• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animal Crossing stage "Smashville" confirmed. Animal Crossing character next?

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
Since a new Animal Crossing stage has just been confirmed, the chances of an Animal Crossing character are almost doubled. Also the fact that with the stage was confirmed with an Animal Crossing emblem, triples the chances. However, most of the Animal Crossing characters that would be playable appear in the background of Smashville, so...

I'm completely stumped here. Do you guys think that this stage means a new AC character?::chuckle:

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Possible, but whom?... If not there may be stages from games and no characters meaning... No Yoshi? Unlikely though.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
"Every franchise with a symbol has a playable character." Going by this logic, the answer is yes, Animal Crossing will recieve a playable character. It is also backed up by the FACT that Dr. Wright doesn't have a SimCity symbol as SimCity isn't a franchise with a playable character.

"Every franchise with a stage/item will recieve a symbol indicating where it came from, even if it doesn't have a playable character." Going by this logic, it is safe to say that Animal Crossing may not recieve a playable character. The same can be said about Yoshi.

Because they are both Assist Trophies, Samurai Goroh and Dr. Wright should have recieved the same symbol (Smash Emblem [which indicates a Smash exclusive item.]) However, Samurai Goroh recieved an F-Zero icon while Dr. Wright recieved nothing from SimCity. This helps to back up the first theory (that only items/stages with playable characters will recieve icons.)

"Franchise symbols don't indicate playable characters!" Going by this logic, the answer is no, Animal Crossing will not recieve a playable character. Using this logic also removes the possability that Yoshi will return.

It's possible that any of these could be correct, however, there is more evidence supporting the first.

My theory is that Nook will only be in the background when he is not being played...

Blackadder

Smash Master
*puts fingers in ears*
LALALALALALALAALAAA!!!

Seriosuly, I coulden't stand the idea of AC characters becoming playable..
it's depressing to think of.
It's a sad world, where everyone seems to wan't AC people...

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
It is a definite possibility, especially when you look at the symbol. Look here:

When Samurai Goro was confirmed as an AT, his update was given under the F-Zero symbol. No big deal, right? He's from F-Zero, so he should have an appropriate symbol. That's very true, until you look at this:

When Dr. Wright was announced, it was under that Smash Bros symbol. Not one for SimCity. Since Dr. Wright is the only character in SimCity, it's pretty safe to say another character from that game won't make it in as playable. So what does that tell us? It tells us that Sakurai and his team are not creating symbols for franchises that are not getting playable characters. Only symbols that are going to be used in-game for character icons and victory screens exist. Now looky here:

An Animal Crossing Symbol, right?

This definitely bodes well for an AC character to end up as playable. Very, very well. But since all of the major characters are shown in the BG of the new shots, I can't imagine who it would be.

Edit: Ferro beat me to it, huh? Stupid dial-up internet. >_>

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Dial-up? People still use that thing?

I will also point out, Tiger, that not ALL the major characters are shown in the background.

Resettii is nowhere to be seen.

bksands77

Smash Journeyman
I would say that HiddenTiger said it best

i agree with Ferro De Lupe's theory that Nook is only in the background when no one is playing as him, i dont think that they would make an animal crossing symbol for no reason, and nook seems to be the best candidate for a character from animal crossing

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
If 2 people can play as Mario at one time, I have a feeling that one in the background could still have a chance. Maybe that character wont appear if played.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Dial-up? People still use that thing?
Where I live, it's the only thing I've got.. >_<

I will also point out, Tiger, that not ALL the major characters are shown in the background.

Resettii is nowhere to be seen.
Oh, ho ho ho... *devilish laugh*

Edit: To expand on what Oxyborb just pointed out, remember that Fox could still use the secret taunt to call the Star Fox team on Star Fox stages when Falco was already on stage, and vice versa. It's not so much of a stretch to imagine Nook could be playable and still appear in the BG.

Blackadder

Smash Master
If 2 people can play as Mario at one time, I have a feeling that one in the background could still have a chance. Maybe that character wont appear if played.
Anyone here recall seeing Bowser in the jumping about in the background of Peaches castle? Me either.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Anyone here recall seeing Bowser in the jumping about in the background of Peaches castle? Me either.
Would you mind elaborating a bit on what you mean Adder? I'm not quite following what you're saying. *NOTE* I just pulled an all-nighter, so my mind is on the frits right now.

Blackadder

Smash Master
It was a slightly sarcastic comment towards the "Tom Nook being in the baclground doesn't deconfirme him"
I mean, we never say Bowser in the background of Melee, so thats just a point to the oddness of that stament.
Don't think to hard on it :p

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
It was a slightly sarcastic comment towards the "Tom Nook being in the baclground doesn't deconfirme him"
I mean, we never say Bowser in the background of Melee, so thats just a point to the oddness of that stament.
Don't think to hard on it :p
I don't think I could if I wanted to right now.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Well, then, if not Nook then perhaps Animal Crosser instead? I know both a boy and a girl are also shown in the BG, but in AC:WW, you can have up to four different ones living in the same house, and have a bunch visit from other towns as well. That could still work just as well as Ol' Nooky.

Blackadder

Smash Master
^^^
@Ferro
Me either, I'm tired, and kinda ticked of, so if my posts sound a little grumpy, thats just sleepiness kicking in, sorry to anyone I've annoyed recently.
What are we on about again?
AC characters, was it?
..arent I on 2 threads about this?

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Well, it seems the minimum level for a franchise to need it's own symbol is if they get a stage, as if melee (and I believe SSB) is anything to go by, the symbol will appear when the stage is selected. Items and trophies don't need a symbol because there's never an instance where the symbol will show up, so it's a wasted effort, which is why DR Wright uses the smash symbol.

It also seems that items only get a symbol if they can be attributed to a certain franchise that's already repped or appeared (pokeballs from pokemon, Goroh from F-Zero (come on, as if Captain Falcon wasn't going to return)), otherwise they aren't given a specific one, so it seems items don't call for their own personal symbol.

At the very least, AC has a stage now, and it's not entirely out of the question that it's all it's getting. Granted, it's too early to count out the franchise having no playable characters, but with the pc's and Tom Nook, the likeliest reps for the series, appearing on the sidelines, at te moment it seems to point more to them not being playable. Granted it doesn't discount them, Tom Nook could disappear from the stage if he's playable, but currently we don't know if that's the case.

Still, I'm glad AC is at least guaranteed some rep in Brawl, and on a more significant scale than Sim City at least.

Talendime

Smash Ace
"Every franchise with a stage/item will recieve a symbol indicating where it came from, even if it doesn't have a playable character." Going by this logic, it is safe to say that Animal Crossing may not recieve a playable character. The same can be said about Yoshi.
Yeah but wasn't there an update in the music section for Yoshi's ending theme or something?
I think it's safe to say Yoshi will be there.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
"Franchise symbols don't indicate playable characters!" Going by this logic, the answer is no, Animal Crossing will not recieve a playable character. Using this logic also removes the possability that Yoshi will return.
So if Animal Crossing has a symbol but doesn't have playable characters, this guarantees that the Yoshi series won't have a playable character either? I'm not understanding this logic.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Yeah but wasn't there an update in the music section for Yoshi's ending theme or something?
I think it's safe to say Yoshi will be there.
I use that as an example. Until Yoshi is confirmed, he is in the same boat as Nook because he has a stage and a symbol (and even music), but the character has yet to appear as confirmed. Reading over Tiger's post should help explain my point a bit more.

Reguardless of how likely he is to return, nothing is 100% until it IS confirmed. At this point in time and using the evidence given, Yoshi = Nook in terms of likelyhood.

oxyborb

Smash Ace
NNID
oxyborb
3DS FC
4124-5009-7204
Reguardless of how likely he is to return, nothing is 100% until it IS confirmed. At this point in time and using the evidence given, Yoshi = Nook in terms of likelyhood.
now that's just stupid.

Yoshi will be in Brawl.
Tom Nook will most likely not.

Though, I will say almost anything can happen, Yoshi is 100% IN Brawl unless you're just stupid.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
I use that as an example. Until Yoshi is confirmed, he is in the same boat as Nook because he has a stage and a symbol (and even music), but the character has yet to appear as confirmed. Reading over Tiger's post should help explain my point a bit more.

How are you forgetting the fact that YOSHI'S BEEN IN THE LAST TWO GAMES. Their is no way they're in the same boat. They are in completely different leagues all together.

(Sorry if I sound grumpy, I pulled an all nighter as well)

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
No Ferro, I don't think you can say that. There are other factors that account for Yoshi, such as appearing in the previous 2 games as a playable character, that give him excellent chances. Tom Nook (or any other AC character, it doesn't necessarily have to be him), hasn't appeared playable yet, and isn't as significant to Nintendo as Yoshi is. You can't just simply say that because there's an AC stage now that Tom Nook has the same 99% chance of appearing as Yoshi does.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
So if Animal Crossing has a symbol but doesn't have playable characters, this guarantees that the Yoshi series won't have a playable character either? I'm not understanding this logic.
As I just explained, there is a (near-)equal amount of CONFIRMED evidence suggesting Yoshi's return as there is for Nook's. I'm in no way, shape, or form saying that Yoshi isn't coming back (I'm not stupid), but rather that people who claim "An icon does not confirm a character!" are idiots because Yoshi has nothing but a stage, music and an icon...but no character profile, just like Nook (minus the music.) I disprove the ones who claim that "Even though there is an icon and a stage, Animal Crossing is not getting a playable character" by using their own logic against them and claiming that Yoshi is in the same predicamint.

So, going by my example (and the logic of those who make the rediculous claim), Yoshi is no more confirmed than Nook, simply because the both have a stage and an icon (and Yoshi has music.)

I would also like to add something to the "Icons confirming characters" argument:

Why would they go to the trouble of creating an icon, that you won't see unless you're picking a level?

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Notice how excited Sakurai gets when he mentions playing on Saturday at 8 PM. Totakeke appears. Could this be the method of unlocking our first hidden character? Just an idea. =)

NukeA6

Smash Master
The stage has Tom Nook, Totake, and the animal crossers. We are now left with the angry Mr. Resetti.

HeroOfTime64

Smash Cadet
I believe that I speak on a lot of peoples behalf when I say that they made this stage so that they wouldn't have to have Tom Nook in Brawl. Why?

When Brawl comes out, there won't be a Tom Nook in it's roster. And AC fanboys will say "Hey! Why didn't you have our favorite taunuk who sells us useless crap in our favorite fighting game?"

And Sakurai will reply: "For god's sake! I gave you an Animal Crossing themed stage! What more do you want?"

VA

Smash Hero
In melee, all stages came from a series which we had a character from (with the exception of Battlefield and FD, smash bros ofc). So if they follow the previous pattern then we are looking at a high chance of seeing a AC character in Brawl.

BUT of course we must remember that none of this daily update stuff was done before so things may be utterly different this time around. Maybe they just want to show off as many series' as possible. But then why the icon? Ooh it's a mystery to be sure, we can only wait and see ^^

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
F-Zero already had a well established Logo. Sim City doesn't. While they could have added a logo, I don't think they're going to add logos to anything from minor games, unlike Animal Crossing, which has a pre-existing logo and is a decent sized Nintendo franchise.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
In melee, all stages came from a series which we had a character from (with the exception of Battlefield and FD, smash bros ofc). So if they follow the previous pattern then we are looking at a high chance of seeing a AC character in Brawl.
Which is the point I'm trying to make...

What's the point in giving us a stage, but not the character that completes the stage.

At the risk of sounding redundant, it's the same thing with Yoshi. They announce a stage AND music, but decide that the character itself isn't worth the effort?

And, for those of you who enjoy irony. I find it ironic that I, a person who has never even been interested in AC, is defending it's lead character(s) with more......gusto than the actual fans of the franchise.

VA

Smash Hero
Which is the point I'm trying to make...

What's the point in giving us a stage, but not the character that completes the stage.

At the risk of sounding redundant, it's the same thing with Yoshi. They announce a stage AND music, but decide that the character itself isn't worth the effort?

And, for those of you who enjoy irony. I find it ironic that I, a person who has never even been interested in AC, is defending it's lead character(s) with more......gusto than the actual fans of the franchise.
Well you do make a good point. But as Mic says, they may just be adding symbols to the more established series. Besides, Nook and Keke are shown in the level as it is, as are most of the more dinstinctive characters. So who is left? Resetti? I think not.

As I have said before, this is all merely specualtion, not a huge point in arguing when all we can really do is wait.:confused:

whitekirby

Smash Cadet
Along with the 8:00 thing already mentioned, mabye the first time you do this Tom Nook jumps out and attacks you. You beat him, hes added to roster, hes never in Smashville again, and everyones happy. except the Tom Nook haters.

Arteen

Smash Lord
As I just explained, there is a (near-)equal amount of CONFIRMED evidence suggesting Yoshi's return as there is for Nook's.
Yes, the site has confirmed only Yoshi music and a Yoshi stage, along with only an AC stage (and of course the stage would need music to go along with it, so it's not a wild assumption that there will be music), but the franchises are in vastly different positions regarding their status as iconic Nintendo properties, so it's not "ridiculous" or "idiotic" to suggest that Yoshi may have a character representative and AC may not.

I would also like to add something to the "Icons confirming characters" argument:

Why would they go to the trouble of creating an icon, that you won't see unless you're picking a level?
Making that icon is hardly "trouble," and having a franchise stage on the menu without an appropriate icon would look unpolished or even plainly wrong. In the game, icons are associated only with stages and characters, and one the stage select screen, marking the AC stage with the SSB icon would just be incorrect.

I believe that I speak on a lot of peoples behalf when I say that they made this stage so that they wouldn't have to have Tom Nook in Brawl.
I agree. I thought that the team might try to give franchises whose characters might not be suited for playable status (like AC) some representation in the form of stages, and I reason that this is the case for AC.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Mr Resetti for Brawl.
Either playable or as an AT.

EDIT: Do levels have Icons in melee?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Okay just because the AC have a stage dosn't mean that a character will be fighting in the game. Its time to think outside the box. Its not Melee anymore, did SSB have HRC NO, did SSB more than 1 single player mode NO, did SSB have a 2D character NO. Just because SSB had Board the Platforms did that mean SSBM had to? NO! This will be the same with Melee to Brawl. Levels can have Icons without characters, its not against the law. Plus Yoshi has a better chance because all characters from the first series have a 100% chance of returning, I'd most likely say that we haven't seen mr.resetti cause there was only 5 friekien pages which is clearly not enough to show that mr.Resetti would be in one of them. At the most Mr.Resetti will be a Assiste Trophy while tom nook sells his goods in the backround to the Human AC characters.

Top Bottom