• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Game Lineup Announced!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
The Apex 2015 line-up has been announced! Thrills, chills, and excitement are bound to spread all around with four Smash games, four other fighting games, and even Pokemon! Apex 2015 will be the first international level tournament to feature all four of the main Smash titles at a single event. Apex 2014 had over 1,400 unique Smashers attend and in 2015 it looks to easily surpass that number as the premier, largest Super Smash Brothers tournament.

Apex 2015 Game List
  • Super Smash Bros. 64
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
  • Killer Instinct
  • Guilty Gear XRD
There are a few other pieces that make this years' Apex event more exciting than usual. For starters, Twitch is contributing over $14,000 towards the Apex World Circuit! Second, this is the first time in a long while that a new Smash game is appearing at Apex! This will also the first time that Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and Guilty Gear XRD will be at the event - though Pokemon was present with Pokemon X/Y in 2014. Speaking of Apex 2014, check out the full results from Apex 2014 here!

Apex 2015 Qualifier List
  • Tipped Off 10 (September 20-21, 2014)
  • Justice 4 (October 11, 2014)
  • Do You Fox Wit It? (November 15-16, 2014)
  • BUST (November 22, 2014)
  • KTAR XI (November 22, 2014)
  • The Come Up (December 6-7, 2014)
  • Pacific Northwest Regional (December 20-21, 2014)
  • Forte 2 (December 20-21, 2014)
  • Sumabato Melee #13 (December 27-28, 2014)
  • SWEET Prologue (January TBD, 2015)
  • B.E.A.S.T 5 (January 9-11, 2015)
  • Paragon (January 17-18, 2015)
  • Super Smash Sundays (TBD)
The final prize pool for the main event will be determined by the number of entrants and any money that potential sponsors throw into a given games pot. Last year, over $20,000 was distributed to the victors of the main Smash titles.

Apex 2015 will be held at the Clarion Hotel Empire Meadowlands Hotel in Secaucus, New Jersey, from January 30th through February 1st, 2015.

Project M, Super Smash Brothers for 3DS Absent

Despite the inclusion of four Super Smash Brothers titles, this year's game lineup is not without controversy. Noticably absent from the lineup is Super Smash Brothers for 3DS and Project M. Super Smash Brothers for 3DS is likely being excluded as it will largely be similar to Super Smash Brothers for Wii U. There are also concerns for the 3DS version of Smash when more than a handful of units are used in a small space as many tournaments have reported signal interference, frame drops, and lag.

The absence of Project M, one of the official titles at Apex 2014 with over 380 entrants, has lead to a firestorm of controversy on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media channels. EsportsHeaven even wrote a editorial discussing the issue in the wake of the game announcement. Center to the discussion is whether the absence of the title is a stipulation of the contract with Twitch or with a potential contract with Nintendo of America. A recap of the situation can be found here.

Despite the controversy, Apex 2015 looks to have a fantastic line-up with all of the main Super Smash Brothers titles. The event looks to continue to set attendence records and maintain the status as the largest Super Smash Brothers tournament of the year and second largest fighting game tournament of the year. More information is available on their website and Twitter.

So, are you going to Apex 2015? Going to watch the streams at least? What do you think of the game lineup? Let us know in the comments below! When doing so, please remember to respect your fellow poster, Smasher, the Apex series, and any and everyone in-between!

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Gamer, and Collector who loves Smash and composing Music! His love of Smash with reading the events unveiling lead to him staying up till 2:30 AM last night. Check his Twitter out at @Thirdkoopa - Check out @Progducto @TheDerrit and @Warchamp7 on Twitter as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

serazac25

Smash Rookie
I wanted to see some Dr. Pro's Snake in action. Oh wells. KI and GG Xrd though!

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
this might as well be the death sentence then, Nintendo is finally supporting the competitive scenes, they dont want to support tournaments that showcase a mod of one of their games. If it is at another major I would be surprised

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Hey look I'm in there.

TOO BAD YOU'LL BE WATCHING SMASH! PEACE OUT GOING TO KILL MORE ZOMBIES AT RACCOON CITY!

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I was gonna watch apex with friends but the lack of P:M idk if i am anymore. It is wack that is all about the $.

