• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Depending on what he does, it does make the "Morgan becomes a FS" thing much harder to pull off.

I guess the way to go there would be either saying Plaayble!Chrom and FS!Chrom aren't from the same timeline... or handling multiples of the same guy in the way Smash always did: Give FS!Chrom one of Playable!Chrom's palette swaps when 1-3 Chroms are in the field.

To me that's quite in the past, the meme seemed to die as of now.

And yeah, this ain't gonna be Chrom's show, yes. But he's still there to support you the best way he can, and at this point, it's all that matters as his supporter. Though maybe I have better transition because I decided to pick up Robin right away after the day he was revealed. (Though the internet made me resent him for a while. I dunno why I let that get to me at this point, TBH.)
i don't play with Final Smashes on...

My beef with Chrom being on the victory poses isn't even how detrimental to his chances that might be, but the fact that you will often not have Chrom assisting robin due to him not using a FS. It's unfitting to have him share the win...

i mean, Doc trained Mac, so Mac's victories as a boxer as his victories as a coach; it makes sense for him to be there. chrom, not always. but hey, maybe Chrom ONLY appears in the victory scene if you did a FS.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Depending on what he does, it does make the "Morgan becomes a FS" thing much harder to pull off.

I guess the way to go there would be either saying Plaayble!Chrom and FS!Chrom aren't from the same timeline... or handling multiples of the same guy in the way Smash always did: Give FS!Chrom one of Playable!Chrom's palette swaps when 1-3 Chroms are in the field.
If Morgan were to be a Final Smash for anyone, its Lucina.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7

My beef with Chrom being on the victory poses isn't even how detrimental to his chances that might be, but the fact that you will often not have Chrom assisting robin due to him not using a FS. It's unfitting to have him share the win...

i mean, Doc trained Mac, so Mac's victories as a boxer as his victories as a coach; it makes sense for him to be there. chrom, not always. but hey, maybe Chrom ONLY appears in the victory scene if you did a FS.
now you're just getting desperate

congrats, you not playing with them doesn't change the fact that they're there. also not as big of a deal, but chrom will probably be in the final smash trophy too, so there's something else.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
How can Chrom be different from Marth and Ike? I hope he's like Riki and get's an Assist Trophy as well.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
which ultimately is still not playability.. so there is no reason to feel "glad' or anything. Being a final smash and in victory poses isn't going to repair the damage dealt by how the trailer treated him and subsequently how the internet picked up from that.
So, what you're saying is that there's no reason to be happy when a character appears in the game in a non-playable role?

Personally, I think this is better than Chrom not appearing in the game at all.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Why? Lucina doesn't have a canon relationship with a Morgan, and she is most likely having critical Hit with and FEA hud
So? Robin can't use Noseraftu as a Tactician. Anyways, Robin and Lucina are in the same place as Chrom and Sumia when it comes to what thier canon relationship is.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
So? Robin can't use Noseraftu as a Tactician. Anyways, Robin and Lucina are in the same place as Chrom and Sumia when it comes to what thier canon relationship is.
no, they aren't. There is some changes to that scene because that was necessary. just like how Owain's father support has a different, Robin-exclusive part.

So, what you're saying is that there's no reason to be happy when a character appears in the game in a non-playable role?

Personally, I think this is better than Chrom not appearing in the game at all.
Of course. If Chrom was completely gone from what we got so far no FS, no victory poses, no throphy... it would make the chances of DLC all the more likely.

sure, his appearances here can also add to that. But if he is not playable, i do not see a reason to be happy about it. i simply don't understand that logic.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
no, they aren't. There is some changes to that scene because that was necessary. just like how Owain's father support has a different, Robin-exclusive part.

Of course. If Chrom was completely gone from what we got so far no FS, no victory poses, no throphy... it would make the chances of DLC all the more likely.

sure, his appearances here can also add to that. But if he is not playable, i do not see a reason to be happy about it. i simply don't understand that logic.
But you forgot about the soundtrack cover, and the special confession trailer, and the goddamn Smash trailer...

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
But you forgot about the soundtrack cover, and the special confession trailer, and the goddamn Smash trailer...
AFAIK the soundtrack cover only had Lucina, i have no idea about the second thing, and the smash trailer as evidence is just grasping at straws.

this is completely irrelevant to this topic either way. Morgan makes more sense as Robin's FS than ucina because there is absolutely no way to have them as anything besides Parent-Kid, whereas Lucina quite often will have no relationship with Morgan.

And Lucina is a clone, so her FS will be cloned, or at least not rip-off another
Newcomer's.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
AFAIK the soundtrack cover only had Lucina, i have no idea about the second thing, and the smash trailer as evidence is just grasping at straws.

this is completely irrelevant to this topic either way. Morgan makes more sense as Robin's FS than ucina because there is absolutely no way to have them as anything besides Parent-Kid, whereas Lucina quite often will have no relationship with Morgan.

And Lucina is a clone, so her FS will be cloned, or at least not rip-off another
Newcomer's.
The soundtrack has Lucina wearing the same flowers Robin gives her in thier S support.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

It would seem that all that matters to you are playable characters.

To me, Smash is meant to be a collection of some of Nintendo's biggest All-Stars gathered together into one huge free-for-all fighting game. That being said, it's unreasonable to think that they can add every character we'd like to see to the roster; there's a limit to that, and as a result, they can't possibly represent everyone. That's why they have characters that appear in the game in non-playable forms; trophies, Poke Ball Pokemon, Assist Trophies, enemies, bosses... All of them show a bit of recognition to all those characters that couldn't make it on the roster. Sure, I'd rather have someone like Darkrai as a playable character rather than as a Poke Ball summon, but at least he gets to be a part of the game; I don't see why I should complain about characters I love getting at least some sort of recognition in the game.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl

To me, Smash is meant to be a collection of some of Nintendo's biggest All-Stars gathered together into one huge free-for-all fighting game. That being said, it's unreasonable to think that they can add every character we'd like to see to the roster; there's a limit to that, and as a result, they can't possibly represent everyone. That's why they have characters that appear in the game in non-playable forms; trophies, Poke Ball Pokemon, Assist Trophies, enemies, bosses... All of them show a bit of recognition to all those characters that couldn't make it on the roster. Sure, I'd rather have someone like Darkrai as a playable character rather than as a Poke Ball summon, but at least he gets to be a part of the game; I don't see why I should complain about characters I love getting at least some sort of recognition in the game.
it's what matters above the other things to me. i wanted to play as Chrom, why should i be happy when i can't play as Chrom? It's cool that there are other kinds of representation and they are all important. I just don't see why i should be happy with the current state of things, regarding chrom anyways

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157

Exactly!!!

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice

Another theory why Robin is able to regenerate/respawn his/her Tomes and Levin Swords and why Chrom is on the victory screen even if Robin never uses a Final Smash is that Chrom has also been regulated to Robin's "Item Caddy" thanks to convoy.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItemCaddy

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Another theory why Robin is able to regenerate/respawn his/her Tomes and Levin Swords and why Chrom is on the victory screen even if Robin never uses a Final Smash is that Chrom has also been regulated to Robin's "Item Caddy" thanks to convoy.

that's a nice theory, but if it's officially canon to Smash, it opens a crapload of possibilities for Chrom.

Damn, Tvtropes is still not working for me. over the last month quite a few sites simply didn't work in my PC. Wikipeida is one of them, and for a while so was google.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry about Chrom. At least this role, as well as helping Robin in their Final Smash, is better than him not being in the game at all.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
there is nothing to accept; it's called having an opinion.
Pretty strange if you call it mere opinion, if your discussions in this thread are any indication. You constantly tried to prove a point where Sakurai just overlooked Chrom in a whim due being too absorbed on Robin, and how wrong he is for not seeing any moveset potential. (Yet Sakurai said that he considered Chrom, but chose Robin instead between both because magic swordsman at this point was gonna be better than traditional blue-haired lord.)

But it seems you only want him playable.. kinda tough luck to you then. I also wanted him playable, but moved on from that as what we got seems more superior than what would have been with Chrom. Of course, it'd be great if we got all of these characters to play as.

That sounds surprisingly fitting, actually. Not that it's present ingame but at the same time, it'be a logical explanation on the mechanic behind Robin's resourceful use of tomes and Levin Swords.

(So who gets the money constantly to buy these)

Last edited:

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Newcomer's.
This should not be assumed immediately. Is Dr. Mario going to be shooting two fireballs for his final smash when Sakurai said that's just wrong for Doctor Mario to do? Dark Pit with the Three Sacred Treasures doesn't make sense in the context of his game. Lucina doesn't have a tipper either so stabbing someone as her final smash just looks weird. She might have a final smash like Robin's final smash.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
This should not be assumed immediately. Is Dr. Mario going to be shooting two fireballs for his final smash when Sakurai said that's just wrong for Doctor Mario to do? Dark Pit with the Three Sacred Treasures doesn't make sense in the context of his game. Lucina doesn't have a tipper either so stabbing someone as her final smash just looks weird. She might have a final smash like Robin's final smash.
what does the tipper have to do with anything?

