• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Art With Your Power VI

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Art With Your Power

The current drawing prompt is....

MONSTER

Any medium is allowed.

Contest is over on March 23rd 2012 at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time!

Results Thread

Judging
Each entry will be judged according to four guidelines, and each of these will be worth five points (meaning each piece will be eligible for a total of 60 points; 20 from each judge):

Adherence to Prompt: Self explanatory. It just needs to relate to the topic in some way. I see this as an easy 5 points.

Skill: Another self explanatory one. Don't worry if your art skills aren't top of the rung. This is only one category, and let's remember, the basis of this contest is fun and improvement.

Ingenuity/Style: How clever were you with your piece while sticking to the theme? Also, is your style refreshing? Did you use your medium in an unconventional way?

Aesthetics: Is your piece pleasing to look at? How is its composition? Colors work nicely together? Does it draw the viewer in?

The judges will be: Virgilijus, Geist, and Neon Ness. The method for judging is the so called "Scurvy" method developed by Scav and Virg: only the top three placers will be named (barring very close 4th places) and no numerical scores based on the rubric will ever be posted. This is to help the younger artists who don't necessarily need to know they were the judged the worst. There will be judges' comments with each piece that offer critiques on the piece.

Prizes

Of course, this being the most awesome section of the boards, there will be prizes.

THIRD PLACE:

You'll receive the awesome Paint Brush postbit. :brush:

SECOND PLACE:

You'll earn not just the Brush, but a custom title of your choice.

FIRST PLACE:

On top of gaining the Brush and custom title, you get to choose the prompt of the next contest and partake in the judging as well. SWEET!

How to enter

Just post your entry in this thread, along with these guidelines:

You absolutely MUST INCLUDE a description along with your image giving a brief summary of what you did. This is to help weed out stolen images. We also need at least two progress pictures. For photography I ask that you supply a picture of you holding out your screen name in the scene you just photographed(like, say you photographed a field. I would want an extra picture of you showing your screen name in said field). I know this is a pain, but it's much harder to find stolen images than stolen written works. Also, please put these WIPs in the same post as your submission, and make them just links.

DO NOT CHEAT. I cannot be more serious when I say this. We take cheating/stealing images very seriously and won't hold back on any perpetrators. If we find you have stolen an image, this will result in a one month ban from the AE. You will receive two points that will last two weeks as per the global rules. You will also be banned from future AWYPs and have the stigma of a cheater all over you. We've had people cheat before in other contests and I can assure you, for the 30 seconds it took them to cheat they absolutely regret it. If you are drawing, tracing is also not allowed and will be up to the judges discretion to claim.

Deadly Turnip Corollary: All entries must be completely new pieces of art. Even if you are the artist, if it is found that your work was posted online or in another forum before submitting it in this contest you will be disqualified.

Also, NO JOKE ENTRIES. This doesn't mean your entry can't be funny, but I won't tolerate an image you threw together in MS Paint for lulz and attention. You will be warned the first time it happens, and then banned from the AE if I see it again. You will no longer be able to submit real entries to any future contests. This is a serious competition to promote practicing your art and improving. Also, one official entry per entrant. If you have several pieces and don't know which to choose, you can post several and get other people's opinions on which you want to enter, but only one will be entered (we can comment on the others, but it won't affect the contest).

Now, the main purpose of this contest isn't to win: it's to draw and paint and sculpt and to have fun while doing it. If it becomes too much of a chore or things start piling up on you, don't worry about it. There will always be another contest.

So go ahead and start drawing! And don't forget to ART WITH YOUR POWER!

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
imma enter this... just hope i can remember about it before i start my extremely short spring break.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
**** yeah, probably the best prompt I've seen so far.

FREAKING AWYP. 1 hour in and I'm already mad because I have cool ideas (I hope) but suck at making it look like anything presentable.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Ah.

Due to the work load of my classes, I can't promise I'll get something . . . Buuuut I'll make an attempt to get something on here. :)

Neon Ness

Due to the work load of my classes, I can't promise I'll get something . . . Buuuut I'll make an attempt to get something on here. :)
Really? Even if you just worked on it a little each day you could have something presentable by the 23rd.

A month is a long time y'know. :smirk:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm aware.

This is why i said I'll try to get something.

I promise I'll have something.

neous

Smash Journeyman
im done.

proofs: http://tmblr.co/ZQQaVxHM6hAi

descrip:
song inspiration: http://youtu.be/QF1xJ7MDlHY

Monster
Ghostly – haunter

Love-er
Come
hither (hit her)

Bitter (bit her)
Serpent
slit-hers (slithers)

~Hurts

But
Still love you so
Why
(Bae)
I’ll never know

Summary of what i did:
opened up mspaint
listened to cassius
drew a head
drew another head
wrote a poem
handstyle
combine in mspaint
edit in pixlr
and done!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Luhyutew Knee-o

:c sorry
Internet is literally nonexistent for me at my dorm atm
And sister hogs computer when im home
Stupid laptop keeps breaking. They honestly gave me the most defective laptop they could make.

:phone:

Geist

Smash Master
They honestly gave me the most defective laptop they could make.

I doubt that, I just finished listening to my roommate complain for 9 months about how his computer ceased to function at all. He had every piece replaced almost twice and they finally gave up and just gave him store credit lmao

moral of the story is to never buy an hp computer ever

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
That's awful!!

I'm close to having that done for mine (they might replace it for me)
Hasn't nearly been as bad, but I start 3D next quarter and i can't not have a working computer. And they are getting a little scared of my angry dad who is helpin me take care of stuff rofl

Neon Ness

Whoa, guys this is the AWYP thread lol, entries and contest discussion go here.

This conversation belongs in the social.

Neon Ness

Only one week left!

Where are all of the entries? Thought more people would have joined by now.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Looks like we have another case of people that like the idea of doing something more so than actually doing it :mad088:

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Look here, now, Virg. I'm quite ART'd out thanks to the semester. But I still got things I must do.

If I could veer away from the assignments and was in a fine mood to do this, I would. I could better work on it when the semester is out. At least then not meeting a date, or expectations both personal and of the assignment, or the stress of wondering if I passed things or not would not be so heavily weighted on my shoulders.

:glare:

trust me I have this FINE idea for it, I've kept it in mind. I just got too many things on my mind and in my hands.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I have mine halfway done
Had some commissions and schoolwork pop up, but I have a good amount done so far :)

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I wish I'd known about this sooner... Since I don't have time to make an extra piece I'll probably just bump up an idea from my concentration.

Neon Ness

I wish I'd known about this sooner... Since I don't have time to make an extra piece I'll probably just bump up an idea from my concentration.
Actually, the rules state that your entry's got to be something new made for this contest. :\

A week is actually a pretty long time though. You got this.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
It is new though it's just an idea that I was going to do later in the month but I'll do it now rather than the idea I was about to start on. That's what I meant by "bump up an idea". When I said extra I meant a completely original idea IN ADDITION to the idea I was about to start on for school. Unfortunately time in general has been moving increasingly quickly. A week will ZOOM by for me.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
My art teacher kinda suggested me for AP drawing (was too young last year for it) and now I have to have this huge portfolio by monday...
So because of this combined with Track being every day, I wont have much time to work on it sadly...
I'll still try and get something done, I already have a few concepts too.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Fudge why didn't I see this earlier :(

I'll still try to get something in though. Vamos!

EDIT: Not surprised there's few entries, from past experience, everyone submits on the last 2.5 days :p

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
My art teacher kinda suggested me for AP drawing (was too young last year for it) and now I have to have this huge portfolio by monday...
So because of this combined with Track being every day, I wont have much time to work on it sadly...
I'll still try and get something done, I already have a few concepts too.
The AP test isn't until may 4th though iirc. If that's not the exact day I'm at least sure it isn't until may because my the concentration I mentioned is for my AP test.

Alley Cat

Smash Apprentice

BAM
I figure I'm done now. Super special thanks to Geeeiiiist for teaching me how to paint digitally and letting me use your photobucket to upload :>

[collapse="Description"]It's a monster :D
During my recent stint with the stomach flu I think I saw this in my closet. It was thankfully just delirium. I think. [/collapse]

[collapse="Process"]First I started by trashing my first idea that I finished because it sucked. Then I drew lines on my screen in a way that created visual representations that are generally recognizable due to basic stimuli in response to electrical information being passed between the optical nerves and the occipital lobe.
After I was done scribbling I made colors :D
First I made a bg color and then I made the other ones on top using layers because I really like layers.
Then using more layers and a lot of trial and error I did the light band thingamadooder coming off the window. And then I barfed because I was sick.
Classyyyy[/collapse]

[collapse="Proof"]http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/19Deschain19/wip1.jpg?t=1332327679
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/19Deschain19/wip2.jpg?t=1332327679
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/19Deschain19/DSC00270.jpg?t=1332327915
[/collapse]

Mewter

Smash Master
Woah, Alley Cat. It's great! Poor kid.
I'm not sure if I'll submit anything. I'm missing the tablet pen. :urg:

Alley Cat

Smash Apprentice
thanks brah
Don't worry about her, the monster has a party hat. He's taking her to a party. Yeah No worries, it's all good.

If you have a scanner you should draw something still :<

Where are all the entires? I expected more on at least the second last day

Top Bottom