• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Crap on a stick that image somehow went to crap when I uploaded it. Added a much better version.

Red is based off his screenshot on the site.
Yellow is based off his sister.
Light blue is based off concept art and Lucina
Green is based off that green knight dude
Grey is based off the really big Knight guy
Black is based off crazy King guy
White is based off heroes outfit

I don’t know FE character names
Lissa
Stahl
Fredrick unless you mean the unmounted Knight then it's Kellam
Gangrel

:p but yeah good work!

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Something I’ve always liked about the FE color sets is that they have all the unit phase colors. Heck even yellow/ally despite those only actually being in the Tellius games.

Well except Corrin but they have both Kingdoms colors to make up for it.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I made an eight color palette swap of Chrom and thought to try posting it here to see how it goes. I’ve made others for the newcomers as well as potential ones later.
View attachment 159477
Thoughts?
Crap on a stick that image somehow went to crap when I uploaded it. Added a much better version.

Red is based off his screenshot on the site.
Yellow is based off his sister.
Light blue is based off concept art and Lucina
Green is based off that green knight dude
Grey is based off the really big Knight guy
Black is based off crazy King guy
White is based off heroes outfit

I don’t know FE character names
Favorite one is definitely #4.

For 5-7, looks like Geoffrey's PoR colors (lime green), generic enemies (steel and red), and Gangrel, respectively.

I do wonder if his alts will change his hair color, since they do for Lucina, Robin, and Corrin.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
So I've been thinking about what Robin's new Final Smash could be now that Chrom clearly can't be there to support him anymore. Pair Up but with a different character would be ideal and most likely, but a simpler method would be to change the Final Smash altogether to something more generic, like Robin using a Rank A tome, like Rexbolt, Rexcalibur, Rexflame, or Fimbulvetr, or maybe even a combination of the first three. Or he could just Grima's Truth, even though it doesn't exactly conform to gameplay in Awakening, but some exceptions in Smash has been made, like Robin being able to use Dark magic tomes without Shadowgift, or Ness and Lucas using PK Thunder/Fire/Starstorm, despite not being able to use them in their respective home games.

But anyway...
Favorite one is definitely #4.

For 5-7, looks like Geoffrey's PoR colors (lime green), generic enemies (steel and red), and Gangrel, respectively.

I do wonder if his alts will change his hair color, since they do for Lucina, Robin, and Corrin.
Chances are they will. I've personally never really liked the hair color changes for any of them, so I'll most likely use default Chrom, just like how I use default Lucina, default M!Robin, and default F!Corrin.

ArkhaosZero

Smash Cadet
So I've been thinking about what Robin's new Final Smash could be now that Chrom clearly can't be there to support him anymore. Pair Up but with a different character would be ideal and most likely, but a simpler method would be to change the Final Smash altogether to something more generic, like Robin using a Rank A tome, like Rexbolt, Rexcalibur, Rexflame, or Fimbulvetr, or maybe even a combination of the first three. Or he could just Grima's Truth, even though it doesn't exactly conform to gameplay in Awakening, but some exceptions in Smash has been made, like Robin being able to use Dark magic tomes without Shadowgift, or Ness and Lucas using PK Thunder/Fire/Starstorm, despite not being able to use them in their respective home games.

But anyway...

Chances are they will. I've personally never really liked the hair color changes for any of them, so I'll most likely use default Chrom, just like how I use default Lucina, default M!Robin, and default F!Corrin.
There's a lot of possibility. A suggestion I see often that I quite like, is making it involve Grima. Robin still has his gloves on, so we can't see if Grima's brand is on him anymore. This would make Robin more ambiguous as well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I say just include Morgan as the new Pair-Up partner.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Father/Mother and the Son/Daughter?
Yep! Plus they could just alter Robin's model for everything from the neck down, considering Morgan dresses the same way Robin does.

Maikou

Smash Ace
There's a lot of possibility. A suggestion I see often that I quite like, is making it involve Grima. Robin still has his gloves on, so we can't see if Grima's brand is on him anymore. This would make Robin more ambiguous as well.
I see that suggestion often as well, and I utterly despise it. Robin only ever once uses Grima's power canonically, which is when he KILLS Grima, because only Grima's own power can truly kill Grima. Otherwise, Robin REFUSES to accept Grima in any way. It's not a matter of ambiguous morality either, as not only is Robin an outright heroic character, every single timeline we see in Awakening has him refuse Grima, and we never have the option of accepting Grima's power. The one time we can submit to Grima is when he holds the army hostage and tries the classic villain "I'll release them if you join me", and that is literally the only reason Robin even considers it, and when Grima tries to kill them anyway, Robin goes right back to defying him

And no, Robin isn't wearing actual gloves for some reason. He's wearing some weird sort of half-glove things that cover his wrists and the back of his hands, but nothing else. Which is really weird, because Robin DOES wear full, brown gloves in their Tactician and Grandmaster classes in Awakening, yet every game with them since has those weird half-gloves. Especially weird is that we can see Robin's bare hand in the FMV scene where Chrom picks them up, yet immediately in the gameplay model scene, Robin has their gloves. The other first-person scenes have Robin wearing their gloves though, so...confusion.

Sorry to rant a bit. I'm just sick of the Grima idea and people trying to "make Robin morally ambiguous."

ArkhaosZero

Smash Cadet
I see that suggestion often as well, and I utterly despise it. Robin only ever once uses Grima's power canonically, which is when he KILLS Grima, because only Grima's own power can truly kill Grima. Otherwise, Robin REFUSES to accept Grima in any way. It's not a matter of ambiguous morality either, as not only is Robin an outright heroic character, every single timeline we see in Awakening has him refuse Grima, and we never have the option of accepting Grima's power. The one time we can submit to Grima is when he holds the army hostage and tries the classic villain "I'll release them if you join me", and that is literally the only reason Robin even considers it, and when Grima tries to kill them anyway, Robin goes right back to defying him

And no, Robin isn't wearing actual gloves for some reason. He's wearing some weird sort of half-glove things that cover his wrists and the back of his hands, but nothing else. Which is really weird, because Robin DOES wear full, brown gloves in their Tactician and Grandmaster classes in Awakening, yet every game with them since has those weird half-gloves. Especially weird is that we can see Robin's bare hand in the FMV scene where Chrom picks them up, yet immediately in the gameplay model scene, Robin has their gloves. The other first-person scenes have Robin wearing their gloves though, so...confusion.

Sorry to rant a bit. I'm just sick of the Grima idea and people trying to "make Robin morally ambiguous."
Well, first of all, you're arguing canon in a game that doesn't adhere to it at all. Tactician Robin cannot Nosferatu, for instance. The game takes numerous liberties both for the sake of game balance, variety, and "rule of cool".

But even further, you're missing the point. The notion isn't to make "Robin" morally ambiguous, but ambiguous as to which "Robin" you're playing as (if even only at the moment for the FS). Robin exists in two states, one as a vessel constructed for Grima, and one where he's regained his own will. He doesn't actively ever summon Grima or his power for his own doing, but it's clear that Grima has/had influence on his body, given their link. Their heart's are the same. You can see this in the literal beginning of Awakening when Grima possesses Robin and kills Chrom.

Robin the consciousness is heroic, but Robin the vessel is not. We have no way of knowing which it is, or if he's still susceptible to Grima's control, because Robin still has his brand covered. It's not inconceivable that for the Final Smash, Grima could possess Robin and attack, while still roughly fitting the canon and not betraying his character.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Well, first of all, you're arguing canon in a game that doesn't adhere to it at all. Tactician Robin cannot Nosferatu, for instance. The game takes numerous liberties both for the sake of game balance, variety, and "rule of cool".

But even further, you're missing the point. The notion isn't to make "Robin" morally ambiguous, but ambiguous as to which "Robin" you're playing as (if even only at the moment for the FS). Robin exists in two states, one as a vessel constructed for Grima, and one where he's regained his own will. He doesn't actively ever summon Grima or his power for his own doing, but it's clear that Grima has/had influence on his body, given their link. Their heart's are the same. You can see this in the literal beginning of Awakening when Grima possesses Robin and kills Chrom.

Robin the consciousness is heroic, but Robin the vessel is not. We have no way of knowing which it is, or if he's still susceptible to Grima's control, because Robin still has his brand covered. It's not inconceivable that for the Final Smash, Grima could possess Robin and attack, while still roughly fitting the canon and not betraying his character.
First off, no. Sakurai's main goal with each character is keep them as true to canon as possible. Liberties have to be taken for the sake of game balance, but while a lot of moves are made up for Smash, don't pretend that none of them have any basis in canon. Robin can't use Nosferatu in the default Tactician or Grandmaster classes, but he CAN class change into a Dark Mage/Sorceror. Just look at Mario and Link: most of their moves are ripped straight out of their home games. Sure, they have SOME made up moves, but the canon moves far outnumber the Smash-exclusive ones. Hell, look at Mega Man and the Belmonts. They're probably the best examples. They have a LOT of moves from their canon, with the Belmonts even taking moves from each other instead of making up completely new moves. The only characters who don't adhere to canon much are characters who never canonically fight or don't have much in the way of canon fighting abilities outside of particular things, like Star Fox's Arwings being the only way they were ever shown fighting in their home games before Smash 64.

It's pretty explicit that we're playing as a Robin who doesn't serve as Grima's vessel. Even outside the trailer for Smash 4, Robin's old FS was Pairing Up with Chrom, he apologizes when he defeats Lucina, and he shows no signs of being controlled at all by Grima. Even assuming this is before the end of Awakening or that Robin didn't choose to kill Grima personally, the Robin we see actually KILL Chrom was a Robin in Grima's memory. In the main timeline, despite Grima's possession, Robin holds back their attack to spare Chrom. Even before that moment, when Validar forces Robin to take the Fire Emblem, Robin clearly struggles against him.

No way of knowing? Fell Vessel Robin's blatantly evil purple aura and glowing red eyes would beg to differ. It's not even made up for FE Heroes, Grima's Vessel Robins usually have a purple aura, and when Robin gets possessed by Grima, their vision turns red. The only time Fell Vessel doesn't have an aura is when they're pretending to be a hierophant of the Grimleal. Sure, we can't tell if they have their brand or not, but it's pretty obvious we're not playing as a Robin who's already under Grima's control, and we have no evidence whatsoever of Grima having any influence over them in Smash.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I'm just going to come here to state my support. :ultchrom:

Ever since I played Awakening, I've kept Chrom as my gaming icon, being a character I looked up to throughout that experience.
Now we have come to a point where he has made his appearance as an Echo (which is fine since we have "Too many FE characters").

I've been a bit of a "silent supporter" since I have felt there were more deserving characters to get in (especially when Lucina already got in), but I'm glad for it all the same.

He appears to bring my favorite parts of both Roy and Ike, bringing the best of both worlds.
So I'm definitely going to put some serious effort in playing Chrom.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I'm just going to come here to state my support. :ultchrom:

Ever since I played Awakening, I've kept Chrom as my gaming icon, being a character I looked up to throughout that experience.
Now we have come to a point where he has made his appearance as an Echo (which is fine since we have "Too many FE characters").

I've been a bit of a "silent supporter" since I have felt there were more deserving characters to get in (especially when Lucina already got in), but I'm glad for it all the same.

He appears to bring my favorite parts of both Roy and Ike, bringing the best of both worlds.
So I'm definitely going to put some serious effort in playing Chrom.
Beautiful speech :crying:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Beautiful speech :crying:
lol, thanks.
Previously up to Sm4sh's release, I was advocating for Robin up until his unveiling.
That was pretty satisfying especially when everyone thought Chrom would have taken that slot.

I still love the character, but felt Robin would be more unique while still being the center of the game's story.

I always had this in-between struggle with picking up Ike/Roy, but a few things from each of them felt off, and from what I see Chrom fits me too perfectly with what I wanted from each.

There is always this question though, will anyone will ever top my favorite smasher: Ness?
And Chrom is now a close contender.

The last one that got close was Corrin because I loved the play-style and the creative uses of their pin/dragon-shot.
Time will tell, though I do try everyone, most end up under 1% of my playtime.

Worst case I see Chrom being a "for fun" character like when I use Lucina.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
lol, thanks.
Previously up to Sm4sh's release, I was advocating for Robin up until his unveiling.
That was pretty satisfying especially when everyone thought Chrom would have taken that slot.

I still love the character, but felt Robin would be more unique while still being the center of the game's story.

I always had this in-between struggle with picking up Ike/Roy, but a few things from each of them felt off, and from what I see Chrom fits me too perfectly with what I wanted from each.

There is always this question though, will anyone will ever top my favorite smasher: Ness?
And Chrom is now a close contender.

The last one that got close was Corrin because I loved the play-style and the creative uses of their pin/dragon-shot.
Time will tell, though I do try everyone, most end up under 1% of my playtime.

Worst case I see Chrom being a "for fun" character like when I use Lucina.
My entire experience with Awakening for pretty much the entirety of SSB4 speculation era was solely from the demo. Needless to say I didn't really have any horse in that race. Thanks for the spoilers Sakurai.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Thought I'd pop by and share this video by ESAM on Chrom Vs. Roy. I'm not a competitive player but insights like this by professional Smashers are always interesting to me.

And lol the comment section is full of people that really resent the idea of Chrom usurping Roy and are super overplaying his recovery weaknesses and underplaying how much of a pain in the ass working with Roy's reverse tipper is in a competitive match (I love Roy a ton, he was one of my favorites in Melee but let's not pretend the hilt gimmick isn't detrimental to High-Level play). I suspect it has to do with how many people don't like the large number of FE reps, Chrom being the new face around town, combined with Roy nostalgia lingering from Melee.

Like, Chrom does have the ****tiest recovery options of all the FE characters, anyone with two functioning eyes can see that. But they're acting like he's at Little Mac levels of helplessness. Maybe it's just because a lot of the characters I enjoy playing have average to sub-par recoveries but a less than ideal recovery, while certainly a big weakness, is not a complete deal breaker assuming you have other options available to you like a good neutral/combo potential/etc. It's certainly way less of an issue than a dude with sword attack frame data wanting to get into fist fighting range all the time. And while Roy's Up-B is better, it's not like it's a country mile better than Aether, it's just a very average recovery compared to Chrom's below average one.

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
My entire experience with Awakening for pretty much the entirety of SSB4 speculation era was solely from the demo. Needless to say I didn't really have any horse in that race. Thanks for the spoilers Sakurai.
As much as it is a "spoiler", would it be fair to the character if we just straight out omitted them from inclusion?

Regardless of that, it was obvious "Marth" was not Marth at the very least.
And they made it clear she had a relationship with Chrom with her wielding another Falchion.
I found that whole arc pretty expected when playing my first time to be honest.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Thought I'd pop by and share this video by ESAM on Chrom Vs. Roy. I'm not a competitive player but insights like this by professional Smashers are always interesting to me.

And lol the comment section is full of people that really resent the idea of Chrom usurping Roy and are super overplaying his recovery weaknesses and underplaying how much of a pain in the *** working with Roy's reverse tipper is in a competitive match(I love Roy a ton, he was one of my favorites in Melee but let's not pretend the hilt gimmick isn't detrimental to High-Level play). I suspect it has to do with how many people don't like the large number of FE reps, Chrom being the new face around town, combined with Roy nostalgia lingering from Melee.

Like, Chrom does have the ****tiest recovery options of all the FE characters, anyone with two functioning eyes can see that. But they're acting like he's at Little Mac levels of helplessness. Maybe it's just because a lot of the characters I enjoy playing have average to sub-par recoveries but a less than ideal recovery, while certainly a big weakness, is not a complete deal breaker assuming you have other options available to you like a good neutral/combo potential/etc. It's certainly way less of an issue than a dude with sword attack frame data wanting to get into fist fighting range all the time. And while Roy's Up-B is better, it's not like it's a country mile better than Aether, it's just a very average recovery compared to Chrom's below average one.
Is Roy's Blazer even good as a recovery? Tends to miss the ledge...a lot, one might argue that Chrom's recovery is better suited for his and Roy's air stats (great air speed hindered by awful air acceleration, pitiful jump height, and brick-like falling speed). Chrom might not have great damage output, but I'm pretty sure his damage statistics are very similar to Lucina's and she was a great character in 4, so it'll probably be serviceable (though notably he doesn't have Shield Breaker or a 10 frame Side Smash) and I can see him killing relatively early. I'll admit though, it won't be easy getting used to a Little Mac tier recovery, I'm mostly accustomed to average recoveries that can be easily exploitable, and also edgeguarding offstage with Chrom is pretty much impossible, still, there's no way he'll be Roy levels of bad. Now I'm just waiting to find out how his standard special is different from Roy's...

As much as it is a "spoiler", would it be fair to the character if we just straight out omitted them from inclusion?

Regardless of that, it was obvious "Marth" was not Marth at the very least.
And they made it clear she had a relationship with Chrom with her wielding another Falchion.
I found that whole arc pretty expected when playing my first time to be honest.
It's ok I'm used to not enjoying things. In all seriousness...I obviously would not have been fooled by her "Marth" disguise one bit, but I don't think I would have guess she was Chrom's daughter. At least all the others were a surprise. Now if only I could play Awakening right now...

