• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arrrrrrggggggghhh! Watdahayll! I hate you 'R' trigger!

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I've been using the same controller for about a year and half. Yesterday, the 'R' trigger button decides to stop working and I am now left with a dilemma. I used the 'R' trigger for EVERYTHING and now I can't press it without the little piece of crap inputting a half-second longer than it should (so now a clean, L-canceled aerial becomes an L-canceled aerial with a quick shield coming up afterward and this derails my mobility as what would have been a dash to the left or the right becomes a roll and imagine what this does for my wavedashing!)

Anyway, now I am left with a choice. I can either invest in a new controller or learn to do the ATs with L-trigger and/or Z. The point of this thread is to investigate a little and find out what other Falco players use to 'L-cancel' and 'wavedash'. I relied solely on the 'R' trigger for everything and my gut tells me that the button one uses for ATs is just a matter of preference, but I was hoping someone could share their experience with changing the button they used for ATs and if they found a certain button and/or combination of buttons (L trigger for shielding/wavedashing and Z button for 'L' canceling) to be most efficient.

Thanks.

-Jesse

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Buy a new controller, easiest way. Or relearn everything, which could take a while.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
I was so close to buying a controller yesterday. Haha.
I started 'L'-cancelling with 'Z' and that wasn't too bad as going from 'R' to 'Z' isn't much of leap and still feels intuitive. It's the wavedashing with 'L' that feels painfully awkward.

lndignant

Smash Rookie
I use R for everything as well, I bought 4 new controllers but had to buy a gamecube and 16 other games with them lol, but now I got spares. I'd trie using Z if I were you and if it's just too precious just get a new controller...or 4.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
yeah i agree with tempest.. crack the sucker open and tinker will the buttons. i remember once we totally ****ed up my friends controller... dipped it in cat litter, spit in it, dipped it in the toilet, farted on it, let it sit in a dusty corner for about an hour.. it would not work at all. the next mourning my friend took it apart and had it working perfectly.

i have no idea why i just shared that story.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
well the screw drivers are cheap, and it could just be a sticky issue. take out the parts and let them soak in the sink with some soap, should be good as new.

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
I had this problem. Hold your R button and reset your controller. This should work. You won't be able to light shield anymore.... But it won't hold down after you l cancel causing you to roll. Although this does help I still suggest getting a new controller.

I wave dash with L and Shield/ L cancel with R.

G~low

Smash Apprentice
Open that thang up man. =D
I
have the opposite problem, my L trigger is dying by the day and the Z squeeks now like a little rat lmao. I need to open it soon and clear the gunk out and hopefully resolve the problems.

Anyways good luck gettin it to work, I would imagine you would want your R working than gettin use to the L for the next weeks.
-_-

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Let's weigh your options:

A. Completely relearn playing smash, which could take months getting used to not pushing R.
B. Spending 30$ for a new controller, which takes weeks to months to be broken in to your personal liking.

C. Spend 1$ and get a triwing. Open up your current controller and fix the R button, and any other future problems you might come across, plus this opens you up to the world of controler customisation.

Which is the best option?

person701

Smash Journeyman
Let's weigh your options:

A. Completely relearn playing smash, which could take months getting used to not pushing R.
B. Spending 30$ for a new controller, which takes weeks to months to be broken in to your personal liking.

C. Spend 1$ and get a triwing. Open up your current controller and fix the R button, and any other future problems you might come across, plus this opens you up to the world of controler customisation.

Which is the best option?
C. Just open it up and tinker with it. There are plenty of people around these forums who have open up their controller fro whatever reasons. And it's not even that hard. Heck, you could use a regular flathead screwdriver to open it... but don't strip the screw. Then your screwed.

Top Bottom