• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are You a Fan of the Game Your Most Wanted Character Comes From?

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I wonder if requests for characters like Isaac, Geno, K.Rool, etc. really are genuine and come from fans of their series, or are just a result of bandwagoning. I made this thread to test if that's really the case.

If your a Lip supporter, does that mean you're a fan of Panel De Pon?
If your a Takamaru supporter, does that mean you're a fan of Murasame Castle?

You get the idea.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm a fan of the Metroid series. I've been a fan since 1994 when a friend of mine at daycare brought Super Metroid. I didn't ask for Ridley, since I figured Sakurai wouldn't change his mind, but here Ridley is. I'll take what I can get. If there is a series I'm not interested in, I won't be hopeful or request for a character inclusion. Oddly enough, I didn't hear or read anywhere people begging for Waluigi, but after the Super Smash Bros. 2018 invitational, they all came out of the woodwork.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
of course i am.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I definitely enjoy Golden Sun a lot. Even if I want Isaac just as much for the character and his moveset potential, the games are pretty good JRPGs and deserve to grow from Smash like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade did.

The Djinn system is really what makes them special.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wario's Woods was my childhood puzzler of choice and I own it on several systems now.
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is one of the few modern titles I own on multiple systems. Just a relaxing but charming little puzzler.
3D World I've replayed through a lot and I adore Mario Odyssey, although admittedly I never owned the Galaxy Games.

I think most people's MOST wanted is a game they've played.

My most wanted are characters I enjoyed on the Wii U and before;

Impa: Hyrule Warriors was my most played game on the Wii U aside from Sm4sh and Impa was my character of choice.
Dixie: Tropical Freeze is easily my favourite DK game to date and fond memories of watching a friend play Dixie in DKC2 and DKC3
Bandana Waddle Dee: More Return to Dreamland than Cursed Paintbrush, but Star Allies also ramped up my want for him.

Some of the next tier down are a bit bandwagony though; Isaac being the most blatant example. Never played Golden Sun, I don't really enjoy RPGs so I'm super unlikely to ever sit down and play it, but my sister absolutely adores the game and it's chaarcters so I've learnt about them through her. Her love of the character made me want to throw some support his way.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
I’m a huge fan of the Rayman games, I’ve played all of the main ones (although I have yet to finish Rayman 1, that game is grueling), so yeah, I’m definitely a fan. :D

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm a big fan of the DKC series games. They're my favourite of Nintendo's 2D platformers and their music is unparalleled.

There are definitely characters I think are cool whose games I don't tend to play though - for example I don't really play Pac Man but thought he was an excellent choice last time round.

Rogue_

Smash Rookie
I am of course a huge fan of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for GBA and I look forward to playing as Harry and his echofighter Ron this december.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If it wasn't obvious enough already, I absolutely adore the Advance Wars franchise and it easily ranks of one of my favorite games of all time. It's a series that I loved since I was 8 years old so in that regard it holds a special place in my heart.

I want to believe that one day it'll get it's time under the sun once again and ascend to levels it never reached before.

As for Andy himself, I loves his funny quirks in the game. He's a dim-wit but a loveable one at that lol. I also love how he has no fear and was one of the only CO's to not back down from Sturm's threat. Kid has some serious balls.

And of course, his moveset potential he would have in Smash is virtually endless. With the amount of units he could use from Advance Wars and creative liberties Sakurai could take with him like he did C.Falcon.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
If it wasn't obvious enough already, I absolutely adore the Advance Wars franchise and it easily ranks of one of my favorite games of all time. It's a series that I loved since I was 8 years old so in that regard it holds a special place in my heart.

I want to believe that one day it'll get it's time under the sun once again and ascend to levels it never reached before.

As for Andy himself, I loves his funny quirks in the game. He's a dim-wit but a loveable one at that lol. I also love how he has no fear and was one of the only CO's to not back down from Sturm's threat. Kid has some serious balls.

And of course, his moveset potential he would have in Smash is virtually endless. With the amount of units he could use from Advance Wars and creative liberties Sakurai could take with him like he did C.Falcon.
You’d probably make out with Advance Wars if it were a person.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
My most wanted is Crash however I haven't played or followed the Crash Bandicoot games.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
To actually answer the OP. I have played all the pokemon games, hence why I want Buzzwole and I’ve played both Golden Sun gba games for Isaac.

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. I'm a massive fan of Endless Ocean Blue World and have played it extensively. It's honestly my favorite Wii game out there. A part of it is genuine intrigue of a new character, and the other is the promise of representation of an obscure series.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Zelda is my favorite video game series, period. And I really want a rep that isn't Zelda, Link, or Ganondorf. And Impa is my favorite character from the series anyway

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I am definitely a fan of Castlevania, therefore my want of a Castlevania rep is not the result of a bandwagon. I think pretty much any character I've ever thought about wanting in Smash is a result of a good experience I've had with a particular game or series. I think most people are the same way. Reading a few of the above posts, it seems to be the case.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Banjo-Kazooie & Tooie are two of my all-time favorite games, so of course I want the main characters in Smash the most.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Absolutely! Skyrim was awesome!

I will say that I supported Ridley because of the fanbase here and the only DK game I've played is DK64, which I liked...but my most wanted is from one of my favorite games in one of my favorite series in one of my favorite genres.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I really have fell in love with the metroid series, the games are so fun and interesting. I got the ridley fanbase to think for it

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I am not really a fan of a ton of game franchises, but I played the heck out of both Smash 64 and Smash Brawl as a kid. I had a Wii before a GameCube, but my parents had an old N64. Besides Mario, I was a fan of Smash Bros. I still don't play the games where many of those characters originated from. Besides Waluigi, I feel like my most wanted characters come from either bandwagon or are are so well known at this point that they just got to be added. One example is that the trailer for Lucina and Robin left me wanting Chrom in the game because he got shown as defeated.

