• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona 64 smash tourny!

b-rex

Smash Apprentice
---------------------SUNDAY MAY 15th, 2011------------------------
----------------------------@7 PM--------------------------------
------2v2 Double Elimination && 1v1 Double Elimination-----------
--------------Buy-In: $5 per person/$10 per team-----------------
-------------**Cash Games On The Side Encouraged**---------------

26 E. Pebble Beach Dr, Tempe, AZ 85282 (Southeast corner of Southern & Mill)

Rules & Details:
Double Elimination
5 stock
No Items
Choose Your Partner
Team Attack On
All matches are Best of 3 (for both Singles and Doubles)
Grand Finals are Best of 5
All Characters OK
Banned Levels: Yoshi's Island, Planet Zebes, Sector Z, Mushroom Kingdom

Plenty of N64 Set-Ups and TVs
I plan on recording the matches on at least one of the TVs

Payout
1st Place - 70%
2nd Place - 20%
3rd Place - 10%

If there are any questions please post them here..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confirm List:
Myself
TheRealColtMaster
Dookdigity
L0gan
Matt
Buddy
AJ
G4BE
TheFool
MMZJSFMMX10MM(+3)
Isai??

and other locals...

TheRealColtMaster

Smash Apprentice
SOUNDS GOOD BEN

Count me in.

Also

-Buddy
-AJ
-Gabe
-mabye Jerry

we will all make it as long as we have good notice.

We can bring TV's and systems or whatever you all need to help host.

BTW i will send you a number you can reach me at via IM on youtube. maybe we can set some friendlies up sooner.

b-rex

Smash Apprentice
SOUNDS GOOD BEN

Count me in.

Also

-Buddy
-AJ
-Gabe
-mabye Jerry

we will all make it as long as we have good notice.

We can bring TV's and systems or whatever you all need to help host.

BTW i will send you a number you can reach me at via IM on youtube. maybe we can set some friendlies up sooner.
Nice sounds good! I texted that number you gave me, i'd be down to play tomorrow..anytime between 4 and 7 works

ballin4life

Smash Hero
OH SNAP I'm gonna be there that weekend ... just booked tickets. Dunno if I will be able to play (visiting a friend, plus I gotta leave that evening) but I'll see what's up.

edit: whoops nevermind I'm going to be in Tuscon not Tempe ... I'm dumb

b-rex

Smash Apprentice
OH SNAP I'm gonna be there that weekend ... just booked tickets. Dunno if I will be able to play (visiting a friend, plus I gotta leave that evening) but I'll see what's up.

edit: whoops nevermind I'm going to be in Tuscon not Tempe ... I'm dumb
What if the tournament was saturday not sunday? Tempe and Tucson are only 1 1/2 hours apart

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
you expect to play doubles on an actual n64? I thought that didn't work.

my potential Johns:
I'm garbage with the N64 controller
I have finals starting the next day
I may be broke and unable to afford the buy-in.

I will attempt to address these issues and will RSVP within a reasonable period.

b-rex

Smash Apprentice
you expect to play doubles on an actual n64? I thought that didn't work.
Sure it works, why wouldn't it?

All right sounds good hope you can make it. You don't have to play in both Singles and Doubles by the way so hopefully that solves the money issue

Battlecow

Play to Win
My experience is that the lag is bearable, but annoying.

Stretchnutz! Why the **** would you learn keyboard if you don't even play online? Jesus, and I thought I was dumb for being crap on console.

The Star King

Smash Hero
"I'm garbage with the N64 controller" doesn't necessarily mean he uses keyboard, bro. Maybe he normally plays with a GC controller or something?

Battlecow

Play to Win
If he plays with a diff controller, the conversion should be relatively easy. I can switch from N64 to hori to Xbox no problems even though I've barely played w/ Xbox or Hori; it's not until you try KB->N64 that you run into real problems.

Also, if you're playing VC or whatever, why not just get an N64 instead? Online is the only advantage to emu play.

TheFooL

Smash Cadet
My experience is that the lag is bearable, but annoying.

Stretchnutz! Why the **** would you learn keyboard if you don't even play online? Jesus, and I thought I was dumb for being crap on console.
Stretchnutz and I primarily use xbox 360 controllers on an emulator. We've also played on the wii using gamecube controllers and that worked out pretty well.

and doubles on 64 is incredibly laggy.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Step 1: Get an N64, two controllers, and a game.

Step 2: Play on it from now on

Step 3: Go to tournaments

Step 4: Profit!

Battlecow

Play to Win
They're two guys, you don't need savestates in SSB, GS codes are good for lulz but highly unnecessary, you don't want more controller options if you're ever going to play on console.

PWNED

And I thought you used KB? What's this GC stuff?

Battlecow

Play to Win
No, if you're gonna play on console, you don't want to "branch out" or whatever and get good on Xbox controller or what have you, so controller options are at best a minor convenience when you can't find your controller and at worst something that waters down or ****s up your console (and therefore your tournament) playstyle.

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
Online is not the only advantage to emu play. The emulator provides for better sound, better graphics, and no lag.

And the N64 controller is the worst controller since Colecovision.

Battlecow

Play to Win
*yawn*

If the N64's graphics and sound aren't good enough for you to such an extent that you abandon your chances at tourney success for whatever additional aesthetics an emu provides, then I can't come up with much sympathy for you. Do you play a lot of teams matches on your emulator? Didn't think so. N64 doesn't lag in singles. If you just can't stand the controller, you're SOL.

Or you could buy a setup and get some tourney-ready skillz in time for GENESIS.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
Idk what you guys are talking about with this laggy team nonsense on console. Yea it lags a little from time to time, but it's nowhere near the amour of lag you get playing fake smash. Also people need to suck it up and learn to play with a 64 controller if they are going to play console. Idk why everyone likes the GC controller dimming anyway the buttons are in stupid places, the triggers suck, the z button sucks, and the stick is alright, but from what I understand gets worn out and breaks.

StretchNutz

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying I can't or won't play on a real N64, I'm simply saying that it's the worst possible way to play the game. Except maybe drawing it out frame-by-frame on an etch-a-sketch with your ****.

And in my experience it doesn't "lag a little from time to time" in 2v2, it lags relentlessly and is unplayable. Granted we only tried it once, because it was thoroughly pointless to play the game at approximately 1/2 framerate.

TheFooL

Smash Cadet
By "fake smash" sharksquail, I hope you mean dressing up as the characters and acting out the fights, otherwise it is no where near the amount of lag you get from playing doubles on a 64.

Emulators are just better in every way. Different and configurable controller options. Higher resolution rendering and play, with anti-aliasing and ansiotropic filtering. Higher quality sound. Online play. Don't have to blow into the 64/cartridge if it doesn't work. Gameshark codes. The better question is obviously, why use an n64?

Top Bottom