• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animator(s) Needed for Two new taunts for Snake

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
Dude this is pissing me off, everytime I notify you it's ok to come to my chat, I am doing my homework... Ok, I think it's ok..

I'm usually being forced (by my parents) to be doing somthing else and it's annoying.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Here's my MGS4 Old Snake hybrid if anyone wants it - the head is by Pik, and everything else is by Gyarando. I touched up the Solid Eye straps and added the missing one that runs through Snake's hair:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i1ic5bhcsibmdvv

If that's not the Old Snake hybrid with my minor Solid Eye edits, tell me and I'll fix it.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Question roundup for page 11:
- From a top-down view, is the smoke alignable with the center of Snake's head? The smoke is currently only noticeably misaligned when Snake smokes facing left; Smoking facing right is aligned well enough.

Working on it, or rather waiting for an oppurtunity to actually test it.

- Is the Cloaking Device taunt finished? Does the animation stop with
Snake crouching on one knee, or does he still bow all the way down?

I want to finish the Basic/Vanilla version before I tweak this.

- How did the cigarette import go? Did the replacement work over any item(s)?

It worked, but like I said, it's too big and I can't import the vertexes as it causes errors.

- What next? The Basic Pack is almost done.
Finishing the basic pack.
Since my bro has been omnipresent, I haven't been able to turn on my Wii in a while, so I'm a sitting duck.....

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the answers, Eternal Yoshi - just one more question left over:

Also, what do you think of giving the Smoking taunt a hitbox where the cigarette hits the ground? It could work just like Luigi's down taunt, except with fire:

Luigi's down taunt spike - Basic example

Luigi's down taunt spike - More examples

...This would probably be overkill, since Snake already has the box for taunt kills, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

If you can't shrink the cigarette, that will make things a bit simpler, actually - we won't need to make a third pack, only Basic and Stealth packs.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Yes it is. I was thinking of having it be a hitbox that burns you and instead of spiking, it eats more of the shield.
Not in the Vanilla pack.

I made a version for Guard Slayer Snake, my broken Snake PSA where Smoking hurts him, but slows down time, like it slows down the timer in the MSX Metal Gear.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
Smoking is gonna be a win.
But I'm sure if it was still the summer we would already be done and probably making all kinds of crazy stuff.

Good ol' summer days.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Yes it is. I was thinking of having it be a hitbox that burns you and instead of spiking, it eats more of the shield.
Not in the Vanilla pack.
So, you didn't like this idea:

Also, what do you think of giving the Smoking taunt a hitbox where the cigarette hits the ground? It could work just like Luigi's down taunt, except with fire:

Luigi's down taunt spike - Basic example

Luigi's down taunt spike - More examples

...This would probably be overkill, since Snake already has the box for taunt kills, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Burning instead of spiking makes more sense, and may be more balanced... But I don't think that shield-eating properties would make much of a difference with the cigarette's current trajectory. Offensively, it only seems suitable as a flashy ledgeguard attack...

And since you said, "Not in the Vanilla pack," I take it that you want the Vanilla Smoking taunt to have no hitbox at all. In that case, I say that - for simplicity's sake - we just have that version as the definitive Smoking taunt. No hitbox, no damage, just a quick taunt. That means you only have to get the flame the right size, and center the smoke when Snake taunts facing left. Then the Vanilla pack is done!

As for the Stealth pack, the only differences will be the Cloaking Device over Smoking, and Enhanced Box over Vanilla box (if that's even possible).

So, Eternal Yoshi, now that the Vanilla/Basic pack is almost done - do you think the Enhanced Box is possible? Have you looked into it at all yet? I'm guessing you're busy with other things currently, but please give us an update next time you're here.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
You've only got one computer? That must be annoying when you have to share it.

Anyhow, I don't mean to be impatient - I'm just excited that we're almost done with Snake's new taunts. I hope you find some time to finish 'em up soon. :)

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Very. Especailly when the time he takes is greater than the time that the MGS3 cutscenes take when you want to do a 5-minute edit.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=12498&Moderated=All

What is this? I haven't tried this out. Is it possible he could of taken the ideas from our thread.

An idea just stolen, my friends, is right in front of us.
Not trying to make a big deal, but really, do you think he was trying to help us or use it for himself?

Xigger has had that in his sig longer than this thread has existed.
He's had that planned since July.

I can improve upon it by making Snake actually crawl in the box.

In other news, I made the flame a bit smaller. Any smaller and you may not be able to see it without pausing and using unrestricted pause camera.

The smoke is also better aligned with his face when he faces left now.
Nevermind.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089

In other news, I made the flame a bit smaller. Any smaller and you may not be able to see it without pausing and using unrestricted pause camera.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman

Ok, good. I'm glad. Can't wait til' Gray Fox with the armgun article.
Besides Snake never "crawled" he walked and ran in it.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice

Snake never "crawled" he walked and ran in it.
Terminator is correct - technically, Snake does not crawl under the box; he walks while crouched. To illustrate, here are some examples I found on YouTube:

MGS: PW Brief Love Box demo

MGS: PW general gameplay

MGS: PW Boxes Briefing

MGS4: GotP Box demo

Great! Thanks for adding these last two bits of polish to the Smoking taunt. :)

So, is the Vanilla/Basic Pack ready for release? I'll test the new version when you post a link.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
This.
http://www.mediafire.com/?63keg35d5ib4dqk

I can do that. I made the Nikita MUCH faster using Tabuu.
You can see proof in my update of Guard Slayer Snake.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=11938
Wait a minute - Does this mean his RPG (side smash) spawns it with custom animations? Or does his regular Nikita spawn it?

Nevermind, I tested it in Brawlbox, he still points it at the ground...
Can't you make it where he aims the RPG-7 and IT spawns a Nikita Missle article that goes about 3x as faster as Falco's lasers. The explosion on impact should be as strong as it would normally would when he aims it at the ground.

It should also be uncontrollable, and it should have infinite range.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I just got finished testing the latest version of your Smoking taunt, Eternal Yoshi.

The new flame size is perfect - not so big that Snake seems to breathe fire, and not too small to be seen from a distance:

From a top-down view, you aligned the smoke with the center of Snake's head perfectly:

Facing left:

Facing right:

There are only two more minor quirks you might want to address:

1.) Looking at Snake smoking head-on, I noticed that - while the flame is centered correctly - Snake's thumb and pointer finger are not in line with the flame:

2.) As Snake tilts his head a bit back when he inhales, his neck assumes an odd angle, relative to his spine:

I'm guessing #1 is an easy fix, and #2 is probably more trouble than it's worth. Smoking V0.75 is more than good enough for release - if you decide to adjust one or both of those last two bits I mentioned, I think that will be the final spot of polish.

Moving on to the Vanilla/Basic Box - we're leaving it as the unmodified original up taunt, right? Meaning only the Stealth pack will have the enhanced Box features?

As always, excellent work!

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
On a separate note, Eternal Yoshi, I also tested your Guard Slayer Snake V1.5. My observations:

- The Nuke Final Smash is awesome, but if you activate it in midair, the game freezes.

- Smoking slows down other players, but also causes glitches like the Stopwatch did in Brawl+ before it was fixed: Rolling, airdodging, and (unconfirmed) ledgegrabbing cause slowed players to move much further than normal, often sending them offscreen. Grabbing a slowed player instantly KOs them.

- Shield-dropped, thrown grenades have odd trajectories - one thrown one straight ahead follows a higher, more diagonal trajectory than normal (which seems of little use to me), and grenades thrown down into the ground bounce as high as they would go if thrown upwards: Off the screen, not to be seen again (of even less use IMO).

- The proximity mines are nice, but sticky bombs would be more useful - Snake already has a proximity explosive, the land mines.

Less important observations/thoughts:

- I love the new fair, utilt, ftilt, and AAA combo. Triple mortar into utilt is fun, and a sweetspotted fair is effectively a OHKO since it takes so long for the opponent to unfreeze. The ftilt has great power and shield-breaking properties, as does the AAA combo, which is also an infinite combo.

- The hyper crawl is hilarious. XD

- The following moves feel underpowered IMO, if you're shooting for Onslaught Falcon level broken-ness: dtilt, bair, and possibly nair, dair, uthrow, dthrow, and dash attack.

- Some ideas: Give bair a sweetspot, make dtilt at least trip, have the final hit of dair stomp grounded opponents into the ground, buff grenades somehow, and have dthrow put opponents to sleep (but not if they can only sleep standing up, obviously).

That's all I've got for now. :)

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
My game doesn't freeze when it activates in midair.
I don't experience glitches with throws either.
I've been testing it for over a week and haven't experinced these issues.

You may have to DL again and try again.

Or maybe it has to do with the codeset you have.

It fixed Goddess Zelda from Freezing in my game.

I still remember when Goddess Zelda froze the game on the CSS, but I re-DL'd it stopped freezing.

Anyway, the trajectory is because of the increased throwing power.

Because grenades are in the common3.pac, they are kinda out of my hands ATM. same goes for the box.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
My game doesn't freeze when it activates in midair.
I don't experience glitches with throws either.
I've been testing it for over a week and haven't experinced these issues.

[...] maybe it has to do with the codeset you have.
Hmm, it must have something to do with the Brawl+ codeset. That's the one I was testing on.

Anyway, the trajectory is because of the increased throwing power.

Because grenades are in the common3.pac, they are kinda out of my hands ATM.
That's fine, then. Grenades are still useful - there's just less reason to shield-drop them now.

same goes for the box.
So you can not animate the Enhanced Box for now? If not, the Stealth Pack will have to wait... And I assume that this means that your answer to my last question in my second-to-last post...

Moving on to the Vanilla/Basic Box - we're leaving it as the unmodified original up taunt, right? Meaning only the Stealth pack will have the enhanced Box features?
...is "Yes".

What about points #1 and #2?

There are only two more minor quirks you might want to address:

1.) Looking at Snake smoking head-on, I noticed that - while the flame is centered correctly - Snake's thumb and pointer finger are not in line with the flame:

2.) As Snake tilts his head a bit back when he inhales, his neck assumes an odd angle, relative to his spine:

I'm guessing #1 is an easy fix, and #2 is probably more trouble than it's worth. Smoking V0.75 is more than good enough for release - if you decide to adjust one or both of those last two bits I mentioned, I think that will be the final spot of polish.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I can animate the box since it attaches itself to the ThrowN bone, but I can't mod the hitbox until I can decrypt the hitbox shown in Tabuu.

Time manipulating moves always malfunction in Brawl+.

Remember this.

I could probably make him aim the rocket launcher upwards for an upangled Fsmash.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
I can animate the box since it attaches itself to the ThrowN bone, but I can't mod the hitbox until I can decrypt the hitbox shown in Tabuu.
No hurry, then. What do you think of those last two bits I mentioned about the Smoking taunt?

Time manipulating moves always malfunction in Brawl+.

Remember this.
Will do. Is this true for Brawl- as well?

I could probably make him aim the rocket launcher upwards for an upangled Fsmash.
You mean aiming upwards diagonally? I don't think that would be very useful... I'd say either leave fsmash as-is, or try Terminator's idea to make it fire straight forward.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman

You mean aiming upwards diagonally? I don't think that would be very useful... I'd say either leave fsmash as-is, or try Terminator's idea to make it fire straight forward.
Anything is better than leaving it as-is. Anything. I hate how he points it at the ground, just stupid. It's Big Boss who does that. Solid Snake is the one who actually makes it a useful projectile and aims it like how your supposed too. Like I said before, Nintendo must of hired a bunch of drunk programmers to make Snake.

They made Snake and remixed the MGS songs as if he belongs to Nintendo. Besides, why did they remix Encounter anyway? Hideo Kojima team and the Konami team are supposed to do that NOT Nintendo. Remixes are just horrible the way Nintendo makes them. Plus the making of Solid Snake looks like his games suck, which they do not. Just look at the codec calls. It would of been better if they used MGS4 codecs or at least MGS2 codecs. Plus his default textures.

Thankfully we got hacks to make this better, which is the exact reason for Irishladdie
making his thread.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Sigh.......

Actually they both aim it.

They couldn't just use his default textures because Solid Snake does not have enough team friendly colors/costumes.

The Folks at Kojima Productions should have been the ones to remix encounter, but I like Ninty's Theme of Tara remix. Akahira Honda(MGS:pO and MGS4 Music) DID do the Brawl version of the Theme of Love.

MGS2 and MGS4 codecs wouldn't have made sense in a Brawl environment, much less on SMI.
Pity there is no Big Shell stage though.

Moving on, I may use the idea for Guard Slayer Snake.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
Sigh.......

Actually they both aim it.

They couldn't just use his default textures because Solid Snake does not have enough team friendly colors/costumes.

The Folks at Kojima Productions should have been the ones to remix encounter, but I like Ninty's Theme of Tara remix. Akahira Honda(MGS:pO and MGS4 Music) DID do the Brawl version of the Theme of Love.

MGS2 and MGS4 codecs wouldn't have made sense in a Brawl environment, much less on SMI.
Pity there is no Big Shell stage though.

Moving on, I may use the idea for Guard Slayer Snake.
I forgot Big Boss pointed it lol. Yeah, agreed. Encounter sucks lol. Should of used the original or MGS4 version. I do like Theme of Tara, though I replaced it with my Gray Fox theme.
MGS4 remix sucks, and it should of been original. I do have a BRSTM that makes the song the original, though.
Well, you got an idea there. Have MGS1 Codecs on SMI, have MGS2 codecs on Big Shell. You should add (or try) that to your Big Shell stage you made. Maybe Liquid Ocelot's ship Outer Heaven should have MGS4 codecs.

Yeah, Guard Slayer Snake should have the pointable RPG-7. I also textured the RPG-7 itself to look the way it did in MGS4. It's in that pack I released. Same with the Mortar.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I know. I can't seem to get it in an easy format to edit it.
Tabuu doesn't show it as a normal offensive collision.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
I adressed the first one already, and the second one MIGhT be interloping being retarted again.
I can't test them in game, so I'll put up the side taunt after I address his neck.

Edit:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8nyr9rcv1mtd2md
I tested the updated Smoking taunt, AppealSX.chr0 (I didn't remove the "X" when I replaced the Smoking 0.75 AppealS.chr0 in BrawlBox... Not a problem, I hope).

Snake's thumb and pointer finger now line up with the middle of his mouth when he smokes, but the flame is off center to the left:

Snake's neck still assumes an odd angle when he inhales, but this is not that noticeable:

Facing left:

Facing right:

Thanks for going the extra mile adding these last bits of polish, Eternal Yoshi. I think it really does make a big difference in the quality of the final product. :)

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
I am one inch away from getting those textures from MGS:TTS. Imagine what we could do with those models, Bent. This means more epic hacks! Maybe we could use Snake's MGS:TTS Box walking animations and use them for your project idea.

Bent 00

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm hoping Eternal Yoshi will be able to include the moving and C4/grenade silent drop functions in the Stealth pack box. I thought the Cloaking Device was fun to use, so I'm looking forward to using the Stealth pack in Brawl-. :)

Good luck getting the rest of those MGS: tTS textures, Terminator.

xxTerminatorxx

Smash Journeyman
Good luck getting the rest of those MGS: tTS textures, Terminator.
If your wondering, I'm gonna put those to good use.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=15021.msg259099#msg259099

Eternal Yoshi came on my chat today and told me how to rip - but I am stuck at this one point where Solidus (texture ripping program) crashes when loading the STAGE.dat file that contains the textures. After about 15 minutes, a screen pops us saying:

Out of memory.
If I get this fixed, that thread I mentioned will be very usful to others.

Look at the Sniper Rifle model and the Helicopter model :)

Somone answer the question: Could I use animations from MGS:TTS in Brawl? For example, use the Box walking animations and port them over to the walking box project we are working on.

Top Bottom