• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are YOU going to change what your buttons do?

CrenTIScO

Smash Apprentice
Following tonight's update, many questions ran through my mind. The most prominent of which being:

Will I change my control scheme on my Gamecube controller?

Will any control scheme you want be allowed in tournaments?

I'm trying to figure out how, if possible, I will change my control scheme to my advantage, for I have become extremely used to the control scheme I have been using for years.

What do you think?

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I doubt I will, though I'm all for turning off tap jump. I've always hated that.

It depends on the controller. Gamecube I'll leave as is. Classic I'll probably try to map movement to the d-pad. Wiimote and Nunchuk will require the most experimenting... Nunchuk control looks plain awful. I can't even begin to imagine playing with that.

Zanibas

Smash Cadet
I might experiment around with it, just to see if there is anything that can be made to "streamline" certain strategies, but I'd just stick to the classic set-up.

And this is of course going to be allowed in tournies, just because it helps the certain player achieve a streamlined attack strategy.

BUT, most people are going to be sticking to the classic style, just because they've been used to it for years =P

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'll probably try every method except maybe the classic controller, because I don't have one (and don't need one right now), but I'm sure I'll stick to my lovely Gamecube controller. ^^

And I'll change this:

Tap Jump: Off (Yay!)

And then maybe one of the X and Y buttons to something else that I can't think of right now, maybe shield?

EDIT: Now that I looked at my Gamecube controller... I'd probably change Y to grab...but I'm not sure about that. When the game comes out I'll have to try and see what works best ^^

i rise

Smash Apprentice
i think changing shield to Y could possibly be useful for me considering i never use the button at all. i really am still super excited about the turn off tap to jump thing. it was one of my top 3 non-character related wants in brawl.

i also don't think it'd make sense to ban custom controls. it's not like actual controller mods or anything.

TheCanuck75

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much just as everyone has said, I am so glad the tap jump can be turned off. I will be doing this.

And I see myself changing the control configs a bit. I don't really need two jump buttons.... It should be fun to see if it would help to change the button layout to see if I can find something better.

I don't see why people are being negative to the nunchuk controls if they haven't even played with it yet. I always love people that judge something and decide to not do something before they have even tried it. I cannot wait to try the nunchuk controls out. As much as I love the though of having traditional smash controls I also would like to try somehting new.

CrenTIScO

Smash Apprentice
I just thought of something: I have heard that the B button being used to shield in sideways Wiimote configuration is awkward, so if I ever find myself without a gamecube controller and wanting to play smash, I'll probably make the 2 button into shield, and B button special.

user_name

Smash Apprentice
Im still wondering how much flexibility we're getting with motion control. Id love to do a near-fully motion controlled wiimote configuration, not for serious play, but just to mess around with.

Bailheit

Smash Rookie
Using anything but the GC controller seems difficult and clunky so I'll just stick to classical SSBM controls so I don't throw off my rythem.....but regarding the tap jump I actually found it useful in most cases

CLRX

Smash Rookie
im goin to change every botton to special so i can get perfect down bs
lol jk
id prolly make r taunt and turn the dircetionals to specials

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I think my initial impression on the nunchuk was thrown off by how it feels like they forced themselves to map something to absolutely every button.

I remember reading about Prime 3, and how they decided against mapping a beam switch to the d-pad because of how awkward it was to hit different directions during combat. I recalled the same thing upon seeing this setup.

However I just noticed that jump and shield are on other, much easier to hit buttons anyway. Along with grab being awkward on A+B, it's also on down on the d-pad which is the easiest to hit during combat (again, they mapped missiles to this in Prime 3).

It still looks a little awkward to me, but not as much as my first glance.

D

Deleted member

I will use the Wiimote and Nunchuck. I will have jumping by pressing up on the analog stick disabled. I'm not sure if I will have motion-based smashes enabled, it all depends on how well it works. I will likely tweak the original button configuration to something different.

I always hated Melee's controls and I love the GameCube controller but it still doesn't feel right for Smash to me. Wiimote and Nunchuck seems like my best option but if I could pick absolutely anything I would just hook my N64 controller up to the Wii...too bad I can't. :(

Blackadder

Smash Master
I will never change my controls!
I shall be firm in my love for the GC layout!

I will not subcom to the evils of different play!
I WILL NOT FALL!

Maben

Smash Journeyman
I might actually change R to grab instead of Z. I always use L to roll/dodge and the Z button always felt weird to me on the GC controller so I'll try that, although it might be even weirder with it mapped to a pressure-sensitive button. I could also try putting grab on the X button maybe...

Betrayed

Smash Ace
I'll turn tap jump off for my GCN controller for sure. I MIGHT change some things around depending on my character.

IE, in Melee I would make the controllers easier to waveshine and SHDL.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
GameCube Controls
Tap Jump: OFF

A: Attack
B: Special
Y: Jump
X: Shield

Reasons:
I like most everyone else hates the Tap Jump... I also hate using the R Trigger or Z Button to Shield, so it is naturally moved next to the A Button... Since I normally use Y to Jump, and that using it to Jump is natural since it was above the other three face buttons, the X Button was my choice for the Shield.

Zek

Smash Ace
I'll definitely be turning Tap Jump off on the Cube controller. Been wanting that for years. Beyond that the only other change I definitely want to make is Grab - I despise the Z trigger so I'll probably rebind it to L and/or Y. That'll probably do it, I'll come up with something good for the other schemes for the hell of it though I doubt I'll play with them.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Following tonight's update, many questions ran through my mind. The most prominent of which being:

Will I change my control scheme on my Gamecube controller?

Will any control scheme you want be allowed in tournaments?

I'm trying to figure out how, if possible, I will change my control scheme to my advantage, for I have become extremely used to the control scheme I have been using for years.

What do you think?
I'd assume that custom control schemes are allowed. And I will prob use the nuchuck. I'll change a few things. I'll change down on the D-pad to jump and C to grab. oh and i'll turn off tap jump

Illyasvel

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if the "Cross" (not sure how is it called) in the Wiimote + Nunchuk controller can be changed to C-stick functions, instead of having < and > to grab, or ^ to jump, to do the C-stick functions. Cause I really cannot imagine myself having to extend one of my fingers to jump. I rather have tap jump, thanks =/ I'm really looking forward to what is posted above, else I'm afraid I'll stick to GCN controller, cause if I can't up-tilt with Zelda normally.... just no <_<

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
IT's decided:

B = Left
A = down
X = Right
Y = UP

OWN3D, now you can own someone while being upside down!

DiabolicScheme

Smash Rookie
I was thinking about this after seeing the update, and I really can't think of anything I would want to change.. except turning off tap jump. It's great that they're covering all bases by letting you do this, but I don't find it entirely necessary seeing as how the controls are tuned quite well as it is.

P.S. After seeing this update I'm actually kind of excited about nunchuck/wii config.. it just looks really comfortable and easy to use. Who knows.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I'm kind of afraid to make changes, but I will definatly turn off the Tap Jump function.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
The only change I am thinking of is reassigning grab to the low D pad on the nunchuck control.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Jumping with the Control Stick is a bit of a pain if you're trying to do a u-tilt. Turning that setting off would make things easier for players trying to do strong attacks.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if the "Cross" (not sure how is it called) in the Wiimote + Nunchuk controller can be changed to C-stick functions, instead of having < and > to grab, or ^ to jump, to do the C-stick functions. Cause I really cannot imagine myself having to extend one of my fingers to jump. I rather have tap jump, thanks =/ I'm really looking forward to what is posted above, else I'm afraid I'll stick to GCN controller, cause if I can't up-tilt with Zelda normally.... just no <_<
It's called a Directional pad, and dude, did you miss that you could jump by using the C button on the nunchuck extension (and also Z for shield)?

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
turning off tap jump(maybe) since some time link would do the spin attack in the air wend i wanted in the ground

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I'm probably using a modded Nunchuk Configuration since it's the one that will allow me to take my name elsewhere, and I just love the Nunchuk, either way.

Also, for the Classic and G-Cube, you may not now, but in the demo, pressing the same direction on the Control stick and the C-stick gave you a tilt... IF I can I would make the lone C-Stick tilts and Stick combos into Smash attacks... it would feel less ackward.

Top Bottom