• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any help/advice?

Clawdsf98

Smash Cadet
Hello there people who are reading this thread lol. i am posting this because i am a new puff player and i would like some advice or help. if any of you great puff players want to help/teach me how to play as puff, that would be great :)

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
Here's a few tips:

1.Jigglypuff, despite common perception, has quite a lot of kill potential:

Rest(very, very powerful, but very, very hard to hit with)
Fsmash
Usmash
Fair(best kill move right here)
Utilt
Dash attack
Rollout

2. Unfortunately, despite having kill potential, her ground moves are kinda the worst in the game. Just about every single one of her ground moves lacks range, priority, speed, strength, or an unfortunate combination of the four.

3. However, that doesn't mean her ground game is completely useless. Fsmash and Usmash are a bit laggy and have small hitboxes, but they can kill and punish well if you time them correctly. Rollout can also be an excellent punisher, and utilt has good kill and combo potential as well. Also, her dash attack is quick and has nice kill power.

(Don't ever use dsmash or dtilt. They're bloody useless.)

4. Jigglypuff actually has a REALLY good grab game. Her grab itself has very good range and speed, her pummel does 3%, and each of her throws do 10-11%. Utilize this a lot.

5. As Jigglypuff, you'll be spending most of your time in the air to compensate for your ground game. Use bair and dair for spacing,approaching, and racking up damage. NEVER use fair as a regular attack- it stales really easily and you need it for killing. Use bair or nair instead. Finally, as for uair, use it for hitting enemies above you. :awesome:

6. As for her specials...

Pound (her side-b) is arguably her best move. It offers infinite horizontal recovery in addition to her six jumps, has a big, enduring hitbox, and TONS of priority. You can even use it for kills in the air, since it sends enemies straight upward.

Rest (down-b) has loads of kill power, and ranks right up there with reverse falcon punches as one of the most satisfying moves in the game to land. :) The hitbox is her body, so you literally need to be in the opponent to land it. The best way to do this is to use dair on the ground and rest when you land in them.

Sing (up-b) is utterly useless. Use it as a taunt.

Rollout(good ol' neutral B) has lots of kill power, but requires you to charge it up. It's pretty easy to anticipate and punish as an opponent, so the best use for it would be to punish landings.

7. Jiggs is, tragically, the lightest character in the game. Practice DIing and SDIing. A lot.

Hope this helps. :D

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Rest sucks. It's not even that strong. Most of the time the moves you get hit by when you miss are much stronger.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Pound is definitely not "arguably her best move". People seem to have an illusion that they can wall with pound because of its disjoints and priority, but if it doesn't hit, you become a helpless floating hitbox.

The Puff guide is located here if you haven't seen it yet.

But if you want to really win with Puff, the best advice is:
Use Metaknight.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I would advise the best place to start is the guide.
It's slightly OOD, but it's a good place to start.

After that, go to the General Discussion thread and you can ask anything you'd like.
We have MAtch Ups that we write about in here, and we do about 1 per week.

Welcome to the puff boards, friend.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't really underrate Rest. I use it a lot and I can land it pretty well. It's just almost never worth the risk included, making the move mostly unviable to use.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Everything is awesome when you use it right. Rest just requires inhuman precision to pull off consistently and I don't see it's viable.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
OR delphino in the water.
Or punishing bad rolls.

Multiple hit moves.

bad airdodges.

All viable.
I get ALOT of drill rests.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
Quite honestly, any character that can kill by simply falling asleep is more badass than MK.

Don't underestimate Rest.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I totally know how and when to use Rest and so on. I totally know a lot about it, don't underestimate me either. It's just if you look at such moves like Fox Usmash. It's almost as powerful, but instead of being hard to land, it's hard to avoid and using it at the wrong time doesn't get you punished nearly as bad and Fox isn't even the lightest character in the game.

Top Bottom