• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Ask the Princess: Peach FAQ and Q&A

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
So, I'm new to the forums, but I've been an avid Peach player for a long while now, and I have some questions.
  1. What's a good secondary to have as a Peach main? I've tried lots of characters, but I'm still a bit unsure.
  2. What are some good/bad match-ups when playing as Peach?
  3. How do I determine when in a match should I pull turnips?
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the forums! c: I'll try my best to answer these to my knowledge and hopefully be helpful.
1: I have the same problem honestly, I've been told Pikachu and Zero Suit Samus Cover majority of Peach's bad matchups
2: Peach struggles against a lot of the top tiers. Sheik just plays with her, zero suit's zair is peach's worst nightmare, Sonic's moves all have more priority than peach's. Villager can be pretty frustrating. Versus Rosalina and Luigi though peach can actually handle herself and the match ups seem pretty even. Peach loves heavy characters because they're just combo food for her. Peach doesn't have too many bad match ups, she just struggles against the top tiers.
3: whenever it is safe. Defiantly when the match starts, because that'll give you a huge advantage when in neutral game. Turnips help peach a ton in neutral because they make the opponent play defensively. Pull turnips between stocks and juggle for better turnips. Pulling turnips whenever you knock your opponent away is also a good idea.

I hope I was able to help

TheRealDrean

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the forums! c: I'll try my best to answer these to my knowledge and hopefully be helpful.
1: I have the same problem honestly, I've been told Pikachu and Zero Suit Samus Cover majority of Peach's bad matchups
2: Peach struggles against a lot of the top tiers. Sheik just plays with her, zero suit's zair is peach's worst nightmare, Sonic's moves all have more priority than peach's. Villager can be pretty frustrating. Versus Rosalina and Luigi though peach can actually handle herself and the match ups seem pretty even. Peach loves heavy characters because they're just combo food for her. Peach doesn't have too many bad match ups, she just struggles against the top tiers.
3: whenever it is safe. Defiantly when the match starts, because that'll give you a huge advantage when in neutral game. Turnips help peach a ton in neutral because they make the opponent play defensively. Pull turnips between stocks and juggle for better turnips. Pulling turnips whenever you knock your opponent away is also a good idea.

I hope I was able to help
Thanks for the reply !

I'll test around with Pikachu and ZSS then. Do you know if Roy's a good secondary? His speed might be able to help against the bad match-ups you mentioned.

Also, one last question about turnips. How do you utilize Stitchfaces and Dot-eyes to the fullest extent? I almost always miss with them, and I hate that feeling when I under/overthrow a Stitchface. qq

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
Thanks for the reply !

I'll test around with Pikachu and ZSS then. Do you know if Roy's a good secondary? His speed might be able to help against the bad match-ups you mentioned.

Also, one last question about turnips. How do you utilize Stitchfaces and Dot-eyes to the fullest extent? I almost always miss with them, and I hate that feeling when I under/overthrow a Stitchface. qq
You have to be really patient. They require reads c:
I think treating them like bob-ombs really helps honestly. Only throw them when you see a clear opening

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Hey I'm new to the peach boards and want to learn this character where should I start?

anaglyphix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glyph
3DS FC
3669-0309-2018
How do I beat peach/what are his biggest weaknesses? I'm not talking kiddy, FG peach either. I mean the kind of peach that places in tournaments. I main bowser and Link, if that helps, but I think Link might be my CP against her.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Just wondering from pure curiousity: What is it about Peach that makes her so difficult and frustrating to learn? What are those ATs or something she as that are essential yet difficult to execute? I've been hearing people say her learning curve is ridiculous, arguably the highest one in the game but I have too little experience and knowledge of her to know what's up. I don't know anyone in my region who mains her, I don't know very many top players using her (though I honestly don't follow top players much in general and rarely watch tournament videos at all these days), and personally the only time I play Peach myself is when training my Peach amiibo or very rarely just for fun & games, although I would say my Peach is one of the strongest amiibo in my collection and beats almost everyone else I own besides Lucina, lol

bruna

Smash Rookie
The hardest thing about learning to use peach is that her movement options are like no other character in the game. Floating in general isn't hard to execute (although I know a lot of people don't even know how to make peach float), but to actually harness the benefits of floating, you need a lot of experience and intuition. Players have to get used to floating heights, which situations it is even beneficial to float, etc. Someone who just picks up peach will likely float too much or get in the habit of using punishable approaches, such as floating dair or pulling turnips in non-optimal situations. A lot people don't really get past this stage and don't truly use peach to her full potential.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
You can grab the ledge with your back to the ledge if you close parasol.

(Quoted from the Match-up thread. Please post non match-up related questions in this thread.)

I think the programmers messed up here. Her Dtilt sends grounded opponents 90 degrees down but airborne opponents up. This means her Dtilt can be teched by grounded opponents (most of the time my opponents do it by accident by pressing the shield button) and it will not spike aerial opponents. Samus seems to suffer from a similar problem.
I can't remember but another character in the game had this issue with their dair right? I think it was falco's. I wonder if they can fix peach/samus (mainly ALL of samus) to have their dtilt's not be techable.

ilysm

sleepy
@ KanjiGames KanjiGames Not exactly an overview of the whole matchup so much as some small tips, but I would say to have a turnip in hand most of the time. In order for most any of Marth's aerials to autocancel he needs to do them immediately out of a short-hop and then fade back, and turnip throws will open him up pretty well out of that. Other options that work for this are dash attack, side-b, and maybe aerials if your timing's good. Watch out for his jab, because it leads into a lot now. Make sure shield isn't the only defensive option you're picking, a good Marth will break it quick. Sh->airdodge->float seems good for baiting out his unsafe pokes and punishing. Try and stay near the ground unless you're juggling, and don't float too much. Marth's aerial options tend to be more flexible than his grounded ones since the patch, and your defensive options work better near the ground anyhow.

Last edited:

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
I'm trying to find daily practice partners. I'm trying to learn how to float d-air. How to dash and pivot grab. How to approach without Turnips, how to edge guard Capt falcon, and how to counter Pit.I dont mind paying for help either

Kojirou

Smash Rookie
When is it viable to use combos with multiple down-airs? I see it here and there and I'm wondering how useful they are.

FanboyFan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cody2018
Hi people! I'm new to Smashboards but I've been playing smash since Brawl. I was wondering when to use floated Dair vs regular Dair. I know the floated version is safer for spacing, but I was wondering if there are really any times where normal Dair is preferred.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
I'm trying to find daily practice partners. I'm trying to learn how to float d-air. How to dash and pivot grab. How to approach without Turnips, how to edge guard Capt falcon, and how to counter Pit.I dont mind paying for help either
PM me
When is it viable to use combos with multiple down-airs? I see it here and there and I'm wondering how useful they are.
low percents dair follows into another floated dair or jump into another dair
Hi people! I'm new to Smashboards but I've been playing smash since Brawl. I was wondering when to use floated Dair vs regular Dair. I know the floated version is safer for spacing, but I was wondering if there are really any times where normal Dair is preferred.
I mainly do reagular dair in a short hop. really good at doing a fast unexpected approuch, and unexpected ledge covering option
i never really do full hop dairs or falling dairs
I see some peachs use falling dairs but its pretty easy to punish

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
What Players should I look for to find highlevel gameplay?
Umeki, Kie, and SlayerZ. Also watch EOEs combo game, and DarkPch's movement. Ignore anything anyone else says. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kiera

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to learn canceling Peach's up air so only the first hit box comes out for use as a combo extender (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmTMd1lzjU&t=3m40s) but I can't get it to work consistently. I tried using the rainbow animation as a cue but it seems to be random, I've canceled the move fast enough to not see the rainbow at all and still gotten both hit boxes out, I've also canceled it slowly enough to see the entire rainbow and gotten only the first and have no idea how the animation of the rainbow relates to the activation of the hit boxes. Does anyone have some sort of trick or advice for timing this consistently?

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I've been trying to learn canceling Peach's up air so only the first hit box comes out for use as a combo extender (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmTMd1lzjU&t=3m40s) but I can't get it to work consistently. I tried using the rainbow animation as a cue but it seems to be random, I've canceled the move fast enough to not see the rainbow at all and still gotten both hit boxes out, I've also canceled it slowly enough to see the entire rainbow and gotten only the first and have no idea how the animation of the rainbow relates to the activation of the hit boxes. Does anyone have some sort of trick or advice for timing this consistently?
It's harder to do on standing opponents, on small opponents it's even impossible. Set your opponents to jump or practice the Uair timing using Dtilt > Uair or Dair > Uair. If you do Dair > Uair, make sure to fast fall Uair. Other than that just practice the timing, as far as I know there's not much of a visual cue.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Best way to do peach's float close to the stage? Am I just supposed to jump and then immediately press down ? Or is there a better way?

ilysm

sleepy
No that's pretty much it! ^_^ Short hop for better results. Also maybe you can buffer a float during jumpsquat but I'm not really knowledgeable enough to say that for sure???

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Best way to do peach's float close to the stage? Am I just supposed to jump and then immediately press down ? Or is there a better way?
Hold down, press jump button. You dont have to short hop if you are trying to ground float.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Is there any reason to FC aerials OOS? Does inputting the float just add an extra frame before the aerial comes out, or does it actually lead to better follow ups.

I haven't been able to convert on an OOS FC nair the way I can usually get follow ups off of a normal ground float nair.

EDIT I was misled as to what float cancelling is, didn't realize it was melee only. i guess I'm just talking about ground float aerials OOS

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
Gibbs Gibbs Ground-float aerials still do lead to better followups, not because you cancel lag but because you hit the ground sooner. It's a bit of a trade-off. Think of it this way: if you do a SH-nair OOS, you ideally begin the nair immediately upon leaving the ground, but odds are you won't be able to follow up with anything since Peach takes a while to get back to the ground, even with the aid of fast-falling. On the flip side, if you do a ground-float nair OOS, you'll need to jump, immediately float, and then begin the nair, which is technically slower (not by much but every frame counts in match). However, since you cancel your vertical momentum, you're on the ground immediately and can gain better ground or get a followup off of it. Different options for different situations. I main DJC characters with good punish games in PM (part of why I love Peach so much in this game) so I go over this tradeoff a lot.

So basically; if you think that you can't get a ground-float aerial out of shield fast enough (say the opponent is rushing you down and applying a good deal of pressure) then a regular short-hop nair OOS is probably the better choice because at that point you're more concerned about finding a good 'get-off-me' move to give yourself some breathing room. If you're punishing a shield poke you know is unsafe and you're confident a ground-float aerial will connect then by all means go for it. One of Peach's biggest strengths is her burst offensive options with float and deadly punish game. Make them hurt for hitting your shield wrong.

Keep in mind that most of what I said here mainly applies to nair OOS. Bair OOS won't really lead to followups regardless of whether you float or not, so to my knowledge it's generally best to SHFFL it if they've crossed up your shield and you can't get anything else. Fair OOS is probably not a very good option outside of very specific scenarios, floated or otherwise. Dair is very flexible and still has followups whether you do it out of a float or a short hop, although it probably isn't the best OOS option unless they've done something pretty unsafe on shield considering its speed and hitbox placement. Uair OOS can net different followups depending on whether or not you float it (regular uair as opposed to the initial spike hitbox) but it really only works if your opponent is big or directly above you. Nair is really the only good OOS option whose application changes significantly depending on whether you ground-float it or not.

Hope this helps! ^_^

Last edited:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
I have a question that mainly deals with the MU with Peach and I'm not sure if anyone has asked this question yet but I'm just throwing it out anyway. She's not a character I come across too often so I don't have the right amount of knowledge needed to properly handle the character. My question is: How do I deal with her floatiness? When I do manage to come across good Peach's I often find myself having a difficult time trying to figure out a way to deal with it. I wish I had a replay I could upload and show but I don't think it's really hard to imagine my situation. Whenever I do For Glory Team Battle and time is running out Peach mains at kill percent just float off the stage and it seems impossible for me to catch them because they can easily out maneuver me and I can't attack from above because the parasol out prioritizes everything that comes down from above, or so it seems.

Is there any way I should be approaching Peach? Is there anything I can do to catch a fleeing Peach off stage? I honestly don't know any of her weaknesses. Do I play more defense? Bait out some of her attacks? Peach's I fight do her Dair a lot and I can't seem to get around it with my aggressive approaches. I'm an offensive Sonic main, I don't rely too heavily on defense so I'm always trying to get in as much as possible and just attack.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
If Peach's float got taken away would you guys still play her?

ilysm

sleepy
Probably not. It's the float that gives her all of the movement options that made me love her in this game. My biggest complaint with Brawl and Smash 4 was the lack of an organic movement system like Melee's, which took away from player expression somewhat. Peach is like a remedy to that for me. She's so fun when I have my movement down.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
How important is playing without tap jump? I know most top Peach mains have tap jump off and I'm wondering if it's important. Mainly because I have most of Peach's float movement down with tap jump and I really don't want to have to re-learn it all with Y. (Tried it for 2 hours today, it's hell ;-; ) Really is there any downside to using tap jump?

Last edited:

Elite Smasher

Elite Smash Expert & Smashologist
NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
How important is playing without tap jump? I know most top Peach mains have tap jump off and I'm wondering if it's important. Mainly because I have most of Peach's float movement down with tap jump and I really don't want to have to re-learn it all with Y. (Tried it for 2 hours today, it's hell ;-; ) Really is there any downside to using tap jump?
As long as you can do everything else then it does not matter at all.

Royal_Tea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Royal_MC7
Does anyone have suggestions on the match-up against Mr. Game and Watch? I lost to one during a winner's finals match at a local tourney. His Chef special move basically wrecks a lot of Peach's angled approach methods and is safe to use. Challenging him in the air is also difficult because his aerials are faster except for Peach's bair. His dair also can go 50/50 against Peach's upB. I think my biggest problem is handling his recovery which is safer and more fleixble than Peach's as well as the number 9 which is more frequent and deadly than a bom-omb.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Don't challenge chef, its range is lacking so you can just run away and pull turnips. If you want you can also roll through it to get behind him, and if you're pressured by the edge you can double jump over it. Use float to bait out aerials and punish with fair. Dair isn't as good in this MU b/c like you said his aerials are quick. Don't challenge dair with Up B lol, just wait and punish its landing lag. G&W may have a better recovery but he dies incredibly early, so try for those fairs / fsmashes / up smashes to seal a kill early. Finally try to avoid getting grabbed by G&W at early percent if 9 is giving you trouble, as after you get to a high enough of a percent down throw no longer combos into judge and therefore makes 9 extremely difficult to hit.

Last edited:

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
What is the optimal way of holding a Gamecube Controller when hovering as Peach and doing an aerial and continue floating. I end up doing a weird claw thing that hurts my hands...

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
What would be the best option against shieks needles and bouncing fish?

Royal_Tea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Royal_MC7
What is the optimal way of holding a Gamecube Controller when hovering as Peach and doing an aerial and continue floating. I end up doing a weird claw thing that hurts my hands...
What do you use to jump? I would recommend X or Y to jump, some players even use L trigger to jump. There is the Claw Method that Peach users use, but it's uncomfortable if your hand is untrained and the benefits aren't major. I use Y to jump so my thumb covers jump, special moves, and attack. I wouldn't recommend using the C-stick unless you are doing retreating fairs or approaching bairs.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
What would be the best option against shieks needles and bouncing fish?
Walking with powersheilding, shield stop, and jump cancel fast fall all work well. The latter is especially helpful and should be practiced in training mode until mastered (tutorial here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxSNOCgRJI). Also feel free to pull a turnip or two if you're at a far distance.

Just know that needle camping is annoying no matter what character you're playing, and you're definitely not going to be able to avoid it all. There's a lot of videos of top peach's vs sheiks so feel free to watch and study how they adapt to needles if you're still having difficulties.

Top Bottom