• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Apr 4, 2015] SWEET XX: A Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament feat. Westballz! (East Lansing, MI)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I want to make this as hype as possible, so here we go:

If an out-of-state player (anyone outside MI) takes 1st place in Melee Singles, they will receive a $50 bonus payout. I've updated the OP to reflect this.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Yeah Abu can count.

Keep in mind the OoS bonus comes on the condition that everyone follows the Code of Conduct. I won't tolerate a ROM 5 repeat, and I'm obviously going to put the tourney in the best position to avoid that. So I definitely recommend that everyone reads the Code of Conduct thoroughly, especially this part:

* The TO reserves the right to deny payout from event winnings to any player suspected of intentionally throwing a match, splitting a payout, or committing any other form of bracket manipulation.

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Abu can count.

Keep in mind the OoS bonus comes on the condition that everyone follows the Code of Conduct. I won't tolerate a ROM 5 repeat, and I'm obviously going to put the tourney in the best position to avoid that. So I definitely recommend that everyone reads the Code of Conduct thoroughly, especially this part:

* The TO reserves the right to deny payout from event winnings to any player suspected of intentionally throwing a match, splitting a payout, or committing any other form of bracket manipulation.
In the case that happens (splitting), what happens the the pot money? Does it go back to the players? or would it go to 3rd 4th and 5th place instead

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
If the 1st and 2nd placing players are suspected of splitting, their payout would be distributed among the next highest-placing players, with some adjustment to the overall payout structure since I don't think 3rd place would deserve to get ALL of it (4th would get something, and maybe even 5th depending on turnout). And if the next highest-placing players are suspected of giving their "extra payout" back to the players who split, then the TO reserves the right to deny entry to all offending members for any future tourney. Obviously I don't want to have to deal with punishing bracket collusion, but it has to be addressed. We've always known that splitting is very bad for the game, but there is almost never a Code of Conduct present at Smash tourneys, and unfortunately it took a dramatic example at ROM 5 to shake us out of our apathy as a community. The best thing to do is to just play your hardest at all times and don't even think about splitting. I want to put all future MI tourneys in the best possible position to avoid a ROM 5 repeat, and I hope everyone understands.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
If the 1st and 2nd placing players are suspected of splitting, their payout would be distributed among the next highest-placing players, with some adjustment to the overall payout structure since I don't think 3rd place would deserve to get ALL of it (4th would get something, and maybe even 5th depending on turnout). And if the next highest-placing players are suspected of giving their "extra payout" back to the players who split, then the TO reserves the right to deny entry to all offending members for any future tourney. Obviously I don't want to have to deal with punishing bracket collusion, but it has to be addressed. We've always known that splitting is very bad for the game, but there is almost never a Code of Conduct present at Smash tourneys, and unfortunately it took a dramatic example at ROM 5 to shake us out of our apathy as a community. The best thing to do is to just play your hardest at all times and don't even think about splitting. I want to put all future MI tourneys in the best possible position to avoid a ROM 5 repeat, and I hope everyone understands.
...did i mention juggleguy best TO? :yeahboi:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Actually, I think I'm gonna change up the Melee Singles format from the traditional way of doing things. The new format will be more friendly towards overall playing time and provide more competitive matches vs similarly-skilled opponents. More details to come later.

Cia

das kwl
soooo just so we're perfectly clear. if i went yoshi in GF, and taunted like half the match, and got *****. i wouldn't get my 50% of the first and second prize?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
VaNz, it's really just a matter of treating Grand Finals with the respect it deserves. I can't control what characters the 1st/2nd place players choose to play with, or what they do with their money after the set, but they have to clearly put in a competitive effort to win. The fact that we reserve the right to deny payout to anyone suspected of sandbagging Grand Finals can't straight up prevent a ROM 5 repeat, but it is a necessary threat in the code of conduct that increases the likelihood of a legitimate Grand Finals. The basic argument is: our Melee scene wouldn't be close to what it is today without the spectators and stream viewers that have helped it receive hype and exposure, so anything less than a full effort from the top players during Grand Finals would be robbing those spectators and stream viewers of a large part of their tourney experience, even if they're not playing in it themselves. From an organizers' perspective, I'd argue it also robs the TOs of a large part of their tourney experience as well; for example, I wouldn't host a Big House 3 if I knew going into it the top three players would just make a big joke out of Losers Finals and Grand Finals. Hope that clears things up a bit!

Cia

das kwl
VaNz, it's really just a matter of treating Grand Finals with the respect it deserves. I can't control what characters the 1st/2nd place players choose to play with, or what they do with their money after the set, but they have to clearly put in a competitive effort to win. The fact that we reserve the right to deny payout to anyone suspected of sandbagging Grand Finals can't straight up prevent a ROM 5 repeat, but it is a necessary threat in the code of conduct that increases the likelihood of a legitimate Grand Finals. The basic argument is: our Melee scene wouldn't be close to what it is today without the spectators and stream viewers that have helped it receive hype and exposure, so anything less than a full effort from the top players during Grand Finals would be robbing those spectators and stream viewers of a large part of their tourney experience, even if they're not playing in it themselves. From an organizers' perspective, I'd argue it also robs the TOs of a large part of their tourney experience as well; for example, I wouldn't host a Big House 3 if I knew going into it the top three players would just make a big joke out of Losers Finals and Grand Finals. Hope that clears things up a bit!

I was completely joking and I fully understand / agree with your policy 100% :)

on a different note, looking forward to this.

I'll take ALL money matches with my Yoshi, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Fox, Puff, Samus*, DK, and Peach. Spacies challengers are encouraged! :colorful:

BRING IT!!!!

* = If your a moderately good Falcon, chances are I will decline a MM vs my samus. Just not worth the headache lol

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord

I was completely joking and I fully understand / agree with your policy 100% :)

on a different note, looking forward to this.

I'll take ALL money matches with my Yoshi, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Fox, Puff, Samus*, DK, and Peach. Spacies challengers are encouraged! :colorful:

BRING IT!!!!

* = If your a moderately good Falcon, chances are I will decline a MM vs my samus. Just not worth the headache lol

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

kd-

Smash Lord
New goal: play at the height of my skill level I mean sandbag until I get to amateur bracket, then lose win am bracket gg **** this game

@Dempt probably not going to this, you should do commentary with Yeezy

Dopey

Smash Lord
Didnt i get 4th at one of these...?

Who wants an OG falco on dat team?

:phone:

dbattleground

Smash Rookie
Digital Battleground Keeps You Linked

This is Greg...creator and owner of Digital Battleground. What once was just a simple gaming league has now now transformed into a major HUB for Michigan Gamers to find tournaments in our Great Lakes State.

We added your event to our MI LAN Calendar at dbattleground.com to go slong with our nice list of gaming tournaments being held in Michigan.

Check it out when you get a chance

Dopey

Smash Lord
Juggle, gettin money outta dis falco, is like kissin a frog an turnin it into a prince...u can kiss it all u want, but at the end of the day, hes still a frog..even thos hes a bird...or somethin like that...

POINT IS ITS A TRAP!!

:phone:

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Actually, I think I have a chance to go to this after all.

Apasher vs Jugglefox exhibition match imo.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
We'll have commentary, but you have to get a Juggleguy-certified commentator stamp of approval first. So far Dempt is the only one qualified (assuming Chad isn't going) :denzel:

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
looool what does that mean
Basically just don't be a complete idiot on the mic.

Examples:
1. Saying "I wonder what he banned?" in a best-of-5 set
2. Making inside jokes that only 1% of the stream viewers will understand
3. Chatting with stream viewers instead of talking about the match

I will punch any commentator that I see do one of these things...

Top Bottom