• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone besides me glad the characters don't speak in SSE?

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I love VA in games, KH is a great example of it done right... but i wish they included it in brawl... although it would be odd Link attempting to talk lol.

Eh.. I think it still works.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Most Nintendo characters are silent protagonists, or like Mario and have a couple words/sounds for actions and that's it. Because of that, I don't think SSE could really represent the characters if they DID speak, or even have text.

Zero Suit Saums though... I find it really weird that she talks in her taunts. Talking doesn't suit her, but the voice is actually fitting.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yes and no.

Yes because some of the characters would have been flat out annoying (ie; the Ice Climbers, Lucas, Sonic, and probably PT).

No because it could have added more character development for some people (ie; Marth, Samus, Snake, etc) and add more dimensions to the story's plot.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Even if there was voice acting, I don't think it would be very effective anyway, since most characters probably couldn't understand each other.

Pikachu: Pika pika!!
Marth: *Japanese*
Diddy: *monkey*
Bowser: RAWR
Yoshi: Yoshi!
Zamus: ...What?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even if there was voice acting, I don't think it would be very effective anyway, since most characters probably couldn't understand each other.

Pikachu: Pika pika!!
Marth: *Japanese*
Diddy: *monkey*
Bowser: RAWR
Yoshi: Yoshi!
Zamus: ...What?
Actually, Bowser and Diddy can speak in "human tongue." Regarding Marth, his voice could easily be translated for the various regions.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Fire Emblem mostly takes place in a European medivel style era so I suppose could be anything in that reigion... Japanese is probably the least likely one in full honsetly...

But more then anything I think the silence was necessary because finding a common converstation point with characters that have almost nothing in common would have been kinda strange...

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Fire Emblem mostly takes place in a European medivel style era so I suppose could be anything in that reigion... Japanese is probably the least likely one in full honsetly...

But more then anything I think the silence was necessary because finding a common converstation point with characters that have almost nothing in common would have been kinda strange...
Bowser: So...how's that bounty hunting coming along?
Samus: It's alright...I haven't actually been doing much of that lately. Kidnapped Peach lately?
Marth: Hey, look at me!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

But I think that's what the beauty of it would have been though. All these different worlds being forced together and their various residents having to depend on each other to survive. Seriously, how awesome would it have been to have seen Marth and Metaknight exchange a few lines of dialouge before charging into the mob of Primids?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
But I think that's what the beauty of it would have been though. All these different worlds being forced together and their various residents having to depend on each other to survive. Seriously, how awesome would it have been to have seen Marth and Metaknight exchange a few lines of dialouge before charging into the mob of Primids?
The only problem with that is when you try that with characters with no connection the dialogue would probably had not been the best and probably sound forced. As short as the most of the scenes are it would have been resort to a few common phrases that would have just sound corny or bad.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The only problem with that is when you try that with characters with no connection the dialogue would probably had not been the best and probably sound forced. As short as the most of the scenes are it would have been resort to a few common phrases that would have just sound corny or bad.
With that said, it only supports the arguement for a more complex story mode next time around.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
i dont really know anything about the SSE, but its good to know that they dont speak, just so i dont have to hear Sonic speak. Sonic should never, ever, EVER, speak.

Moon/Sun

Smash Apprentice
I was actually in favor of it. Sometimes games can have unecessary conversation of the same subject.
Plus Kirby wouldve been hell to my ears "HIIIIIII!!!!"

...*shudder*

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
It's actually one of my pet peeves that nintendo never does voices VA adds a great deal of character depth and the player can connect to the character more if they have an actual personality.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's actually one of my pet peeves that nintendo never does voices VA adds a great deal of character depth and the player can connect to the character more if they have an actual personality.
At the same time you have fans that view that adding too much personality to some characters can overall ruin them.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
For some, it would seem weird to be silent throughout the entire SSE (Snake, even Mario), but it might be to weird for others to talk normally
(Link; Gyaaaaaaa!, Yoshi; Yoshi!!!, Kirby; Bayo Bayo! [think the tv series], Game & Watch; ??? [beeping?])
What they did voicewise was okay by me.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Snake has the only ACTUAL line in SSE that ISN'T related to moves.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy the characters don't speak its perfect, if it had voices then people would probably bash it for that and it would probably get a lower score...

Hoboman725

Smash Journeyman
Im a little dissapointed theres no dialogue. I mean obviously link shouldn't talk... but some characters could, and the mario characters can talk through subtitles

J18

Smash Journeyman
i think that if there were voices and voices actors, the forums would break with all the threads complaining about the voices

Top Bottom