• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

arbustos

Smash Journeyman

Ouch, cutting a little deep there Wolfram >.>

http://www.mediumdifficulty.com/2012/03/01/call-of-apathy-violent-young-men-and-our-place-in-war/
Neat article. A soldier explaining the reality of modern warfare and how most combat troops are sociopaths who live only for leave and to "brutalize the enemy." The heroes who fight for ideals and win medals for bravery are seen as incompetents by their peers. "We look at others who get an award for some spectacular bout of bravery as being exceptionally stupid in nature, not heroic" (echoed in the comments). Civilian casualties are meaningless, horrendous acts laughable. This crazy world...

http://blog.frankdelaney.com/re-joyce/
http://ulyssesseen.com/
Pretty cool stuff. Stupid book's been hanging over my head for years.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I would love to travel, however I'm not at a point in my life where I can do that.

I personally think you should realize that the guy who beat you in two different sets has people around here who are just as good if not better than him. You seem very caught up on that 1 set where you beat Arby, but not so caught up on the set where you MM'd Ace and got 3-0'd. In fact, you refused to upload that match for some reason. You tell me why.

Let's just talk about our wins and stuff, that'll be fun, eh?

Also, since I don't travel I don't really know how good I am so why would I talk crap? If I do, it's usually in jest or for fun since that's how I am. Sorries.
i mentioned the set I beat arby once D:
the ace mm: i also didn't upload the MO vs. AR crew battle from that tourney. it's because the files got corrupted after i got GFs up.

i was also mostly joking tbh didn't think I'd be taken that seriously. AR is overall better than MO I think (some of your better players don't travel though), especially with Como having stopped attending tourneys altogether (sinister was one of our strongest players, as was Akuma. Leviathan has a lot of potential too I wish he'd attend tourneys). darkatma's back is soooo big tho.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
i mentioned the set I beat arby once D:
the ace mm: i also didn't upload the MO vs. AR crew battle from that tourney. it's because the files got corrupted after i got GFs up.

i was also mostly joking tbh didn't think I'd be taken that seriously. AR is overall better than MO I think (some of your better players don't travel though), especially with Como having stopped attending tourneys altogether (sinister was one of our strongest players, as was Akuma. Leviathan has a lot of potential too I wish he'd attend tourneys). darkatma's back is soooo big tho.
Sinister really did have worlds of potential. Dark Atma is really good...obviously. He put me out of the last Pathways I went to. I played Akuma, and I didn't really think he was all that. I mean he was pretty okay, but I literally double 3 stocked him in pools and couldn't get impressed when I was watching him.

Ace's punishment game is sick, don't worry...he shows up out of the blue after never playing for months and still hangs with us lol.

Arby is good...better than you give him credit I believe. And because he won't say anything about it because he doesn't want to john, he literally just got that new controller about 30 minutes before they left for MO. See how fast he is next time ya'll play when he learns his controller. He's also one of these guys who the more he plays you the better he does vs you. He may beat me and VTS all the time, but I still don't think he's necessarily better than us. At least not me. But I could be wrong.

one guy from here who I wish would travel more is Saberguy. He has so much potential but never plays this game much anymore and still somehow remains to be maybe the most technical person I've seen irl at times. Me and Chamberlin would love to travel more, but I'm busy with school and church, and he is busy with church and fiance stuff.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
DK's got a pretty big back too

dat cargo throw

What would a Missouri top 5 look like right now?
DarkAtma
Sinister
Leviathan
Strong Bad
Brawl Pro

I would assume, however I haven't played Brawl Pro before. He is really good though. That fifth spot could likely be switched out for a number of different players. GenoBlast is also really good. Phatgamer could probably come out of retirement and take the number 2 or 3 spot really easily. CookieMonsta and Zantetsu are up and coming and will be really good very shortly.

I am like 5-1 vs Akuma in tournament. He is good, but not that good.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
And a good football team. :bee:
lol no one cares about football.

I need to go do things, but I can't stop staring at my computer screen while jamming out to RHCP. So, arby I can't find a band other than rhcp that I can listen to without ever getting burned out. Do you have any bands that you never get tired of? or do you never give yourself the chance to burnout.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
DarkAtma
Sinister
Leviathan
Strong Bad
Brawl Pro

I would assume, however I haven't played Brawl Pro before. He is really good though. That fifth spot could likely be switched out for a number of different players. GenoBlast is also really good. Phatgamer could probably come out of retirement and take the number 2 or 3 spot really easily. CookieMonsta and Zantetsu are up and coming and will be really good very shortly.

Hm... I couldn't call it. Excepting Atma, we're all in the same general skill range. And we could counter him depending on which character he plays. If Peach, G. Vice. If Sheik, Vts. I could feasibly see us winning, though I wouldn't bet money on it.

A 10v10 would better show the depth of skill in MO, but we cannot claim the same player base. We're just Little Rock, whereas you guys are Springfield, Rolla, Columbia, and St. Louis all together. But that's what draft crews are for!

get@terral'spikachu
donotget@robbie'sganondorf

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I need to go do things, but I can't stop staring at my computer screen while jamming out to RHCP. So, arby I can't find a band other than rhcp that I can listen to without ever getting burned out. Do you have any bands that you never get tired of? or do you never give yourself the chance to burnout.
Well, there's the *20 bucks he's gonna say Beatles* Beatles, and Pogo I suppose. My Bloody Valentine, Belle and Sebastian, Radiohead.

I am more album-oriented though. There are definitely a good number of albums I doubt I'll ever tire of, even after years of exposure.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Arby and I are featured in the Legacy Midwest video :) I didn't know that until like two hours ago when Strong Bad told me lol. We both have combos against Strong Bad and G. Vice in there too.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Man, getting a full night's sleep is overrated. I'm gonna live off 4 hours of sleep everyday.

:|

Here's something intresting. Apparently the name Siegfried is another spelling for Sigurd, a "legendary" dragon slayer in Old Norse mythology. Still trying to figure out what Kircheis stands for. Maybe nothing.

Meaningful Name: So many of them: Reinhard means brave and cunning, Hildegard means "battle stronghold", Julian means youthful, Adrian means "Dark" and "Rich", and the best example is Yang Wen-Li himself: in Chinese, Wen means "culture, literacy" while Li means "reason, logic" as well as "strength, power": quite fitting considering that the man's brain may be the most dangerous weapon of the known universe...

(理 means "reason, logic", while 力 means "strength, power". There is no Chinese character pronounced "li" that means both "reason, logic" AND "strength, power". Wen can also mean "literature" or "words".)
Even some Imperial flagships have meaningful names/Theme Naming: Reinhard von Lohengramm has "Brünhild," red-haired Kircheis has "Barbarossa" ("Red-beard"), Wolfgang Mittermeyer, paragon of male virtues, has "Beowulf", Tall, Dark, and Handsome Tragic Hero Reuenthal has "Tristan", orange-haired, yellow-eyed, short-tempered Bittenfeld has "Königstiger" (the German name for the Bengal tiger, but often translated directly as "King tiger"), artistic and wise Mecklinger has "Kvasir" (in Norse Mythology Kvasir was the wisest man in the world and the mead of poetry was created from his blood), and Eisenach, the Silent Admiral who is famous for communicating through hand gestures, has "Vissar" (misspelling of "Vithar", son of Odin who was famous for being always silent).

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Lol you need to brush up on your mythology bro :woman:

Ring Cycle in three sentences: Siegfried or Sigurd is the son of Sigmund and lover/victim of Brunhilde. There's a big misunderstanding due to magic, Brunhilde gets salty, and everyone dies.

Tristan is a knight of the Round Table. His story with Isolde is quite similar to the above, actually. Two people fall in love because of magic, still love each other after its effects wear off, love triangles etc., Tristan gives her up to his friend the king and leaves. Marries a jealous ho, is poisoned, calls for Isolde (only person who can heal him), white sails if her, black sails if not, jealous ho wife says it's black sails on the horizon though they are white, Tristan dies of grief feeling betrayed by Isolde, Isolde dies over his body. You know what hasn't occurred to me before... this story sucks the most for the king. He lost his wife and his best friend in one go.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Where's the third sentence?
Children with smart mouths don't get dessert :mad:

Putting some time into the database right now. Tagging names and such, especially West Coast players. Lots of capitalization issues. March Hare and I are also piecing together all the tourneys we've gone to in the past ~year. After this Oklahoma tournament is figured out, I'll have everything up I've been to since last May. Oh, and when the latest Pathways is uploaded. Then I can get to bigger events. Thinking SCC first.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Children with smart mouths don't get dessert :mad:

Putting some time into the database right now. Tagging names and such, especially West Coast players. Lots of capitalization issues. March Hare and I are also piecing together all the tourneys we've gone to in the past ~year. After this Oklahoma tournament is figured out, I'll have everything up I've been to since last May. Oh, and when the latest Pathways is uploaded. Then I can get to bigger events. Thinking SCC first.
I really appreciate the help. If you think you will actually be putting a lot of time into this (and you seem like you will) I could probably get FoxLisk to add you as a Mod. Then you could merge players, process tournaments, ect without having to wait.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I really appreciate the help. If you think you will actually be putting a lot of time into this (and you seem like you will) I could probably get FoxLisk to add you as a Mod. Then you could merge players, process tournaments, ect without having to wait.
Yeah haha, right now it seems like the work is being doubled. I'm tagging the players, then you have to check it out and make the fix. Super inefficient, especially when you have other things to do.

