• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animazement 2009 Raleigh N.C?

Jon?

Smash Champion
I went to Animazement for the past two years. Last year was one of my first Brawl tournaments, before much advanced tech was discovered so I everyone was still developing their gameplay and style. From my own experiences from the past, it was loads of fun!

The tournament last year was single elimination, best 2/3with about 100+ brawlers in the tournament, no counter-picking rules, and random neutrals on every match. The set up was 4 wii's and 4 50" projectors. First rounds was hell, because if you were in the back of the bracket, you would have to wait about an hour to an hour and a half until your first match so best thing to do was scout around the players to see competition. Unfortunately, there wasn't a teams tournament.

The room was filled with lots of "scrubs" so there will be lots of people shouting in the background if some pro **** happens, which I think is pretty fun too. In terms of the people that show up, about 15-20% of the players there actually know what they are doing.

I wasn't sure about the prizes because I left after being eliminated by friend, Keith in the 3rd of 4th round... the top players of the tournament 2 years back won something from the dealer room, so no big cash prizes.

If you like anime, I would really recommend coming to Animazment for funsies and to show off your brawl skills in front of lots of people. The tournament itself starts around late afternoon and goes to about midnight, but the convention is 3 days long! Other than the tournament, there are tons of wii's set up for friendly battles (teams, singles, FFA <- lolwut).

This year me, Keith, and ares will be going along with other friends who play brawl, hopefully we'll see some NC brawlers there!

Vilt

Smash Lord
I'll be there just for the love of anime. But if you really need me I'll be in the game room like 75% of the time.

Vilt

Smash Lord
SMITH if you go! You are not allowed to leave my side. Young bros like you attracts lots of girls. You gotta cosplay tho.

Zakosai

Smash Apprentice
I hope you guys will join me in some Melee if I set it up. We can play Brawl online any day of the week, but a gathering of smashers in real life calls for some rare Melee action, right?

Vilt

Smash Lord
I hope you guys will join me in some Melee if I set it up. We can play Brawl online any day of the week, but a gathering of smashers in real life calls for some rare Melee action, right?
Actually I don't think you can. They pay someone to set things up so I believe everything is pre-planned. I remember last year that someone had to bring a TV/GC and melee in order for us to play. A convention is the one place I would never take any of that. So many people there that if something happened to my **** I wouldn't know whos *** to kick.

Edit: SMITH, you are putting that **** on and hanging with me.

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
man, i forgot about animazement... i guess since me and the pembroke guys planned on going to evo. that we forgot about that... hmph...

majors

Smash Rookie
Actually I don't think you can. They pay someone to set things up so I believe everything is pre-planned. I remember last year that someone had to bring a TV/GC and melee in order for us to play. A convention is the one place I would never take any of that. So many people there that if something happened to my **** I wouldn't know whos *** to kick.
No one is paid from the game room, I should know. Nothing is really planned except for the lay out and list of tourney games, we can swap stuff arround but since it's OUR game room, we do as we want...like NO HALO. If you want (old and busted) Melee, I would advise at least bringing some GC pads. I know most of ours will be used on Brawl. I've got at least one copy of the game...but no save file, so bring that too and we can copy it.

The Brawl tourney is gonna be 128 man instead of the maddess of 256. It's sigle elim, standard accepted rules (which I do not know).

Remember, I hate Smash...

Jon?

Smash Champion
Alright, Animazement is less than a week away!

Me and Keith plan on doing crew battles. Me and him vs all of animazement. 3 stocks per player. We are looking for PR players to join our side to make us seem not as over powered.

edit* From my calculations, it will be 6 stock (if only me and keith) vs about 150+ stocks. Seems fair.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Okay, here's the lineup and strategy:
Me (falco) : lasers and cg
Keith (snake): explosions and OP
Karn (metaknight): gay and gay

Foxxy

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, this is Foxy, my regular account for the past few days has oddly been unable to access the regional forums. No idea what happened.

Anyways, I've gone to Animazement (and other cons) for the past 3 years, it's always a total BLAST playing Smash for 15 hours a day for three days... insane amounts of practice, tons of noobs to ****, and lots of people to impress. Usually there's like 3 real Melee players, looks like it'll be better this year.

I don't think there was a cash prize for last year's Brawl tourney (200+ people were in it, but no entrance fee so it was just something con-related). I got 3rd or 4th in that, Ali won it, I don't remember any of the other top placers being known people.

I'm definitely bringing Melee, as usual... the staff is usually very understanding, last year GofG and I were treated like Smash experts and were allowed to switch Melee and Brawl whenever we wanted, even though they had only intended to run two Brawl setups.

There's always multiple Smash TV's. If you've never played Smash at a convention before, they are usually FFA matches with tournament rules, although I've always thought time matches would be more fair to people waiting to play and so camping wouldn't be stupid... but oh well. Sometimes we set up teams matches, those are fun but usually two good players sit there undefeated for hours in teams.

Right now I'm going HOLY **** this is going to be way better than any other Animazement. Karn, Zero, Vilt, SLASHER KING, Plur... so much more than usual. This is gonna be some goddarn good Melee practice.

I'll be there Friday to Sunday, sitting at the Melee setup.

If you want to know anything about playing Smash at Animazement before you decide whether it's worth the admission price, just ask me anything. I'm a convention veteran, I've done nothing but Smash at 10+ conventions. I know how it all works pretty well, so just shoot me anything if you wanna make a better decision.

So hyped to see all you bros there, I love each and every one of you.

(oh, anime cons is also the single reason i got into smash and got better at it xD)

Edit: Don't forget, 40 hours for money matches. I'll be ready.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
If I come to this, who will house me? I'll play you in Meree and maybe in Brawl with my amazing Snake, if I feel up to it. I don't feel like having to pay for a hotel room.

Not 100% on whether I'll go or not, just wondering.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I know the actual convention center has sold out rooms for 3 night stays. It may have some for just Saturday afternoon-night but that is highly unlikely. There is also another hotel down the road where me and a few friends are staying. They might have some rooms available.

Foxxy

Smash Cadet
plur, have my babies

i'll team with you in melee noob-****** fo sho.

Foxxy

Smash Cadet
PLUR, you also gotta bring my hoodie for me. =D

I'll call you to make sure you remember or something... 'cause I want it back.

Top Bottom