• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An overall analysis of Falco's moves

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I plan to add which mix up combos are good for Falco, but this is an analysis of Falco's individual moves and some of their purposes. I haven't seen the guide here for this in a while. I figured I'd give my opinion on Falco's moveset

Jab attack-This attack does very well for spacing because of its range and pushes away your opponent if they shield it.(AAA) The single or double jab can be used for checking sidestep dodges. If they sidestep when you jab, you can grab them. If not, you can just continue the jab combo.

Dash attack-Quick attack to punish moves with little lag. This move can set up combos and get away from hitting shields if used late enough. Dash attack has 2 hit boxes. First hit box sets up up tilts and shield grabs and the second hits them in front for another dash attack, reflector, or side smash. Another one of Falco's underrated move.

Tilts:
Side Tilt-Good for spacing and hitting people who try to space you with a quick attack that doesn't lag like the reflector.

Up tilt-This attack is completely underrated. It has so many good uses and puts the opponent at such a bad position against Falco. Also it hits twice and spaces people who shield.

Down tilt- A quick pop-up attack that can be used at certain times (only when they're just on the tip of its range) or you get punished.

Smash Attacks:
Side Smash- A strong move, but has a good amount of lag. It's good to use this backwards next to the opponent out of respawn because of it's backwards hit box. It's also a good move to catch air dodges to the floor. One of Falco's best kill moves.

Up Smash- Falco's best kill move. Falcos kill with this move about 70% of all of their kills(from my observations) It's fast, has a good range all around him and spaces when it hits shields.

Down Smash- A good move to use if you're stuck next to the opponent to mix up from a roll away. Best to use after a sidestep dodge because of the speed of the dodge to end and the attack to begin.

Specials:

Laser-There are threads on just this move. The laser is probably Falco's most useful tool. It adds pressure to have others approach you. Check the other threads for all of the tricks and mind games for the laser because it's just too much to list here.

Phantasm-Easily Falco's number one recovery move. It can be canceled to glide away from punishing attacks from high up. Great to use with the laser in camping mind games.

Firebird-Horrible move, don't use it. Ever. Even to try to get a laser lock

Reflector-It's a good move to use to catch aggressive players like MKs that aren't very cautious in their approach. The trip allows you to punish tech rolls. The lag for it to return to Falco makes this move so unusable.

Throws:
Down Throw-Falco's best throw and one of his best moves. Down throws link into chain grabs and to spikes or Forward smashes for more damage if the spike won't kill. Also does the most damage compared to other throws.

Forward Throw-It can mix up a chain grab from the down throw if you dash attack cancel a running grab when they're trying to only DI out of your down throw.

Up throw-Puts them at a bad position when Falco can punish from below. Not too much else to talk about. It's unpredictable because of the lasers. Full hop lasers may combo with this throw.

Back throw-Flies a good distance for lower percentages, but also unpredictable because of the lasers. Short hop lasers can combo with this throw.

Aerials:
Up air- Good kill move for Falco because of how high Falco can jump and get to people to use it. It makes people air dodge and sets up for a spike. Also a fast fall weak up air combos on the floor into almost anything.

Forward air-Only use this move to catch people off guard, very rarely. If you must use this, use it only in the air. The lag is horrible and can be DI-ed out of.

Down air-The speed this move has to initiate it as well as the little amount of landing lag makes this a great move, not to mention the spiking potential it has. Using it out of a rising full hop makes it a safe alternate to get away from being in close quarters with a character like snake. The down air has a lot of punish potential, for example air dodging Falco's up air sets up into a down air.

Back air- It's good to reverse aerial rush with this move as well as using it for ledge guards or to punish air dodges. One of Falco's good kill moves because of its power and were it's used.

Neutral air- Very good move to space with because of the DI you can do while in the air. Good to fast fall because of its little amount of lag. Great move to use to pressure shields.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I like Up-Tilt, it deals good damage and can lead to N-Air's or U-Air's can lock some characters I think.

Top Bottom