• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are tourney goers nice people in general?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I'm a casual, but I love brawl, and would love to be in a real life tourney. (Problem is, I can't go to one any farther than an hour and a half away.:()
But I'm not sure if I would fit in. I play this game for fun, but I wouldn't know how to act, or what these people are like in person. And I don't know how I'd be viewed if I get pwned (which would likely happen to me, being a casual and all) by the otehr brawlers. Would I be looked down upon as a n00b?
Any advice/words of wisdom/ general info?

samdaballer

Smash Ace
its just like in real life, there's nice ones and there's pricks, you won't be looked down upon if you're a n00b in general, you'll be fine and have fun and go to tournaments

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
AAAGGGH why is this even relevant??? your fighting someone not going on a date with them.... >:^(

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Online Tournys people will be *******es. However in person they're much nicer since they have to keep there thoughts to themselves. People won't yell in public because it makes a very loud sound. However, typing in caps lock online has no sound so people can freely talk **** and john to whoever they lost to or hate.

The jist of what i said: People are much nicer in Person then they are Online.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Online Tournys people will be *******es. However in person they're much nicer since they have to keep there thoughts to themselves. People won't yell in public because it makes a very loud sound. However, typing in caps lock online has no sound so people can freely talk **** and john to whoever they lost to or hate.

The jist of what i said: People are much nicer in Person then they are Online.
This is the very sad, sad truth.

There ARE exceptions to his rule though- from what I hear, Isai is cool.

Calm101

Smash Rookie
lol i myself play brawl for fun and have also been to tournies, but you can't really say if they people there are nice or mean the whole point of a tourny is to get to know other people with the same interests and have fun, not to put someone down if they suck at a game.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
I've been to two and, for the most part, they are pretty nice and friendly. Just be prepared to wait a while for your turn in friendlies if your new...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
People are generally pretty good.

Introduce yourself to people in the thread for the tournament you're going to. They're likely to be nice back.

EDIT: People have been contacting me over instant messaging about my upcoming tournament here in Aus, and when they do, I introduce them to other people.

I believe that it is up to the Tournament Organizers to do what they can to help foster a friendly environment, but ultimately, people will be people.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
People are generally nice if you're not a ***got to anyone.

If you're moody to people, prepare to get some moody emotions thrown back at you.

Play nice and greet others, shake their hands, say good game etc.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
Do tourney-gamers really shake hands that much? My hands sweat like Niagara Falls when there's a controller in them, especially if it's a tense match. o.0

Some people are *******s, some people aren't, just like on this board. I guess if you're civil without acting like a noob, then you'll be treated with respect regardless of how well you play.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Haha.

I always shake hands after tourney matches and call good game.

Not for casuals though.

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
I just went to B.I.O. this Saturday, the first tourney I went to.

Well, first off, my cousins were insulting everyone and left an extremely bad impression on themselves (thank god they're not from the area). It's first fun to sorta see the reactions, like when I said for a fun joke "What's a Melee?", and a bunch of people were getting shocked. Also, don't call R.O.B. "wall-e", it manages to tick some people off. And out of all things, don't compliment to anyone during a match (believe me, girls, I did it as a joke and the result freaked me out) and don't around players during matches (I learned my lesson on this ><;, but yeah, DON'T).

Overall, it's like a big family, like my friends told me. I got the impression that everyone would be jerks, but I was proven wrong. Majority is really nice to each other, though, some are just plain rude or kill the fun outta things. Also it reeks due to being crammed into a small room most of the time, so yeah.

I'll be playing in Axis next. ><; I'm scared.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I just went to B.I.O. this Saturday, the first tourney I went to.

Well, first off, my cousins were insulting everyone and left an extremely bad impression on themselves (thank god they're not from the area). It's first fun to sorta see the reactions, like when I said for a fun joke "What's a Melee?", and a bunch of people were getting shocked. Also, don't call R.O.B. "wall-e", it manages to tick some people off. And out of all things, don't compliment to anyone during a match (believe me, girls, I did it as a joke and the result freaked me out) and don't around players during matches (I learned my lesson on this ><;, but yeah, DON'T).

Overall, it's like a big family, like my friends told me. I got the impression that everyone would be jerks, but I was proven wrong. Majority is really nice to each other, though, some are just plain rude or kill the fun outta things. Also it reeks due to being crammed into a small room most of the time, so yeah.

I'll be playing in Axis next. ><; I'm scared.
You're hated too in Social Chat. UGH I HATE YOU!

EDIT : It's just your attitude that tick people off. Not all them are that annoying.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I drive my opponents nuts, I hold conversations while I play sometimes. And let's just say, if I pick Captain Falcon....you don't want to know.

Anyway from my experience, IRL tournaments are great, eevry is very social and friendly, but there's always those few guys who don't get along, but I just ignore them for the most part.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
do you hold conversations during a tournament match? Because that would make majorly piss me off, i'd ask to have you DQ'ed.
Don't make fun of someone's favorite character. It's not funny.

@OP, i live in the SouthEast, we have southern hospitality going here. One or two players, like Pr0+0, are real silent and professional, which is quite fine with me. But yeah, Brawlers are good people. Hate to say it, but the Brawlers i meet are nice while the Melee-only people seem meaner. Maybe just from having to L-cancel all day.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
dey dunt plai da gaem rite bro dey r so gai dey duntt use itemz dey r so meeeen its not even funy i swer 2 g0d dunt g0 dey're dum as hell!

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
You're hated too in Social Chat. UGH I HATE YOU!

EDIT : It's just your attitude that tick people off. Not all them are that annoying.
Remind me that if I see in a tournament, you're going to face the same consequences the other guys had to face at B.I.O. Ask Edo what I did to him. >:]

LOL, it's because I said Brawl is faster (and a whole ton of random things). And my "What's a Melee?" question. Also the "wall-e" comments I give R.O.B. players, even if they attempted to prove he wasn't in all kinds of ways. You won't get the joke since it's based on something I did a while back. And I still remember when Plan 9 snapped and went on a banning spree.

My attitude...PM me about my previous history. Then you'll understand.

Anyway, aside from that, overall, tourney people are nice unless you mess around with the wrong ones. Ask someone in B.I.O about the person who played against MikeHAZE first round: that kid was my cousin who ticked people off from his attitude and the fact he didn't really care. At the end, I decided NOT to side with him.

@popsofctown: I learned my lesson on that after it made another player play better. It freaked me out. Like, a lot 'cuz he was older. ;_; That and I'm amazed how focused people stay during tourneys :O

kr3wman

Smash Master
Remind me that if I see in a tournament, you're going to face the same consequences the other guys had to face at B.I.O. Ask Edo what I did to him. >:]

LOL, it's because I said Brawl is faster (and a whole ton of random things). And my "What's a Melee?" question. Also the "wall-e" comments I give R.O.B. players, even if they attempted to prove he wasn't in all kinds of ways. You won't get the joke since it's based on something I did a while back. And I still remember when Plan 9 snapped and went on a banning spree.

My attitude...PM me about my previous history. Then you'll understand.

Anyway, aside from that, overall, tourney people are nice unless you mess around with the wrong ones. Ask someone in B.I.O about the person who played against MikeHAZE first round: that kid was my cousin who ticked people off from his attitude and the fact he didn't really care. At the end, I decided NOT to side with him.

@popsofctown: I learned my lesson on that after it made another player play better. It freaked me out. Like, a lot 'cuz he was older. ;_; That and I'm amazed how focused people stay during tourneys :O
True enough. And no, I won't PM you. You are evuuuuul.

Udyrfrykte

Smash Rookie
If you're a big/buff/scary looking ******* people will generally be a lot nicer to you than they are online (talking from experience). Generally no matter what you look like people will be nicer to you in real life, since being a **** actually has consequences, big or insignificant, compared to being a keyboard warrior.

Never been to a proper smash tourney though... But from what I've noticed smash players are among the most stereotypical nerds.
Nerds/geeks CAN be victim of poorly developed social skills -> less socially competent, which causes some of them to be aggressive and disliking strangers.
All in all people are nice though, even at competitions. I'm basing my theories upon the fact that smashers are normal human beings.
Commence the flaming/correct me.

edit: sorry for the toughguy cursing, forgot that this forum is children friendly ;)

Corigames

Smash Hero
People are nice at tournaments. I've never been to one where I wanted to punch anyone if that's what you mean. There was this one guy running his mouth, but he shut up once he lost, like they all do.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Every tournament I go to people love me because I am a clown in real life.

So just be yourself, and if yourself is an *******, be nice?

Seriously man, you act like you are antisocial or something.

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Another brief warning:

Tournaments reek. As much as I don't like stereotypes, B.I.O. smelled bad (and I'm preparing myself for Axis hoping there is a Victoria's Secret or some place with perfume nearby). And unless you luck out, the room is cramped and there's not too much room.

stratele

Smash Apprentice
Most people are nice, but you get the REALLY annoining kind. Which are normaly (not always) the better players, and are pritty geeky

Like if they beat you, they say things like....PWNED YOU NOOBZZ!

In real life, they wouldent dream of saying it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
There are sometimes that one weird guy... you know who makes a big deal out of him being there and is like "I'm gonna win, you guys just go home" and ****.
I only had the opportunity to go to one Melee tournement, and there was this one other guy whos name was Eric too, so everyone would be like "Eric, stfu" And I'm like "I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING!" Then I realized they didn't mean me.
That was annoying / not nice I guess.

But no most people are really nice. I got so many compliments on my Marth it was just like awesome. =)

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure a tourney that big will have a bigger venue...

There were two rooms and an outside lounge. They were about the size of my backyard. It did kinda smell bad at doubles because people were arm wrestling for quarters, and all the burger king brought in.

I'd totally go again XP.

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
It was really hard to breathe in, too. So I ended up going in and out...a lot. But it was fun to run around at, even though a wedding reception was going on also during the Singles day. ><;

I hope Axis has more room. Seriously since a lot of people are going to that one. And another tip, I suggest going with a crew and getting your own little area so you don't have to suffer in a cramped space. Along with that, after every match, don't forget to shake hands and stuff like that. :D

Top Bottom