• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any suggestions for Ike on Wi-fi?

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
I'm not struggling with beating Ike as Sonic nor do I find him a particularly annoying match-up in general. He's notoriously cheap in some aspects and that's what I'm a bit concerned about. Here's the deal.

In a week or two I'll be facing a pretty smug friend of mine online. This match would have occured last weekend, but he was having connection troubles and so-on. To make a long story short, he mains Ike and is pretty confident in himself in just about any fighting game. We both got Brawl day one but we've treated it pretty differently. I play frequently and am pretty good if I do say so. He, on the other hand, doesn't practice too often and I'm not sure how far he is in skill these days. We're about to have our first match since March- he was busy over the summer. I don't fight too often on Wi-fi, I prefer local matches. What it comes down to is that I want to... how shall I put this? Destroy my best friend, for lack of a better way to describe it. ^^" I really can't put up with his arrogant attitude any longer. He pretty much feels like since he's good at fighting games naturally (as am I) he'll be able to compete with me even if I train considerably more than him.

I would greatly appreciate it if a few other Sonic mainers would give some advice on fighting Ike in an online match. I assume it'll be one on one, 5 stock or so, without items, and played on a variety of stages. That may change because he's a bit unpredictable at times. But under those conditions, what would be some of my best options to fall back on? Also, would it be wise to use my secondary- Mario instead of Sonic? Thanks to anyone that can offer wisdom here.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I'll be helpful for once, then I'll flame you for making an unnecessary thread.

- Mindgame him into missing an attack. Then punish him in his end lag.
- Try to get him off the stage. His recovery is crap. Gimping him should not be a problem.

This is not a good matchup for Ike. Sonic should pwn here.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I'm not struggling with beating Ike as Sonic nor do I find him a particularly annoying match-up in general. He's notoriously cheap in some aspects and that's what I'm a bit concerned about. Here's the deal.

In a week or two I'll be facing a pretty smug friend of mine online. This match would have occured last weekend, but he was having connection troubles and so-on. To make a long story short, he mains Ike and is pretty confident in himself in just about any fighting game. We both got Brawl day one but we've treated it pretty differently. I play frequently and am pretty good if I do say so. He, on the other hand, doesn't practice too often and I'm not sure how far he is in skill these days. We're about to have our first match since March- he was busy over the summer. I don't fight too often on Wi-fi, I prefer local matches. What it comes down to is that I want to... how shall I put this? Destroy my best friend, for lack of a better way to describe it. ^^" I really can't put up with his arrogant attitude any longer. He pretty much feels like since he's good at fighting games naturally (as am I) he'll be able to compete with me even if I train considerably more than him.

I would greatly appreciate it if a few other Sonic mainers would give some advice on fighting Ike in an online match. I assume it'll be one on one, 5 stock or so, without items, and played on a variety of stages. That may change because he's a bit unpredictable at times. But under those conditions, what would be some of my best options to fall back on? Also, would it be wise to use my secondary- Mario instead of Sonic? Thanks to anyone that can offer wisdom here.

:ike: + LAG = ???

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Its really as simple as don't fall into Ike Fsmash, or don't fall into his eruption.

Make sure to bair stage spike the bum(lol, I almost said "Stage Bike". New sonic boards trend FTW =P).

Shield alot, grab the heck out of ike, he loses.

And gimp.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
No but seriously.
Wi-fi suits Ike so well...kind of. It's hard for Sonic to control his speed against him and generally avoid stuff Ike throws out.
I've played Empy's Ike online, which is a good Ike, and we were about even on wins (bear in mind he's a better player than me in general that accounted for this.)
Play general baiting out laggy moves game, because there's **** near nothing that Sonic can't punish.
Gimping is easy, except when coming from above, because Ike uair is ****-age.
I couldn't play my usual tilt/grab game thanks to Ike's range, so had to go along with a very spindash/charge orientated game mixed with a lot of aerials, which worked pretty well.

However, I don't think that you're gonna get much help here. Sonic boards aren't renouned for being nice, lol.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Laggy moves? Auto canceled Nair or Fair ASAP frames and Bair? Anyways, how good IS your friend?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Laggy moves?
Usmash, Fsmash, Dsmash, Dtilt, Ftilt, Utilt, Dair, Uair

I think you see where I'm going with this.

Having two or three fast moves doesn't suddenly eliminate the problem of having laggy moves in general.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Usmash, Fsmash, Dsmash, Dtilt, Ftilt, Utilt, Dair, Uair

I think you see where I'm doing with this.

Having two or three fast moves doesn't suddenly eliminate the problem of having laggy moves in general.
What sort of Ike uses those moves without fully knowing how to use them? I was going to list the ways they can be used but instead:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196605

^That's how good Ikes fight.

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I'm grateful to hear some good advice. To answer in order as best I can where it is required...

I said 'cheap in some aspects' because I don't regard him as a cheap character persay, but there's some 'noob-friendliness' in there. Surely we can agree upon that, correct? Not only that, but I know how Ike players get upset about that- so, yeah. Furthermore I wasn't sure where else to make a thread of this type- considering this is the Sonic board. It would be kind of outlandish to ask the Ike mainers, y'know?

Its Wi-fi lag that I'm pretty worried about. Last time we fought he was getting some serious hits in that normally wouldn't have gotten me. It certainly seems to work in his favor.

Anyway, thanks. I'm getting a good idea on how to handle this. It shouldn't be too hard to gimp his Ike since recovery isn't my friend's forte- or at least I would say.

How good is he? I can't say, really. When I fought him back in March we were both getting used to Brawl but he was still a few steps behind me. He played Melee and Smash 64, so he has a background in the Smash series. He's a fighting game buff and generally focuses on offense more than defense. He plays as Ike because he likes power characters that aren't extremely slow. Aside from that, I have no further knowledge on his current skill level.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I know how good Ike's fight.
Like I said, I've already fought a pretty **** good one, and another decent one in person.

Sonic has the feints and such to actually bring out these laggy moves where the Ike is predicting something will happen and punish. Hell, even Ike's retreating fair is pretty punishable, and that's deemed to be one of his safe defensive moves.
Sonic can simply float around mid close range looking for an opening. Hell, even let him approach you and exploit that. As much as approaching him isn't really an issue Ike's offensive approach methods are absolutely garbage, don't feel the need to approach him. Let him approach you and try find some wormhole in his method that you can exploit.

Top Bottom