D

Deleted member

What do the PMDT feel about this? I'm curious, even though I don't play PM competitively, but it is very fun to watch at top level play.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
People can get over the absensce of PM. It's a great game but we have FOUR STINKING SMASH GAMES PRESENT. Get over yourselves. This is amazing! So hyped. I'm very glad that both melee and 4 made it. And brawl! And 64! Long live smash!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Honestly, this still looks to be fantastic for anyone going. I'm hoping for the best for the Project M scene and I hope for the best turnout! I'm even a bit peeved that I'm not nearby. KI, guilty gear, and smash? Sounds legit.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Guys, you gotta realize that Project M is a mod. I'm pretty sure Nintendo has something to do with Project M not being on the list. Most likely because it's a mod.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Warning Received
People can get over the absensce of PM. It's a great game but we have FOUR STINKING SMASH GAMES PRESENT. Get over yourselves. This is amazing! So hyped. I'm very glad that both melee and 4 made it. And brawl! And 64! Long live smash!
Melee and 64 are baller. Trash 4 and smash bros bawls are much less amazing.

[NameGoesHere]

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4356-2722-9069
Are some people really saying Apex does not matter?
That is like telling a Pro Umvc3 or Usf4 player you dont need to win evo, its Pointless....

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Poor project M. I don't mind 3DS being absent.

But how Smash 4 metagame gonna develop is gonna be excitement and somehow can be depresing when they start showing their tier list, at least patch exist in this smash bros.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A little bummed about 3DS, don't care about PM.

Either way with a new Smash game, with it's potentially huge stage list and a completely new metagame, this year is looking to bring the most hype yet.

[NameGoesHere]

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4356-2722-9069
A little bummed about 3DS, don't care about PM.

Either way with a new Smash game, with it's potentially huge stage list and a completely new metagame, this year is looking to bring the most hype yet.
What is there to be bummed about? The Wii u version will be there, same game just better controls, stages , and graphics.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
All four smash games in one major tournament is amazing it is hard just to get one in at times though Apex is usually an exception. I'm excited to see Smash 4 U there and Melee is always a pleasure and for those wondering why Smash 4 3DS isn't there well lag and it is just not as pleasant as Smash U to look at and they are the same game. The Brawl and 64 communities shall live on. No Project M well that is to be expected a mod doesn't really have a place in a big tourney and Nintendo certainly had something to do with it.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I was going to enter PM, Smash 4 and Melee for APEX.

Looks like its gonna be 30 bucks less unfortunately, since PM was the game I put time into.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Well, the stages part is really subjective, but the rest of that statement is correct...
The Wii U version has a lot more usable stages than Smash 3DS

edit: Smash 3DS has Battlefield, Final Destination/Omega Destination, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Prism Tower, Arena Ferox, Reset Bomb Forest, and Tomodachi Life while Smash Wii U has Battlefield/Miiverse, Big Battlefield, Final Destination/Omega Destination, Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Circuit, Delfino Plaza Brawl, Luigi's Mansion Brawl, Wooly World, Congo Jungle N64, Skyloft, Halberd Brawl, Orbital Gate, Lylat Cruise Brawl, Kalos Pokemon League, Pokemon Stadium 2 Brawl, Town and City, Smashville Brawl, Duck Hunt, Wrecking Crew, Pilot Wings, Wuhu Island, and Windy Hill Zone and we still do not know all the stages in Smash U and even if some of these stages get banned there will still be a lot more stages in the Smash U stage list than the Smash 3DS stage list.

edit: scratch Mushroom Kingdom U off the list that Nabbit though

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
It's kind of funny that for the past while the debate has been "Melee or Smash 4 at APEX". Then, we get the best of both worlds and BOTH are present, but nobody's paying attention to that because "No Project M" gives people something else to complain about.

Oh well, life goes on I suppose.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
Never really cared for Project M that much, and the reasoning for 3DS' lack of inclusion makes sense. Still hyped for the event!

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
It's kind of funny that for the past while the debate has been "Melee or Smash 4 at APEX". Then, we get the best of both worlds and BOTH are present, but nobody's paying attention to that because "No Project M" gives people something else to complain about.

Oh well, life goes on I suppose.
We also got 64 and Brawl

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
I want to attend for Melee and PM. I have no interest in brawl and Im only playing smash 4 for casual-ish fun. No Project M literally cuts my reasons to attend in half, especially since my Area is very Project M dominant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom