• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

mixa

Banned via Warnings
also i have a question. Can yoshi di while recovering with his super armor. like against pika's fair for instance?
No for fair*, but yes for attacks that break the armor, and Yoshis need to start doing that. If you as Yoshi are recovering, and say Falcon is just waiting there near the ledge to f-smash the Yoshi, you can prepare some up and up-towards DI when you get hit. That way you have better chances of grabbing the ledge after the hitstun is over. Just search some Sheermadness vs Falcon and you'll see what I'm talking about.

edit: if the armor doesn't break, Yoshi can't DI. Only when the armor breaks and Yoshi is then in hitlag. Pika's fair doesn't break the armor, so no for that attack. (so many edits; sorry for any confusion)

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
No for fair*, but yes for attacks that break the armor, and Yoshis need to start doing that. If you as Yoshi are recovering, and say Falcon is just waiting there near the ledge to f-smash the Yoshi, you can prepare some up and up-towards DI when you get hit. That way you have better chances of grabbing the ledge after the hitstun is over. Just search some Sheermadness vs Falcon and you'll see what I'm talking about.

edit: if the armor doesn't break, Yoshi can't DI. Only when the armor breaks and Yoshi is then in hitlag. Pika's fair doesn't break the armor, so no for that attack. (so many edits; sorry for any confusion)
thanks you cleared that up for me. so pika's fair can never break his armor even at high %. basically i was wondering if it would be possible to edgegaurd a yoshi with sh pika fair -->utilt--> bair, but if like 6 hits of fair followed by an utilt cant break the armor then that wouldnt work

mixa

Banned via Warnings
i was wondering if it would be possible to edgegaurd a yoshi with sh pika fair -->utilt--> bair, but if like 6 hits of fair followed by an utilt cant break the armor then that wouldnt work
I think it depends on where you're coming from with this idea.
To break Yoshi's armor you must do it with one single attack. Your chain of attacks (6 hits of late fair → u-tilt) is only as strong as your strongest attack (u-tilt, in that case), and since u-tilt will only break the armor when Yoshi is at around 120%, then it won't work unless the Yoshi messes up and is caught by the fair multi-hits.

I found the video I had made to exemplify the DI Yoshis should do. There are three clips, the first two clips feature Sheer :yoshi64: trying to recover against Banze :pikachu64:, and the third clip is a reenactment on training mode where reasonable DI is applied. https://mediacru.sh/eRWGgG2i6Wx-

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I lost my n64 to usb adapter: :urg:

Looking for a new one, is this any good?

If not, recommend others. Cheers
your best choices are: adaptoid(not available) and retroport(unavailabe currently).

next best choices DELAY wise are: mayflash and n64/psx(won't work with certain official controllers)

and raphnet I guess. Raphnet works good, it's just that the delay is killer.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
your best choices are: adaptoid(not available) and retroport(unavailabe currently).

next best choices DELAY wise are: mayflash and n64/psx(won't work with certain official controllers)

wait theres delay for the raphnet? i thought that was the best one for some reason

T Brett

Smash Journeyman

I emailed the Retroport guy, hopefully he makes more.

This website says Adaptoid "sold the rights to ZTNet who has done two production runs of the Adaptoid, sold both out within a few days, and has yet to produce more". So I looked at ZTNetstore.com and found it has two N64 products, one being the mayflash you talked about, and this other one.

The one I lost seems to be the n64/psx one you mentioned, and I cannot find another available for purchase.

So I think I'll buy a mayflash because it's cheap. As well as test out the second one I linked, unless anyone can identify why that one is a worse option

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
I keep trying to play p2p with a friend but we can never connect. My ISP isn't too bad and my internet usually runs fine. Also, I can't ever connect to any of the client servers... why? Am I missing something or do I just need to re-install everything?

Madao

I keep trying to play p2p with a friend but we can never connect. My ISP isn't too bad and my internet usually runs fine. Also, I can't ever connect to any of the client servers... why? Am I missing something or do I just need to re-install everything?
You need ports to be open. Or you can try something like hamachi I think.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Hey duders, so my hori pad is doing this thing where I'll press right on the stick and it just won't go right. It doesn't happen every time though like, if I go to the character select screen. Then I like dashdance with hand sometimes the hand will just stop when I press right. My question is if anyone knows a way to fix this? Thanks.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Hey duders, so my hori pad is doing this thing where I'll press right on the stick and it just won't go right. It doesn't happen every time though like, if I go to the character select screen. Then I like dashdance with hand sometimes the hand will just stop when I press right. My question is if anyone knows a way to fix this? Thanks.
have you tried turning it off and on again

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I think it depends on where you're coming from with this idea.
To break Yoshi's armor you must do it with one single attack. Your chain of attacks (6 hits of late fair → u-tilt) is only as strong as your strongest attack (u-tilt, in that case), and since u-tilt will only break the armor when Yoshi is at around 120%, then it won't work unless the Yoshi messes up and is caught by the fair multi-hits.

I found the video I had made to exemplify the DI Yoshis should do. There are three clips, the first two clips feature Sheer :yoshi64: trying to recover against Banze :pikachu64:, and the third clip is a reenactment on training mode where reasonable DI is applied. https://mediacru.sh/eRWGgG2i6Wx-
actually found this by accident just now. look at the :54 second mark. idk if he broke armor or if the yoshi used an aerial maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCn52sGf_3k&list=PLRrv2aqFJMCxoQcJ6Ks5z39TBjR0Cts-Y&index=5

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
actually found this by accident just now. look at the :54 second mark. idk if he broke armor or if the yoshi used an aerial maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCn52sGf_3k&list=PLRrv2aqFJMCxoQcJ6Ks5z39TBjR0Cts-Y&index=5
cobr is correct.

I think the only way that would work - and I omitted this in my last post because of the unlikelihood - is if Pika timed the fair in such a way that there was very little time between the fair and the u-tilt (like in your example), and at the same time have the u-tilt timing coincide with the end of Yoshi's super armor.

MEnKIRBZ

Smash Journeyman
what things do I need to download currently to be able to play online smash 64 with others?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
my bad. I meant how harder. how much more does it go up
or did you draw that conclusion from trying that thing in both versions

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
DK's up b immediately off of side platform (without jumping, buffered up on keyboard) just barely lands on top platform in J, like short hopping onto side. In U he goes like, at least the thickness of a side platform above the top platform

which probably extends the frame window like from 4-6 frames to 6-12 frames, so its like 100% easier

Last edited:

BananaBolts

So, I've noticed that most (if not every) character has two get-up attacks. I've been testing but I can't figure out what determines which of the two attacks is used. Does anyone know how to get the attack that you want or is it random?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
So, I've noticed that most (if not every) character has two get-up attacks. I've been testing but I can't figure out what determines which of the two attacks is used. Does anyone know how to get the attack that you want or is it random?
If a character falls facing down, the get-up atk will be the face down one; if a character falls facing up, the get-up atk will be the face up one. For details -- the hitboxes are not intuitive sometimes -- check frame display.

edit: http://framedisplay.supersmashbros64.com/fd/purin/getup-a-u/o.mp4 - Sakurai double checked that.

Last edited:

BananaBolts

If a character falls facing down, the get-up atk will be the face down one; if a character falls facing up, the get-up atk will be the face up one. For details -- the hitboxes are not intuitive sometimes -- check frame display.
Ahh, thanks. I didn't think about that.

mother_brain

Smash Rookie
Just some tier list explanations while I try to pick a main: In the highest level of play, what exactly makes Luigi so bad? What about Jigglypuff?

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Just some tier list explanations while I try to pick a main: In the highest level of play, what exactly makes Luigi so bad? What about Jigglypuff?
Luigi isn't bad at all, I destroy almost the entire roster with him, his moves are amazing, his recover is also amazing (if you get knocked far in dream land, live, and have all your jumps, you're gonna make it back) up b is just amazing, Yoshi and Ness's nightmare, falcon gets edge guarded easy with gimmicks, fox wishes he had a better up B, jiggs dies so fast with luigi, he's very good and I got a lot of wins with him, more than my samus, just under my falcon
Edit: moves* not love lol
I hate auto correct on mobile, NESS* not f***ing jess

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
luigi is really hard to approach with. really slow air mobility and run speed. all characters are viable in high level play tho so pick whoever you like the most

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
tier list
more like TEAR list
because choosing your main based on it makes me sad
: /
When I first started competitive smash I vowed to never main pikachu or Kirby, even tho I love pikachu lol
Love pikachu as in the character not how good he may be

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Not choosing a character because he is toptier is as dumb as picking a character because he is toptier. Actually it's even dumber. Don't let the tierlist decide who you play.

Sedda

Smash Champion
yeah like marbles said, luigi is really slow in the air. his attacks are slow and they stay out for a good while, so you have like a million years to punish. you can just bait aerials from luigi players and then go in no problem. his short hop is also really high, so he stay in the air for longer.

fun character tho

Top Bottom