This kind of thing is fun to me :)

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hope to see you guys at Game Ever today! Melee tourney on CRTs and Gamecubes. BYOC if you want, but not necessary. $10 total entrance fee (plus tax) which also gives you free all day access to the venue to play whatever you want. Registration starts at 2, tourney starts at 3. I heavily recommend getting there by 2:30 so that we can start on time.

The big tourney is $100 flat prize. The smaller tourney is $50 game ever credit + nintendo toys or something. You can only enter one, so choose wisely. Hope to see all you cats soon!

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Omg, I'm trying to make sure melee stays represented on arfgn's facebook, but all I get is "lol party game, you can throw that out of ark we don't mind." And then some guys trying to say that all ssb games were suppose to not be competitive. If I'm correct, which I think I am, it was only brawl that was not suppose to be competitive. These guys are ******s. No matter how many times I try to convince them, the are so stuck in their ways and refuse to think past the common denominator.

More Importantly: I think I'll go ahead and try to finish G gundam. Although, my current score if it is a 7 since it hurt me so.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-forum/general/anime/#c313784

See what I did there?

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
^Don't waste your time. It doesn't matter.

Memk told Adam his Ganon played like G. Vice's LOL.
1. Adam's Ganondorf
2. Some Peach
3. TRON
4. Memk

1. Arby
2. Ace
3. Vts
4. Don
5. Roxas

I have a couple videos. Also, we should get a smashfest going sometime. Ace has more free time again, so whenever is good for you guys (esp. Clay and Zane). Just let us know.

Oh yeah, there were 28 people at Game Ever today for Melee. He plans on holding these regularly, so you guys should try to come out next time.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
sweet Jesus 28 people for melee....

well, once I get a car I will be traveling to little rock for melee.

Did anyone show any interest in becoming competitive at Melee? The only way to make our community bigger is to nurture small competitive spirits until they can thrive on their own.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
sweet Jesus 28 people for melee....

well, once I get a car I will be traveling to little rock for melee.

Did anyone show any interest in becoming competitive at Melee? The only way to make our community bigger is to nurture small competitive spirits until they can thrive on their own.
Lol Yoshiman is calling little rock "our" smash community...so good to know you still feel like this is home although you left us Will :)

LOL memk is hilarious. Goes to show you how well he knows this game :awesome:

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Omg, I'm trying to make sure melee stays represented on arfgn's facebook, but all I get is "lol party game, you can throw that out of ark we don't mind." And then some guys trying to say that all ssb games were suppose to not be competitive. If I'm correct, which I think I am, it was only brawl that was not suppose to be competitive. These guys are ******s. No matter how many times I try to convince them, the are so stuck in their ways and refuse to think past the common denominator.
Sorry guys. I wasn't home at the time. We've been policing it after the damage was done. I don't care if people like other fighting games, but I demand for them to show respect on the facebook group. If people are too offensive for too long, trust me when I say that they'll be kicked out of the group.

Hope you guys had fun. Please don't be afraid to post more in the facebook group. I know it seems a little hostile, but the more you post, the more I'll be able to get everyone else in line if they troll you guys and then everything will be fine and dandy. It's the Fighting Game Network, not the Capcom Fighting Game Network. I'll make sure everyone knows that.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
Hey guys, I've realized how much worse I've gotten at melee so I need practice help me out men.

DON'T WAVEDASH AND STOP JUMPING

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Sorry guys. I wasn't home at the time. We've been policing it after the damage was done. I don't care if people like other fighting games, but I demand for them to show respect on the facebook group. If people are too offensive for too long, trust me when I say that they'll be kicked out of the group.

Hope you guys had fun. Please don't be afraid to post more in the facebook group. I know it seems a little hostile, but the more you post, the more I'll be able to get everyone else in line if they troll you guys and then everything will be fine and dandy. It's the Fighting Game Network, not the Capcom Fighting Game Network. I'll make sure everyone knows that.
Thanks again man.
Roxas and another guy. Idk if anything will happen though. We don't have the largest community here, so keeping in touch and playing at convenient times is kinda difficult.
Hey guys, I've realized how much worse I've gotten at melee so I need practice help me out men.

DON'T WAVEDASH AND STOP JUMPING
Imma waitin

and lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DarkAtma
Sinister
Leviathan
Strong Bad
Brawl Pro

I don't even count Como anymore until they start attending tourneys again. lol
Massive is comparable to Phatgamer. neither travels to tourneys (though both are going to SMYM) much anymore though.

Top Bottom