• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
approaches I use depending on situation:

- Dash attack (duh)

- Dash to Usmash

-Dash cancelled Fsmash

- Shorthop din's fire angled downward (you can move with Din's overlapping you for the most part)

-shorthopped nair, fair or fair

-Farore's wind (DO NOT spam this. FW can be used to put you virtually anywhere you want to be. YOU are at the advantage if the foe can't anticipate you. EG. if you constantly appear in frnt of them, they'll prep an attack to hit you. if you constantly appear ON them, they'll just shield grab you. don't get predicatble)

Each of these has its own application and time to use

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
I like to wait it out and hit em with Din's Fire till they close in. If you want to approach though, I suggest:

A Dash attack followed immediately by a down-smash (highly effective)

A dash into Usmash

Nair or Fair repeatedly

... so pretty much the same as above. Alternatively, I sometimes approach with just B. It can throw an opponent off, just be sure to anticipate it.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I definitely would start out with some Din's Fire.

If they get in really close I try to time up a grab to D+throw combo

If I want to be the major aggressor, I like to foxtrot into either a dash attack, dash grab, or pivoted F+smash since there's so much freedom in foxtrotting.

Resident Smash Genius has a pretty good idea to throw people off with NL.

Kicknchickn

Smash Rookie
This thread is hilarious.
ya its really sad im asking this is just ive been playing zelda since melee and in some circumstances when the norm (dins fire spamming, dash attack, running usmash, ect) dont work. im kindof screwed so i need to vary my approach game up.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nah, that's not what's hilarious.

Zelda isn't really made to approach. Zelda is about baiting and choosing her moments to strike. Not so much playing an approach/rush down game. She really doesn't have the speed of that.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Of course, if you're facing someone who could turn Din's Fire against you (Earthbounder, G&W, etc.), you might have to approach.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
And those are the match-ups that Zelda tends to have the most trouble in.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
which is why it's useful to know the very best ways to approach.

she needs a lot of help on those matchups.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I have this natural tendancy to FW straight into them.

I'll FW to their right, out of their range. Then again to the left, out of their range, and then just straight down. So then they think I'm just playing mindgames.

Then, I FW into them and D-Smash, send out of a faked Din, retreat (by dodgeing.)
FW into them again, f-tilt or something, block some attacks, D-Smash.
Finally FW one last time, (usually from the air this time), slightly out of their reach, then dash attack, dash attack, throw/tilt and try to get in a f-air or b-air.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
that sounds bad Sinking Higher... you definitely don't want to have a predicatble pattern... even if it is a very involved pattern, it's still a pattern.

Also, FW is a great approach for mixing it up... but it has a lot of problems if you use it as your primary approach. (not like you need to approach too often)

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
that sounds bad Sinking Higher... you definitely don't want to have a predicatble pattern... even if it is a very involved pattern, it's still a pattern.

Also, FW is a great approach for mixing it up... but it has a lot of problems if you use it as your primary approach. (not like you need to approach too often)
Haha, I think it came out different than how it sounded in my head.

I'll do that once in a while. I usually play Wi-Fi "with anyone", so no one really learns my methods.

If it's the same player, then I'll just use one of those 4 methods.

I've started testing out a new approach method, where you jump, then quickly hit towards your opponents direction, and begin a Din. What this does is allow you to "glide" over to them, while you are protected by the Din along the way. You can get Zelda to go pretty far. Run towards them first until you are at the right distance, then do it.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
even people who din might not work on (G&W, earthbounder) you could just wait for them to get close to you G&W does not has a projectile that will make you approach him and i feel for ness and lucas the only projectile to watch out for is there pk fire and that is a mid range projectile which good shield will stop. so i don't feel for them approach is that needed but it is still good to know.

the only person off the top of my head i can think off that you need to approach is pit since the speed of his arrows and the angles makes refelcting them useless.

Kicknchickn

Smash Rookie
heres another question? baiting people to attack you with dins fire only works sometimes. what if you opponent learns to shield and has there own goody to spam (ex falcos lazer). so your going to lose the spamming war and they're not approaching. what do you do?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Someone either can outcamp you, or they can't. If a character is capable of outcamping me, I either approach with Zelda, and use her reflector as support, or down special and then approach.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Haha, I think it came out different than how it sounded in my head.

I'll do that once in a while. I usually play Wi-Fi "with anyone", so no one really learns my methods.

If it's the same player, then I'll just use one of those 4 methods.

I've started testing out a new approach method, where you jump, then quickly hit towards your opponents direction, and begin a Din. What this does is allow you to "glide" over to them, while you are protected by the Din along the way. You can get Zelda to go pretty far. Run towards them first until you are at the right distance, then do it.
yeah... i kinda toched on that approach in my first post.

Top Bottom