• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
wow the noob tournament placed so many noobs above me. Like some dude named TMH and mimic
The more tournaments you go to the more representative it'll be of your actual ranking. You've been to lots less than even me and I have only been to like 7. Stop making up excuses and actually go to tournaments. Once I get owned at my next tourny my points will lower again. I've just been to too few of them and thus my points can fluctuate wildly.

March Hare, thanks for the help. I just finished ROM lol, and it took a while. I'm gonna do the full ROM series today so yeah, should be fun (not really).

Although if you have dual monitors it really helps! It took me like 3.5 hours to do OC2 with 192 people, but for ROM it only took about 1.5 hours with 130 or so people. Also had one less round of pools.
No problem. Mindless work makes my day. :)

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
wow the noob tournament placed so many noobs above me. Like some dude named TMH and mimic
wow look at all those noobz above me hahaha. I guess I should start trying to win.

I think I just gonna practice yoshi and marth until the next time I see you guys. It would be pointless for me to practice falcon. You guys driving up to the next pathways? XD I hate to admit it but arby managed to surpass my falcon with his some time ago. I think last week. I'll just keep my yoshi since arby's yoshi will never be as good as mine. It's the fundamental difference in our playing that will make yoshi impossible for him.

I might go ahead and buy me a dazzle so I can record some of these sweet yoshi computer combos. :'(

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Just because I'm smart enough to go to national conferences in my field, and not go to noob tournaments to artificially boost my ranking
Your field is apparently supposed to be translation. You went to the conference for a crappy little short story you wrote as an assignment for a creative writing class. Excuse me for not being impressed.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Sry I wasn't able to find more than the ark 2 tio file. If you haven't remade the others I can search one more place that they might be

EDIT: Found ARK I's.

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
Thank you will. Takes a bow.
Rusty, could you give me a detailed reason why you think the 4th SOIAF book is better than the third. Because I truely don't understand where you are coming from. (Except for the end of the third with tyrion. It annoys me how he ***** tyrion's character)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
First time so far that my nursing professor has told me something worthwhile. That Monte Cristo was definitely awesome. Good to know I got a good thing started here. That's a repeat for sure.

That first bite...man.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Also just an FYI arby/tmh/ziv/ or whoever is doing TIO stuff.

there's two files for Jack that you guys might wanna sync

ihavespaceballs
IHaveSpaceBalls

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
After mastering Marvel 3 and being the best in Arkansas I've decided to be dedicated to smash again.
haha I'm pretty sure you get owned in marvel too. that's right I surf the arfgn facebook page.

First time so far that my nursing professor has told me something worthwhile. That Monte Cristo was definitely awesome. Good to know I got a good thing started here. That's a repeat for sure.

That first bite...man.
Since when did I become a nursing professor?

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
Can't the one and only black man on this forum topic have a little fun?

Forget you VTS

Yoshiman don't get bodied

Maxx lets not have a repeat of you getting bodied again.

:awesome:

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Can't the one and only black man on this forum topic have a little fun?

Forget you VTS

Yoshiman don't get bodied

Maxx lets not have a repeat of you getting bodied again.

:awesome:
I have a 2nd cousin and a distant aunt that are black. I'm pretty sure that makes me a very, a very light skinned African American. :reverse:

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Thank you will. Takes a bow.
Rusty, could you give me a detailed reason why you think the 4th SOIAF book is better than the third. Because I truely don't understand where you are coming from. (Except for the end of the third with tyrion. It annoys me how he ***** tyrion's character)
I still have a couple hundred pages left in Feast for Crows, but so far nothing upsetting has happened. Martin is like a Dr. Genius/Mr. Hack dual personality, and he's managed to keep Mr. Hack under control this book. Some people (ok, a lot) may say it's boring and nothing happens, but I am more than content with slow and steady character and plot development. Now, the last third of the book may completely ruin this perception. Honestly this guy only needs a couple sentences to destroy entire manuscripts.

The first two are definitely better, but Storm of Swords went off the deep end. Sadly, from what I hear the fifth book takes a dive into the Mariana Trench.

That first bite...man.
Yeah dude, thanks for the heads up. It was delicious.
Sry I wasn't able to find more than the ark 2 tio file. If you haven't remade the others I can search one more place that they might be

EDIT: Found ARK I's.
Muchas gracias señor SmokeMaxX.
Want to money match? First to 10 and I'll spot you 5 games?
LOL

Oh Memk.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
^yeah

Oh Seif, I realized a great example of the master-slave relationship while in the shower. You know when we found out Beth's friend loved FMA, and we were jokingly wondering who was really testing the other (between you and him)? Well, that is exactly what Hegel calls the "struggle unto death," forcing the other to recognize you first. The master would rather accept death (figurative and sometimes literal) than show the other self-consciousness recognition first. The slave values life more. Ironically, Hegel finds the slave to be the eventual winner in this relationship. In time, it invariably realizes that the master's entire basis for authority is found in what the slave provides (attention, submission, and literal products). He meant this as both an argument for emancipation as well as a commentary on the individual. Dating can serve as another example. Stereotypically speaking, at first the woman is the master. She presents herself as something worth noticing, forcing the male to recognize her first. I.e., in bars, men approach women lol. But somewhere along the line, the man becomes the master. He stops giving the woman so much attention and withdraws into himself, and the woman in turn gives more attention to the man. Here you have the stoic husband and nagging wife: Al Bundy and Peg. However, at any point the man (at first) or woman (later on) can realize that the other depends on them for their position. It is our attention that validates their existence and self-perception as something special. But they are only special to their "slave," and that slave can simply take it all away.

Why this struggle exists: Recognizing another self-consciousness requires you to come outside of yourself, to put your self-identity at risk. Think of when you randomly stare at someone without meaning to. If you are alerted to this because they happen to notice you giving them the creeper gaze, you instantly feel uncomfortable. This is because you have been observed outside of yourself, outside of your control. Your self-identity was at risk and you couldn't do a thing about it. Of course, as soon as you realize the situation you retreat back inside yourself (by looking away, etc). Or in a situation like yours, you are potentially dealing with an equivalent peer. Neither side wants to present itself as an object with which to be compared, one which can be judged. This kind of thing is all over academia. Historians and other academics are some of the pettiest, most immature people, and it all comes out of this basic insecurity about our self-worth.

So the idea behind all this is that giving another recognition first makes you vulnerable. None of us wants to put ourselves out before the jury to be judged. The other person should endure that first, so we feel more secure in how we compare to them. This is the moving force behind stage fright, passive aggressiveness, beta personalities, and so on. Your pseudo-interaction with that other guy just reminded me of all this in a silly way lol.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
^yeah

Oh Seif, I realized a great example of the master-slave relationship while in the shower. You know when we found out Beth's friend loved FMA, and we were jokingly wondering who was really testing the other (between you and him)? Well, that is exactly what Hegel calls the "struggle unto death," forcing the other to recognize you first. The master would rather accept death (figurative and sometimes literal) than show the other self-consciousness recognition first. The slave values life more. Ironically, Hegel finds the slave to be the eventual winner in this relationship. In time, it invariably realizes that the master's entire basis for authority is found in what the slave provides (attention, submission, and literal products). He meant this as both an argument for emancipation as well as a a commentary on the individual.

Why this struggle exists: Recognizing another self-consciousness requires you to come outside of yourself, to put your self-identity at risk. Think of when you randomly stare at someone without meaning to. If you are alerted to this because they happen to notice you giving them the creeper gaze, you instantly feel uncomfortable. This is because you have been observed outside of yourself, outside of your control. Your self-identity was at risk and you couldn't do a thing about it. Of course, as soon as you realize the situation you retreat back inside yourself (by looking away, etc). Or in a situation like yours, you are potentially dealing with an equivalent peer. Neither side wants to present itself as an object with which to be compared, one which can be judged. This kind of thing is all over academia. Historians and other academics are some of the pettiest, most immature people, and it all comes out of this basic insecurity about our self-worth.

So the idea behind all this is that giving another recognition first makes you vulnerable. None of us wants to put ourselves out before the jury to be judged. The other person should endure that first, so we feel more secure in how we compare to them. This is the moving force behind stage fright, passive aggressiveness, beta personalities, and so on. Your pseudo-interaction with that other guy just reminded me of all this in a silly way lol.
The sad truth is, that knowing all this doesn't make it any better. All it means is that you recognize what you're doing.

-edit- OMG Fate/Zero OST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SWxOtC9wjE

sooooo good
/VTSpeech

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
True, but I think the knowing means a lot. The point of the whole dialectic is that master and slave eventually see each other as equals.* The master cannot exist without the slave, and yet it cannot exist with the slave. It needs self-verification from a source it respects, an equal self-consciousness. However, past a point the slave's opinion no longer matters. It has been subjugated to the level of an object, something to be used rather than respected. The slave originally submits to the master, then eventually realizes the master depends on it. These contradictions resolve in the understanding that we are all fundamentally equals dependent on each other for our existence and identity. I think that's pretty powerful. Also, understanding the true nature of things - who you really are; why you act the way you do - can lead to another powerful realization. We're all the same. I don't mean equal as self-consciousnesses, but as humans living in the modern world. We all deal with these same insecurities and questions, and while there isn't a definitive answer, coming to terms with yourself can open the door to a personal one. At the least, it can enrich life a little.

Or lead to self-loathing a la Evangelion. However, plenty of people have resolved their own existential crises, and enough has been written about the subject, that Shinji, Asuka, etc., are less probably the rule and more likely an interesting case study. Really though, the more I think about it the more Eva seems like "an artist's reimagining of GWF Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit." Asuka was just dying for recognition (like literally), and so was Shinji. The CONGRATULATIONS! scene is like an over-the-top caricature of this need for validation. His problem with Asuka is that he is simply unable to come outside of himself and recognize her, though his perception of her and her (hopeful) perception of herself are initially the same. His conception of self-worth is just that low and fragile. Rei has her own set of issues, which I'm just now appreciating. She's also dealing with this question of identity and worth, but with the self-understanding that she is a clone. In addition to seeking recognition from the Ikaris. Man that show is good.

*The logical point of the dialectic was to prove that we can obtain absolute knowledge (going back to the rationalist-empiricist dilemma partially answered by Kant). He finally laid to rest the notion that we can't be certain of anything (aka my mom's favorite argument).

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
http://www.ssbpd.com/player/Armada

Armada's score is 2012 right now. How appropriate.

Just did Tipped Off 7, or what's available of it. Not having pools super sucks. Same will be true for POE and SMYM if the Midwest TOs don't have those files. FC series is still lost in time...

Tipped Off 5 bracket is also MIA, though thankfully TO4 is up on AIB, pools and all. SleepyK is a hero.

Vts

Smash Champion
So arby I heard you need a desk top.

Well your in luck, and by luck I mean I just got a sweet free cpu/case/ 1000 watt PS and maybe hd (gotta rip it out and test it with other stuff). 8g of ddr2 sticks (not going to use)
and dead motherboard so for like $100-$150 (150 is bad harddrive) then i'll have a spare computer XD, also you can use my old monitor if needed. little 19 inch monitor/tv that over heats after like 2 hours and flickers (just have to turn it off for a little bit to let cool down).

but waiting on my taxes, also need to rip it apart after class to see if it's a quad core or just dual core cpu, i'll post pictures later of it

Vts

Smash Champion
it won't have a graphics card at first, we can add one in later for like $70-400 depending on what you want to use it for.

kind of don't want to let you use it cus it looks sweet and it's portable desktop (yes portable) it's a super lunchbox

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
I think I caught the "arby sickness."
- coughing for no reason
- all my high pitches are completely gone
- when someone smokes around me I start coughing uncontrollably.
Sounds like you have a deficiency of mucus. Here's a solution I think sounds cool...Find over the counter histamines. I don't know if they actually sell them anywhere but they probably do. And then use them. Should fix all your problems. :)

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Sounds like you have a deficiency of mucus. Here's a solution I think sounds cool...Find over the counter histamines. I don't know if they actually sell them anywhere but they probably do. And then use them. Should fix all your problems. :)
I would say I have more mucus than before. I also have to blow my nose more often than usual.

Top Bottom