• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c93mDy0HFU&feature=youtu.be&t=320

People still compete on Donkey Kong world records on the original cabinets/arcade boards. People still enter pinball tournaments to compete on pinball machines older than video games themselves. Take your awful logic elsewhere in a terrible attempt to push your ****ty "muh HDTV, muh gamecube controller, muh Wii/Wii U" agenda somewhere else.
Are you sure my agenda isn't to push the original N64 hardware? I've got plenty of them to sell. :laugh:

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice
I bet this is the guy who is always trying to sell bonér Pills on the boards. Go away dude, we don't want a freaking pharmaceutical boner! We want boners made with love

Compatible

Smash Cadet
For whatever reason.. I've been added to the skype group, yet it is not showing up in my recent conversations. Can one of the Skype admins (no clue who they are) remove me from the group and then add me back? I've tried re-installing already, so if this doesn't work I'll just create a new username.

Username: Dans1120

Thanks

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I love you guys!

Anybody who knows me understands that I have the deepest respect for the competitive Smash 64 scene. In fact, I do everything in my power to help promote it.

Hey Fireblaster, thank you so much for linking me to this awesome video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c93mDy0HFU&feature=youtu.be&t=320

I just finished watching the whole thing and really enjoyed seeing such high-level players keeping the flame of Super Turbo alive after all these years.

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I don't know anything about streaming but would like to.

What is the necessary equipment/hardware? What is the necessary software? How do I stream for online and console smash 64?

shoops

Smash Rookie
So this might be a dumb question so apologies in advance, but are there any mods that add characters to the game? Is that at all possible?

Sedda

Smash Champion
So this might be a dumb question so apologies in advance, but are there any mods that add characters to the game? Is that at all possible?
Don't think that there's been a mod with more chars, but the Chileans have a mod with character alterations, different skins for maps and other stuff. It's pretty cool

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Don't think that there's been a mod with more chars, but the Chileans have a mod with character alterations, different skins for maps and other stuff. It's pretty cool
Felipe and Danny_SSB on this forum has made most of those videos

Sedda

Smash Champion
I'm not sure how to phrase this, buuut

when DK uses downB to techchase (after a stomp or something), can the attack hit the opponent as theyre coming down before theyre given the opportunity to even tech? Is it always better to time it to coincide with the tech and cover multiple options, or is it possible to "catch" them before it? I'm not talking about a missed tech btw. I guess I'm asking whether the Down B can intercept the opponent from landing in the first place, or does the landing override whatever the attack is doing to give them the option to tech or not tech?

not sure if that makes sense, but im asking because sometimes it seems like you can stomp an opponent that's supposed to be landing and you successfully get the bounce-off as if they had been standing up all along... or maybe they do go into the regular standing/landing animation before the stomp hits but it happens too quick to tell (???)

help

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

when DK uses downB to techchase (after a stomp or something), can the attack hit the opponent as theyre coming down before theyre given the opportunity to even tech? Is it always better to time it to coincide with the tech and cover multiple options, or is it possible to "catch" them before it? I'm not talking about a missed tech btw. I guess I'm asking whether the Down B can intercept the opponent from landing in the first place, or does the landing override whatever the attack is doing to give them the option to tech or not tech?

not sure if that makes sense, but im asking because sometimes it seems like you can stomp an opponent that's supposed to be landing and you successfully get the bounce-off as if they had been standing up all along... or maybe they do go into the regular standing/landing animation before the stomp hits but it happens too quick to tell (???)

help
im not sure about down b. but im pretty sure you can use a dair as an opponent is about to hit the ground while in hitstun and they will pop back up in the air as if they were on the ground. It's a pretty small window but im pretty sure it cannot be tech'd and is a true combo. I think i've even tried it in training mode and the combo meter doesn't reset, it's been awhile tho so i cant remember for sure. this works with any character with a spike dair btw. i do it with ness pretty often.

The Star King

Smash Hero

help
No, you are invincible immediately when you tech and DK's down-b can only hit grounded opponents.

im not sure about down b. but im pretty sure you can use a dair as an opponent is about to hit the ground while in hitstun and they will pop back up in the air as if they were on the ground. It's a pretty small window but im pretty sure it cannot be tech'd and is a true combo. I think i've even tried it in training mode and the combo meter doesn't reset, it's been awhile tho so i cant remember for sure. this works with any character with a spike dair btw. i do it with ness pretty often.
This is not a true combo because teching will avoid it. It's a known "error' of the Training Mode combo meter.

Last edited:

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
What's your current skill level?

Learn to 0-death pika from 0% at different stage positions.

Shield drop bair.

Shield drop uair.

Incorporate fastfall uair into combos.

Last edited:

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I am getting back into 64, and I'm loving it. Definitely a breath of fresh air from the other games in the series. I use Mario (occasionally Pikachu), and my roommate uses Ness and Kirby. My roommate is pretty good, he reacts very quickly to situations and is pretty solid fundamentally. He doesn't know about Z-canceling I don't think but he techs pretty much everything so he's at least aware of things like that.

He beats me because obviously he's played longer, but I think I wouldn't have as much trouble if not for one thing: grabs. No matter what I do, I always get grabbed. I know he's coming to grab me, so I attack, but I still get grabbed. I've learned that shielding in 64 is not a good option compared to the other games (at least from my perspective). Other than playing keepaway, is there a good way to deter him from going for the grab every time?

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Why do I often see Isai rolling into the ledge when setting up for an edgeguard?

He does it all the time, and I don't see the thought process. Is it just him messing around, or is there a reason?

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I am getting back into 64, and I'm loving it. Definitely a breath of fresh air from the other games in the series. I use Mario (occasionally Pikachu), and my roommate uses Ness and Kirby. My roommate is pretty good, he reacts very quickly to situations and is pretty solid fundamentally. He doesn't know about Z-canceling I don't think but he techs pretty much everything so he's at least aware of things like that.

He beats me because obviously he's played longer, but I think I wouldn't have as much trouble if not for one thing: grabs. No matter what I do, I always get grabbed. I know he's coming to grab me, so I attack, but I still get grabbed. I've learned that shielding in 64 is not a good option compared to the other games (at least from my perspective). Other than playing keepaway, is there a good way to deter him from going for the grab every time?
try to spend less time shielding/rolling and more time in the air. since you know how to z cancel you can take advantage of this and really barrage your roommate with aerials. if you are good with short hops take advantage of this as well. if you cant short hop it is super important to get this down consistently. The more time you spend in the air the harder it will be for your roommate to get grabs.

Why do I often see Isai rolling into the ledge when setting up for an edgeguard?

He does it all the time, and I don't see the thought process. Is it just him messing around, or is there a reason?
i think it's just a good way to get near the edge and setup for an edgegaurd without accidently running off. There could be more to it than that but that's always what i've thought of it

Last edited:

nickthename

Smash Apprentice

Mario and Pika are characters that have grabs as extremely important parts of their games. Kirby's grab is very poor, except sometimes as a finisher against light characters like Jiggs. As pika against Ness and Kirby, if you play for grabs and your opponent plays for grabs, you'll do better than your opponent, even if they get the grab slightly more than you do. Mario can do Dair to grab, and he can also often get grabs out of hitting the opponent with fireballs. Pika can get grabs off of his fair, and pretty easily in neutral as well, thanks to his fast movement and small body.

If there's an easy answer to "How do I not get grabbed", I don't know it. Being grabbed less will come as you become a stronger player. This is because a big part of avoiding grabs is avoiding being in lag or making mistakes in neutral. So, practice your movement, your Z-cancels, your aerial spacing, etc. I also strongly recommend playing against a wide group of people, you'll improve much faster that way.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
i think it's just a good way to get near the edge and setup for an edgegaurd without accidently running off. There could be more to it than that but that's always what i've thought of it
Yeah there is that, but maybe that isn't giving Isai enough credit.

Here is my hypothesis, Isai perceives the game in terms of the smallest pixels, and by rolling into the ledge, he is standardizing his edgeguarding flowchart so that he will know exactly at what point to react against every recovery and in making sure he is at that exact point, he is cutting down his margin of error. Is it crazy to think that he might think this way?

I've seen Jousuke play a "20 moves in the future" type of neutral game where he takes these seemingly imperceptibly small positioning advantages in the neutral game, and slowly forces them into a "deadly trap". Seeing stuff like this, I feel like I need to question the purpose every little movement that these top players make.

Last edited:

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice

Here is my hypothesis, Isai perceives the game in terms of the smallest pixels, and by rolling into the ledge, he is standardizing his edgeguarding flowchart so that he will know exactly at what point to react against every recovery and in making sure he is at that exact point, he is cutting down his margin of error. Is it crazy to think that he might think this way?

I've seen Jousuke play a "20 moves in the future" type of neutral game where he takes these seemingly imperceptibly small positioning advantages in the neutral game, and slowly forces them into a "deadly trap". Seeing stuff like this, I feel like I need to question the purpose every little movement that these top players make.
Dude it's a video game

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
How do I consistently ledge cancel when recovering with pikachus upb? Is it based on the characters position on the screen when recovering, the angle that you upb to it from, do I let the joystick go back to neutral for the extended upb or is it more consistent with just a normal upb? Any input would be valuable.

Shears

Smash Master
How do I consistently ledge cancel when recovering with pikachus upb? Is it based on the characters position on the screen when recovering, the angle that you upb to it from, do I let the joystick go back to neutral for the extended upb or is it more consistent with just a normal upb? Any input would be valuable.
You ledge cancel by landing on the ledge, thats it. So it all depends on you aiming and hitting that ledge. Sometimes it means you extend the upb, sometimes it doesn't. From any position on the map, you have a distance from any ledge by D=sqrt((Lx-Px)^2 + (Ly-Py)^2). Pika can achieve distances based on the 2 vectors of his upb where X=P1*cos(A1) + P2*cos(A2) and Y=P1*sin(A1) + P2*sin(A2). Distance pika travels in upb is determined by B=sqrt((X-Px)^2 + (Y-Py)^2)

Lx=X coordinate of ledge
Ly=Y coordinate of ledge
Px=X coordinate of pika
Py=Y coordinate of pika
P1=Magnitude of first pika upb
A1=Direction of first pika upb
P2=Magnitude of second pika upb
A2=Direction of second pika upb

Pika can ledge cancel any ledge where D<=B

The consistency at which you ledge cancel is the consistency you have of making D=B and Px2=Lx and Py2=Ly.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

i totally agree and was actually was already thinking that exact same idea but i didn't know how to put it in words. well done

caneut

Smash Ace
You ledge cancel by landing on the ledge, thats it. So it all depends on you aiming and hitting that ledge. Sometimes it means you extend the upb, sometimes it doesn't. From any position on the map, you have a distance from any ledge by D=sqrt((Lx-Px)^2 + (Ly-Py)^2). Pika can achieve distances based on the 2 vectors of his upb where X=P1*cos(A1) + P2*cos(A2) and Y=P1*sin(A1) + P2*sin(A2). Distance pika travels in upb is determined by B=sqrt((X-Px)^2 + (Y-Py)^2)

Lx=X coordinate of ledge
Ly=Y coordinate of ledge
Px=X coordinate of pika
Py=Y coordinate of pika

The consistency at which you ledge cancel is the consistency you have of making D=B and Px2=Lx and Py2=Ly.
nerd

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

Lx=X coordinate of ledge
Ly=Y coordinate of ledge
Px=X coordinate of pika
Py=Y coordinate of pika

we get it You know basic vector addition. Probably not a very helpful answer tho

i'm still trying to get this down consistently and it is very difficult but i might have some insight. basically i think it's about memorizing certain positions on the stage or in the air and knowing a basic input that can get you to the ledge from that exact coordinate. for instance you may memorize that if you are at x position, you can up b perfectly diagonal and then perfectly horizontal to get a ledge cancel. You can memorize numerous positions on the map and know the correct input for each position. I recommend only memorizing positions where 2 (or 1) of the 8 basic directions will give you a ledge cancel because the 8 directions are the easiest to consistently perform on an n64 controller.

as for getting a ledge cancel when you aren't in one of these memorized positions, you might as well just give it a shot and aim for the edge as best as you can and hope for the best. i dont expect i will ever be able to get consistent edgecancels in situations like this, but it doesnt hurt to go for them to escape a combo or something when you cant upb to a grabbable ledge.

Krypto

Smash Cadet
Is there anything similar to 20xx for melee except made for smash 64??? I'm tired of playing crappy level 9 cpu's but I like 64 and don't want to switch to melee

Annex

Smash Ace
Does 20xx make CPU's better? We have 19xx but I don't think it does
Why don't you play online or go to east coast locals?

Sedda

Smash Champion
When are you guys gonna make it so that cpus can tech every time. I need to practice my techchasr set ups

Sedda

Smash Champion
This had been done. Tech an z cancel. Doesn't help that much because they're still as predictable.
What do you mean? So they tech on the same direction every time?
My goal is to use this for guaranteed tech chase set ups on platforms and near the ledges. Is there a way to make them tech randomlyrandomly?

Top Bottom