• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

any chain advice?

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

I've been reading a lot about the chain and its incredible usefulness against some characters. There is also the chain lock and the reverse chain lock. This is all awesome and everything, but my only problem is using the chain effectively during a match and getting people into the chain lock. Any advice? Thanks.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I assume you've read Sinking Higher's sticky? http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=179565 That should give all the information you need on the regular and reverse chainlock.

Here's some chain notes:
- For grounded damage racking, a Down-Down to Down-Right motion is best and quickly toggling between the two.
- You may have heard some character's can't get through the chain in certain places e.g. Ganondorf, MK from the top and front etc. and some character's are harder to keep out with the chain then others. With Ganondorf, you can basically flail the chain in Ganondorf's direction and he can't get through, however MK requires much more precision thanks to his speed, range and small size. FF D Air's require very good reactions, so you're going to need practice.
- Don't be overzealous in general chain usage, it's great situationally but character's will punish it with projectile or whatever if they predict it. Unless they can't even if they do predict it :p

demodemo

Smash Ace
step 1 : short hop
step 2 : hold the analog stick to the side and press and hold b
step 3 : move joystick down, to downforward (like south, southeast)
step 4: ???
step 5: PROFIT

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Whenever I try to do that, my opponent would just roll away or SH and do an attack.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
If your opponent rolls away, then retract the chain, you're back to neutral, no harm done. Though the SH Chain is as hard to 'just roll away' from as any attack, so don't apply that mentality.
Shiek's chain has massive range, your opponent shouldn't be able to just 'SH and do an attack' through it because you (if using the chain correctly) hit them first because you outrange them.
It would help to know what character your opponent is.

silver0p

Smash Journeyman
1. frozen for some reason when i look at your sig it looks like your image is moving...

2. i usaly do teh short hop before deplying because of the chance you chain jacket it. and becuase it has good knock back dammage. if yoru nto playing aginst somone who is like smart then if your by the edge i just camp them out and they come running in *how dumb of them* then i can usaly just keep batting away at them and they just keep coming trying to break threw also by doing this at an edge they cant really roll doge you or jump behind you because of the edge (well they can but they usaly would just get hit on the back hit or idk)
3. even if you do this and lets say your playing pit and he shoots you then you just fall off and grab the ledge then they rush the ledge and you can usaly drop jump and fair them

idk thats what i do and i dont really get punished for it.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Something to keep in mind about the chain is that even if a opponent has a range attack that can go though the chain and it does hit you it can still be worth the risk of using the chain.

I can see the chain being very useful to destroy the "Flow" of a match like say if mario is giving you a lot of shield pressure if you whip out the chain even if you only hit him twice before he can jump away and shot a fire ball you still interrupt him and his mindset plus did more damage he could accomplish with that single fire ball.

This may be a bad example since Mario fireballs are like top tier for approaching but doing this to say falco, pit or who ever, (maybe not full charge up B moves like samus) is well worth it even if you miss completely because of the reward of doing a successful amount of hits is well worth it.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Okay, thanks everybody.

Today, I came in 9th in a brawl tourny, and I lost....to a snake. I feel that if I learn to use the chain effectively, then i'll place higher(even though a few pros are in the tourny) and help shiek in the tier listing. So I'll be practicing with the chain till next tourny. Thanks again =).

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Okay, thanks everybody.

Today, I came in 9th in a brawl tourny, and I lost....to a snake. I feel that if I learn to use the chain effectively, then i'll place higher(even though a few pros are in the tourny) and help shiek in the tier listing. So I'll be practicing with the chain till next tourny. Thanks again =).
Good **** good ****, but before you get any silly idea that learning the chain will magically help you in all your match up's let me just tell you this.

The chain is 100% completely useless against Snake, don't even bother he will just ftilt you out or chuck a explosive in your face. Even if he approach in the air he can just drop a grenade after the first hit or two which comes out in 2 frames and force you out that way.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Okay, thanks everybody.

Well done repping Sheik, how many participants?

Agreed with Tristan btw, the chain is very matchup dependant, in some it's a considerable tool, in others it's completely useless. Maybe we should compile a list for who the chain is effective on. Not listing the whole roster, just one's where it's either very useful or shouldn't be bothered with. Thoughts?

Villi

Smash Lord
So today I tried to drag my chain against Marth and was rewarded by two consecutive tipper fsmashes. I have it on video... my chain traded with the first tipper and another one came out and tipped me again. T_T

Chain lock tends not to be good against chars who have a good 5 frame attack. The farther away, the less rapidly the chains hitboxes appear too. The reverse chain lock makes it harder to escape because it turns them to face the other direction. That won't really stop a tenacious Snake's ftilt, tho.

Short hop chain tends to be a low risk activity even if it is punishable. It's very difficult to punish since it outranges most strong attack and aerials are avoidable if not beatable. Most methods of punishing it, like a Mario fireball, are easy enough to brush off.

I have a bad habit of challenging crossups with my chain. It's probably the best way to let yourself get punished if you see them jump over you and you don't immediately retract your chain. Next time I might just retract it and short hop it in the other direction... lol

It works reeaaallly well against ZSS' tether, I think. Hanging it off the ledge, you can damage her before she's able to sweet spot from pulling herself up.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Chain locks are somewhat easy to set up but you need to be able to recognise the opportunity.

These are my favourite ways to do it:

1. When an opponent is recovering or on a platform above you (like Battlefield) swing the chain. Like Nayru's Love, the opponent always moves in the direction Sheik is facing. Basically when the opponent is above and behind you, swing the chain in circles/in their general direction until they're close then wiggle that stick. iirc, the chain can actually pull people through the platforms. Perhaps it was just the opponent DIing.

2. SHFFChain when you see a laggy attack (some of Ike's Smashes for example, or G's Warlock Punch) you can deploy the chain in the air so when you land the lock is already in effect. Timing this is a little difficult, since you have to place yourself perfectly as not to get hit.

3. Chain lock edgeguarding. If you position yourself just near the ledge you can actually chainlock someone trying to recover from below the stage. Marth and GW are able to get through the chain, but falco and fox... well... just lol.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Well done repping Sheik, how many participants?

Agreed with Tristan btw, the chain is very matchup dependant, in some it's a considerable tool, in others it's completely useless. Maybe we should compile a list for who the chain is effective on. Not listing the whole roster, just one's where it's either very useful or shouldn't be bothered with. Thoughts?
There were about 50-60 participants including the pros. IDK if you know them, but they go by Desu, Reflex, and Kismet. And yes, I believe that we should make a list for who the chain is effective on. It would help me out a lot :chuckle:.

Thanks SinkingHigher for the chain lock tips =). One question though is how do you get opponents into a reverse chain lock?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
With ease.

If they're standing behind you swing the chain in circles and with one hit they're in position for the lock instantly.

If you mean how do you DO the lock instead of setting it up, just wiggle the joystick between down+downback instead of down+down forward. Wiggle the joystick closer towards the bottom or left/right depending on which why they try to DI. With certain characters and people that don't know DI I've been able to chainlock until over 150%. Fun stuff.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just practice doing it, imo. Your own personal experiences will teach you how it works better than listening to any of us will. Don't be afraid (or too lazy) to experiment.

Also, you're an idiot if you chain lock against Marth.

Top Bottom