• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013

S.D

Smash Master
Creating this thread to gauge Australian interest in Apex 2013, which is being held January 12-14 in New Brunswick NJ.

Caotic is attending and Redact has expressed some interest to date.

After winning BAM 2K12 money I'm looking in to this event as well.

Post expressions of interest and thoughts.

Will update this OP as details are ironed out and logistics advance.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
its very unlikely for me, costs are just to high for east coast tourney, im leaning much more towards the next huge west coast tourney (genesis 3?)

also january is just too hard for me to get off currently :(

S.D

Smash Master
I might end up in the same boat, logistically things for me probably don't lend themselves super well toward this but I'm still open to discussions. Just getting an idea for now.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I'm attending APEX out of convenience (it falls on the date of some other things I am attending), but the East Coast is harder for Aussies to get to, and we're much better connected to the West Coast.

I would probably agree that first-timers to America should focus on Genesis 3, but I do think that tournaments in the East Coast are more rewarding in terms of meeting the various smash crews over there. Sightseeing wise, it's also much more different to Australia.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I've found flights from Melbourne to New Jersey (Newark) for $1400. The prices aren't that bad; I know how to look for the cheap ones. :)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i'm very keen for this atm. need to follow up on a few things before i'd be able to confirm either way.

tibor will probably come too if he can get some cash together.

Splice

Smash Hero
I may be looking at attending an American tournament next year
Depending on whether I have money and how involved I get with Starcraft 2

Also I need a passport :c

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
Is a visa necessary?

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
i am down for heading over to america for a tourney. got the savings and will have the time off soon enough. if more people are gonna head over for G3 then i'll probably hang until then.

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
Because I heard a lot of international players who went to Apex 2012 got visas just to be part of the event, so I'm trying to see if I would have to get one as well if I were to attend.

Maybe not Apex 2013, but hopefully if there's a Genesis 3 I can think about it.

:phone:

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
Great! Thanks for the help, Cao! ^_^

:phone:

Gords

Smash Champion
I was looking into Apex earlier but couldnt get the time off, might be interested in genesis 3, does anyone have a rough idea of when G3 is. also if there is a major in jan 2014 i would be equally interested in that one as well.

My biggest issue is getting time off though.

JNuts

Smash Cadet
I was looking into Apex earlier but couldnt get the time off, might be interested in genesis 3, does anyone have a rough idea of when G3 is. also if there is a major in jan 2014 i would be equally interested in that one as well.

My biggest issue is getting time off though.
Genesis DBR on facebook says there's a good chance of Genesis 3 happening in Summer in America next year, most likely in July.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
nah i couldnt get time off work so i gave javi $700 to get there instead of me rofl

Yodha

Smash Cadet
Was at New York/New Jersey last year with family, great place to visit around the area as well. Worth your money spent!

But alas, can't go this year. Saving money for travels next year.
Intercity, yes.
Interstate, yes.
Intercontinental? Sadly, no.

For those who are going - have fun! Like Cao said, definitely different to Australia that's for sure.

Tid

Smash Cadet
Australian here, will be attending APEX 2013.
Technically it'll mostly be to help the other developers present SSF2 0.9, but I'll be competing as well.

$1400 return. if you don't mind doing stopovers :)
Who were the flights with? Could I get a link or something?

smopup

Smash Journeyman
So Prog confirmed on the stream today that Genesis 3 is happening this July. Those looking to go to the US might have a couple of options if we manage to get on the EVO lineup.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Whoa Waveguider. Hey dude.

I didn't watch much of Brawl but I know M2K took him to game 5 in grand finals. The last stock in the last game was insane.

Waveguider

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Waveguider
WHOA GERARD HAI

Did he? Ah, I was under the assumption he got 3-0'd and two stocked the last game, lol. Must be thinking of another match.

Waveguider

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Waveguider
Oh man, I've been thinking WF and GF were the same thing this whole time. So winner of LF goes against the winner of WF? wao things suddenly make sense

Dekar289

Smash Hero
correct, and the person coming from losers finals has to win two sets to win the tournament

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, I've been thinking WF and GF were the same thing this whole time. So winner of LF goes against the winner of WF? wao things suddenly make sense
That's how it goes. Also, the player coming from LF has to win two sets to get first place. Thank god that didn't happen or else Brawl would've been going until dawn, lol.

Ninja'd.

Top Bottom