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Is Roy's Blazer even good as a recovery? Tends to miss the ledge...a lot, one might argue that Chrom's recovery is better suited for his and Roy's air stats (great air speed hindered by awful air acceleration, pitiful jump height, and brick-like falling speed). Chrom might not have great damage output, but I'm pretty sure his damage statistics are very similar to Lucina's and she was a great character in 4, so it'll probably be serviceable (though notably he doesn't have Shield Breaker or a 10 frame Side Smash) and I can see him killing relatively early. I'll admit though, it won't be easy getting used to a Little Mac tier recovery, I'm mostly accustomed to average recoveries that can be easily exploitable, and also edgeguarding offstage with Chrom is pretty much impossible, still, there's no way he'll be Roy levels of bad. Now I'm just waiting to find out how his standard special is different from Roy's...
It won't be a Little Mac tier recovery though. His uppercut is way shorter ranged than Aether and perhaps more importantly, his air mobility is complete garbage with an utterly pathetic air jump.

Roy's Blazer (from my subjective experience) can be best described as mediocre. It'll get the job done, and that's about it. Decent enough for vertical and just barely adequate in horizontal. Chrom's issue is that he's gonna get really easily gimped once he's tossed off the ledge but he still has a good vertical recovery.

I think you might be on to something though with Chrom's air stats being well suited to his recovery. It won't make Chrom amazing or top-tier but it just might not be as bad as everybody is making it to be.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
It won't be a Little Mac tier recovery though. His uppercut is way shorter ranged than Aether and perhaps more importantly, his air mobility is complete garbage with an utterly pathetic air jump.

Roy's Blazer (from my subjective experience) can be best described as mediocre. It'll get the job done, and that's about it. Decent enough for vertical and just barely adequate in horizontal. Chrom's issue is that he's gonna get really easily gimped once he's tossed off the ledge but he still has a good vertical recovery.

I think you might be on to something though with Chrom's air stats being well suited to his recovery. It won't make Chrom amazing or top-tier but it just might not be as bad as everybody is making it to be.
Hopefully they give him better midair jump height, or at least unshackle his great air speed by making his air acceleration less bad.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Will Chrom run just as fast as Roy in Ultimate? Cause that could give him a serious edge over both Roy and Lucina honestly. Which is weird, as in my Awakening playthrough, Lucina was always the faster one compared to Chrom. Whilst Chrom being stronger and having more defense. Is this twisted now in Ultimate?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Will Chrom run just as fast as Roy in Ultimate? Cause that could give him a serious edge over both Roy and Lucina honestly. Which is weird, as in my Awakening playthrough, Lucina was always the faster one compared to Chrom. Whilst Chrom being stronger and having more defense. Is this twisted now in Ultimate?
He looked pretty fast in his reveal, so yeah it seems Lucina will end up being slower. Guess Chrom must be a higher level hahaha

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He looked prettt fast in his reveal, so yeah it seems Lucina will end up being slower. Guess Chrom must be a higher level hahaha
Or he got the Boots? I dunno, feels kind of weird especially since Chrom doesn't really need the speed of Roy, cause he can actually space decently. Still, seems like he as an edge over Roy and Lucina now.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Or he got the Boots? I dunno, feels kind of weird especially since Chrom doesn't really need the speed of Roy, cause he can actually space decently. Still, seems like he as an edge over Roy and Lucina now.
Lucina still has an actual recovery going for her, but Chrom's speed will give him very good dash dance abuse.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Assuming parameters like that aren't changed, that would be the case, yes.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
And lets not forget that one can cancel dash into any attack
Yeah, I know what you mean. Been playing Boy recently (have to know how to play him so I'm comfortable with Chrom) and I have to say, the ability to dash cancel into ground attacks would have been very useful in a lot of the matches I've played. Also a lot of times I've failed to recover, it's been due to a lack of vertical distance, something Chrom's recovery has more of. Needless to say, I'm anxious to get my hands on Ultimate.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I just want to destroy Falcons with Chrom so I can say I achieved a huge accomplishment.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
So apparently Fire Emblem will be getting a decent amount of arrangements in Ultimate. So that's a pretty good thing to know. We've heard four so far, have to wonder what the rest will be. (Please more Awakening and also Twilight of the Gods)

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
I wish we could play the FE theme in hyrule temple. That was one of the main reasons why I played hyrule temple so much in melee.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Figured I'd let everyone here know, but there is now a dedicated Fire Emblem subforum on this site now in the NintenZone section!

Top Bottom