• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are WD/SHFFL/etc. overrated?

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
I suggest anyone "relatively new to the smash scene" or "new but pretty good without tech" not make broad statements about wd/shffl being "overrated." You should probably try it first.
me being relatively new to this smash scene refers to my time spent on these message boards, not how long i've played the game.

the problem

Smash Apprentice
Originally Posted by Smash G 0 D
I suggest anyone "relatively new to the smash scene" or "new but pretty good without tech" not make broad statements about wd/shffl being "overrated." You should probably try it first.

~Thank you for saying that =p

and ACK i don't think there is a name i just call them basic players =/

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
me being relatively new to this smash scene refers to my time spent on these message boards, not how long i've played the game.
Exactly what I mean. Do you know how to use all of the advance techniques quickly, efficiently, and without mistakes? If not, tell me how well you have placed in a tournament by using lots of rolls to dodge.

My first tournament I had no idea what a wavedash was or what an lcancel was. I got knocked out on the first round.

Then I learned from smashboards. Not from playing alot without tech. Don't get me started on mindgames.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
That is unless you're talking about Aniki, who doesn't wavedash but uses all other adv techs. I don't think there are any pros out there who don't L-cancel.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Simply Put: No Lcancel, no pro. The End

Someone Please Close This Thread

You don't L-cancel, you aren't a pro. Aniki is unique and doesn't wavedash, don't try to be like him because you will fail.

The End once again

Thread Finished

TheGSF

Smash Cadet
dawg it aint necessary if ya wanna be a mad geek bout it then ya do it but if yo wannna be BALLLLLINNNN yo play da game G and yo no wat dawg i don need to wave**** cuz imma spicy hot stuntza, da most ramblin gamblin dood 'round. I beat handfuls of wave****ters.

ballin.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Exactly what I mean. Do you know how to use all of the advance techniques quickly, efficiently, and without mistakes? If not, tell me how well you have placed in a tournament by using lots of rolls to dodge.

My first tournament I had no idea what a wavedash was or what an lcancel was. I got knocked out on the first round.

Then I learned from smashboards. Not from playing alot without tech. Don't get me started on mindgames.

Do I tech-- yes, do I shffl, yes. Not saying I execute the advanced tactics perfectly but who does? I never wrote anything suggesting that rolling was the key to success. I agree that using wd/shffl will make a player more dynamic, but it's not impossible to succeed w/o them. Look at Aniki.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Once again. How many THOUSANDS of smash players play. How many of them become pros. How many of those elite players DON'T wavedash and lcancel. No pro player does not lcancel. Aniki just doesn't wavedash.

Don't try to be like him. You will fail.

Note: "Trying" to use these techniques is not good enough. You have to learn them and their uses as well. You guys did it. You got me started on mindgames.

Advanced Techniques: A tool(s) used by all good smash players.

Mindgames: The way a smash player uses his/her tools (advanced tech).

If you try these techniques without treating them as a tool and more of a style, you fail. They are a tool and nothing more. But they will probably make up more than 50% of your game. The rest of the percent is how you choose to use your tools.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Let's see then. The most frequently used mains in the Power Rankigns are Fox, Falco, Marth, Peach, Sheik, with the odd C. Falcon and Icies thrown in, and most of them have excellent uses for the wavedash.
Fox and Falco - Waveshine combos
Marth - Spacing
Icies - Speed
Peach, Falcon, and Sheik all have the generic use of wavedashes in spacing and such despite Peach and Falcon having some of the shortest wavedashes around, while the other 4 have specific uses for the wavedash that significantly enhance their game.
Aniki's Link and Samus just kinda special, and Link has one of the worst wavedashes in the game anyways.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
yes.

orly? yarly. <nowai!>

but hey w/e it happens. anything thats new and complicated and isnt in the manual MUST be some super special trick thats amazings.

Zink

Smash Champion
beebee- They'll probably be out of range by the time the roll finishes. Wavedash or spot dodge would be better.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Come now. We should all know that you can't roll through a pro MArth's Fsmash then attack. The Marth will probably Fsmash where you rolled in the first placew, so in the end. You get hit either way. Any pro should know how to tech/roll chase.

Come on guys. Wavedash and Lcancel and other tech > Rolling.

Thread Finished.

El Gordo

Smash Cadet
It seems to me that everyone on this forum only cares about wavedashing and shffl. Why do so many people look down on the dodge roll? Simply because it is "noobish" and requires no "true" skill to do it? I think that the dodgeroll is a very effective move and it easily catches a "pro" off guard because they don't expect such a noobish move.

I was wanting to know if anyone can explain to me why I should waste my time learning to wavedash when I can dodge roll 5,000x easier. Excuse me if I'm wrong and call me a noob and wish for my death if you want but... I really don't see why people look down on the dodge roll as if it's not an effective tactic. Plus wavedashing isn't even a real technique.... some loser was just goofing around and found out that you can airdodge into the groud and fly back. I asked people to rate some videos and all they say is "You suck, go die, you don't wavedash!!!" they couldn't look past the fact that wavedashing and shffling isn't the most important part of the game.

Again, sorry if I'm just a noob and I need to quit playing smash brothers all together and just go die under a rock but please explain to me the reason behind this thread before I do all the above. Seeya 'round!:psycho:
Maybe it´s not only the "skill" that you mentioned. E.G the roll you said has a lag time, so you need to wait,but if you just wavedash away a short moment,you can instantly attack again. Also,if you see e.g Luigi,why should you roll and not wavedash?? It´s not the most important point,that is correct! But it´s good for the game.Maybe,if you just fought with the "original techniques" it sometimes gets boring,but with the new techniques you have something that you can learn and try out. Concernig Shuffling,pls take a look at the Advanced How to Play Viedos and the chapter about shuffling.Maybe that is a better example. And no, I won´t call you N00B^^

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Wavedash and shffling are invaluable. It varies from character to character, but a roll is easy to punish, especially if you know, that ur opponent always uses that to get out of pressure. I play falcon, who has one of the fastest rolls, but I almost never do it. WD out of shield is almost always a better alternative because it has less lag, and lets you do whatever you want out of it, much faster than a roll would. I can imagine WD oos to grab could be useful for Link in certain situations.

And we do NOT miss L-cancels. Everytime you don't L-cancel, you should carve a scar on ur arm.

Can you imagine how the video "Isai, are you watching?" would look without L-canceling? You guessed it, it would be called "tapion getting *****"

Top Bottom