• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

KRiMz0N

Smash Journeyman
my feet are draggin down on this dusty old road
I've posted questions. I do it all the time. If you want to look back a couple of pages you can check my question and see the response I got. As for giving false information once again I took the info about Marth grab release to nair from Ulevo's guide. It's not my fault that they were linking to a guide with false information. Also want to point out some of my wrong answers?

You obv don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about nor do you know what my post is in reference to so maybe you should just shut the **** up read a couple off pages back and **** off buddy.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Well put, good sir.

Inle~Orichas said:
In fact, just to stay on topic, I'm going to ask: What are some of the best FF-Uair follow ups? Up smash seems simple, but I'm sure there are some more damaging strings of attacks that better your own position. I couldn't find a specific thread on the subject, so I'm just wondering.
Usmash is most likely your most damaging follow up, utilt is probably the safest, although usmash is generally safe

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
one of my favorites is the fsmash but you could grab too if you want and then follow up with even more frightening strings

can someone please explain planking? i read up on it a bit but still dun totally understand it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
can someone please explain planking? i read up on it a bit but still dun totally understand it.
It's basically ledgedropping into regrabbing the ledge, using the ledge invulnerability to minimize how often you can be hit and the position right under the stage to keep a positional advantage. Except doing that repeatedly. For the rest of the game. And doing an attack or something if they try to hit you off the ledge.

In other words, camping the ledge and fishing for a timeout. Obviously this is much more effective when you have multiple jumps and multiple recovery options, like Meta Knight.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Fthrow, Fthrow, dtilt on the edge is way better then attemping a dair with like a 5% success rate.
Yes ^^. Definitely go for the fsmash in all other circumstances though. Better damage.

Other random stuff I'd like to see more Marths use (that they may or may not know of). I'm still a noob so take it as you will.

Usmash oos wrecks dash attacks/poorly spaced aerials -- more % than a Snake ftilt + it juggles

Fullhop dair onstage is good (when used sparingly)

Fthrow - walk forward - fthrow is sexy. Just powershield any incoming aerials and punish.

Dthrow - wait - fullhop bair is too good

More ftilt use. Great vs ledgehopped/jumped aerials when edgeguarding. Pretty sure it ***** ROB's nair when spaced correctly.

Powershield - fsmash oos works sometimes. Very fun.

When on the ledge, stop going for the **** ledgehop dair and just drop bair them xD. I see this way too often.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
This most likely isn't anywhere close to a combo, but yesterday I was messing around on the spacies, and I pulled off Dthrow->Dair where you hit with the back swing of the Dair. But I doubt you could do it on an actual opponent, I was doing it against a level 3.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Fthrow x2, dthrow x5, tipper fsmash is REAL on fox.

It's also real on Falco, except 3 dthrows instead of 5.
Shaya can you go into more detail about this? Like what kind of dash I have to do in order to get the regrab and stuff. I keep seeing thins about dthrow CG for marth but people keep saying it's poor di and what not.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Shaya can you go into more detail about this? Like what kind of dash I have to do in order to get the regrab and stuff. I keep seeing thins about dthrow CG for marth but people keep saying it's poor di and what not.

There is only one kind of dash, and no its not about DI. This is guaranteed if u dont whiff a grab or screw up timing. Just dash, grab, throw, lather, rinse, repeat.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

There is only one kind of dash, and no its not about DI. This is guaranteed if u dont whiff a grab or screw up timing. Just dash, grab, throw, lather, rinse, repeat.
Really maybe I should change my grab button and practice this. I thought you had to buffer something....

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Krimzon.
You doing a fair whilst on the stage/not jumping etc etc IS A DIRECT RESULT OF A LEDGE CANCELLED 'JUMP'. Where you are considered in the air and on the ground at the same time (kinda... you just get a weird mix of both).

Marth's hair is a direct example of what you did.

You can buffer dashes, and it would be a good idea to learn how to. Unfortunately you only have 2 frame buffer window to dash from a throw, so it is difficult. Especially as the timing of the throw is different for most characters

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Krimzon.
You doing a fair whilst on the stage/not jumping etc etc IS A DIRECT RESULT OF A LEDGE CANCELLED 'JUMP'. Where you are considered in the air and on the ground at the same time (kinda... you just get a weird mix of both).

Marth's hair is a direct example of what you did.

You can buffer dashes, and it would be a good idea to learn how to. Unfortunately you only have 2 frame buffer window to dash from a throw, so it is difficult. Especially as the timing of the throw is different for most characters
a 2 frame window doesn't seem like much time. buffer dash i just tap dash twice right?

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
too many pages to surf through to get this confirmed, and I just absolutely cannot drop this feeling, even though it's. quite. known by now I would guess.

You guys(the marth mains) already know about Marths Throw strings(y'know the whole Fthrow -> Fthrow -> Fsmash and all that) well this one concerns Snake, and I've done so many tests, on actual humans, computers, everything but I am still unsure.

Is Fthrow -> Dair Tipper(spike) a legit chainspike at 11% or below? let's take an example from 0%. I could be on the half way mark of battlefield. Do 3 Fthrows in Marth's string throw succession, and each time I have tested this this leads to a Dair Tipper. I'm wondering if there's a way to DI out of it, any of that stuff that would nullify this.

If need be I can also record a vid to show what I'm talking about.

Even if this is not legit the Fthrow sets a position for a Dair tipper anyways. so It's a nice string.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
that seems pretty legit to me slash depending on the character they may survive though I think d3 can survive and same with shiek but the spacies prob die from a spike so early.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Marth can juggle snake so well you'd think he was a clown in a past life. I pretty much always uthrow snake since it puts him in a position to get *****. You are pretty much guaranteed uthrow->utilt -> regrab if you are smart about baiting a reaction from snake. The best thing about juggling is that it keeps your fair and fsmash fresh and allows them to kill once you are done pinballing snake in the air.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Oh hello there,

Why is it that tourny Marths never approach D3 with SH fairs? Can D3 shieldgrab a spaced fair?
Depends on the fair. A SH fair, standard, can probably be SG'd because you're dedicating yourself to the attack. I see Marths all the time approach DDD with SH Retreating fairs, though. Other options are safer sometimes, though

loki15

Smash Cadet
I realize this is generally a matter of personal preference, and I haven't gone through the entire FAQ thread, but what are feelings on tap jump? I know on allows a DS OoS... but does it also generally make SHing easier?

MikeSanti

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5242-9800
Quick question, doesn't pertain to Marth but I've never seen this anywhere. Scenario was:

Marth vs DK , Yoshi's Island.

DK breaks Marth's shield, Marth is in the air, lands near the edge of yoshis island and I was able to jump the moment I landed. I inputted Shield before I hit the floor as well as jump. Any reason for this?

Found my answer. Tilted edge.

loki15

Smash Cadet
Thanks. That clears a lot up.

I've checked through the stickies and the Marth guides, but I still feel I need a little bit of help with "mindgames">_>

I know a lot of people don't necessarily approve of the term, but is there anything that can be offered without video critique?

Just general, personal techniques would be fine, I'm just looking for a starting point to develop my own.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Mindgames = baiting attacks and or actions from your opponent. Things like, jumping at your opponent so they airdodge then either fairing when they are vulnerable or fast falling and grabbing them. Just learn now to make your opponent think you are doing one thing then take advantage of it.

Actraiser

Smash Cadet
What do you good people use for your grab? I find the default to be less than ideal but I'm not sure what else to use except maybe one of the jump buttons but I don't know..

Top Bottom