• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

D

Deleted member

why can't you select two mains on here? :c

I just bought Smash on the 3DS. Which game do you like better? Do you still prefer 64?

I'm also finding that because I put so much practice into Yoshi in 64, there is not much learning curve. ^_^)/

Last edited by a moderator:

UnholyWeapon

Smash Apprentice
Yo, I use to play SSB online with most of y'all guys. Evern had the privilege of teaming with malva00 (Isai) back then on some games. Stopped playing a few years ago and only played melee the past few years, wantingto get back in the scene. I want to start back online playing on a server or p2p. Can someone send me a link for the smash emu that will work online? I'm out of Tx so not sure which server to choose to get best frames.. Thanks

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Yo, I use to play SSB online with most of y'all guys. Evern had the privilege of teaming with malva00 (Isai) back then on some games. Stopped playing a few years ago and only played melee the past few years, wantingto get back in the scene. I want to start back online playing on a server or p2p. Can someone send me a link for the smash emu that will work online? I'm out of Tx so not sure which server to choose to get best frames.. Thanks
Just google pj64k, first link. Everyone is on Outter heaven and smash FU ny. Not many people play anymore.

caneut

Smash Ace
don't listen to smasherx. www.onlinessb.com should have everything you need. theres a discord chat to find games, but your best server might be GA, or you could play with west coast people, and NY is always an option but not the best frame wise for you

Uair

Banned via Warnings
don't listen to smasherx. www.onlinessb.com should have everything you need. theres a discord chat to find games, but your best server might be GA, or you could play with west coast people, and NY is always an option but not the best frame wise for you
The PJ64k blogspot is still the only site that explains everything about kaillera, has tutorials on AQZ/P2P and how to setup your own Kaillera Server along with all the information on how to do it.

Not to mention it keeps up to date with server list for Mupen64++ and Pj64k, and the emulator there is the only fully functional one without pop up errors every time you load it. Cancer can you stop calling smasher? I thought you were banned.

D

Deleted member

who do you main?

Shears

Smash Master
The PJ64k blogspot is still the only site that explains everything about kaillera, has tutorials on AQZ/P2P and how to setup your own Kaillera Server along with all the information on how to do it.

Not to mention it keeps up to date with server list for Mupen64++ and Pj64k, and the emulator there is the only fully functional one without pop up errors every time you load it. Cancer can you stop calling smasher? I thought you were banned.
Link to the blogspot?

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience running a smash 64 tournament on emulation only? Our community is interested in the idea for various reasons (ease of access, controller freedom, increased setups at tournament, increased interest). We're wondering about input lag, is it a problem with emulators? I couldn't see there being a hardware issue as adapters are made to be lagless. Software-wise has anyone tested input lag for various emulators to see if PC emulation is viable for tournament setting? Considering that the game itself can lag even on N64, a frame or two of lag of PC wouldn't seem like a huge problem and may actually be a better solution in the long term. Thoughts?

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone have any experience running a smash 64 tournament on emulation only? Our community is interested in the idea for various reasons (ease of access, controller freedom, increased setups at tournament, increased interest). We're wondering about input lag, is it a problem with emulators? I couldn't see there being a hardware issue as adapters are made to be lagless. Software-wise has anyone tested input lag for various emulators to see if PC emulation is viable for tournament setting? Considering that the game itself can lag even on N64, a frame or two of lag of PC wouldn't seem like a huge problem and may actually be a better solution in the long term. Thoughts?
Combo blaze does. The Zelda64 community started adding time or something to emulator runs for the load times to be accurate or something, before Emulators for zelda64 runs were not official because emulator load times are faster than VC. With SSB I'm pretty sure it's accurate load times but I'd check anyways if nobody has documentation on it.

Emulator depending on your adapter and monitor, and yes emulator is superior to console for smash64. If you can run GLideN64 then local emulator play > oc n64 or VC.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
If I test the vertical range with the Luigi tap jump in DL, am I testing the entire vertical range (up and down)?
Elaborate on test, what are you testing? delay? So you're trying to time your input? If that's the case I'd record my hand and the screen with a camera then go back and physically time how long it took to input after pressing the button.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Nice. You added an emu version that has been edited by smasher (he maintains that blogspot) and is known to DS a lot.
It's made by hotquik and the mexicans are the ones who came up with the modifications to the original emulator to make it work with all plugins and not crash over Vista+

Smasher is everywhere so I'm not surprised, but I do know this specific emulator is the best version and most updated copy atm, if it used to ds then that's on the website. It's worked fine for me and I've only used that site for about 5 years or so now. I have tried other copies from smashboards and they all have specific issues relating to the mexican edits that were polished in the final version which is on that site.

It's just assembly edits to make the emulator work right. The only DS comes from faulty programs like a resource editor or hex editor to change the the file. Knowing how ASM works you can just about do anything because you're logically taking apart the emulator and putting it back together properly.

Edit: smasherx is the guy who made the SSB64 music imports and custom items, before anyone knew anything about ssb64 rom hacking. So I think it's safe to say if that's his site then he's done exactly what the Mexicans did and made it better/improved upon it by not having "expectations" which is what resulted in pop up errors, and ds.

Last edited:

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
It's made by hotquik and the mexicans are the ones who came up with the modifications to the original emulator to make it work with all plugins and not crash over Vista+

Smasher is everywhere so I'm not surprised, but I do know this specific emulator is the best version and most updated copy atm, if it used to ds then that's on the website. It's worked fine for me and I've only used that site for about 5 years or so now. I have tried other copies from smashboards and they all have specific issues relating to the mexican edits that were polished in the final version which is on that site.

It's just assembly edits to make the emulator work right. The only DS comes from faulty programs like a resource editor or hex editor to change the the file. Knowing how ASM works you can just about do anything because you're logically taking apart the emulator and putting it back together properly.

Edit: smasherx is the guy who made the SSB64 music imports and custom items, before anyone knew anything about ssb64 rom hacking. So I think it's safe to say if that's his site then he's done exactly what the Mexicans did and made it better/improved upon it by not having "expectations" which is what resulted in pop up errors, and ds.
Idk, every time you insist to play me we DS after a few minutes. In fact, we DSed the very first match we played and you thought I was cuddly because you thought I was rage quiting.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Idk, every time you insist to play me we DS after a few minutes. In fact, we DSed the very first match we played and you thought I was cuddly because you thought I was rage quiting.
When have we ever played? The last thing I remember about you is feeling like you ruined my orgasm. I thought YOU were cuddlytoys 110% no doubts. Also I've played a full 18 minutes over kaillera many of times. I think you're being just a tad anecdotal.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
No, I´m talking about how much healthy/unhealthy is the range of the stick

Do this, this will show precisely how and where your analog range is at. I've done this multiple times to test my controllers analog with. In MM its even more precise at like 5% range, OOT it's 11% i think.

Edit: the video description has a tutorial.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace

Madao Madao
Nice. You added an emu version that has been edited by smasher (he maintains that blogspot) and is known to DS a lot.
when can we ban smasherx??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
When have we ever played? The last thing I remember about you is feeling like you ruined my orgasm. I thought YOU were cuddlytoys 110% no doubts. Also I've played a full 18 minutes over kaillera many of times. I think you're being just a tad anecdotal.
The 18 minutes problem has been fixed for a while now, so I don't know why you're bringing that up.
No, I´m talking about how much healthy/unhealthy is the range of the stick
Do the Yoshi hyrule stick test.

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
The 18 minutes problem has been fixed for a while now, so I don't know why you're bringing that up.

Do the Yoshi hyrule stick test.
You don't know what you're talking about. I can prove with LAN you can only get 18 minutes before ds. I've even tested this on the latest Emulinker about a year and half ago or something. Forced gav to use my laptop as I played on my desktop, just sat emulated in menu screen and in game, and of course just sitting in the menu screen and checking if it's synced every few minutes got us to 18 minutes before it ds'd just like we all known for a long time.

LAN = 18 minutes
EXC = 32 minutes
GOOD = 50 minutes

I can prove all of this, get mame and let's play battletoads. The only way you can beat the game is on GOOD because you don't got enough time before you ds with EXC let alone LAN.

Madao Madao

when can we ban smasherx??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
He's not even banned from the site, so I don't understand why he would make an alternate account to post. Why are you so consistent with your troll?

Edit: Double post, I thought the posts were merged automatically, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madao

Madao Madao

That doesn't exactly prove that he's smasherx. However, it does seem a little suspicious :surprised: .

You don't know what you're talking about. I can prove with LAN you can only get 18 minutes before ds. I've even tested this on the latest Emulinker about a year and half ago or something.
I don't remember when, but it actually did get fixed, according to others. It may have been after the last time you tested.

It's possible to actually fix the desync problem on pj64k, but I still don't see why people haven't moved on to a better emulator..

Uair

Banned via Warnings
That doesn't exactly prove that he's smasherx. However, it does seem a little suspicious :surprised: .

I don't remember when, but it actually did get fixed, according to others. It may have been after the last time you tested.

It's possible to actually fix the desync problem on pj64k, but I still don't see why people haven't moved on to a better emulator..
Can you confirm or are you going by what others said? I tested it on the current Emulinker version and it still happens. I believe what you may be referring to is the exceptions in Agent's original emulinker X version, which he fixed all his bugs he introduced which caused a lot of ds. When using emulinker x 2.x versus the original versions(emulinker X 1.0) there is an obvious difference in how often ds happens. But that doesn't mean the sync limit has been changed, as far as I know that limit is due to the way kaillera works and trying to change it would just cause other problems.

I'll test it again in the future, but I'm 100% positive the 18 min limit has not been fixed.

Mupen64++ requires you to (for everygame but smash64) have save data for the game to sync each other. The larger the save the longer it takes to load, and people with super slow computers may take a few seconds just to get the game to load after starting. Most people mistake this for a crash and I would guess that's one of the main reason why people never stuck with it.

How good is falcon's neutral game? Can he compete with pika for best neutral in the game?
Falcon is one of the easier/better characters, pikachu has much more punishment though. Falcon is mostly easier to use than pikachu because you don't have to actually space as much as you do with pikachu.

Falcon on pikachu though is a different story.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I disagree. I tried that emulator several times and never liked the feel of it. Pj64k for life!

Capos

Smash Apprentice
There isn't a standard, better version. My understanding is the current best solution is to get kaillera on the most recent version of pj64, so we need someone with both the knowledge and the desire to get that done.

Madao

Can you confirm or are you going by what others said? I tested it on the current Emulinker version and it still happens. I believe what you may be referring to is the exceptions in Agent's original emulinker X version, which he fixed all his bugs he introduced which caused a lot of ds. When using emulinker x 2.x versus the original versions(emulinker X 1.0) there is an obvious difference in how often ds happens. But that doesn't mean the sync limit has been changed, as far as I know that limit is due to the way kaillera works and trying to change it would just cause other problems.

I'll test it again in the future, but I'm 100% positive the 18 min limit has not been fixed.

Mupen64++ requires you to (for everygame but smash64) have save data for the game to sync each other. The larger the save the longer it takes to load, and people with super slow computers may take a few seconds just to get the game to load after starting. Most people mistake this for a crash and I would guess that's one of the main reason why people never stuck with it.
I'm just going by what others say, since I don't play on server. Yes, I was referring to the changes made by Agent.

Dude isn't the save file like 32kb? Unless you're on dial up, it shouldn't even take more than 2 seconds. I'd gladly wait even 10 seconds, if it means no desync + save syncing. But I don't like Mupen64++ for other reasons. The person who made it, ruined the audio.. Pj64 2.3 is a much better choice.

There isn't a standard, better version. My understanding is the current best solution is to get kaillera on the most recent version of pj64, so we need someone with both the knowledge and the desire to get that done.
To fix the frame rate issue and bsod, it literally requires just changing 1 option in a file (disable sync audio) and 1 line of code (for the bsod fix). The knowledge is available. What's lacking is the desire. Most people apparently don't mind using PJ64 1.4k. We've had options for desync-free netplay for years, yet it's still a problem today.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I'm just going by what others say, since I don't play on server. Yes, I was referring to the changes made by Agent.

Dude isn't the save file like 32kb? Unless you're on dial up, it shouldn't even take more than 2 seconds. I'd gladly wait even 10 seconds, if it means no desync + save syncing. But I don't like Mupen64++ for other reasons. The person who made it, ruined the audio.. Pj64 2.3 is a much better choice.

To fix the frame rate issue and bsod, it literally requires just changing 1 option in a file (disable sync audio) and 1 line of code (for the bsod fix). The knowledge is available. What's lacking is the desire. Most people apparently don't mind using PJ64 1.4k. We've had options for desync-free netplay for years, yet it's still a problem today.
If you've played with mupen64k/++ before you'd know about the ridiculous load times for larger save files. Mainly ones that were made using cheats from PJ64. You just have to rename the file and the save will work fine, but the load time will take several seconds.

Even if you do P2P the load time will still be there, It's not multi-threaded I guess. It's not a networking or cpu issue as much as it's a programming issue, and I was referring to really old computer builds from the 2000s, any modern piece of hardware won't have any problems with N64 emulation.

What do you mean they ruined the audio? I'm pretty sure you could change the audio but I don't remember. The only issue with Mupen is the fact saves have to be the same, but that goes for AQZ which is the best possible n64 netplay atm. Apparently isai always complained about delays playing smash with it (plugins problem), but I've never been able to confirm that. With that being said, Mupen64++ is the best optimal emulator for Smash Bros and Kaillera.

Last edited:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Mupen64++ appears to be less stable for most compared to PJ64k
The PJ64 2.2 with kaillera locks at 58fps, which is unplayable

It seems that unless Kaillera is an option, it's going to be hard to convince people to move on. I'm certain people would move on to PJ64 2.3 if someone implemented kaillera in it, lower/eliminate the chance of ds, sync via cheats only, and allowed full screen. Seems nobody knows how to or cares to do it though.

Capos

Smash Apprentice
I was referring to this post, unless this has been done?

Although it's better to just port kaillera to latest version of PJ64, since there have been a lot of improvements. By using an older version of 2.2, you really miss out.

Top Bottom