• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Argument Against Alt Costumes

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
With the whole alt costumes idea in my opinion it'd be more akward if kirby gained Doc's headband instead of Mario's actual cap if Mario was in his doc alt costume...

His B move is a fireball, that's all that counts in the end, right? So why would it be better if kirby is throwing out the same exact fireballs......but with a doc headband on....

In my opinion it wouldn't matter if Mario was wearing a dress with jelly stains on his blouse and a huge pope hat, if Kirby doesn't get a red hat when he sucks that wierdo in, I'd be a little taken back.

As the famous Johnny Cockran said in South Park "It doesn't make any sense".

But anywho, in my opinion I really do like my idea on costumes and customization more than this. All characters could have their own default colors, but in addition could unlock accesories and junk http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=111257

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
First off, I agree I would like it if they didn't have trophies, but how about this: Instead of wasting time on worthless trophies or worthless costumes, they make MORE, REAL, CHARACTERS.
Or, they could make a color customization...

Also, a possible use for the trophies: they could give them hit detection, then allow you to align a 2d plane on them, and fight on it. This basically allows for an infinite amount of stages.
More characters would be nice, but this would be a chance for some lesser known (and maybe not even SSB worthy characters) into the franchise. Fierce Deity Link has a snowball's chance in hell to become a playable character in SSBB, but with alt. costumes, his chance of showing up increases dramatically. It'll solve the problem of "Well character X isn't important enough, so he/she can never show up in SSBB."

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
More characters would be nice, but this would be a chance for some lesser known (and maybe not even SSB worthy characters) into the franchise. Fierce Deity Link has a snowball's chance in hell to become a playable character in SSBB, but with alt. costumes, his chance of showing up increases dramatically. It'll solve the problem of "Well character X isn't important enough, so he/she can never show up in SSBB."
Isn't that what ATs are for? Plus, it would be an abomination to have FD Link as an alternate costume. He deserves to be AT, where he can do his own thang, or as Real Link's Fish.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Isn't that what ATs are for? Plus, it would be an abomination to have FD Link as an alternate costume. He deserves to be AT, where he can do his own thang, or as Real Link's Fish.
An AT would be nice, but I'd actually like to PLAY as him, not just watch him **** the screen (as funny as that would be.) And sadly, Link no get FD Link for Fish....At least as an alt costume, I could play as him theoretically, which in my opinion is better than watching him for a few moments, or even nothing at all.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
An AT would be nice, but I'd actually like to PLAY as him, not just watch him **** the screen (as funny as that would be.) And sadly, Link no get FD Link for Fish....At least as an alt costume, I could play as him theoretically, which in my opinion is better than watching him for a few moments, or even nothing at all.
But you wouldn't get to play as him if he were an alternate costume. His sword wouldn't be giant, he'd have some crazy shield, he'd use items he has no need for, he won't get the beam discs, and (for a diety) he'd be a ******. Plus the fact he'd have Link's animations, they'd probably still say "Link," and he might even use the same voice.
I'd rather see him go ape-**** on everyone, go ape-**** on everyone while I'm "playing" him, or play on top of him than play as what superficially looks like him.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
But you wouldn't get to play as him if he were an alternate costume. His sword wouldn't be giant, he'd have some crazy shield, he'd use items he has no need for, he won't get the beam discs, and (for a diety) he'd be a ******. Plus the fact he'd have Link's animations, they'd probably still say "Link," and he might even use the same voice.
I'd rather see him go ape-**** on everyone, go ape-**** on everyone while I'm "playing" him, or play on top of him than play as what superficially looks like him.
You have a point, but it would be kind of unfair and depressing to watch FD Link **** everything and think, "Man, I really wish I could play as him..." It'd be like Sakurai was taunting you...

dori.

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping for accessories a la Tekken/VF.

Character customization would be nice. If it doesn't make it into the retail press, then it can make it in as downloadable content (though I know Nintendo isn't big on that).

iMichael

Smash Lord
Ugh. I hate color swaps. That's the lazy person's way out. I want literally alt costumes. Nearly every character could benefit theoretically by alt costumes. How? Simple. More characters.

(Of course, we'd theoretically have countless clones but eh...)
I agree with you on this one man.....It would be sick if Link actually changed into the Zora outfit for LoZTP

Note: I was using Link as an example...nobody get all butt hurt about it:laugh:

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
Your Kirby point makes sense to me alot. It would be silly to see a Doc hat if you suck up Mario @.@

Me, personally, think that Alt costumes and add-ons is really useless. Sure, other fighting games have them, but this game isn't your typical fighting game. Keep to palette swaps and add color edits.

The main reason why I don't think there should be alt costumes for people is that if the character isn't important, then they should be an AT or a clone. Think about it, making Doc an alt costume for Mario is even MORE lazy than making him an AT or a clone.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Your Kirby point makes sense to me alot. it would be silly to see a Doc hat if you suck up Mario @.@

Me, personally, think that the Alt costumes and add-ons is really useless. Sure, other fighting games have them, but this game isn't your typical fighting game.

One reason why I don't think there should be alt costumes for people is that if the character isn't important, then they should be an AT or a clone. Think about it, making Doc an alt costume for Mario is even MORE lazy than making him a clone.
Some people hate clones. CLONES

Some people would hate it if they could only watch the character they wanted to play as. AT

Alt. Costumes would give some people the chance of playing the characters they want, without the others complaining about clones taking up space. Recolors is the hight of laziness.

gamelover15

Smash Apprentice
Some people hate clones. CLONES

Some people would hate it if they could only watch the character they wanted to play as. AT

Alt. Costumes would give some people the chance of playing the characters they want, without the others complaining about clones taking up space. Recolors is the hight of laziness.
If you hate clones, then you would be happy to see you character as an AT.

If you hate ATs, then you would be happy to see them as a clone.

If you hate both, then accept that your character maybe a clone, AT, or not in the game.

Palette swaps maybe lazy, but the only characters that would get Alt Costumes are those you have different costumes. Most (Maybe All) Nintendo characters have the same look through out their series.

There would be no reason for characters as Alt Costumes because of 4 reasons:
1. The option of Clones
2. The option of ATs
3. Kirby's Hats. If they want a real game, then it needs to be realistic. (Mario=M Hat)
4. No two characters are that alike to be an Alt Costumes. Doc is a spin-off of Mario. They are not the same characters. Take a look at their games.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
First of all Plusle and Minun will NEVER make it in and second of all it would be really easy for them to do the stuff with kirby and it wouldn't take up much more space really. His hats are small files.

WR3K

Smash Ace
wow you are really narrow minded......
it doesnt matter what their costumes are, kirby gets whatever the main aspect of that character is

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
What WR3K said. The only big problem here is if you are somehow annoyed if Kirby gains features from Mario's main outfit even if he's in Dr. Mario clothing. Which is a pretty minor thing. I think the benefits outweigh that problem. >_>

_Slick_

Smash Ace
I'm 100% on Alt. Costumes but it's going to be hard with Kirby. You have a very good point.

But they could always change the Kirby costume. I mean perhaps when Kirby swallows Wario he could get the nost of Wario.

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
Who cares if Kirby dosnt get the right whatever on his head. Suck up a Pink luigi, get a Green hat. Suck up a No hat luigi, get a green hat and get over it.

(And Phear teh George Zimmer...Phear him.)

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
Dude, I'd watch out how you talk to him, He is THE George Zimmer...

And furthermore, how will kirby be handeling the swallowing of Reds pokemon? Thats three choices!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^That's going to be interesting to say the least. What happens if you Kirbycide with them? How will Red get his pokemon back?

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Same thing exists in Melee. If Kirby sucks up a different colored Sheik, he still gets the same bandaged costume. That incongruity is a sacrifice I'm willing to make for alt costumes.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
This topic is so useless. Of course there's going to be alternate costumes. They had them in the previous games, and many people didn't complain. They didn't even care. I think many people actually like the alternate costumes. Since it looks like this has been happening for a while now, Brawl's going to have alternate costumes. There, I've said it and so have other people as well.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
Dude, I'd watch out how you talk to him, He is THE George Zimmer...

And furthermore, how will kirby be handeling the swallowing of Reds pokemon? Thats three choices!
The same way as Shiek in Zelda... thats a no brainer....

Kayn

Smash Cadet
You have a point, but it would be kind of unfair and depressing to watch FD Link **** everything and think, "Man, I really wish I could play as him..." It'd be like Sakurai was taunting you...
Dude, ok, so you can have all the characters in the world but when the day is done your going to pick one character to main and use him most the time while all the other effin characters are going to collect dust. I never use link. I main marth in melee. I also never use mario, mewtwo, DK, ect. ect. so why would you want more characters when your not going to use them? there is a certain point where it is too much. I'd much rather have alt. costumes or better yet AT instead that way I can still use my main but have more features for him(alt costume).

cazoup

Smash Apprentice
But in melee when kirby sucked in lets say mario but the person who chose mario made him into a diff color kirby still got the red hat.... so y complain now and not befor does it realy matter?

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I respect him for the fact that hes facing the truth against something that he wants..

Unlike the Waluigi supporters.... I keed I keed... Or do I?

But I too would like to see alternate costumes but don't really envision it happening.. I don't know, I'll hope for it anyway.

Odlanier

Smash Apprentice
Too lazy to see if someone else brought this up- when Kirby absorbed Zelda, he got Zelda's childhood headdress. She was not wearing this at the time.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Zelda's non-existant headdress that kirby gains after swallowing her laughs in the face of the topic starter. Oh? What's this? It seems that Peach's "Daisy" outfit has also joined in the laughter!

Top Bottom