• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An overlooked move?

R4ZE

Smash Ace
So all of us are familier with sonic's Spindash/charge jump cancel that goes straight up into the air while in a spin animation.

(this thread was inspired by watching sonic speed runs on the genesis and noticing the similarities in sonics movments, and i was thinking how cool it would be if sonic could damage thigns by jump at them like on the genesis, oh wait.... he can!)

I'd like to propose some ideas regarding it:
-I beleive this jump goes slightly higher than sonics normal single jump (possibly!!)
-This attack can at some points, deal damage to opponents
-This attack is cancelabile by many if not all of sonic's moves. and therefore, no drawbacks?
-This move is not used very often by sonic players, and probobly often forgotten about
-This move is usable in competetive situations, if nothing else for mindgames.
-also while using this move, you can easily change direction before your jump, allowing easier and more reliable BAIR (also your oponent wont know which way sonic is facing)
-This move could be as useful as a grounded spindash/charge, except directed into the air... because if u think about it, thats really all it is... maybe it has matching priortiy and can be another combo application for sonic?

well anyway. please discuss and throw us some of your own ideas and opinions on this move.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So all of us are familier with sonic's Spindash/charge jump cancel that goes straight up into the air while in a spin animation.

(this thread was inspired by watching sonic speed runs on the genesis and noticing the similarities in sonics movments, and i was thinking how cool it would be if sonic could damage thigns by jump at them like on the genesis, oh wait.... he can!)

-I beleive this jump goes slightly higher than sonics normal single jump (possibly!!)
-This attack is cancelabile by many if not all of sonic's moves. and therefore, no drawbacks?
-This move is not used very often by sonic players, and probobly often forgotten about
-also while using this move, you can easily change direction before your jump, allowing easier and more reliable BAIR (also your oponent wont know which way sonic is facing)
-This move could be as useful as a grounded spindash/charge, except directed into the air... because if u think about it, thats really all it is... maybe it has matching priortiy and can be another combo application for sonic?

well anyway. please discuss and throw us some of your own ideas and opinions on this move.
-no Yes, it does. I failed :<
-yes, i think until about 1/4 of the way back down, or until you can cancel it with another down/side B (this is part of the "infinite jump" technique that Twinkletoes put down- jump cancelled side B's over and over again)
-one drawback is that it moves slow horizontally, since you have to stop to do it.
-yes
-yes
-yes
-eh.. think more like a spindash jump.

speaking of spin dash jumps, I've been using those more and more often, partly since they work like Sonic's Genesis jumps (like this, they damage stuff)
..except you can "tackle" people with it in midair and it travels faster. I scored a KO doing a spindash jump tackle lol

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I use this a lot actually... mainly for two things:
1) Infinite jumping.
2) Mind-gaming with my side-b.

The downside is obviously that it can't be short hopped which is somewhat problematic.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
well im going to incorperate it into my agme for atleast today and see how it goes.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
It goes higher than the normal jump. Go test it.

I like how it goes slowly through the air... I usually go away from my opponent and then, if they start rushing at me, I use a Homing Attack, evading their attack by going slightly up and then canceling it for a free hit.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
I usually combine it with a homing attack,its good for messing up the opponent.

I don't know when I'll get online with the wii again but,Boxob,could you write in my fc? I 'll write in yours as soon as I can get wii online again. I want to see how I would do against a pro Sonic,lag or not.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I usually combine it with a homing attack,its good for messing up the opponent.

I don't know when I'll get online with the wii again but,Boxob,could you write in my fc? I 'll write in yours as soon as I can get wii online again. I want to see how I would do against a pro Sonic,lag or not.
Sure, I'll add you right now.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
yea u tilt is kind underused... i think the main reason for that is that: dtilt is the sam speed, and knocks them up... and if ur countering and arial attack.... u smash is easier to execute, can be charged, (i think has more priority) and in general would be prefered... .

but both moves have the same knockback, and utilt could be preffered because: there is no post delay, and it would help level out damage decay...

honestly the main reason i dont use it is because i hyphen smash in its place, and its too hard to pull of a utilt for me.... because i either jump or smash.

i use all of sonics throws. fthrow, and uthrow are sweet for knocking them into the air.

J18

Smash Journeyman
the move that i have the most trouble incorporating in my game is utilt. just because i use tap jump, and i have trouble setting it up. unless it's uthrow utilt with big characters. but in general i need to incorporate all of my tilts a lot more.

Tenki

Smash Hero
try doing u-tilt out of shield or out of early dash attacks.

at low %'s, early dash attacks can go into f-tilts, but at higher %'s they flow into u-tilts better.

[edit]
early dash attack as in it cancels as soon as possible after you hit them. I usually end up behind my opponent and have to do a turnaround u-tilt/f-tilt/whatever

R4ZE

Smash Ace
when i use dash attack, i execute it to where i end it behind my opponent, not in front... i guess i could sitll incorperate it. but i would have to turn around, and its easier to do fsmash...

but hey, ill give a shot yo =)

FrostByte

Smash Lord
You can get hit out of an early dash attack by characters with fast bairs/nairs. You can probably utilt without fear if your dash attack ends right at the edge, meaning you don't need to turn around.

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
I definately don't think spin dash jump is underused. I use it all the time. Spin dash and spin charge are my bread and butter. I do, however, think a lot of people use spin dash when they should use spin charge.

U-tilt is amazing. I usually do two jabs and an u-tilt, then follow them into the air. my favorite way to kill with sonic is to chase them off the top of the stage with consecutive uairs, but it's hard to pull off (specially against link's pogo stick of death.)

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I did something very interesting with Sonic the other day, which applies to this topic. I spin dash, jumped, footstooled opponent, moved back to position, spin dash, jumped, footstooled jump, moved back to position, and I kept repeating this process 4 times in a row. It was like a chain grab, lol. Cause whenever my opponent would try to get back up he would be hit by spin dash, and the spin dash jump and the footstool. It definitly chained together. I wish I could of recorded that match...... I wish matches could be recordable over 3 minutes...

Tenki

Smash Hero
I did something very interesting with Sonic the other day, which applies to this topic. I spin dash, jumped, footstooled opponent, moved back to position, spin dash, jumped, footstooled jump, moved back to position, and I kept repeating this process 4 times in a row. It was like a chain grab, lol. Cause whenever my opponent would try to get back up he would be hit by spin dash, and the spin dash jump and the footstool. It definitly chained together. I wish I could of recorded that match...... I wish matches could be recordable over 3 minutes...
lol I do something like that- "shuttle loop" movement doing spindash > double jump (/footstool)> spindash to complete the loop.

I think I've done it twice in a row, but I usually go into aerial combo after the 1st loop.

nice use for it though - chain looping XD

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
personally i think spin dash cancel is very underused. i'm watching some matches and practically see no one use it. there are times where performing it could provide a free fsmash or something else.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman

I'm having trouble visualizing this. What exactly are you talking about? When you use the Spin Dash or Spin Charge...and then press the jump button to cancel it? Or press A so Sonic does a jumping/hitting attack?

:confused:

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm having trouble visualizing this. What exactly are you talking about? When you use the Spin Dash or Spin Charge...and then press the jump button to cancel it? Or press A so Sonic does a jumping/hitting attack?

:confused:
When you use side-B (officially "spin dash", but imo should be called "spin charge") and jump cancel the charge. You can do it with down-b too but I think it's easier/ quicker /more useful to do side-B since you can do b-reversals to hide B-airs.

Pressing Jump OR attack do the same thing, which is give you the spindash jump, the one with the glowy attack aura around it.

in other words, using spindash jumps from a cancelled charge is what he's talking about.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
lol I do something like that- "shuttle loop" movement doing spindash > double jump (/footstool)> spindash to complete the loop.

I think I've done it twice in a row, but I usually go into aerial combo after the 1st loop.

nice use for it though - chain looping XD
Yup, its an eye catcher move. lol. I hope I'll be able to duplicate this move again so I can record it and upload it online. Or maybe some of you Sonic players can do this. Its not too hard to do. But it only works with spin charge (down+B) It wont work with side b cause of the hop makes this chain attack slower, but it can still work, if your opponent doesnt get up right away from his laying down position. I like the name btw Tenki. lol.

Tenki

Smash Hero
so I was messing around with this a bit, while trying to get used to my custom controls on wii-chuck:

Single jump (full/shorthop works) > Side-B + dj cancel + d-air (quickly)

It's such a feint o_o;
but then I messed around with it more for edgeguarding:

Run > Forward Jump > Side-B backwards + dj cancel + b-air (quickly)

the side-B+djc+b-air works like a midair RAR.

Since all of your movement is facing forward up until the side-b DJ cancel, they might not expect the b-air.

it's definitely more use than the grounded B-reversal.

worth a practice or two? :x maybe?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Reverse Aerial Rush. It's really nothing fancy. It's basically a name attached to the fact that running momentum is canceled by jumping. So, what you could do is run, turn around, and jump backwards and there wouldn't be any momentum issues like there would have been in Melee. You will jump through the air as you normally would. The point of it is to approach your opponent with bairs.

Top Bottom