even back then, it makes me wonder how the hell the rental prices got jacked up so much. ****, even in middle school, 50 dollar SNES games were still like four dollars to rent.

You might have noticed I get mad about the idea of expensive rentals. That's why I haven't in a few years.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
It looks so amazing, I love how they have the fighting style similar to P.O.P. SoT one of the best fighting engine games ever. I want to play it so bad, I wish it were released for the Wii. Now I have to wait till I save up enough for my PS3.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
It looks so amazing, I love how they have the fighting style similar to P.O.P. SoT one of the best fighting engine games ever. I want to play it so bad, I wish it were released for the Wii. Now I have to wait till I save up enough for my PS3.
Um, are you sure you mean Sands of Time?

PoP:SoT was a platformer first, and the best way to kill enemies was to repeatedly jump off the walls and press the attack button. That's not a good combat system. And I don't mean to say the SoT wasn't a great game, because it was, but its combat system was not even close to "one of the best fighting engine games ever."

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Um, are you sure you mean Sands of Time?

PoP:SoT was a platformer first, and the best way to kill enemies was to repeatedly jump off the walls and press the attack button. That's not a good combat system. And I don't mean to say the SoT wasn't a great game, because it was, but its combat system was not even close to "one of the best fighting engine games ever."
I meant with the combo attacks

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
I cant wait to pick this up just to form an opinion.

The reviews are possitive but some are really bad. The game is very love-hate.

Top Bottom