Last edited:

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Kirby is probably my favourite Nintendo franchise, only Rivaling Pikmin. And having played most of the mainline modern Kirby games (with exception of Triple Deluxe), I've only wanted Bandana Dee more and more. (Though I admittedly haven't played Rainbow Curse nor Battle Royale, which are the two games where Bandana Dee is pretty much Kirby's main sidekick.)

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Inklings, who are already in, and yeah

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Among my most wanted characters...yeah, I'm a big fan of the games they're from. Pokémon and Fire Emblem are franchises I love and Crash Bandicoot was basically my childhood.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'm a fan of most Nintendo things, so of course. It's hard for me to think of any character I want though since a lot of Nintendo characters with any chance of getting in are usually bland protagonists and probably one of the worst thing about most games (but Nintendo does it better than most companies though). The only character that had any real chance of getting in that I wanted was Meta Knight so I was incredibly happy he got in. There's a bunch of reasons why I love Meta Knight (some of them taken out in the remake strangely enough though), and I met him when I was a kid so he was the first character that I saw do a few things. Particularly a duel. Another character I wanted in was Ridley, who does have some overlap with Meta Knight for some of the reasons why I like him (mainly a recurring rival boss character that's fast). I've only played 3 Metroid games though (Super Metroid > Metroid Prime 2 > Metroid Prime).

My most wanted characters right now would be Dark Samus and Ghirahim. Skyward Sword is brought down because the difficulty doesn't know if it wants to be pitifully easy, or require you to pay attention so it's hard to get into the mood when it's constantly changing, also because of Fi talking too much but it's awesome in every other way. Ghirahim is just one of my favorite characters, once again, I love recurring boss rivals. Ghirahim is such a fun character. Also sword+projectile+teleporting+speed sounds like a pretty good combo to make me like him. Dark Samus, once again, recurring boss rival, but I'm also a fan of dark versions of characters. Dark Samus's fighting style is nothing like Samus funnily enough, so I'd love to see her get in with it's own moveset, because if it didn't, why not just keep it as a skin?

I'm sure there's a bazillion other characters I love but they are more obscure so it's harder to remember them.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Yep, I've been a fan of Pokemon for nearly two decades now since I was just five years old. Gen 7's one of my favourite generations so far, too, and Mimikyu's a very fun Pokemon to use.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I support Bandana Dee

My favorite Kirby game is Kirby’s Return to Dreamland

I think this answers it.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
still think metroid/super metroid are some of the best games on nes/snes... and it's thanks to them that one of my favorite genres exist, metroidvania, which is also thanks to symphony of the night, of course, another favorite game of mine, and why i love alucard so much.

i really love a game i got somewhat recently, axiom verge, because it was heavily inspired by metroid... seriously, if any metroid fans haven't tried it yet, i highly recommend it.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I'm a big fan of Rhythm Heaven, Kirby, and Warioware so that's why a Rhythm Heaven rep, Bandana Dee, and Ashley are my most wanted. My support for K Rool and somewhat for Dixie is me bandwagoning though. I don't really care all too much about Donkey Kong so I don't really care for them that much either. I still support them though because they deserve to be in Smash at this point. Usually if I feel a character deserves a slot, I'll support them. I used to be bandwagoning Geno as well, but after playing a majority of Mario rpg I think I can say I genuinely want him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Xenoblade Chronicles X is one of my favorite games this decade, and is criminally underrated. I loved everything about it — the world, the music, the characters, the battle system, etc.

Hence, I’d love Elma to be in even more, to see that game represented.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Besides Simon Belmont and Mach Rider, I'm a big fan of the series my most wanted come from.

I'm actually not that much of a fan of Castlevania, infact im not much of a fan of metroidvania games in general (not that i dislike them or think they're bad games, im just not very good at them so i really don't play them.) I do like the Netflix cartoon and the music of the games. But even though I have a distant relationship with the Castlevania series, It's easy to see why Simon Belmont would be a great addition to Smash. He's an old school nintendo icon like megaman, he and his series feels very distinct from the current roster, and I think he has the moveset potential to be a unique and fun fighter in Smash bros.

I've not even played Mach Rider, but i've always been enamored with his cool Melee trophy and think his song is catchy. I think he could be a really interesting character if Sakurai plans on reinventing him like he did with the other retro characters. Mainly I'd love to see some Mad Max post apocalyptic style character in Smash, and another character with a motorcycle would be cool.

Zyphyris

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bri-ex
3DS FC
0001-4098-4797
Switch FC
SW-8496-2727-8390
I've played a few of the 2D Metroid games over these past few years and I've really enjoyed the series, so I'd say I'm a fan of Metroid. That being said, Runadas is one of my most wanted characters, and truthfully I haven't really played Metroid Prime 3 (yet).

Though in terms of series, I've never played a Castlevania game (yet) and I'd really like to see Simon Belmont join the Smash Bros. Partly because of Captain N, the other part is because a Metroidvania team-up would honestly be really sick.

Megaman needs a villain! Sigma, Vile, Protoman or even Willy (Bowser junior style inside his pod)

(Huge fan of the Megaman series especially Megaman X)

Last edited:
Top Bottom