• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a simple question, get a simple answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sierrahotel

Smash Rookie
1) In team brawl, how do you take a stock from your teammate? I know in melee you could just press start, but its different in brawl.

2) I've been trying to get good at ice climbers lately, but I can't seem to get the hang of the desynch or chain/nana grabs. I haven't been able to find a really good tutorial on how to do chaingrab for brawl. Can someone tell me how, or link me a guide?

Ichida

Smash Ace
Is there a way to make the game automatically recognize your custom control scheme? Every time I start the game or go from one mode to another (like from VS to Event), controls are reset, and I have to click it and reselect it. This is an inconvenience that eventually leads to me forgetting to set it at all, which is annoying when I'm doing something important like a Classic Mode run.

Is there a way to fix this, or am I stuck with it?
Names. Saves personal control schemes. Make sure you transfer them to a Wiimote if you play on other Wiis.

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
I had nothing better to do so I made some testing about knockbacks for you nmaster64. Following percents are the lowest in which Bowser would die surely from the middle of Final Destination with no DI and every move charged to its max.

Ike - NB 39%, F-smash 30%
DeDeDe - F-Smash 27%
Ganon - NB 36%, 180 NB 27%
G&W - NB 9 14%

Oh, and I tested G&W's DB move too. It seems there's damage cap set to 60% and if that hits you it's practically a one hit KO. Knockback isn't as much as with baseball bat though. Counters might make it even more effective but I'll leave that to others...

1) In team brawl, how do you take a stock from your teammate? I know in melee you could just press start, but its different in brawl.
A + B

War Raichu

Smash Apprentice
Names. Saves personal control schemes. Make sure you transfer them to a Wiimote if you play on other Wiis.
but how does it make the game automatically recognize my control scheme? All it allows me to do is erase my name or add it to my Wiimote. I want to be able to start the game up, go to VS, and not have to go down to Player 1 and change it to my name.

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
I had nothing better to do so I made some testing about knockbacks for you nmaster64. Following percents are the lowest in which Bowser would die surely from the middle of Final Destination with no DI and every move charged to its max.

Ike - NB 39%, F-smash 30%
DeDeDe - F-Smash 27%
Ganon - NB 36%, 180 NB 27%
G&W - NB 9 14%

Oh, and I tested G&W's DB move too. It seems there's damage cap set to 60% and if that hits you it's practically a one hit KO. Knockback isn't as much as with baseball bat though. Counters might make it even more effective but I'll leave that to others...
Thanks so much!

Can you be more specific about that? Like, is it always A + B, regardless of control scheme? Or is it Attack+Special?

but how does it make the game automatically recognize my control scheme? All it allows me to do is erase my name or add it to my Wiimote. I want to be able to start the game up, go to VS, and not have to go down to Player 1 and change it to my name.
You will always have to change to a profile to get it to set a custom control scheme.

Unfortunately there's no place to set a default profile... :/

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
Can you be more specific about that? Like, is it always A + B, regardless of control scheme? Or is it Attack+Special?
I thought of giving more specific answer but I got a bit lazy. :p But yeah, it's always A + B. Don't have a classic controller to test with though but I'm sure it's the same because every other controller type has it in A + B too.

piclemaniscool

Smash Rookie
I Preordered brawl from Circuit City to come to my house. They said it would arrive by the 19. how would it take that long? (unless they were shipping directly from Japan. I doubt that though)

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
I Preordered brawl from Circuit City to come to my house. They said it would arrive by the 19. how would it take that long? (unless they were shipping directly from Japan. I doubt that though)
Stocking problems.

Is there a thread or guide that can help beginners get better and teach them advanced techniques to become better.
There isn't a specific guide for Brawl n00bs yet, but there is a compilation of techniques as they are being discovered (here) and there's usually a guide stickied in each character forum, which is probably your best bet.

Lurk moar, and use resources like SmashWiki which can be really helpful if you don't understand certain terminology or whatnot...

pirkid

Smash Lord
I haven't seen anyone confirm any limit and if there is I suppose it's pretty high. I got bored testing after I had 40 custom stages made. Sakurai says following in DOJO: "And I’m happy that this is compatible with SD cards. You don’t have to worry about size, so make as many stages as you like."

Do you mean daily stage from Nintendo or ones from friends? Daily stages cannot be saved but I have no idea about those you've got from friends because I haven't been able to test that. Though I don't see a single reason why those couldn't be saved.
Thanks a lot, you're being really helpful throughout this thread.

How do you download stages?
If you download a stage, put it on an SD card, and read the stage on your Wii, can you save it to your Wii?

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
To Download a Stage:
1. Save it to the following location on your SD card: \private\wii\app\RSBE\st\filename.bin

2. Put the SD card in your Wii and start up SSBB.

3. Stage Builder -> SD Card -> Check Content -> Move
This will put it on your Wii and then it will be available when you click random...

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
Match must be at most 3 minutes long.

Afterwords on the victory page they'll be a button under your results to save replay. On the classic controller I know it's Zr...

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
do you know when aus, uk release date is?
Still no information of any kind but trust me, when they finally announce the release date you will see a couple of topics with titles in full capitals concerning it. Or maybe not that extreme but you get the point.;)

kingjoekur

Smash Apprentice
To Download a Stage:
1. Save it to the following location on your SD card: \private\wii\app\RSBE\st\filename.bin

2. Put the SD card in your Wii and start up SSBB.

3. Stage Builder -> SD Card -> Check Content -> Move
This will put it on your Wii and then it will be available when you click random...
i just got a wii for this game, dont know exactly how to save to a specific location (\private\wii\app\RSBE\st\filename.bin)?

thanx for ur help tho

Retman_Brawl

Smash Rookie
Does people who use the Freeloader to load a NTSC copy of brawl on a PAL wii experience Lag when playing against other people?

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
i just got a wii for this game, dont know exactly how to save to a specific location (\private\wii\app\RSBE\st\filename.bin)?
Make those folders to your SD card (start from private, end to st)? You could probably make a custom stage too and save in to your SD card to get same result.

Does people who use the Freeloader to load a NTSC copy of brawl on a PAL wii experience Lag when playing against other people?
Just as much as everyone else. Having PAL Wii and using Freeloader has absolutely nothing to do with lag.

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
Quick question that may or may not have a specific thread designated for it.

Is there a thread with all these abbreviations?

I am not sure what a DI is, and I think I might know what a Sweetspot is after reading a couple threads.

All these terms are confusing me as I never really did get into the online world with Melee.

Thanks in advance.

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
Which characters DON'T you unlock by playing through Subspace Emissary?
Toon Link, Jigglypuff and Wolf. You need to collect Ganondorf's trophy in order to get him however (or that's what I've heard, I unlocked everything by playing vs mode).

Quick question that may or may not have a specific thread designated for it.

Is there a thread with all these abbreviations?

I am not sure what a DI is, and I think I might know what a Sweetspot is after reading a couple threads.

All these terms are confusing me as I never really did get into the online world with Melee.

Thanks in advance.
There isn't any for Brawl yet but there is a big topin for melee here. Most of the stuff is still the same so reading that trough might help.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
I guess this kinda pertains to Brawl, but does anyone know a good, cheap SD card reader?

To keep this on-topic... is there any idea when Brawl's online will be up (With anyone; Also, sometimes I am not able to connect)?

Spital

Smash Rookie
I have been playing SSB casually amongst friends since the original and started reading the forums last night for tactics on my character (Falco). So I have two questions that may seem very stupid but I just don't understand many of the terms used.

What does it mean to "Spike" your opponent?

And when using the Wiimote sideways which button are my "tilts"?

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
I have been playing SSB casually amongst friends since the original and started reading the forums last night for tactics on my character (Falco). So I have two questions that may seem very stupid but I just don't understand many of the terms used.

What does it mean to "Spike" your opponent?

And when using the Wiimote sideways which button are my "tilts"?
Spikes are moves that send you downwards while in the air. Falco's down air is a good example.

For Wiimote tilts you just press d-pad button first and then 2 (or whatever is your normal attack button). If you press 2 too quickly though you will make a smash attack. Also, up tilts are hard to do because due to lack of analog stick you either press button or you don't and whenever you press up you will jump. That's why you can't do them before jumping or making some other move first (you have to press up while you're still making your attack, though if you do it at the very end of your move there's still a risk of ending up jumping afterwards because of buffering system).

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
I HOPE there's a simple answer to my question.

I'm just wondering, how's the behavior/physics of the airdodge in Brawl? I'm wondering how much it's changed from Melee, if at all. Is it still a quick, linear shift in the air like in Melee?

fransisco4

Smash Cadet
Whats the diference between u-tilt, and usmash and all the other tilts and all the smashes

Edit: While using the Nunchuk+ Wiimote. And how do u airdodge?

nmaster64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nmaster64
3DS FC
4210-3983-6182
I'm just wondering, how's the behavior/physics of the airdodge in Brawl? I'm wondering how much it's changed from Melee, if at all. Is it still a quick, linear shift in the air like in Melee?
It's completely different from Melee. One of the biggest changes to adjust to.

There is no DI on airdodging now, you simply continue to fall as normal but get a few frames where attacks pass through you. In exchange, airdodging can be done multiple times and does not disable your other moves afterwards.

Whats the diference between u-tilt, and usmash and all the other tilts and all the smashes

A tilt is hitting attack while holding a direction. A smash is done when pressing a direction and attack at the same time. They are simply two different types of attacks. Smashes are generally stronger but slower and are chargable, tilts are generally quick and used most often for combo purposes.

On any controller configuration I believe airdodge is the shield button...

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
I HOPE there's a simple answer to my question.

It looks the same as in Melee but you keep the same momentum all the time and can do it multiple times. There is a little moment after air dodge where you're unable to attack, jump or do a new air dodge but can still move your character as much as you want. Hope this answered to your question.

The difference between tilts and smashers is they are completely different moves. Also only smashs can charged. And only thing how controller type affects those is if you are using bare Wiimote u-tilt is much harder and more ankward to do because there is no analog stick.

You can airdodge by pressing either shield or grab (with exceptions of Link, Toon Link, Samus, Zamus and Lucas) button.

nmaster64 managed to answer both of these questions while I was making my message but who cares.:)

bump

Smash Cadet
Which game is more tactical and why is it that?! SSBM or SSBB?

Please objectively.

bump

Smash Cadet
Is there a super smash brothers dictionary? I don't get some terms people use, one that tells you how to do them too, like tilt, I don't know what it means.
wtf...

need more tactic know-how for ssbb or ssbm??? What is more demanding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom