• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you happy that Dark Pit made it in?

Are you happy Dark Pit is in Smash 4?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Here's my view on Dark Pit:

I honestly expected Dark Pit to play some role in Super Smash Bros, whether it was as his own character, or as a background character/stage boss. And as I have played KI Uprising, Dark Pit is a character that I like, and didn't see any problem with fitting into Smash, since Sakurai made both games.

I'm happy that he's in the game, though I do think that it would have been cooler if he used more weapons that the Kid Icarus series has in its armoury, such as his staff or a blade. I see no problem with his addition, and I think that sooner or later, in both the competitive scene and in the general community, people will eventually warm to Dark Pit. Who knows, he could potentially be Luigified in future games and suddenly do something random for his side special. :p:4darkpit:

(Also, I enjoy playing as Dark Pit; even though he's got all of Pit's moves. Some of them would actually be more fitting for Dark Pit to use, like the Forward-tilt and Up-tilt)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Not really but who cares...though I honestly would've preferred Hades or even Phosphora over Dark Pit but I'm not gonna make such a big deal over this clone business anyways so if he's in, then he's in.

AndersAnimated

Smash Rookie
Literal tears when this character got announced.
Not a terrible roster but definitely a tad bit underwhelming. I'm sure people were expecting a crap ton more from Sakurai.
Still playing the hell out of SSB4, honestly.
What can you do? AY

Espio264

Smash Ace
Changing a color scheme:

Doesn't make Fox into Falco.
Doesn't make Marth into Lucina.
Doesn't make Link into Toon Link.
Doesn't make Ness into Lucas.
Doesn't make CF into Ganondorf.

But it does give us Dark Pit from Pit.

The roster would have received less flack if it had one less character - Dark Pit - even with all of the cuts and snubs.

He didn't take anyone else's slot, but he NEVER deserved his own.
His model looks great, but it doesn't change the fact that he was a terrible decision that contradicts other decisions within the roster.

... and I only let Doc skate by on the fact that he's a veteran.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Lucina and Marth differences? No tipper. Otherwise, there are just a couple of differences in attack speed.

Pit and Dark Pit differences? DP is a little faster in the air, and Pit on land from the footage I've seen.

Why weren't people crying when Lucina got announced? Would it be okay if they changed DP's model a little?

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Why weren't people crying when Lucina got announced? Would it be okay if they changed DP's model a little?
They were. People wanted Lucina to not be a Marth clone but she ended up being designed as one. Total waste of potential by Nintendo, but there's nothing we can do.

Nobody wants clones to take slots away from independent characters. Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina could have just been alt costumes really, if this is all they wanted to do with them. Really puts people off when they decide to handle their time this way.

Last edited:

kro_

Smash Apprentice
They were. People wanted Lucina to not be a Marth clone but she ended up being designed as one. Total waste of potential by Nintendo, but there's nothing we can do.

Nobody wants clones to take slots away from independent characters. Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina could have just been alt costumes really, if this is all they wanted to do with them. Really puts people off when they decide to handle their time this way.
Clones don't steal slots. They don't take up slots. They didn't ask themselves "should we add this character or this character", they probably wouldn't add Takamaru or Ashley regardless of whether Lucina or Dark Pit got their own slot or not. That's just not how characters work. If they wanted to add a character, they would, not because they had to pick and choose.

Also, clones take much less time to make than actual characters. People against clones should at least be glad they weren't pouring too much effort into the clones.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Considering Dark Pit's presentation and Lucina's presentation in their respective trailers (well, not exactly "their"...) I'm pretty sure we can assume that Dark Pit was considered with his own slot AFTER E3 2014. Why teasing a newcommer, by showing him entirely but without gameplay?

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Clones don't steal slots. They don't take up slots. They didn't ask themselves "should we add this character or this character", they probably wouldn't add Takamaru or Ashley regardless of whether Lucina or Dark Pit got their own slot or not. That's just not how characters work. If they wanted to add a character, they would, not because they had to pick and choose.

Also, clones take much less time to make than actual characters. People against clones should at least be glad they weren't pouring too much effort into the clones.
Clones take resources to make like any other character. For all that they're worth, the models could have been thrown into the alt costume group and the rest of the time and effort could be put into something interesting and worthwhile.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Does no one remember what I told you all?
Honestly, think of this; Dark Pit is not a true clone; he's a semi-clone of Pit. Sure, he may have most of Pit's moves and movements, though there are still various changes between them that make him a semi-clone like Doc:

-Dark Pit is a heavier, though more aerodynamic character compared to Pit.
-Dark Pit has the Electroshock Arm as his side special.
-His attacks are more powerful on some.
-A different Final Smash for Dark Pit.

I know there's a crap load more of things the character has, and these are just the highlights. Who cares if DP, Lucina and Doc are clones? No one complained about Falco or Ganondorf being clone-like in Brawl nearly as much, and there were little complaints over the Clones in Melee.

Plus, I think the reason DP and Lucina are getting **** on is because they're much easier-to-use and better characters than their counterparts. (Let's be honest, the two will dominate the air space compared to their counterparts, and probably be better tier wise)

Spatman

Smash Ace
there are reasons for the existence as clones for all characters, i think:
dark pit can't use the three sacred treasures (i didn't play uprising, but i guess it is so), so he needed a different FS
dr mario can't use FLUDD (why a doctor should use an item like that?)
lucina didn't need a different mechanic from tipper, but it's an enjoyed difference from marth (even if in this way lucina seems a way better than her original counterpart)

Sakurai said if a character has at least one move different, he/she can't be an alt skin, and so must be a clone

I don't like dark pit so much, but he's better than nothing, i suppose. But! this thought can't be employed too many times, otherwise the roster would lose internal stability. For this reason i appreciate alph, the koopalings (of course), "dark link" and the various samus' suits are alt skins and not other clones

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I wasn't at first, then I played Uprising a few days ago and i'm pumped for him. He seems like a pretty cool character. Is he completely original? Definitely not, but does he have a good playstyle that's slightly different than others? Yes, and that's how I judge how worthy a character is to get in, just like Doctor Mario and Lucina, if he has even the slightest of changes he's good to go.

Things change, and my opinion did just that. I'm very happy about him.

D

Deleted member

I'm loving this. I thought he was in as soon as I saw this picture:

In fact, this picture provides more insight to the roster. Charizard is alone in the picture. He is alone in SSB4. Also, Bowser stands upright here. It would appear that Sakurai planned for Dark Pit to be a clone. As in: "Hey if we have any extra development time, lets add in Dark Pit!" Since I'm gonna main him, I'm pretty stoked.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Clones take resources to make like any other character. For all that they're worth, the models could have been thrown into the alt costume group and the rest of the time and effort could be put into something interesting and worthwhile.
Wrong.

With a character like Mega Man or Rosalina, loads of planning and designing was made on how those characters would play, what sort of moves would they have and so on. Then, making the animations and implementing the moveset.

With characters like Dr. Mario and Dark Pit, all that was done was to take an existing character and edit it with new animations, a few new moves and little more.

Sakurai stated in Melee that the time he took to make the 6 clones (Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Young Link, Falco, Pichu and Roy), he and his team could have only designed one entirely new character.

This time, they only had time for 3 extra characters.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
All this talking about how Dark Pit didn't take anyone's slot - I agree.

But he did take resources. He still took resources that could've been spent elsewhere.

Adding more characters just to increase the roster size, when they don't add much to the game (i.e. clones), doesn't necessarily make the roster better. It's better for every character to be considered a valuable addition rather than last minute filler. There's a reason movies have editing, and it's not because more is always better. Especially considering that there's custom moves and equipment in the game! That makes clones even less interesting. Yeah, they have features that aren't affected by that - Dr. Mario's Pills and especially Dr. Tornado, Lucina's different sword mechanic. Dark Pit... actually doesn't have anything really different except his Final Smash, which is basically the least important part of a move set.

You know what I would've preferred the resources for Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario be spent on?

- Bringing back a veteran (while clones are less work than newcomers, bringing back veterans is also less work)
- More significant decloning of Ganondorf, Falco and Toon Link
- Adding Battlefield forms to stages in addition to Final Destination forms (or instead of FD forms for some stages). Making them part of For Glory mode.
- Other tweaks to veterans along the lines of Link and DK's new dash attacks
- Additional alt costumes (possibilities include Impa, Mr. L, OoT Ganondorf, Proto Man, Skyward Sword Zelda, Outset Link...), possibly including changing certain palettes swaps into full costumes (Fierce Deity Link, SS Link, Light Suit Samus, Fusion Suit Samus, Daisy, etc.). Leaving the clones as alt costumes, of course.
- Improved game play balance
- Other content like ATs for underrepresented franchises such as DK

Thinking we could've gotten Ridley, K Rool, Isaac, unique Dixie Kong, or whoever instead of them, even all three of them, is likely incorrect. But there are definitely things we could've gotten instead. They weren't free, and some of those changes would've been possible.

Especially the decloning would've been good and definitely would've been possible with the same amount of resources (in case you think another veteran would be too much work). It would've made it seem like every character was lovingly crafted - instead of getting last-minute filler and clone veterans that are still clones. And in Ganondorf's case, still bear little resemblance to the actual character. Every roster slot being a winner is better than getting more slots, but several of them seeming like lazy/minimal effort additions. Better that people wish for more rather than better.
Ridley himself is a highly requested character, but [I assume based on nothing] the number of people who'd actually play as him outside of Metroid fans is basically zero [because despite defending Dark Pit as likely to win people over with game play differences, this does not apply to Ridley].
Fixed that for you.

Yeah, only Metroid fans are interested in playing as bad-ass purple space dragons. Ridley's not at all appealing to anyone else :rolleyes:

And unique move sets interest people far less than clone move sets which might create an interestingly different play style.

So people are gonna grow to love Dark Pit, but nobody would play Ridley because reasons.

Ridley has no fans outside of Metroid die-hards, but Dark Pit will be beloved by the wider audience, because casuals love getting literally the same character* twice (because of how much they value slightly different game play over totally different flavor). Also we're going to ignore the fact that Metroid is a much larger series.

C'mon man, you could be a bit less blatantly biased.

*Yeah, he's not literally the same character. But outside of Kid Icarus fans, that's what he looks like. You wanna bring up casuals who don't know who Ridley are, then casuals who see Dark Pit as Palette Swap Pit who gets his own slot for some reason are just as relevant. I'm sure that Lucina and to a lesser extent Dr. Mario will be better received than Dark Pit among casuals because Lucina is actually a different character, and Dr. Mario actually looks different and has more significant move set differences.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

But he did take resources. He still took resources that could've been spent elsewhere.

Adding more characters just to increase the roster size, when they don't add much to the game (i.e. clones), doesn't necessarily make the roster better. It's better for every character to be considered a valuable addition rather than last minute filler. There's a reason movies have editing, and it's not because more is always better. Especially considering that there's custom moves and equipment in the game! That makes clones even less interesting. Yeah, they have features that aren't affected by that - Dr. Mario's Pills and especially Dr. Tornado, Lucina's different sword mechanic. Dark Pit... actually doesn't have anything really different except his Final Smash, which is basically the least important part of a move set.

You know what I would've preferred the resources for Dark Pit, Lucina and Dr. Mario be spent on?

- Bringing back a veteran (while clones are less work than newcomers, bringing back veterans is also less work)
- Adding Battlefield forms to stages in addition to Final Destination forms (or instead of FD forms for some stages). Making them part of For Glory mode.
- Additional alt costumes (possibilities include Impa, Mr. L, OoT Ganondorf, Proto Man, Skyward Sword Zelda, Outset Link...), possibly including changing certain palettes swaps into full costumes (Fierce Deity Link, SS Link, Light Suit Samus, Fusion Suit Samus, Daisy, etc.). Leaving the clones as alt costumes, of course.

Thinking we could've gotten Ridley, K Rool, Isaac, unique Dixie Kong, or whoever instead of them, even all three of them, is likely incorrect. But there are definitely things we could've gotten instead. They weren't free, and some of those changes would've been possible.

Especially the decloning would've been good and definitely would've been possible with the same amount of resources (in case you think another veteran would be too much work). It would've made it seem like every character was lovingly crafted - instead of getting last-minute filler and clone veterans that are still clones. And in Ganondorf's case, still bear little resemblance to the actual character. Every roster slot being a winner is better than getting more slots, but several of them seeming like lazy/minimal effort additions. Better that people wish for more rather than better.
Fixed that for you.

Yeah, only Metroid fans are interested in playing as bad-*** purple space dragons. Ridley's not at all appealing to anyone else :rolleyes:

And unique move sets interest people far less than clone move sets which might create an interestingly different play style.

So people are gonna grow to love Dark Pit, but nobody would play Ridley because reasons.

Ridley has no fans outside of Metroid die-hards, but Dark Pit will be beloved by the wider audience, because casuals love getting literally the same character* twice (because of how much they value slightly different game play over totally different flavor). Also we're going to ignore the fact that Metroid is a much larger series.

*Yeah, he's not literally the same character. But outside of Kid Icarus fans, that's what he looks like. You wanna bring up casuals who don't know who Ridley are, then casuals who see Dark Pit as Palette Swap Pit who gets his own slot for some reason are just as relevant. I'm sure that Lucina and to a lesser extent Dr. Mario will be better received than Dark Pit among casuals because Lucina is actually a different character, and Dr. Mario actually looks different and has more significant move set differences.
Yes, they could of added something else. But why not add more characters? Why is it so bad a character got in over a costume?

Ganondorf is an interesting situation. He is most certainly Sakurai's favorite character to play as in Melee and Brawl, so that's probably why he hasn't been significantly changed.

My proof is the game itself, remember? Sakurai has said time and time again that it's about adding characters that people want to play as, not repping franchises. If that many people wanted to play as Ridley over *insert unpopular nonclone character here*, he'd be in by now. That's just how it works.

You're talking what I've said of of context. I didn't say that people would magically warm up to DP, but that his fanbase will actually be aware of his inclusion soon. I can safely say that Ridley isn't as popular as you think.

If you'd actually check Miiverse, it'd be apparent that Dr. Mario is the least liked of the three. Yaknow, being a clone of who's widely seen as a boring character. They don't really care about looks, and are familiar enough with the whole "evil twin" trope to understand he's a different character, with a different voice helping with that. (Before you say that it's the same VA, well, it is. But there's people who to the day are convinced he's voiced by somebody completely different. The average person wouldn't be able to tell.)

kro_

Smash Apprentice
I'll say this again: They likely won't drop a character because they're adding another one instead. Ridley would never be a playable character if he's not in, and he's not. If they had more content to add in the game, they could delay it or release it as free DLC.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman

Fixed that for you.

Yeah, only Metroid fans are interested in playing as bad-*** purple space dragons. Ridley's not at all appealing to anyone else :rolleyes:

that is simply incorrect.
edit: to make t clear i mean by that the ridley part.

Last edited:

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
I'll say this again: They likely won't drop a character because they're adding another one instead. Ridley would never be a playable character if he's not in, and he's not. If they had more content to add in the game, they could delay it or release it as free DLC.
I'm thinking that they'll just throw those characters in the Wii U version.

LuffyLink

Smash Apprentice
I'm so happy that he's in the game and I was disapointed that he's a clone but now I don't care! :4darkpit:
And the guys who says "Dark Pit's final smash is the same as Zelda/Sheik ... What a shame" look at Charizard's Final Smash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQmd_uaGNBw I love it but ...
It's pretty similar to :4yoshi:Final Smash huh?!

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
At first, I wasn't sure how I should feel when Dark Pit was confirmed to be in the game. Kid Icarus: Uprising was one of my favourite games on the 3DS and Dark Pit was a pretty cool character IMO. I honestly never expected Dark Pit to be in the game given Palutena's inclusion but then again, I should have seen this coming since the Kirby series got 2 new characters in Brawl with King Dedede and Meta Knight. I will say this. I wasn't outraged like everyone else, calling him a waste of space, a stupid clone character or slinging insults at Sakurai for his supposed "bias" towards his characters. But I wasn't sure how I was suppose to feel because I knew little to nothing about how he would play and what kind of changes he would get from Pit. Pit was one of my mains in Brawl so it was going to be interesting to see how Dark Pit compared to him.

After watching various streams on Twitch and Youtube videos, I can safely say I am happy Dark Pit is in the game. I'm probably one of the few people in existence that thinks this way but I've always been the kind of person to go against the grain when it came to popular opinions. Not only does he have his own unique taunts, victory animations and FS(for the most part) but he's apparently stronger than Pit, along with various other small differences here and there. I'm excited to play with him and see if I like him better than Pit.

As someone who absolutely LOVED the inclusion on Lucina, regardless of the fact that she's a clone of Marth, it would be VERY hypocritical for my to say that he shouldn't be in the game simply because he's a clone. I'm not sure if anyone wanted him to be in the game, I never expected him to make an appearance except for maybe a boss appearance or alt skin for Pit, but I'm glad he's a character regardless. It's not like he took the spot of someone else more deserving or took up development time for a new comer or returning veteran. Clone character's are merely extra's to pad out the roster, that's it. Complain, whine, moan about his inclusion all you want, I'm going to enjoy playing as him and shame some people online who more than likely hate his very existence :p

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Yes, they could of added something else. But why not add more characters? Why is it so bad a character got in over a costume?
Read my post again, because I said why.

Because of precisely the reaction you see now. Because adding more content is not automatically better. Adding lazy, last-minute content instead of refining the existing content is not better.

It's the same reason why editors cut down the length of movies and books. Because people will enjoy it more if everything is well-done than if there's just more for the sake of more.
My proof is the game itself, remember? Sakurai has said time and time again that it's about adding characters that people want to play as, not repping franchises. If that many people wanted to play as Ridley over *insert unpopular nonclone character here*, he'd be in by now. That's just how it works.
That's not evidence.

That's just saying you have faith in Sakurai. Other people are saying that Sakurai made a bad decision. Your response is "No, because Sakurai made this decision, it must be correct."

Yeah, sorry, that's a dumb argument.

that is simply incorrect.
edit: to make t clear i mean by that the ridley part.
You quoted my whole post. You're going to have to be a bit more specific about what you think is incorrect.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I'm so happy that he's in the game and I was disapointed that he's a clone but now I don't care! :4darkpit:
And the guys who says "Dark Pit's final smash is the same as Zelda/Sheik ... What a shame" look at Charizard's Final Smash:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQmd_uaGNBw I love it but ...
It's pretty similar to :4yoshi:Final Smash huh?!
Is Charizard a clone of Yoshi in general... No Dark Pit is a clone through and through at least the Doc (who has now somehow grown on me :4drmario:) has Mario's old move-set if Dark pit had the Brawl pit move-set I would main him in an instant.

Chrono.

Eh, he gets a pass.

I'm still waiting for some confirmation on how he differs from Pit (other than his Side-B and his arrows). I keep seeing way too much scattered info and no concrete stuff on it.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
I'd have preferred him to use different specials, but hey, I'll probably play him, he seems cool. I'm thinking it'll be like the Mario/Doc situation in Melee where one will be better than the other. The salt is real in this thread, though. The way I see it is clones are extra content. Bonus material. Gravy. Take it or ignore it, it's in the game. I'm pro-Dark Pit.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Read my post again, because I said why.

Because of precisely the reaction you see now. Because adding more content is not automatically better. Adding lazy, last-minute content instead of refining the existing content is not better.

It's the same reason why editors cut down the length of movies and books. Because people will enjoy it more if everything is well-done than if there's just more for the sake of more.
That's not evidence.

That's just saying you have faith in Sakurai. Other people are saying that Sakurai made a bad decision. Your response is "No, because Sakurai made this decision, it must be correct."

Yeah, sorry, that's a dumb argument.

You quoted my whole post. You're going to have to be a bit more specific about what you think is incorrect.
So you basically just want to cut the clones because of some arbitrary feeling that they make the game incomplete? That's hardly something to argue. It's an opinion held by very few people.

Try asking any level-headed character-that-didn't-make-the-cut fanbase what they think of the idea. You can even see it within series represented in SSB. Rosalina and Jr. over Toad and Waluigi, or even ZSS over Ridley. (Sakurai has always counted ZSS as her own character by the way.) It always has, and always will be, overall popularity over individual requests.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Reading this thread, his inclusion was worth it for the salt alone.
:rolleyes:

Have fun playing Ice Climbers as your main.
So you basically just want to cut the clones because of some arbitrary feeling that they make the game incomplete? That's hardly something to argue. It's an opinion held by very few people.
It's not an arbitrary feeling. Clones do feel lazier than full characters. They were less effort. It's like if they put four more Mario Kart courses in - but they are just the same stages but with different colors and boosts in different places. I don't think that would make Mario Kart better, even though it would introduce more variety and pad the course list. Do you really think that would make people like Mario Kart more, or do you think they would be annoyed at how lazy the courses were instead? Do you think it would be "arbitrary" for people not to be enamored of these additional "bonus" courses? Or do you think their time would've been better spent improving other aspects of the game?

And yeah, if you ask most people if they would prefer clones to nothing, they'd pick clones. But if the question is improving specific other aspects of the game or getting clones to pad the roster, taking into account the fact that custom moves already fulfill a large part of the purpose of clones, the answer might be different.
Try asking any level-headed character-that-didn't-make-the-cut fanbase what they think of the idea.
Why don't you, instead of claiming to know what everyone thinks based on your own opinions.
You can even see it within series represented in SSB. Rosalina and Jr. over Toad and Waluigi, or even ZSS over Ridley. (Sakurai has always counted ZSS as her own character by the way.) It always has, and always will be, overall popularity over individual requests.
The problem is that you don't actually know whether it's that, you're just assuming that they're more popular because Sakurai picked them. Because your whole argument is that Sakurai doesn't make mistakes, therefore his choices are correct.

What is your evidence for ZSS being more popular than Ridley... other than the fact Sakurai picked her? Cuz I haven't seen you actually use anything else as evidence.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Off topic and borderline baiting
:rolleyes:

Have fun playing Ice Climbers as your main.
It's not an arbitrary feeling.

And yeah, if you ask most people if they would prefer clones to nothing, that's what they'd pick. But if the question is improving specific other aspects of the game or getting clones to pad the roster, taking into account the fact that custom moves already fulfill a large part of the purpose of clones, the answer might be different.
Why don't you, instead of claiming to know what everyone thinks based on your own opinions.
The problem is that you don't actually know whether it's that, you're just assuming that they're more popular because Sakurai picked them. Because your whole argument is that Sakurai doesn't make mistakes, therefore his choices are correct.

What is your evidence for ZSS being more popular than Ridley... other than the fact Sakurai picked her? Cuz I haven't seen you actually use anything else as evidence.
Gane development doesn't work like that. Separate people work on the different aspects of the game with minimal overlap. I've known this for years. Isn't this kinda just general knowledge? The point is that cutting the clones would do very little for other aspects of the game. If anything, I'd say the only reason you're attempting this angle is because you want to see some legitimate downside to adding clones when there really isn't.

I have, smart guy.

My argument is that Sakurai bases his choices on general popularity over requests. I've said this how many times now? Just look at Rosalina again. She had very few requests until her SM3DW announcement, especially compared to older characters like Toad and Waluigi, but she got in over both. Palutena over Medusa, Warioware over Wario Land, Marth over Sigurd, and Pac-Man over Lyoid are just some examples from over the years. Look around you, it's always been like this.

ZSS over Ridley is just another example, really. People don't see Ridley and think "Metroid sure looks fun!", it's Samus.

Dark Pit should have been a named alt, like Alph and the Koopalings.
Gee, that empty spot sure looks nice.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, apparently, 55% of people hate him :)

http://i.imgur.com/oOrpdMR.png
*55% of people who answered the poll.

Even assuming it's a Smashboards based poll, the results are still very askew for the unconfirmed characters. What's the point in only asking those that are here now, when many more still have to arrive? The results will be outdated when the remaining characters get proper reveals.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
*55% of people who answered the poll.

Even assuming it's a Smashboards based poll, the results are still very askew for the unconfirmed characters. What's the point in only asking those that are here now, when many more still have to arrive? The results will be outdated when the remaining characters get proper reveals.
14,000 + is a huge number to draw from, especially when the only characters he was compared to was newcomers.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Gane development doesn't work like that. Separate people work on the different aspects of the game with minimal overlap. I've known this for years. Isn't this kinda just general knowledge? The point is that cutting the clones would do very little for other aspects of the game. If anything, I'd say the only reason you're attempting this angle is because you want to see some legitimate downside to adding clones when there really isn't.
Look back at my post, and look at the list of things I said I would have preferred.

Now come back and act like none of them would've been possible with the same people.

Yeah, they can't work on decloning veterans with the same people who work on clones, there's no overlap there :psycho:
I have, smart guy.
1. You need to be clearer about what you're responding to.
2. Then show it.
My argument is that Sakurai bases his choices on general popularity over requests. I've said this how many times now?
That's not an argument. That's an assertion. Look up the difference. And backing it up with more unsupported assertions doesn't turn it into a well-formed argument either. The facts are that 1. Sakurai has explicitly said that he doesn't just use popularity to make his decisions and 2. Sakurai has specifically solicited character requests in the past. But regardless of how he makes his choices, that doesn't make them automatically the correct choices anyway, so your argument doesn't even prove what you want it to.

As for the ZSS-Ridley thing... You'd need to, you know, actually show that Ridley is less popular than Zero-Suit Samus. Just saying Samus is more popular doesn't really show that. Not to mention the fact that adding a second version of the same character is not going to be equivalent to adding a first version.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Smash Cadet
Is Duck Hunt really a highly popular and requested choice? I see people saying Sakurai picks characters based off popularity, but I have not once, ever, on any website by any person, see someone say "I wish the Duck Hunt dog got in the new Smash Bros.! He's my favorite Nintendo character ever!"

While being popular defintiely gets you a benefit, I think Sakurai just does whatever the hell he wants whether it's popular or not. Remember tripping, and how many people wanted tha in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom