• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Angled Phantasm...WHAT?!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
As the name implies, either I have gone insane/my eyesight is getting really really poor/ I actually have a photo along with a match on my Wii to prove that it is actually possible to actually make a Phantasm go another way besides completly straight?!

Yeah here I am going about Wifi just looking to play some games and I happen to catch a guy who played Falco. Here we are minding our own business just playing the game and I happen to be winning by one entire stock. So moreorless towards the end of the video I happen to hit the guy offstage and his choice of recovery is a Phantasm...the only difference is from what I see he was too low and should've missed the ledge, but somehow on accident I suppose he actually went up just a little bit and caught it!

Ater I see that I am still fighting him and I still end up winning but I remember that to my knowledge nobody on the Falco forums has yet to find out how to make a Phantasm do that. So why am I telling you all this? Because unfortunately I don't have any way to upload the match from my Wii to my Computer, and I was hoping somebody around here would have some recording/uploading capabilities...anybody else wanna try and help me improve Falco's metagame, PLEASE?!

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Falco has the ability to grab the ledge when he doesn't look like he should be able to during phantasm. When he does this, it appears like he makes an odd looking phantasm. We've actually had a topic about this before.

Rewatch the video. Make sure he didn't make a perfectly straight phantasm until the very end where, ledge-grabbing made it look slightly curved. Basically, without the ledge, Falco would still go straight. This is a ledge-only situation...and...he didn't do any AT to cause the phantasm to curve. The ledge did all the work.

waks

Smash Journeyman
This may have looked angled because the falco probably sweetspotted the ledge.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I would only be exited if the phantasm can move completly upwards, then we will have no use of the FireBird

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
I would only be exited if the phantasm can move completly upwards, then we will have no use of the FireBird
That would be game breaking.

And it was most likely the sweetspot of the ledge. The Falco just went straight for the most part then just snapped upwards yeah?

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
This is known.

There is a very small window in which the phantasm will automatically angle so it snaps to the edge. I believe it relies on both vertical and horizontal spacing from the edge, as I've never seen it happen at extremely close or long range. The only application I can think of would be to avoid stage height projectiles gimping your recovery.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
This is known.

There is a very small window in which the phantasm will automatically angle so it snaps to the edge. I believe it relies on both vertical and horizontal spacing from the edge, as I've never seen it happen at extremely close or long range. The only application I can think of would be to avoid stage height projectiles gimping your recovery.
That would certainly make me go WTF.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
This is known.

That's what I'm talking about, that picture right there is what I have photoed and on video, what I would like to know is how can you do it in intention to make the phantasm jump like that, because to my knowledge the only AT to Phantasm is to cancel it. Not unless what somebody said here is that it has to be sweetspotted perfectly, then to be able to replicate at will would defintaly further boost his recovery game.

Codi

Smash Ace
its going in that angel because of the auto grab for the edge he shoots foward but he hits the exact end of the edge which makes him look as though the phantasm is going up but it rly just went straight and he caught onto the ledge

Top Bottom