• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with Pit

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
I used to approach with short hopped f-air while DIing backwards. It didn't really work too great so I watched some videos and I noticed that most of them approached with arrows and dash attacks. I tried that too and could approach more successfully for awhile and then all my friends got used to it so now I need a different way to approach.

Also, I liked the SH aerial approach better but Pit is too dam floaty and the hitbox is too small for it to be effective. In general, SH aerials aren't as effective anymore, which is just lame. They added an entire moveset back in Melee but they're useless now w/o the use of platforms on stages like Lylat and Battlefield.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
If you approach with a nair theres like no landing lag so long as you dont fast fall. No lag = any move such as a f-smash or something.

Other approaches. Believe it or not, the sidestep actually works as a very effective approach (due to its step forward and then you can f-tilt and its quite a bit of range) short hop arrows work for me also. You can try a glide attack or something. Just a couple ideas.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
or you can just bait them out. i'm sure pit has an easy time doing that lol.

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
The only way you get no landing lag is if you do the Nair right away. Which kinda gives it away unless you execute it at point blank range. Gliding is waaaay too obvious for me. I always get hit out of it X__x. And ftilt would be godly if it didn't have so much startup time.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
which is why you nair right away for the approach. They put their shield up and then when you land you have a free ticket to do w/e. plus if you di the nair right and land right, you can slide back just far enough to where if they roll you can still attack them without having to turn around. Its a pretty solid approach. Upload vids if you want more detailed advice.

Nublet

Smash Rookie
i like to approach with a SH dair. its like the SH nair except the range goes all the way to the floor where as the nair doesn't reach that far unless you wait like half a second after the SH to still cancel it. The Dair cancels if u don't fast fall. And on top of that, using the nair allows u to be above them, so u can DI to either side of your opppnent. But, being above them gives them the opportunity to up smash if they see it coming. i don't kno. it usually works for me even thought i have no one to play with.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I like to use my glide as a means to approach. Glide canceling with the right spacing on the glide attack - it has a pretty large hotbox so you can attack the shield and still land outside shield grab range - you can do many moves from your arsenal. I like to mix it up depending on where I land and my opponents habits.

If my opponent likes his shield grabs, i perform an up smash out of my glide cancel which will suck in any opponent that decides to let out their shield after the glide attack.

If my opponent has seen through this and decides to hold on to his shield past the glide cancel, the shield will in most cases block the up smash. Then it gets exciting:

Depending on habits and which character I'm facing, I can either grab out of the glide cancel, which will be fast enough most of the time and effective against most opponents

OR

for opponents with insanely quick grabs - cough Lucario cough - or precise and prepared opponents, I like to space myself with the glide attack so as to land a small distance away but enough to connect the shield with the glide attack, and then I immediately follow with the forward B. This attack eats shields, and is Pit's anti -shield imo.

if the opponent decides to roll behind me and i see this, i can do the toward be in the opposite direction to still catch him.

This is all assuming you hit the opponents shield with the very quick, powerful, prioritized and well-ranged glide attack. If you hit the opponent himself, then he's definitely a distance away from you now, and you can proceed with your arrows and whatnot.

I've tried this on a variety of characters and works well in almost all cases. Some projectile spammers tend to be troublesome, but it's nice to use this every once in a while if you ask me.

In conclusion, although it is easy to see when the glide attack is coming, due to the double jump start-up, due to it's decent speed and the deadly glide attack and glide cancel, coupled with the mindgames of the follow-up attack, it usually does well as a pressuring attack, and is in most cases difficult to punish. I like it when people try to challenge the glide attack and fail. :laugh:

m0nkey1sme

Smash Rookie
I too have trouble approaching with Pit. Most people shield grab me before i even touch the ground if I use any aerials. And anyone with priority *Lucario* overcomes a glide attack with ease. Dash attacks are even easier to shield grab and approaching with a grab will get predictable. Any tips for me?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Powershielding... lol Seriously there is no other answer. Shield Dash your opponent.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Approaching with Pit? But aren't you better off with your defensive game?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
WhatIsPie? I don't mean blindly shielding. I mean waiting until you see what attack they are doing, then powershielding it.

A2ZOMG, no way. What separates n00bish Pits from Pits who know what they're doing is the offensive and mindgames. Pit has the ability to constantly put pressure on his opponents and thus taking completely control of the match. Playing defensively only manages to outn00b n00bs and to spoil yourself.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Here is a good way to approach especially against Lucario. I know he has a lot of priority because my friend mains him. I suggest approaching the way Jiggly would do in melee. Hop forward and attack while retreating so you don't expose your body and only your blades. Once you connect, then you can get agressive

Top Bottom