Pretty strange if you call it mere opinion, if your discussions in this thread are any indication. You constantly tried to prove a point where Sakurai just overlooked Chrom in a whim due being too absorbed on Robin, and how wrong he is for not seeing any moveset potential. (Yet Sakurai said that he considered Chrom, but chose Robin instead between both because magic swordsman at this point was gonna be better than traditional blue-haired lord.)

But it seems you only want him playable.. kinda tough luck to you then. I also wanted him playable, but moved on from that as what we got seems more superior than what would have been with Chrom. Of course, it'd be great if we got all of these characters to play as.
I am not trying to prove it, that can't be proved. i'm just stating that was the vibe i got from Sakurai's comment with a bit of logic.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Then why Sakurai even bother having Chrom as part of Robin's Final Smash or in Robin's victory pose if he didn't care about Chrom?
i never said he didn't care about Chrom. i'm saying i think he never truly considered Chrom's moveset because he liked his idea of Robin's too much. i don't mean that he'd have chosen Chrom if he had realized his potential or such. but i find it suspicious.

it wouldn't be "a hard decision" if Chrom had no moveset potential. i do think it was Wrong to write him off just like that, even if he ultimately wouldn't make it into the normal game anyways.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Let's say hypothetically that Fire Emblem Awakening never had the Avatar/My Unit System and that the Tactician class never existed and that Chrom planned and organized all his battles just like Ephraim did in Sacred Stones. With Chrom no longer having any real competition in Awakening, would Sakurai have no choice but to put him in SSB4 or pick someone else instead?

Rakath

Smash Ace
Let's say hypothetically that Fire Emblem Awakening never had the Avatar/My Unit System and that the Tactician class never existed and that Chrom planned and organized all his battles just like Ephraim did in Sacred Stones. With Chrom no longer having any real competition in Awakening, would Sakurai have no choice but to put him in SSB4 or pick someone else instead?
You use Anna who has, to date, appeared in every game in the series.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
what does the tipper have to do with anything?
The way Critical Hit looks in Smash is Marth stabbing someone with the tip of his sword along with that oh so satisfying sound when it hits. Lucina's lack of a tipper makes Critical Hit look awkward since she plays without one and the sound doesn't match either. Really, this is just a side argument that Lucina won't have the same final smash with the main one being Doctor Mario not shooting two fireballs or Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
You use Anna who has, to date, appeared in every game in the series.
without any major role in any of the games.

it's like choosing Goomba over Luigi.

Maybe. Who knows what else changed in your AU? Maybe the butterfly effect of robin not existing would lead to Sakurai tripping in the street and getting ran over by a car.

The way Critical Hit looks in Smash is Marth stabbing someone with the tip of his sword along with that oh so satisfying sound when it hits. Lucina's lack of a tipper makes Critical Hit look awkward since she plays without one and the sound doesn't match either. Really, this is just a side argument that Lucina won't have the same final smash with the main one being Doctor Mario not shooting two fireballs or Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures.
Critical Hit is a swing.

and Lucina has her own version of Shield Breaker which is a stab

and WTH is this about sound? that has nothing to do with the tipper.

seriously, if you expected Lucina to have something other than critical Hit, you are going to be disappointed

Last edited:

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
With Chrom no longer having any real competition in Awakening, would Sakurai have no choice but to put him in SSB4 or pick someone else instead?
I also believe Tiki would be a good choice for a playable character as well.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Tiki and Anna represent something for Fire Emblem that Chrom doesn't. For Anna, it's being a constant mainstay in the games that represents the entire franchise and finally getting to be a unit along with having the moveset based off a thief and likely money. Tiki also represents the connection of the older Fire Emblem games with the newer ones along with having a moveset based off her being a manakete. Chrom is...the main lord of a game. Marth and Ike are the main lords of two of their games as well so why should there be a third if that's really the only thing Chrom can bring? As I said, I'm not against Chrom for DLC, but dismissing Anna and Tiki like that doesn't sit well with me.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Tiki and Anna represent something for Fire Emblem that Chrom doesn't. For Anna, it's being a constant mainstay in the games that represents the entire franchise and finally getting to be a unit along with having the moveset based off a thief and likely money. Tiki also represents the connection of the older Fire Emblem games with the newer ones along with having a moveset based off her being a manakete. Chrom is...the main lord of a game. Marth and Ike are the main lords of two of their games as well so why should there be a third if that's really the only thing Chrom can bring? As I said, I'm not against Chrom for DLC, but dismissing Anna and Tiki like that doesn't sit well with me.
as i siad, they aren't even close to being main characters, why would those people be in smash? they wouldn't.

Tiki is too big. Anna is too irrelevant because she does nothing. You could play through the entire FE franchise and never see her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom