• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone Else Feel Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I thought Brawl was going to be the bestest-est-est game ever and I was so hyped about it. I nagged my parents, friends and my dog daily about the fact that Brawl was coming out. And then I had to wait 3 days until after it came out to receive the shipment from Amazon. During that 3 day wait I made everyone's life miserable because all my friends were playing it and I wasn't.
Then I finally got it. I play for maybe 2 hours a day afterwards.
2 months later...Wow this game sucks hard, I'm going back to Melee.

The point is, does anyone besides me feel bad about overhyping this game, overreacting at its former potential awesomeness and then becoming severely disappointed?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I'm mostly just embarassed that I thought it was going to be better than Melee when it first came out. How young and naive I was then. Oh well, that's what you get for being optimistic I guess.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I only feel bad that I didn't go back to melee sooner.

Also, I love the way there are like no new threads here that don't have something to do with brawl. It's great having actual discussion to talk about! /sarcasm

I also feel bad about how brawl just about killed melee, as evidenced by this very forum, but... there isn't much I can do about that.

Oh, btw, I'm not knocking the fact that topics here lately all have had something to do with brawl - at least people are posting here at all. If no one said anything at all, then that would be even worse.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
heh, I've been talking about how it will suck as a competative game since forever.

SO, no, I don't.

Grunt

Smash Master
Yeah, but 6 people or so, isn't looking too good. of course, it's new and the hype will die down some later. soon expect about 10 people lurking here. XD

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Brawl almost made me hate video games. Seriously, it was just so not fun and I thought it was because I had become jaded and that I was getting too old for video games. Then I bought FF: Crystal Chronicles on the DS and had so much fun with it and I just realized that Brawl was just really really bad.

People need to understand that if anyone wanted Brawl to be awesome, it was me. I went to E for All, I even paid for TWO tickets to E for All just because I needed someone to drive me there. I played it, I enjoyed it, I took notes, I kept up with ALL of the news, I was even going to import my own version(although i ended up not being able to) I even watched and re-watched the same 2 minute long vids just to try and find out what was different about Kirby so I could adjust even faster once I got the game. It just.........isn't fun :(

orintemple

Smash Lord
I don't feel bad for overhyping it, I expected it to be the next best thing after Melee. It just wasn't. I don't hate Brawl, but it will never be what Melee was.

gnosis

Smash Lord
I think I spent more time actively anticipating Brawl (going to the Dojo, watching e4all vids, talking about it, etc.), then I did playing it and enjoying it... actually, more than I did playing it period, now that I think of it. I've only enjoyed it the first day and a few matches since then.

So I regret that little imbalance.

Keltzon

Smash Cadet
Well, this is the first Melee thread I've stepped into, since I've been playing Brawl. Actually, before Brawl I wasn't active on the forums, so don't hate me for not being around >.<

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to why you hate the game? And I will throw in my own opinion.

I wasn't bad at Melee. Let's get that sorted out. I didn't win most tournaments because my friends did, but I didn't do poorly. And I certainly don't think any of us could have beaten Gimpyfish or Ken, for that matter. But should you feel the need to point a finger and say, "Well, you just like Brawl because you sucked at Melee!" Don't. Just don't.

After the first year of playing Melee, I learned quickly that to win, you needed to play certain characters. The tier lists were set up, and there was a clear difference between high tier and low tier. So of course, I played Shiek and Falco. My problem was that after a while, it got boring. Noobs couldn't touch me, and the games were never really intense. So I picked up new characters, like Bowser and Ganondorf. I didn't win as often, but man...when you win a tournament with Bowser, it feels soooo much more epic, because no one expects it. Trust me on that.

Then came things like wavedashing, dashdance, L-Cancel...crazy stuff that if I had gone to these forums, I probably would have learned about sooner. So I got all that down, and to be honest, it made the game a little more fun. You were able to move faster, perform new combo's...awesome.

However, it is my opinion that due to these glitches in the game, Melee is not a good fighting game.

Melee is fun, don't get me wrong. It's fun as hell. But we as gamers have spent years perfecting techniques for a game, when those techniques were never meant to actually be there! Melee has spoiled our minds into believing that every Super Smash game from here on out needs to have every character being able to fly across the ground, or have combo's that can kill a character at any percent. This to me is just not fun. In Melee, all you need to do is control Fox's speed, and learn to use his shine for shinespiking people. End of game. *snooooore*

I have a feeling that many advanced SSBM players were upset and turned off from Brawl when they learned that they couldn't move as fast, couldn't just slide across the ground, couldn't 10% kill a character, instead of playing like the game was supposed to be played. Many players complained that a lot of high tier characters were nerfed, and were angry to see priorities change.

What exactly did you expect with Brawl? Melee with better graphics? I seriously believe that almost every gamer here is upset about Brawl simply because they feel that the "advanced" play of fighting has been replaced by an "easier, noob-friendly" set of gameplay. Am I wrong on this?

I think I sounded a little more angry than I actually am, so I apologize for that. ^-^ Let's continue the civil discussion you guys have been having, eh?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Well, this is the first Melee thread I've stepped into, since I've been playing Brawl. Actually, before Brawl I wasn't active on the forums, so don't hate me for not being around >.<

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to why you hate the game? And I will throw in my own opinion.

I wasn't bad at Melee. Let's get that sorted out. I didn't win most tournaments because my friends did, but I didn't do poorly. And I certainly don't think any of us could have beaten Gimpyfish or Ken, for that matter. But should you feel the need to point a finger and say, "Well, you just like Brawl because you sucked at Melee!" Don't. Just don't.

After the first year of playing Melee, I learned quickly that to win, you needed to play certain characters. The tier lists were set up, and there was a clear difference between high tier and low tier. So of course, I played Shiek and Falco. My problem was that after a while, it got boring. Noobs couldn't touch me, and the games were never really intense. So I picked up new characters, like Bowser and Ganondorf. I didn't win as often, but man...when you win a tournament with Bowser, it feels soooo much more epic, because no one expects it. Trust me on that.

Then came things like wavedashing, dashdance, L-Cancel...crazy stuff that if I had gone to these forums, I probably would have learned about sooner. So I got all that down, and to be honest, it made the game a little more fun. You were able to move faster, perform new combo's...awesome.

However, it is my opinion that due to these glitches in the game, Melee is not a good fighting game.

Melee is fun, don't get me wrong. It's fun as hell. But we as gamers have spent years perfecting techniques for a game, when those techniques were never meant to actually be there! Melee has spoiled our minds into believing that every Super Smash game from here on out needs to have every character being able to fly across the ground, or have combo's that can kill a character at any percent. This to me is just not fun. In Melee, all you need to do is control Fox's speed, and learn to use his shine for shinespiking people. End of game. *snooooore*

I have a feeling that many advanced SSBM players were upset and turned off from Brawl when they learned that they couldn't move as fast, couldn't just slide across the ground, couldn't 10% kill a character, instead of playing like the game was supposed to be played. Many players complained that a lot of high tier characters were nerfed, and were angry to see priorities change.

What exactly did you expect with Brawl? Melee with better graphics? I seriously believe that almost every gamer here is upset about Brawl simply because they feel that the "advanced" play of fighting has been replaced by an "easier, noob-friendly" set of gameplay. Am I wrong on this?

I think I sounded a little more angry than I actually am, so I apologize for that. ^-^ Let's continue the civil discussion you guys have been having, eh?
Lol at comparing Gimpy to Ken :laugh:

And more lol at complaining about the "glitches" in melee. You do of course realize that there are sooooo many more glitches in Brawl right? Like, significantly more than in Melee.

Lol at the general lack of knowledge in this post.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I haven't played it much since it hasn't been released here (europe), but ive played it with friends with haxed wiis and to me it just seems slow, untechnical and unbalanced (lmao playing with metaknight makes losing impossible)

St. Viers

Smash Champion
that was the nicest worded "ZOMG melee was glichy/horrible fighting game" I've read.

However, if you do a bit of searching for previous discussions on the topic, I feel we've defended melee enough.

Plus, as Pinkreaper rightly points out, the physics engine for brawl is MUCH glitchier (rather than being able to be exploited by rather straight forward means--I've yet to see someone explain exactly HOW using direction air-dodges+traction is a glitch...^_^) Also, DD wasn't a glitch (it appears in all 3 smash games), and L cancelling wasn't either, as they had it in SSB as well.

The only actual glitches were with samus and ness...

Jiho

Smash Cadet
I remember a discussion I had with my friends. We were talking about how Melee was "accidentally perfect." Wavedashing is the most awesome glitch ever because it gives you total control over your character's movement, whereas brawl limits your attacks and variations. I miss the zero to death combos the most. Brawl's broken. I really hope melee competitions continue. Brawl does make me feel bad. Frustrated to be more accurate

ThreeX

Smash Lord

Okay, at first i was reading this whole thread, i saw your post... and scrolled right past it, I thought.. too much to read, as I scrolled, I saw that pink reaper had read it, and quoted it.. so i scrolled back up, and read your post. At first I was thinking, okay.. maybe you know what your talking about, then I said to myself, oh wait.. nope, wrong.

Sorry dude, but your COMPLETELY wrong. As pink reaper said.. glitches? err, the GLITCHES in melee, are banned from tourneys... wavedashing is not a glitch, I don't wanna turn this into a "whether wavedashing is a glitch or not" discussion, cause there have already been many threads about that.

I did notice that you said... Melee isn't a fighting game, because of those.... "glitches" Well, so your saying brawl is right? Wrong again, brawl is a party game. Also... If these "glitches" subtracted Melee from the fighting genre, then does that mean that halo 2 is not a FPS? 'Cause everyone know's that halo2 was an amazing FPS, with glitches (with a horrible community :p).

Now you ask, why do I hate brawl? Here's my answer... Brawl split the community into 2 sides, like you all know.. the brawl haters, and the brawl lovers... Sure, there are the people inbetween but anyways. Sadly, many people are starting to say that melee will die out eventually, it's just that no one knows when. Then other people say that once the brawl hype is down, melee will rise again, which of course... I do hope that happens, but it's very hard for that to happen, when alot of the melee pro's, are loving brawl.. because it is getting them easy money. They're really good at brawl, and with all these tournies, with HUGE amounts of people (because of the new brawl community), the pro's are making a pretty good amount of money. Of course, not all the people are like that, but in my opinion, that's what I think.

Another thing that bothered me that you said.. was about fox, fox is not just about shine spikes, go do yourself a favor, go to melee character specific, go to fox and learn some things, about a GOOD game.

Well, I'm sick of typing, I guess I'll end this here. There's my answer, hopefully I didn't waste my time, and you will read it. Have a good one, and remember that brawl sucks<3

battousai555

Smash Ace
I have a feeling that many advanced SSBM players were upset and turned off from Brawl when they learned that they couldn't move as fast, couldn't just slide across the ground, couldn't 10% kill a character, instead of playing like the game was supposed to be played.
Please, enlighten us as to how the game was "supposed to be played." Keep in mind that z-cancelling was in SSB64, so l-cancelling was obviously supposed to be in Melee.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
its not the ATs, its the overpowered campiness, lack of hitstun and shieldstun, etc.

But lets not turn this thread into melee vs brawl eh?

Brawl turned me emo, now i have red marks all over my wrists and i write dark poetry while i try hard to read my own handwriting through my hair. Nintendo was my heart and the rectangle around it was the casing to it. Now there's no nintendo and its just a shell of its former self.

/wrists

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
dude, by el only fact i fell bad about brawl, is, that its killing melee.. but i have think about something, y dont everyone who likes melee more than brawl go to melee, thats what people gotta do.. the people that like more melee tha brawl can quit brawl and make a compettitive melee scene again.. And it would be better because thers not gonna be noobs in the pro scene... its better like this.. COME ON JUSTQUIT BRAWL THE PEOPLE THAT DOESNT LIKE IT COME OON

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I knew it'd suck when I saw the trailer, I tried to warn everyone and got flamed 10 000 times over for it, but in the end I was right. yay :p

Rampage

vx
Get out, now.

edit: To not make this post completely ******** I'll give my opinion.

The only thing I have against brawl is how it's killing melee and will eventually drop into itself like some apocalyptic world about to implode. The thing that scares me most is that melee will die for a crummy reason.

k? k

orintemple

Smash Lord
I knew it'd suck when I saw the trailer, I tried to warn everyone and got flamed 10 000 times over for it, but in the end I was right. yay :p
Its amazing that something that would seem like a troll attempt actually turned out to be legit and true. But hey, someone had to be right. There were only 2 outcomes, the game was good or it was bad. Although, I have a feeling a lot of people thought the same thing you did, but they were way to exciting and hopeful for the opposite, that they didn't want to admit the possibility of the game sucking.

Reese

Smash Journeyman
A couple months ago i dished over 300 bucks for a wii and brawl. Now that I think about it, I spent a whole crapload of money just to spam snake usmash >________> **** I am dumb with money. I am angry at myself for buying a Wii.

DarkFoxNL

Smash Rookie
Me and my friend ewre dying to play brawl, after three days of non stop playing brawl, we went back to melee and had the best time of our lives. Melee doesnt have the super-awesome graphics, the super-awesome soundtrack or the super-awesome characters, but it does have better gameplay.
When I played brawl for the first time, I was playing as c falcon, my favourite character. It just made me sad how he is in Brawl. Same goes for marth and mario. Falcon couldnt combo like he used to in melee, marth.. isnt changed that much really, but he felt different.. and playing as mario just sucks without wavedashing.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
I play Mr.Game&Watch and even though hes a demon and most technical character in Brawl I dont like me winning everytime time. I used to lose in Melee with him but I'm only returning because how much more technical you can be in Melee. Today we had SSBB, SSBM, MK, but all 12 of us played SSBM. Some of us have never touched SSBB!

47drift

Smash Journeyman
I play games to have fun. I don't treat it as some end of the world all importance sport. It's fun. Games were created to be fun.

I find Super Smash Bros. Brawl fun. I also find Super Smash Bros. Melee fun.

As such, I feel no need to compare them. I can have a great time with both, and they're two separate games, for God's sake. I mean, it's not called Super Smash Bros. Melee 2, right?

And besides, why complain about it? Just go back to playing Melee if you're not comfortable with Brawl. No sense whining about something that's already out and a huge hit. So you expected more out of the game; so what? Disappointments happen, and, in my opinion, if a game still has a large audience, it's a success. Sure there are complainers out there for every other game, but there are several supporters.

I consider Brawl being massively different from Melee a win-win situation. If you like the new gameplay, Brawl is for you. If not, then stick with Melee, and leave Brawl be.

That's my stance on the game. Games for gamers, not politicians, if you know what I mean. Keep it fun, not serious. I mean, it's not like we're the ones in charge of making everyone happy, so stop kibitzing those who are.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I think I spent more time actively anticipating Brawl (going to the Dojo, watching e4all vids, talking about it, etc.), then I did playing it and enjoying it... actually, more than I did playing it period, now that I think of it. I've only enjoyed it the first day and a few matches since then.

So I regret that little imbalance.
I must agree, over a year of anticipation and wathcing vids over and over and over again,, and what I get is something so, so, ah I just cant explain the way my heart sank after playing brawl and knowing that it wasnt a good fighting game and it just couldnt live up to the melee name. I went back to melee just two weeks afterwards. It was so hyped and it just didnt deliver, man Im getting sad just thinking about it. im gonna go study melee.

Honestly the only reason I haven't sold brawl yet is because I started making a brawl machinima on a whim and it turned out people liked it.

dude, by el only fact i fell bad about brawl, is, that its killing melee.. but i have think about something, y dont everyone who likes melee more than brawl go to melee, thats what people gotta do.. the people that like more melee tha brawl can quit brawl and make a compettitive melee scene again.. And it would be better because thers not gonna be noobs in the pro scene... its better like this.. COME ON JUSTQUIT BRAWL THE PEOPLE THAT DOESNT LIKE IT COME OON
Brawl has already started die, and melee is coming back from its lapse, search the forums, more melee is popping up and less brawl.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I once stabbed a man for saying "Brawl isn't Melee 2.0."

Yeah...I'm talking to you 47drift...

red stone

Smash Ace
i like that there are few newbies on here. ya know, the 2008 people. not saying they are all nubs, but there are many that are. they don't understand the disappointment that is brawl. they will never know

KyUuKyUu

Smash Ace
Hopefully far away from anybody who wants to know
I seriously believe that almost every gamer here is upset about Brawl simply because they feel that the "advanced" play of fighting has been replaced by an "easier, noob-friendly" set of gameplay.
well, obviously
i mean how would that ever be a good thing?

it's like... putting a goal around the entire perimeter of a soccer field, so nobody ever has to pay attention where to kick, they just have to randomly hit the ball in any direction to score

Zodiac

Smash Master
well, obviously
i mean how would that ever be a good thing?

it's like... putting a goal around the entire perimeter of a soccer field, so nobody ever has to pay attention where to kick, they just have to randomly hit the ball in any direction to score
Well put, I agree completely

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Halo 3 and such made me decide to myself or at least suggest within that video games were possibly dying out (Halo 3 wasn't so bad, just a general decline of a good game). I felt that the depth of most games was just taken out and they were just recycling old used bullsh** and putting it in better graphics, big whoop. Even worse is society really does fall for it. Most people will just go buy a game solely on the basis that it looks SHINY. Nintendo as a company was one I trusted a lot, in fact so much I bought a wii on the basis that I KNEW Brawl was going to be a good game. When Brawl came out me and my friends WITHIN THE ****ing WEEK deducted the game was terrible. I play Brawl strictly to make money and get zero to no satisfaction in the game itself. Its a party game and will never be anything more. Anyway as of now, I do not trust Nintendo, they delivered one good game for the Wii and that was Mario Galaxy. I know that video games are going to be the competive future, but it was definitly halted by this generation of video games. I'll just have to wait another 10 years I guess.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Just to say something real quick...
How the hell, can the creators of the game NOT know how unbalanced and terribly shallow the game they were making was? The first day, THE FIRST DAY I played Brawl my friends and I tried playing as some good ol' captain falcon. He was not the same. Instead Im gonna find him close to bottom tier. How can you make a game like that and not balance it. I mean hell, casual players still care if a character is usuable.

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
as brawl got closer, i got even angrier. with brawl out, that meant no one to play melee with. also they took out y.link. wtf is that. we dont want t.link, we want y.link ! well i do at least. t.link just isnt the same.

drcossack

Smash Ace
Halo 3 and such made me decide to myself or at least suggest within that video games were possibly dying out (Halo 3 wasn't so bad, just a general decline of a good game). I felt that the depth of most games was just taken out and they were just recycling old used bullsh** and putting it in better graphics, big whoop. Even worse is society really does fall for it. Most people will just go buy a game solely on the basis that it looks SHINY. Nintendo as a company was one I trusted a lot, in fact so much I bought a wii on the basis that I KNEW Brawl was going to be a good game. When Brawl came out me and my friends WITHIN THE ****ing WEEK deducted the game was terrible. I play Brawl strictly to make money and get zero to no satisfaction in the game itself. Its a party game and will never be anything more. Anyway as of now, I do not trust Nintendo, they delivered one good game for the Wii and that was Mario Galaxy. I know that video games are going to be the competive future, but it was definitly halted by this generation of video games. I'll just have to wait another 10 years I guess.
I got my Wii on March 21st. I finished SSE 4 days later. I unlocked Toon Link in the middle of April, then I stopped playing Brawl to play some of my older games (NES/SNES era.) I started playing it again at the beginning of the month and quit for good a week ago. I've been playing Melee since.

Just to say something real quick...
How the hell, can the creators of the game NOT know how unbalanced and terribly shallow the game they were making was? The first day, THE FIRST DAY I played Brawl my friends and I tried playing as some good ol' captain falcon. He was not the same. Instead Im gonna find him close to bottom tier. How can you make a game like that and not balance it. I mean hell, casual players still care if a character is usuable.
I testplayed Brawl in Best Buy for 10 minutes twice. At the time, the game didn't feel that different to me, even though I knew I'd be unable to wavedash; I still try to though, since it's so ingrained in my Melee playstyle.

The game is too "floaty" for me - I don't like being forced to play an exclusively Aerial game with Marth - I mix both Aerial and Ground combat in Melee. I'm not a fan of randomly tripping either.

Brawl is just a lot slower. When I picked up Melee again, I was amazed at the speed difference between the two.

replicate

Smash Lord
yeah, I definitely spent more time anticipating Brawl than I did actually playing it.

I was really disappointed because, for me, Brawl just isn't fun to be competitive with, and I quit and went back to Melee.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I just played brawl yesterday...

Honnestly its nowhere near as good as melee..

BUT

it is a great game.. I played it non stop for a good 5 hours, and learned the ropes with jigglypuff marth and wolf. It is a more relaxed and different version of smash and it's just.. relaxed.

I played some melee afterwards and the fun factor was about the same, but I felt more... alive while playing it, like winning and losing depended MORE on my decisions and tech skill.

All in all im not dissapointed with brawl because I thought it would be much worse, but melee is still better. I look forward to playing brawl again :)

And honnestly I enjoy smash 64 more than either melee or brawl. That game takes a LOT of skill, in some ways more than melee due to the extremly difficult DI, and.. a lot of stuff.. But mainly I like it because you can do combos that are ridiculously long, like over 10 hits and that's awesome.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman

No, sorry you were just bad at Melee.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
By reading this, you know that you never went to a tournament, nor did you ever play Melee seriously.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
You know what's a shame, I spent more time rading the updates and going to these forums than I did playing Brawl. And, most of the time I spent playing Brawl, I had this nagging voice at the back of my head making me want it to be Melee. **Sigh**, just thinking of the days where I rushed to my PC to view the updates be in vain feels terrible! Brawl disappointed me in every department:

-Characters: I wanted a few more...not too big of an issue

-Stages: Most stages feel too gimmicky, or too un-inspired. Sky World could have been so much more, and 75m could have been so much better.

-Gameplay: Read the countless other threads

-Singe Player: Melee had better events, and the Adventure mode in this game is WORSE because it takes 7 hours of torture to complete

-Extras: Getting trophies in this game is time consuming (the boring coin launcher). Navigating the trophies just takes too long. The trophies consist almost entierly of characters/objects with already pre-existing 3-D models which meant less 2-D recreations. Melee on the other hand had some original trophies! Brawl does have the Stage Builder...but that's kind of patheting. And, there are LESS BTT in this game!

Online: Self explanatory

Brawl DOES impress graphically...I guess.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
None of them were glitches you dolt, Sakurai even admitted recently he knew about wavedashing in the sense that airdodging into the ground caused sliding based on a characters traction.

They're not glitches, and melee is among the greatest fighting games of all time, and in my opinion the most unique fighter to ever come out for too many to reasons to list. It rewarded all the good skills needed for fighting games, tech skill, prediction, and most of all, creativity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom