• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Madao

If you've played with mupen64k/++ before you'd know about the ridiculous load times for larger save files. Mainly ones that were made using cheats from PJ64. You just have to rename the file and the save will work fine, but the load time will take several seconds.

Even if you do P2P the load time will still be there, It's not multi-threaded I guess. It's not a networking or cpu issue as much as it's a programming issue, and I was referring to really old computer builds from the 2000s, any modern piece of hardware won't have any problems with N64 emulation.

What do you mean they ruined the audio? I'm pretty sure you could change the audio but I don't remember. The only issue with Mupen is the fact saves have to be the same, but that goes for AQZ which is the best possible n64 netplay atm. Apparently isai always complained about delays playing smash with it (plugins problem), but I've never been able to confirm that. With that being said, Mupen64++ is the best optimal emulator for Smash Bros and Kaillera.
My save files are small, so I guess that's why I never noticed this issue. I never tried server with mupen64++, only p2p.

They ruined audio, as in it has more crackling, compared to offline gameplay. If only it was open source.. I like 1964 the most, for kailera. Although it also has that audio issue.

Mupen64++ appears to be less stable for most compared to PJ64k
The PJ64 2.2 with kaillera locks at 58fps, which is unplayable

It seems that unless Kaillera is an option, it's going to be hard to convince people to move on. I'm certain people would move on to PJ64 2.3 if someone implemented kaillera in it, lower/eliminate the chance of ds, sync via cheats only, and allowed full screen. Seems nobody knows how to or cares to do it though.
Tbh I've had more crashes with PJ64 1.4k than Mupen64++.The 58fps is caused by an option called "sync audio", disabling the option should fix that problem.

2.2k already has lower chance of ds, can sync gameshark cheats (iirc), and full screen has also been fixed (iirc).

I was referring to this post, unless this has been done?
Well, PJ64's progress is going at a slower rate than anticipated. Rather than waiting, you're better off making those 2 minor changes and use 2.2k as the standard, until 2.3 is in better shape.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Tbh I've had more crashes with PJ64 1.4k than Mupen64++.
I receive a crash about 20% of the time I attempt to load a ROM, which is much more than I experience with PJ64k. Different setups will have different results. I think my crashes are from using one of the latest GLideN64 plugins, but if the emulator won't allow me to use my preferred plugin then that's just another one of the flaws. Either way, both are incredibly old and outdated.

The 58fps is caused by an option called "sync audio", disabling the option should fix that problem.
I have tried doing this already. I've spent a very long time messing around with the settings, trying to solve this issue, and absolutely nothing has worked when it comes to netplay. It may solve it for offline play, but start a game on Kaillera and it will be locked at 58fps.

and full screen has also been fixed (iirc)..
Pretty sure that wasn't ever fixed either, which is incredibly important to have for a replaceable emulator for modern windows OS'

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I receive a crash about 20% of the time I attempt to load a ROM, which is much more than I experience with PJ64k. Different setups will have different results. I think my crashes are from using one of the latest GLideN64 plugins, but if the emulator won't allow me to use my preferred plugin then that's just another one of the flaws. Either way, both are incredibly old and outdated.

I have tried doing this already. I've spent a very long time messing around with the settings, trying to solve this issue, and absolutely nothing has worked when it comes to netplay. It may solve it for offline play, but start a game on Kaillera and it will be locked at 58fps.

Pretty sure that wasn't ever fixed either, which is incredibly important to have for a replaceable emulator for modern windows OS'
There is some weird issues with certain plugins and Mupen64++, I'm supposing now that certain files are updated for OSes that there are problems with old plugins. I recently downloaded mupen64++ again, and noticed the regular Azimer 0.30 audio breaks after start screen with GLideN64, and Glide64 regular version crashes. I got it from the pj64k host site, I'm guessing the most optimal plugins are Jabo and updated azimer 0.50 which I seen half a year ago being updated.

Haven't managed to test out the gameplay, but I notice the static audio issue madoe is talking about. It's not a plugin problem etiher, it's apparently the emulator's fault. If anyone can send me a copy of Mupen64k 0.8 I'd appreciate trying it out to see if it has the same issue. Goldeneyeonline recently died so I guess the original mupen links from okaygo are gone.

Yeah it does, this is the only reason aside from the convenience that I use the pj64k google link. I remember specifically PJ64k unlike Mupen never could full screen without DS/crash. It does now, and it is the same Pj64k version implying ASM hack. (0.14, not pj64 2.2 I mean)

Edit: Sorry double post again. I really am not used to posting on smashboards this often, most forum sites automatically merge posts. I know It's against the rules but it was not intentional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madao

Ok well I'd decided to give it one more shot. Someone has to send me the link to the thread where ownasaurus posted 2.2k :) . I'll patch the 2 lines of code... And also add in the fixed audio timing improvement.
I see what you're saying now. I don't use GLideN64 so I can see why we have different experiences.
Well, all players would have to turn it off. I will turn the option off by default. When I release the improved version, try it out and let me know if there's still a problem.

You're talking about the desync from switching to full screen right? I'll see if 1964 supports it. If it does, then it should be easy to port the code over.

Haven't managed to test out the gameplay, but I notice the static audio issue madoe is talking about. It's not a plugin problem etiher, it's apparently the emulator's fault. If anyone can send me a copy of Mupen64k 0.8 I'd appreciate trying it out to see if it has the same issue. Goldeneyeonline recently died so I guess the original mupen links from okaygo are gone.
I'll try patching Mupen64++ to fix the audio issue. If I remember correctly, the issue doesn't happen offline. I get the feeling he tried to copy 1964's kailera code (in this case it was a bad idea for this part of the code because Mupen's code for audio was already in better shape).

Yeah it does, this is the only reason aside from the convenience that I use the pj64k google link. I remember specifically PJ64k unlike Mupen never could full screen without DS/crash. It does now, and it is the same Pj64k version implying ASM hack. (0.14, not pj64 2.2 I mean)
Do you know what code is needed to prevent fullscreen from causing a desync?

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I'll try patching Mupen64++ to fix the audio issue. If I remember correctly, the issue doesn't happen offline. I get the feeling he tried to copy 1964's kailera code (in this case it was a bad idea for this part of the code because Mupen's code for audio was already in better shape).

I was testing it offline, and noticed the crackling. I don't remember Mupen64k or Mupen 0.5/TAS versions having this problem either.

No, the fullscreen ds is caused by https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646337(v=vs.85).aspx
that's all I know.

Edit: The crackling happens on regular mupen64k too.

Last edited:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Ok well I'd decided to give it one more shot. Someone has to send me the link to the thread where ownasaurus posted 2.2k :) . I'll patch the 2 lines of code... And also add in the fixed audio timing improvement.
I see what you're saying now. I don't use GLideN64 so I can see why we have different experiences.
Well, all players would have to turn it off. I will turn the option off by default. When I release the improved version, try it out and let me know if there's still a problem.

You're talking about the desync from switching to full screen right? I'll see if 1964 supports it. If it does, then it should be easy to port the code over.

Sorry for quoting the whole message, I'm on mobile with a small screen and won't be at a computer until Monday.

When I had tested on Kaillera, I had hosted and started the game by myself and still received a max of 58fps. I don't think the disable audio sync effects Kaillera games at all.

And yes I'm talking about the ds that happens when you full screen on netplay. Seems that emulation on the full screener's end pauses briefly while nobody else does, causing the ds.

I'll edit my post soon with the link to Ownasaruses thread which includes the source code. However, I do recall the thread mentions the 58fps lock was put in place to avoid ds, so I'm not sure if just removing it will make the emulator playable. Either way, if it desyncs less than pj64k and still has the full screen fix, it'll already be miles better.

EDIT: http://smashboards.com/threads/new-project64k-core-2-2.415436/

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
What character in 64 is the most non-restrictive? Like, which character gives me the most tools to form my own style?
Every character has an optimal way of playing, deciding to avoid or approach is up to you. Kirby is the least restrictive character in terms of every character having short comings but kirbys is the least.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Neutral what? Kirby is the easiest and best character for most anyone to play.

There is a reason why The Great MATTS! has defeated @malva00 several times with Kirby, even in dittos.
When I say neutral, I mean the situation where neither character is at a advantage (that is, is not getting comboed). You can have optimized punishes and edgeguards and w/e, but a optimized neutral? Is there such a thing in smash 64? This doesn't continue off of my original question, but it's related, since the neutral is also where you're able to see other peoples styles and forge your own.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
When I say neutral, I mean the situation where neither character is at a advantage (that is, is not getting comboed). You can have optimized punishes and edgeguards and w/e, but a optimized neutral? Is there such a thing in smash 64? This doesn't continue off of my original question, but it's related, since the neutral is also where you're able to see other peoples styles and forge your own.
There is no set in stone perfect matchup or neutral matchup, even in dittos depending on how the player plays it could feel like a counterpick matchup to a certain player.

In other words, every matchup in of it's self is unique.

Last edited:

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Is there a way to play on a regular 64 setup with a GameCube controller? Like, I know some people play with Keyboards IRL. Has anyone made a cable/converter to do the same with a GameCube controller?

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Thanks guys. I'm glad all three of you recommend the same thing. That's always a good sign.

UnholyWeapon

Smash Apprentice
don't listen to smasherx. www.onlinessb.com should have everything you need. theres a discord chat to find games, but your best server might be GA, or you could play with west coast people, and NY is always an option but not the best frame wise for you
Thanks bro I've been playing a bit now since I got it all hooked up. Let me know if anyone wants to p2p

Kirbyrocket

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kirbyrocket
Does ANYBODY have information on where I can get the files (Rice plugin and BMGlib) stated in this thread for 64 texture editing? I've been trying to find this out for MONTHS only to lose hope and give up, and the day has come to where I really need to find this out so that I may do something for a friend as a gift.

I hope someone can help me here. Thank you!
Bless,
-Sydney "Kirbyrocket" Henry

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Does ANYBODY have information on where I can get the files (Rice plugin and BMGlib) stated in this thread for 64 texture editing? I've been trying to find this out for MONTHS only to lose hope and give up, and the day has come to where I really need to find this out so that I may do something for a friend as a gift.

I hope someone can help me here. Thank you!
Bless,
-Sydney "Kirbyrocket" Henry
The most updated version of Rice video plugins texture dumping/loading method is GLideN64(emucr.com or pj64k.blogspot.com) but you can also use old Glide64 finale version (http://www.emutalk.net/threads/54874-Glide64-Final). If you have a really bad PC and it can't run Glide64 in full fps then use the latest original Rice Video Plugin (http://www.emulation64.com/files/getdownload/11/)

Although both texture dumping methods do not completely dump textures (in order to do that you need to extend the rom and look with Tool64 or whatever its called and locate the best texture addresses containing most texture information), Glide64 is the best and most updated rice texture dumping method, so If you can use either version of that GLideN64 is for mid range gaming rigs, Glide64 may run on very old builds and bad apu laptops.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
@KnitePhox Cobre destroyed smash fu by banning everyone. I only see maybe 5 or 6 people at most on now in days. MATTS! is gone, so is all the lively players.

carsoNNN

Smash Rookie
So I recently bought a USB n64 controller off of Amazon with the intent to play SSB64 online. The controller works fine, except I can't seem to get into tilt position. Every time I try to up tilt, I jump, and every time I try to walk, I dash. Is this simply a controller configuration issue, or is this just a bad controller? I have tried to re calibrate and mess around with the deadzone ect. I'm pretty bad with all the technical stuff, but this still seems like a weird issue.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
So I recently bought a USB n64 controller off of Amazon with the intent to play SSB64 online. The controller works fine, except I can't seem to get into tilt position. Every time I try to up tilt, I jump, and every time I try to walk, I dash. Is this simply a controller configuration issue, or is this just a bad controller? I have tried to re calibrate and mess around with the deadzone ect. I'm pretty bad with all the technical stuff, but this still seems like a weird issue.
That's your deadzone, 100% Deadzone means you have to smash the controller all the way up to move, 0% deadzone means even the slightest touch will send you flying.

carsoNNN

Smash Rookie
That's your deadzone, 100% Deadzone means you have to smash the controller all the way up to move, 0% deadzone means even the slightest touch will send you flying.
I tried messing with the deadzone, but I got the same results. I'm starting to think this joystick has as many inputs as the D-pad would, and none of what I think is called 'z rotation' (?)

Uair

Banned via Warnings
N-Rage Input Plugin V2 as it seems.
Turn your threshhold up to 80% or lower it to 40%

If neither of those works, then have you configured your actual controller through windows?

Last edited:

carsoNNN

Smash Rookie
Turn your threshhold up to 80% or lower it to 40%

If neither of those works, then have you configured your actual controller through windows?
Where is 'threshold' on this plugin? I can't find it. Yes, I have configured my controller multiple times.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I'm not into competitive ssb64 myself but like watching it on youtube. Why is dreamland the standard or only stage?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxd-2FxFQ75qKmzBnSd7DtqujI1oh4KCQ
Everyone but North America used hyrule as the standard for years, then other countries like Japan and Chile made Dreamland their standard.

The reason why is because of map hazards, and we want a more level/equal playing field. Ironically they bumped ness down the tier list after they switched to dreamland which he is even better on. Then they bumped link up, who DL counterpicks him.

The smash64 community is full of poorly constructed opinions, I've ranted about this several times. I've also proved evidence to support my claims, while the rest of the community just makes changes and agrees on it with little to no basis as to why, besides of course majority of peoples opinions overlapping on certain issues.

Edit: Also, Peach Castle, Congo, DL, Hyrule, and Saffron are all legal stages, or they should still be. Saffron is a counter pick, same with peach castle. Congo is pretty even, and Hyrule is just easy to exploit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom