• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As Smash Wii U Updates, So Does The Evo Ruleset

GaMeR N1CK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3582-8458-4207
I hae to agree, we need some Lucas exhibition. Besides, we only need to figure out the A moves, since we're already learing his B moves, thanks to Ness's customs.
down throw gets people stuck in the ground

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Will Lucas be legal if his Custom Moves are already unlocked? Also (sorry for that), when is EVO? If his launch was around Early-Mid June, maybe there would be more time.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's my personal hope that Lucas not being usable at Evo will push Lucas's release more quickly, with more resources at Nintendo being spent for his development.
You're hoping that Nintendo will rush a character that thousands of people have been asking for, for a tournament that doesn't affect them in any way?

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
*Sakurai said he doesn't plan on more DLC
*Sakurai said he doesn't plan on more balance patches
I'm pretty sure what Sakurai actually meant was, "I don't *promise* more DLC or balance patches." That way it can be extra hype when there is, and no one can hold it against him if there isn't."

Anyway, Lucas. Meta impact aside, I don't think a month is long enough to get all the logistics taken care of, nor is it long enough for Lucas' own meta to reach the same heights as the others, so even if he was legal, he likely wouldn't do well at Evo anyway. Shame, but the bright side is, we *get* Lucas. There's always SmashCon.

Last edited:

Jaycen_Thunda

Smash Rookie
Alright that's cool, 2 new characters and a balance Patch.

Is there any details about the new patch? Like a release date?

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
The people at EVO do know that Lucas might play just like he did in Brawl, right? If he does, and the EVO people DO see that, they ought to allow Brawl Lucas mains or any pro pick him up and use him.
Yeah that sounds really fair man. Really gives the people who don't play Lucas a fair chance against him. Really does.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
His reveal trailer already showcased new features, like his d-throw burying opponents.
down throw gets people stuck in the ground
Both of you are incorrect. It's literally his Brawl d-throw animation. They've just added a dirt mound for cosmetic effect.

It's almost like you've never played the character before.

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Even if Lucas had the exact same hitboxes and the exact same frame date, he could still feel and play radically different. How he interacts with the new engine could very well change him. For example how will the changes to airdodges and the ledge affect him?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Hm... I wonder which characters are going to be balanced in the patch... Sakurai said he was done tweaking characters so this has really got me interested.

I'd really love to see Ike get a nice buff in attack speed. Faster attacks would definitely bump him up a couple tiers. And Charizard because... he needs it.

I'm not entirely sure who needs a significant nerf though.

Last edited:

KLUTZNCUTZ

Smash Rookie
Hm... I wonder which characters are going to be balanced in the patch... Sakurai said he was done tweaking characters so this has really got me interested.

I'd really love to see Ike get a nice buff in attack speed. Faster attacks would definitely bump him up a couple tiers.

I'm not entirely sure who needs a significant nerf though.
Greninja.
JK

miracleJester

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1547-5445-7442
Why are so many people talking about the meta being the reason Lucas is not legal? That shouldn't even matter

Lucas should not be legal in this EVO simply because of logistics. Getting him and his customs on all consoles in such a short time is way too much

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Fair enough, but Lucas should be legal, he is similar enough to his brawl moveset, plus it be great publicity
It's not good for the bigger picture of the tournament dude. The fact is me, you and no one else other than the development team knows how he will play, same moves or not. Smash hardly needs any extra publicity and if anything, Lucas will not be that extreme jolt, although his inclusion is certainly a delight to many and the franchise as a whole. Just throwing him in there when people simply don't know the MU is not fair game. Mewtwo on the other hand is being released with ample time to discover said MU and strategies.

Why are so many people talking about the meta being the reason Lucas is not legal? That shouldn't even matter

Lucas should not be legal in this EVO simply because of logistics. Getting him and his customs on all consoles in such a short time is way too much
This too.

Last edited:

Ramin Flage

Smash Rookie
Lucas is planned to be released in June. Lucas might be released after the tournament.

every1

Banned via Administration
MBT shoes are Rui Shima Serb Barefoot Technology, Inc. (Masai Barefoot Technology)

developed and marketed in 1996 a functional shoes. The shoe soles similar ship of the arc ,

so that the person wearing produce a natural feeling of instability in the process of

standing and walking , to stimulate the body's own balance adjustment mechanism to mobilize

the muscles and bones to participate balance adjustment to go, so as to achieve the role of

exercise the body's muscles , spine , joints and so on.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Why are people even whining about this? This community needs to get it together
you must be a bit new to the crowd... one faction prefers things the way they were, another [minor one] is open minded of whichever, and then there's the opposition to the first who move on and not go back. the worst of the first and third factions of this fanbase have been at it for years... we as a "community" love Super Smash Bros, but anything deeper than that is one debate after another...

meanwhile, the concept of DLC customs is curious. Even considering the update patch, the game wouldn't likely pick DLC fighters custom moves at random without some complex coding that says such fighter is even there. Wouldn't it stand to reason that since they're DLC, you'd get all custom specials along with them?

Last edited:

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
Seems reasonable.
I'm hoping MKX's final DLC character gets the same treatment, a month before is too soon tournament, in my opinion.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Fair enough. It's not like he won't be made legal at Evo '16.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
We could do a Lucas exclusive tournament, where Claus and Lucas fight off every game to see exactly what can be done when smashers don't have experience with a character.

Fancy

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyChicken
While I don't exactly agree with the reasoning behind the Lucas ban, there isn't much I can do about it. I'm still excited for EVO either way.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
I hope people are ready to have customs banned when mewtwo and lucas don't come with customs.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Both of you are incorrect. It's literally his Brawl d-throw animation. They've just added a dirt mound for cosmetic effect.

It's almost like you've never played the character before.
When did I say anything about a different animation? All I said was it buries opponents now.

Have you not noticed that ZSS' Flip Jump has the same animation, but it also can bury opponents now? Same concept applies.

Last edited:

X1Type1

Smash Cadet
NNID
Delver83
Alright that's cool, 2 new characters and a balance Patch.

Is there any details about the new patch? Like a release date?
April 15th. If they have been observant they most likely are going to nerf Diddy's Hoo Hah in some way I'd assume and buff some of the lower tiers I guess. Not a fan of the idea of another patch though. Having to switch my main from Greninja to Diddy was hard enough reguardless of what other think at a high level this game is hard as hell no matter what character you are playing.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I'm super-excited for the balance patch. It's always interessting to see which characters gets buffed, nerfed or changed in different ways, which could change everything. I remember the last patch, and how hyped and interessted everybody was as they explored all characters and kept reporting back to the boards. And of course, Mewtwo is hype as heck. Can't wait for him.

Fun thing: Sakurai said there wouldn't be DLC. Now we're getting Mewtwo, Lucas AND a fan-voted one. Sakurai said there wouldn't be more balance patches. Releases new ones anyway. This is why I love you, good ol' Sakurai :)
Sakurai is just trying to troll us all.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
When did I say anything about a different animation? All I said was it buries opponents now.

Have you not noticed that ZSS' Flip Jump has the same animation, but it also can bury opponents now? Same concept applies.
You seriously don't understand. Flip jump can literally bury opponents now, as in the victim is put into the bury state of not being able to do anything until they mash out.
Lucas down throw doesn't bury. The opponent hit does the same animation as in Brawl, but with a dirt mound around them. Lucas literally cannot act until they pop out because it's all part of the same goddamn animation.

Literally the only new features we see from the trailer are his longer rope snake, larger psi magnet, and his n-air having a visually different ending animation to accompany the way the hitbox works.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It's not good for the bigger picture of the tournament dude. The fact is me, you and no one else other than the development team knows how he will play, same moves or not. Smash hardly needs any extra publicity and if anything, Lucas will not be that extreme jolt, although his inclusion is certainly a delight to many and the franchise as a whole. Just throwing him in there when people simply don't know the MU is not fair game. Mewtwo on the other hand is being released with ample time to discover said MU and strategies.

This too.
No offense but you didn't read my last post:
quote="RAzul, post: 18891325, member: 266660"]It's not good for the bigger picture of the tournament dude. The fact is me, you and no one else other than the development team knows how he will play, same moves or not. Smash hardly needs any extra publicity and if anything, Lucas will not be that extreme jolt, although his inclusion is certainly a delight to many and the franchise as a whole. Just throwing him in there when people simply don't know the MU is not fair game. Mewtwo on the other hand is being released with ample time to discover said MU and strategies.

This too.[/quote]
No offense but you did not read my other post:

I get your point, but they don't have to master them, hell lucas doesn't even need to be played. I say leave him there, probably no one will touch him unless feeling risky. I feel he wonlt be available untill a few days before hand, meaning he couldn't be mastered right away or need to be really. In fact another thing to think about:

If he comes with a balance patch, way legalize that? Leaving fans no knowledge on potential drastic changes to those they play? That doesn't seem fair.

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
I'm super-excited for the balance patch. It's always interessting to see which characters gets buffed, nerfed or changed in different ways, which could change everything. I remember the last patch, and how hyped and interessted everybody was as they explored all characters and kept reporting back to the boards. And of course, Mewtwo is hype as heck. Can't wait for him.

Fun thing: Sakurai said there wouldn't be DLC. Now we're getting Mewtwo, Lucas AND a fan-voted one. Sakurai said there wouldn't be more balance patches. Releases new ones anyway. This is why I love you, good ol' Sakurai :)
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Sakurai's idea to add more DLC or balance patches. From what I got from the Nintendo Direct, Iwata had a long, serious talk with him.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
Lucas makes sense to not be legal, he won't be explored enough.

In terms of mewtwo, I wonder if someif his customs will be auto-banned if it takes too long to get them.
If you grind you can get every custom move within a few days to a week, it will be easy to get one character's set.

ghaudephaede010

Smash Journeyman
Lucas should be legal. I cannot see any reason he should not be allowed. I mean, if you think learning to fight against him would be difficult, how about the people trying to learn to use him in two weeks at a tournament winning level.

Advantage; Non Lucas players. Let him be legal.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Too early for Lucas, League of Legends does something simular where the last 3 majorly changed or released champions aren't legal at worlds.

Makes sense to me.
As does Killer instinct with newcomers in Seasons.

also it's not just because of matchup unfamiliarity that is a factor, but also if an unknown exploit with his customs pop up( a la the Oli/Fox exploit, Counter Timber) then it would be before a ruling can be made against it.

Top Bottom