• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Articuno Confirmed For Brawl" Saturday July 12 Appleton, WI

Eci4

Smash Ace
lone, don't worry so much about people complaining about it not being melee. they aren't gaining anything from it, and you get free bumps for your thread. I don't think anyone who likes brawl will be turned away by complaints, so there's nothing to worry about.

Glad to see someone hosting something decent sized close to MN. I'm looking forward to it.

Chexr

Smash Ace
Kansas had a tourney where about 80 people came and they were all scrubs (think Zicore or BigC in brawl olololo) other than darkrain.

We need that kind of attendance.

BIG C

Smash Master
Kansas had a tourney where about 80 people came and they were all scrubs (think Zicore or BigC in brawl olololo) other than darkrain.

rofl u know thats why me and tink won that young brawl teams tourny no one thought we would when we were goin through pools.

i'm not a scrub at brawl i just dislike the game in general. like singles is the STUPIDEST tourny game i've ever seen. teams is ok thus why i only play it. I'm sorry that I don't want to play a 6-7 min match that consists of people jumping in to double jump away and waiting for an opening and I'm sorry that I dun feel like timing and throwing grenades for 6 min. no thank you sir. and ftr if we come to this i might just not enter and complain about how bad brawl is just for lone.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
rofl u know thats why me and tink won that young brawl teams tourny no one thought we would when we were goin through pools.

i'm not a scrub at brawl i just dislike the game in general. like singles is the STUPIDEST tourny game i've ever seen. teams is ok thus why i only play it. I'm sorry that I don't want to play a 6-7 min match that consists of people jumping in to double jump away and waiting for an opening and I'm sorry that I dun feel like timing and throwing grenades for 6 min. no thank you sir. and ftr if we come to this i might just not enter and complain about how bad brawl is just for lone.
Lol, sounds like some major johns to me.

BIG C

Smash Master
rofl i mean it might be johnz but it's what happens. when like me and tink play friendlies and they last 5 mins cuz we live forever, not because we camp i could only imagine the **** that goes down in tournies.

Zicore

Smash Champion
I never said that I hate brawl. I don't like tourney brawl. I am with Big C. I play friendlies. I enjoy that. I am just not for tourney brawl. I prefer melee.

And lone, you take **** so seriously. We are just stating our opinion. It is an open forum, and we are allowed to do that. I prefer melee over brawl. Cry about it. I am not getting all whiny that there are no melee tournies. I am happy playing friendlies at Cosmos house.

But don't tell us to stop voicing our opinion. You can run your tourney the way you want, and none of us are forcing you to change it. We might say we want melee, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I am going reguardless. But you just need to take a chill pill man.

And chexr, who cares if I am bad at the game? I don't. Obviously I wouldn't mind being better, but I don't go for money like you do.

Chexr

Smash Ace
I didnt go for money the past 5 years when I lost almost every single tourney. I went because I liked melee and I go to brawl tourneys because I like brawl. When people start ragging on it and saying its a bad game it really does feel personal to me. I really wish they would just shut up its really ****ing annoying.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
So out of all these "scrubs" at Brawl tournaments, how many of them have actually joined the community so far?
Not many do, because alot ofpeople aren't getting it out there. I haven't been to any brawl tournies as oflate, but what is going to make them join if everyone at the tourney is complaining about the game? There are going to say to themselves "Hey, these guys have been playing smash for a long time, if they think it sucks, then it sucks." So you might just be voicing your opinion, but you're not helping the community at the same time.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
I went because I liked melee and I go to brawl tourneys because I like brawl.
i dunno sounds like you're goin for the $$$ when you post stuff like this

you want 80 scrubs to join? outside of "easy money", i can't see why.

i'm going to this tourney for 2 reasons. 1 for the money. and 2 because mundungu is bringing a melee setup

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
i dunno sounds like you're goin for the $$$ when you post stuff like this

you want 80 scrubs to join? outside of "easy money", i can't see why.
I can, because most of us started out like scrubs. Cosmo, you started out like a scrub. These people have potential but you have to let them know about the competative tourney scene. Tell them about smashboards. This is why we melee tournies aren't helping. I love melee. Melee>Brawl. Im not arguing that. But how are we supposed to get these scrubs to get better if we as a community are playing an outdated game?

Also, thought I'dshow this vid.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KY6XdYpZkUM

Some guy discovered this. Obviously it's not like WD'ing in brawl, but it def resembles it. He's got a thread about it in Brawl Tactical, and he says you can smash out of it.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Soliciting a game to a certain audience for no other reason than because its newer will result in nothing but what we've been seeing -- a purely casual turnout. Brawl is good fun but it seems to have little tournament clout. You're saying the game sucks, but we should play it because it's new. So what? If the community develops (degenerates) into nothing but 'scrubs' that show up en masse to get their money taken by reluctant veterans, then I don't want any part of it. There's only been 3 Wisconsin tourneys so far though so I'm gonna give it a chance. In the meantime though, the "bad new > good old" logic is already getting tired. Let's see what comes out of this.

PS I just turned in the contract to La Quinta about half an hour ago. The room is quite spacious; hopefully this will alleviate any CC6-induced apprehension over the venue:

I couldn't get a good angle because my phone was all I had for a camera, but the screen you see on the left is the very middle of the room.
Windows = fresh air :lick:

Zicore

Smash Champion
lone, who cares is Brawl is newer? That doesn't mean that we should play it. Thats like saying nobody should play the SNES cause the Wii is newer. The snes was a great system, and I wish I could play one every day. Just cause its newer doesn't mean its better.

And why do you want all these scrubs to come to your tourney? Just cause they come to this one doesn't mean that they will come to every single tourney. If I am not mistaken, HJ4 had what...100 people? How many of them became new members of the WI smash scene? Maybe 2? I can only think of earl from that tourney that is now a person who goes to tournies.

If I am not mistaken lone, I already hosted a tourney this year. At a central location, easy drive, and it had as many as many people attend as cc6 had. But do you know how many new faces I saw? Maybe 6? And did you know that there were as many MN people as there were WI? How sad is that? Just because there are tournies doesn't mean ****. If people don't want to play brawl, then they aren't going to play brawl. I have been to 3 brawl tournies as well, and I also have given it a chance. That melee tourney this past weekend was one of the best weekends I have ever had playing smash. Yeah, you can say that I suck and all this ****, but I still had fun, even if I lost.

Chexr, you obviously go for the money. You always had an opportunity to win money at melee, and now you have a bigger chance at brawl. Why did you go to the Kansas tourney? Don't say to meet new people, because you just insulted them with your "scrubs like Zicore and Big C LOLOLOLOL" post.

You can host brawl tournies all you want, lone. But don't expect people to just roll over and let melee die just cause its old. Thats like trying to have Street Fighter 2 roll over and die cause its old. People who love melee will always love melee. I also don't understand where you think people are complaining about brawl. Even big C says he likes brawl. But not for tournies. And thats understandable. Thats everyones opinion. Criticizing them over it is not gonna help them "come over to the brawl side". That would just piss them off more.

You can do what you will, its your tourney. But don't expect people to be quiet about it just cause you said so.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
lone, who cares is Brawl is newer? That doesn't mean that we should play it. Thats like saying nobody should play the SNES cause the Wii is newer. The snes was a great system, and I wish I could play one every day. Just cause its newer doesn't mean its better.

And why do you want all these scrubs to come to your tourney? Just cause they come to this one doesn't mean that they will come to every single tourney. If I am not mistaken, HJ4 had what...100 people? How many of them became new members of the WI smash scene? Maybe 2? I can only think of earl from that tourney that is now a person who goes to tournies.

If I am not mistaken lone, I already hosted a tourney this year. At a central location, easy drive, and it had as many as many people attend as cc6 had. But do you know how many new faces I saw? Maybe 6? And did you know that there were as many MN people as there were WI? How sad is that? Just because there are tournies doesn't mean ****. If people don't want to play brawl, then they aren't going to play brawl. I have been to 3 brawl tournies as well, and I also have given it a chance. That melee tourney this past weekend was one of the best weekends I have ever had playing smash. Yeah, you can say that I suck and all this ****, but I still had fun, even if I lost.

Chexr, you obviously go for the money. You always had an opportunity to win money at melee, and now you have a bigger chance at brawl. Why did you go to the Kansas tourney? Don't say to meet new people, because you just insulted them with your "scrubs like Zicore and Big C LOLOLOLOL" post.

You can host brawl tournies all you want, lone. But don't expect people to just roll over and let melee die just cause its old. Thats like trying to have Street Fighter 2 roll over and die cause its old. People who love melee will always love melee. I also don't understand where you think people are complaining about brawl. Even big C says he likes brawl. But not for tournies. And thats understandable. Thats everyones opinion. Criticizing them over it is not gonna help them "come over to the brawl side". That would just piss them off more.

You can do what you will, its your tourney. But don't expect people to be quiet about it just cause you said so.
Dude, did you advertise your tourney at all? No, only on smashboards. I have alot offriends who are coming, and who want to attend tournies because they thought they were good, and I beat them. Then they discovered that there was more to this game. . Spikes and I are also going to advertise this as much as possible to get people to come. And I never said brawl sucks recently. When I first started playing, I thought it did, but as time went on, I'm began to like it. New things are being discovered all the time, alot of the techniques are more character based than general things.

Brawl and Melee are two seperate games. Just because Brawl is drastically different than melee doesn't mean it's going to be bad. I'm fine with you complaining about brawl, but if you want to do that, why don't you go to thre Brawl complaints thread in the brawl room instead of here.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
Let me put it in simple terms for you guys...

whether 80 scrubs come or not, money is money. News of 80 scrubs coming to a tournament will attract a lot of midwest attention. This will bring not only the 80 scrubs, but the 30-40+ midwest players that thrive on competition and also think they can have a piece of the cash, teams or singles.

More attendance is good for everyone except maybe the host who has to work harder. It's more fun, more matches, more games, more competition, more experience.

I SAY HURRAY FOR THY SCRUB!

Zicore

Smash Champion
Dude, did you advertise your tourney at all? No, only on smashboards. I have alot offriends who are coming, and who want to attend tournies because they thought they were good, and I beat them. Then they discovered that there was more to this game. . Spikes and I are also going to advertise this as much as possible to get people to come. And I never said brawl sucks recently. When I first started playing, I thought it did, but as time went on, I'm began to like it. New things are being discovered all the time, alot of the techniques are more character based than general things.

Brawl and Melee are two seperate games. Just because Brawl is drastically different than melee doesn't mean it's going to be bad. I'm fine with you complaining about brawl, but if you want to do that, why don't you go to thre Brawl complaints thread in the brawl room instead of here.
Umm...I did advertise the hell out of my tourney. So did the other co-hosts. I got bawls to sponsor it along with game crazy. I put up flyers in gamecrazy, and the other co-hosts advertised the hell out of it at the school. They said that there was gonna be about 40 locals. Only about 6 or so showed up.

I don't care if there are scrubs or not. The more, the better. You have a chance to meet new people, and make new friends. Look at cosmo and myself. We were huge huge scrubs compared to EoF and Oaf waaaayyyy back in the day. We went to a tourney in Marshfield. I can't tell you how many times I have gone there since then. And ever since that tourney, we have gone to every tourney we can. I am not saying scrubs are bad for tourney's. I am saying if you expect them ALL to come to LOADS of tourney's(which you are under the impression that they will, don't deny it), then you are clearly wrong. Not many people can handle going to so many tourney's. Yourself included. You keep trying to explain all these things to us, which I find kinda funny, considering you have been to how many brawl tourney's? The mid-night release at gamestop?

Also, for the last fricken time, I am not saying brawl is bad. BRAWL IS GOOD! I ENJOY PLAYING BRAWL!But I do not enjoy playing it for tourney's. I enjoy melee over that. I know its not melee 2.0. I understood that the moment I picked it up at that gamestop midnight tourney thing. I gave it a chance. I played the hell out of it the first month. Myself and Izak played about 12 hours the first night we got it. I then went to DUMB. Then I hosted mine. And recently I went to the Kenosha one. I had fun at all of them, but I enjoyed melee WAAAAAAYYYY more.

Again, I am not telling you how to run your tourney. I ran it the way I wanted to run it (other then the price of teams, but that wasn't my call), and I hope you do the same.

Chexr

Smash Ace
We had around 40 people a beezo today which I think is more than any melee tourney in the history of minnesota smash. Other regions are booming compared to the midwest there's no reason to believe attendance wont pick up here as well if people stick with it.

The only reason I added that last part was because you two always seem to be complaining about something and I was all pssh whatever I will moderately make fun of you. Great idea by me huh.

The Dan 2 was the first tournament I had won in about 3 or 4 years so I don't know how you can say I'm in it just for the money. You know I did take a year break from all tourneys during around FC6 which I didnt go to because I got bored of melee. I'm sick of seeing fox, falco, marth, shiek match ups. Im sick of playing Aarons falco and getting lazered to death every fight. Im sick of getting up smashed at 65% with jigglypuff from fox and dying. Im sick of Hayate saying just up air lolll and it being true. Im sick of not being able to stop getting 0 to deathed. Its not fun anymore melee is so stale, every tourney was the exact same back then. I played melee competitively for 5 years. I don't have any idea when you came to the scene but it was really getting old.

I really don't care that you think brawl is a bad game which it's pretty obvious you do despite what you say now but just please stop drilling it into my head every single topic. I dont really care. I just want to play brawl in peace with other people who want to.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
We had around 40 people a beezo today which I think is more than any melee tourney in the history of minnesota smash. Other regions are booming compared to the midwest there's no reason to believe attendance wont pick up here as well if people stick with it.

The only reason I added that last part was because you two always seem to be complaining about something and I was all pssh whatever I will moderately make fun of you. Great idea by me huh.

The Dan 2 was the first tournament I had won in about 3 or 4 years so I don't know how you can say I'm in it just for the money. You know I did take a year break from all tourneys during around FC6 which I didnt go to because I got bored of melee. I'm sick of seeing fox, falco, marth, shiek match ups. Im sick of playing Aarons falco and getting lazered to death every fight. Im sick of getting up smashed at 65% with jigglypuff from fox and dying. Im sick of Hayate saying just up air lolll and it being true. Im sick of not being able to stop getting 0 to deathed. Its not fun anymore melee is so stale, every tourney was the exact same back then. I played melee competitively for 5 years. I don't have any idea when you came to the scene but it was really getting old.

I really don't care that you think brawl is a bad game which it's pretty obvious you do despite what you say now but just please stop drilling it into my head every single topic. I dont really care. I just want to play brawl in peace with other people who want to.
I think you meant to quote zicore, not me.

Zicore

Smash Champion
ummm...I hosted a brawl tourney. I brawl at comsos house all the time. I jsut smashed with gary, cosmo, and another friend at my house 2 days ago. I stayed up all night playing brawl with Doza, Faye, Brightside, and sync at Zjiins place. I play brawl a lot more then you think. Just cause I portray an image doesn't mean I am that way.

And I was active in the tourney scene for about 4 years? Yeah, I got somewhat bored with it when all I did was get 3 stocked by cosmo every day for hours and hours. But look at all the cool people I've met and how many memories I will have because of it.

And you always had an opportunity to place in the money. Just cause you didn't doesn't mean you didn't go for the money. How many times have you lost teams with aaron and got outside of third other then FC's? Can you recall? I know I can't.

But w/e. I don't care. I dont' want to argue anymore. Its pointless and dumb.

BIG C

Smash Master
getting 0 - death'd in melee shouldn't happen enough(especially for a jiggs player) to not want to play melee cuz of it anymore.

also would u rather have a game that you can say just SHFFL uair be true or a game where u can say just f-tilt and it be true or just sheild and it be true like i mean cmon now.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
also would u rather have a game that you can say just SHFFL uair be true or a game where u can say just f-tilt and it be true or just sheild and it be true like i mean cmon now.
either way it's irrelevent. Only requiring to do one thing to win is boring, the difficulty of the way of winning doesn't matter.

Also, comparing the two really is irrelevent too... They are two completely different games that require completely different strategies and gameplay. One is more focused on offensive pressuring, the other is more focused on defensive move placement. Same label, different games. I don't see why people haven't gotten over this yet...

hunger!

Smash Champion
either way it's irrelevent. Only requiring to do one thing to win is boring, the difficulty of the way of winning doesn't matter.

Also, comparing the two really is irrelevent too... They are two completely different games that require completely different strategies and gameplay. One is more focused on offensive pressuring, the other is more focused on defensive move placement. Same label, different games. I don't see why people haven't gotten over this yet...
nicely put tapion *claps*

Top Bottom