• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An obvious reason why no SSB64 stages were included

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Okay, I know most people probably already thought of this, but the reason for not adding SSB64 stages is quite simple. They'd have to update the graphics. The stages were acceptable in Melee, they stood out, but not too much. Whereas in Brawl, even the Melee stages look somewhat antiquated in comparison to the Brawl stages. The N64 stages would look terrible, and it would be really odd to see these beautifully modelled and textured characters fighting in this crap-looking stage (unless you use 4 Mr. Game & Watches :p).

Personally, I'm excited to see how well I can make the classic stages myself in the stage builder. I still own the original game, so I can check them like that.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
They had 3 years. They could have given them a graphical update if they wanted to.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
They had 3 years. They could have given them a graphical update if they wanted to.
QFT.

After adding all the extra crap like coin shooter and VC demo's with the delays, I no longer have any mercy for Sakurai and his merry band of developers.

Biolizard28

Smash Cadet
Too bad we can't perfectly emulate Saffron City, eh? It was my favorite stage in the original. It's just not the same without the "Pokemon Door".

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
The whole point of including ssb64 stages in melee was that they were retro, and it was entertaining seeing a (somewhat) realistic gannondorf fighting on a poorly pixelated cloud.
That should have been no different for Brawl.
However, I could care less if they did/did not include ssb64 stages.

EDIT: Just look at the old school Donkey Kong stage.
It's nostalgia.

Yes!!

Smash Rookie
To me, that was the POINT of having them.

I WANTED to see a stage on it with less textures than Fox's left glove. I thought it would've been awesome, unique, and amazingly nostalgic.

No excuses, they were just lazy about it, I think. That is definitely not a good reason for why they didn't, if anything it's a reason for why they would.

Arteen

Smash Lord
That reasoning fails since there are a couple levels in Brawl that use 8-bit graphics and such.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
They weren't lazy, they just didn't want to. Should be obvious from how much effort was put into the game. However, Stage Builder ftw.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
To me, that was the POINT of having them.

I WANTED to see a stage on it with less textures than Fox's left glove. I thought it would've been awesome, unique, and amazingly nostalgic.

No excuses, they were just lazy about it, I think. That is definitely not a good reason for why they didn't, if anything it's a reason for why they would.
What this good invidividual said.

I only wanted them in if they were still N64 graphics.

kirborg

Smash Cadet
they probably just left them out becouse they were obsolete, just as they dumped some melee clone characters. if they include every thing that has been in all the previous smash games so far the game would become one big mess.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai prefers to keep them in their original states. They could've updated the Past Stages in Melee, or the Melee stages in Brawl, but they didn't, and I'm kinda glad they didn't.
While the changes were minor, they DID update the included Melee stages. READ DOJO PLZ.

Besides, in a game with 8-bit Assist Trophies running around, and a all 2D character, I can't imagine what COULDN'T fit.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
That reasoning fails since there are a couple levels in Brawl that use 8-bit graphics and such.
That's for nostalgia purposes. There's nothing nostalgic about a poorly textured/modelled stage. Maybe in the next one they'll have retro stages, but I never saw it happening in this one.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
They could have added them.

They didn't.

That's all.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
bobman you should take those spoilers out of your sig.

Someone could be trying to avoid spoilers, only to be spoiled by your sig.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
I think the obvious reason they weren't included is because they weren't that good in the first place.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I think the obvious reason they weren't included is because they weren't that good in the first place.
Hyrule Castle, Peach's Castle, Saffron City, Dreamland, and Kongo Jungle were all great stages. Mushroom Kingdom's pipes were awesome. Heck, Sector Z was good enough to be remade! Brinstar is essentially a remake of Planet Zebes.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Well, they were good for their time. The 64 stages had some good ideas that were executed well, but melee's stages used a lot of those ideas and executed them even better, and I suspect brawl to take it another step further (I haven't seen a lot of the stages in brawl, i'm trying to keep some of it a surprise).

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps you didn't get the not-so-subtle hint. Why are you even bringing it up?
Because if they could bother to put "negligible to the point of not even being note-worthy" changes in Melee stages, adding higher res to 64 stages, or simply just slapping them on would both be viable options.

funnyfaceju

Smash Cadet
are yes and demon kirby on something, drugs maybe

i was reading "yes"'s post and sayin wow, nice side but then i saw that word, THAT WORD. LAZuhh. I CANT EVEN WRITE IT. THAT IS THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF THIS GAME. KNOW WHATS LAuhhY, MOVIE GAMES-SPIDERMAN,XMEN,SPIDERWICK, BUT NO. NOT BRAWL. theres no thinkin about it. these devs are probably the hardest workin people in a game with the exception of mmo's so never call anythin in this game laz-uhh, or anything near or on these boards. and demon kirby says, hes good and stuff. his head is on backwards sayin its a http://smashboards.com/images/smilies/mad.gif
:mad:

also, i kinda agree with the OP, i mean they are classics but outdated

IcyFire!

Smash Rookie
Too bad we can't perfectly emulate Saffron City, eh? It was my favorite stage in the original. It's just not the same without the "Pokemon Door".
Ah man, I haven't played N64 in a while and had almost forgotten about that stage. I agree it would have been fun to see the old stages in brawl but its something i don't mind living without.

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
Meh, I always figured it was because they had quite a few "equivalents", that even some of the Melee stages where just a gesture.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
They'd have to update the graphics.
No they wouldn't. They could have put them in just the way they were. It wouldn't stand out any more than it did in Melee, especially sine the game specifically tells you which stages are from past entries.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
That's for nostalgia purposes. There's nothing nostalgic about a poorly textured/modelled stage. Maybe in the next one they'll have retro stages, but I never saw it happening in this one.
Yeah. Totally nothing nostalgic about that... are you ok? :ohwell:

"Did you see the recreation someone's done already? It's pretty sweet, except for one lift; it was kind of off."

No I didn't! Link please!!!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They wouldn't have to update the graphics...

64 bit graphics in Brawl would have looked awesome!!!

Top Bottom